Start by marking “In the Shadow of a Rainbow” as Want to Read:
In the Shadow of a Rainbow

In the Shadow of a Rainbow

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Gregory Tah-Kloma learns the meaning of an Indian saying when he is determined to search for a female leader of a pack of timber wolves, and to find the wolf and her pack before trappers and bounty hunters could destroy them
Published September 1st 1986 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of a Rainbow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Shadow of a Rainbow

VJ
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is such a remarkable story about the bond between man and wolf. I love how Tah-Kloma shared a detailed account of his encounters with Nahani -- an enormous silver wolf with a bounty on her head -- and his growing understanding of her and her pack's behavior, the way she led them and delegated tasks on them, and how Tah-Kloma learned the meaning behind the slightest whimper, the flick of an ear, the wagging of tail, the bending of a knee, etc., as Nahani taught him how a wolf communicates an ...more
Jesse Nolan
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
As a lover of the outdoors, I really enjoyed this book. It is quite remarkable how a man was able to form a friendship with the leader of a pack of wolves. Even more impressive was how he was able to track these wolves over vast amounts of land for several years. The book is even blessed with an enemy, the evil Trapper Dan, who wants to take down the lead wolf for the bounty that is placed on her hide.
Lucia
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A favorite when I was a child, this book still stirs emotions in me.
The story of a friendship between man and wolf is always fascinating to a child; as a grown up, I'm equally fascinated by the journey of a lonely man (a boy really) on foot, across the wildest areas of Canada
Samuel
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this true and beautiful story of the bond between a man and wolf. When anything strengthens the bonds of friendship, the friends have walked in the shadow of the rainbow.
Ann
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it
good book.
Travis
Apr 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting book that was sent to me by my old adventure-racing teammate from Australia. Kind of old school, basically the writer wrote the story from the notes and memory of the guy who lived it. Most interesting to me was the observations on the body language of the wolves and how they maintained social cohesion. I also liked being transported away from my cozy apartment to sleeping in a musty sleeping bag on a a sand bank in Canada next to the wolves' den, and not being a single mosquito-bite ...more
Janet
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-read
I read this book maybe 20 years ago and it's remained as one of the top books I've ever read.
I loaned it to a boyfriend along with an equally important book, "Sounder", and never got them back; never missed the guy but mourned the loss of my books ever since.
Sounder was not the dog book, but a book about a mother whale and her calf written from the whale's point of view. I'll be searching for it on goodreads next.
Rats! Could not find my "Sounder." If anyone knows of this book (could I have the n
Terri Kempton
Sep 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
An interesting enough account of a Native man in the 60's who befriends a notorious matriarch wolf in the wilds of British Columbia. Lots of day-to-day details on hiking, camping, tracking, and wolf pack interactions. The narrator includes quotes from the man's journal he kept during this three-year trek. I kept wishing that kid in Into the Wild had hung out with this resourceful survivalist for a while before living in the bus....
Claire
Aug 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I read this in middle school (twice!) and over the years forgot the title, but I never forgot this book. I thought it was amazing then and it probably still is. I need to read it again now that I've FINALLY found the title, thanks to this website! (Remembering only "Rainbow" doesn't work well with Google)
Robert B Rand
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life, I bought me closer to the "thing" I was looking for? If you know what I mean, I was a child of the environmental movement in the '70's, This book took me to where I wanted to be, for most of my life. Read it.
Zack
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing and beautiful account of understanding another species characteristics through respect and compassion, wherein resulting in a unexpected, found love amongst two different beings. Incredible that it's a true story all the same!
Mandy
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
If you love wolves and wilderness stories than you will enjoy this. I really did like it, but there were a few parts that were slow and dragged and for awhile there I worried the story was going to be more about Greg and his conflict with Trapper-Dan. was always great when Nahani was present.
Jill
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, sell
check out my review on youtube:
Vani Kannan
Jun 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my very favorite books. A beautiful story written in quiet prose, set in the Canadian wilderness.
Brenda
Dec 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dead-boring, meh
The bond between the man and the wolf is unbelievable! I didn't know that kind of friendship could exist.
Eric
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2012
This book is downright fantastic! Really transportive and gorgeous.
Toesnorth's mom
Dec 08, 2012 added it
Shelves: mom-s
true story about wolves, excellent
Pat
Mimi
Jan 17, 2015
Sara Weber-Quinton
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book. Read in a single sitting.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Gift of the Deer
  • Ordinary People as Monks and Mystics: Lifestyles for Self-discovery
  • High Tech/High Touch: Technology and Our Search for Meaning
  • The New Noah
  • The Black Beast (The Book of Isle, #4)
  • The Practice of Spiritual Direction
  • Bark If You Love Me (Harvest Book)
  • As For Me And My House: Crafting Your Marriage To Last