What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > Man goes to observe wolves. Female alpha led a large pack. Picture of the author in the back of the book with him in an aircraft or helicopter. Front of book had wolf prints in snow. Main character would go out some seasons and go back to civilization?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel Watts (new)

Daniel Watts | 2 comments So back in 2014, I was deployed on a Navy ship and we had this box of books and in this box, I found a book with snow I believe on the cover with wolf tracks. The book was supposedly a non-fiction of this guy who was studying a pack of wolves on and off a few years but also had to cover his tracks because hunters were looking to kill the wolves. I remember the author supposedly was able to actually physically touch and interact with the wolves specifically the FEMALE alpha. I believe in the end he lost track of the pack or had to discontinue his studies. I think in the very back of the book a guy had his headphones on and was sitting in an aircraft overlooking some wilderness. I have looked all over the internet looking for a hint or clue but I can just vaguely remember it all. I know there is supposedly a scene where the main guy gets into a heated match with some trappers. I remember that the first instances of the wolves and him co-mingling were at a campfire. Most times the guy kept a distance and observed the pack giving details on what they were doing, I think he was also in a shack that was rather run down by himself.

message 3: by Daniel Watts (new)

Daniel Watts | 2 comments Joseph wrote: "Possibly In the Shadow of a Rainbow: The True Story of a Friendship Between Man and Wolf by Robert Franklin Leslie."

Might be it! I'm going to do some reading and find out if it is. Sounds very similar!

message 4: by Kris (last edited Dec 07, 2018 08:41AM) (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
Here's a short Google Books preview of In the Shadow of a Rainbow by Robert Franklin Leslie - Joseph's suggestion:

https://books.google.com/books?id=f1c... There are different cover images.

message 5: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 3 comments This could also possibly be Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat