What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Cops are desperate enough to call in a Psychic consultant to solve a crime or find a missing person.

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Jun 16, 2019 09:55AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments Contemporary Romance, Mystery, or Suspense where the Cops are desperate enough to call in a psychic consultant to solve a crime or find a missing person. I prefer adult fiction. Both standalones or any titles from a series are fine. I read from both contemporary and paranormal but in this case I'd like the character to be a HUMAN psychic and NOT a shifter or vamp who also happens to be psychic. I like those too, but they're easy to find. However, if there's one you really want to mention then go ahead.

It could be any type of law enforcement effort, maybe someone working cold cases, or abductions, or the hunt for a serial killer, etc. Or even parents hiring someone to find their missing child.

It's okay if the characters already believe in the supernatural, but I especially like books where doubters become believers. I love the whole "skeptic vs. psychic" theme where the police think the psychic is a con artist or a charlatan, but gradually they realize it's real and it rocks their rational/logical little minds. Any variations on this are fine, there's a good chance I'd be interested.

Examples are:

Tuesday's Child (Psychic Visions, #1) by Dale Mayer Tuesday's Child by Dale Mayer

Blindsight by Tina Wainscott Blindsight by Tina Wainscott

The Missing (The FBI Psychics, #1) by Shiloh Walker The Missing by Shiloh Walker

I also would love anything similar to Kay Hooper's Psychic FBI books from the Bishop/Special Crimes series.

Stealing Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit, #1; Shadows, #1) by Kay Hooper
Stealing Shadows by Kay Hooper

message 2: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (manduck) | 112 comments Deadly Remains
This is supernatural but is kind of what you want (I would rater just list it and let you decide) Dead Spots

message 5: by Amy*skye.rhyme (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments Mandy wrote: "Deadly Remains
This is supernatural but is kind of what you want (I would rater just list it and let you decide) Dead Spots"

Heck yeah! I loved Deadly Remains and the rest of that paranormal/uf series. Red is one of the best sidekick characters ever. I've read Dead Spots too. Thanks though. All suggestions are welcome, no matter the genre, but like I was saying, it's only the human psychics I'm having trouble finding.

message 6: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Dec 06, 2018 12:29PM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments SamSpayedPI wrote: "Pressure Head"

Pressure Head sounds good, thank you. I forgot to mention that I do like gay romance, although mostly just m/m. Menage is fine too, in case anyone is wondering.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever read "Cronin's Key" by N.R. Walker? It's not really what I'm looking for with this book request, but it's just a great trilogy and fairly unknown, so I thought I'd mention it even if it's off topic. It's gay romance with a really unusual paranormal/uf plot and is one of my all-time favorites.

Cronin's Key (Cronin's Key, #1) by N.R. Walker Cronin's Key by N.R. Walker?

message 7: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Dec 07, 2018 05:45AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1658 comments Amy*skye.rhyme wrote: "Just out of curiosity, have you ever read "Cronin's Key" by N.R. Walker?"

Not yet; I've read some N.R. Walker and I like her Spencer Cohen series, but the Cronin's Key series is still on my TBR (I lean towards werewolves, not vampires).

The Reading Raccoon (readingraccoon) | 145 comments The Soul Summoner

The young woman gives away her psychic powers by accident but she does get involved in an investigation.

message 9: by Gloria (new)

Gloria | 38 comments I think both Linda Howard and Anne Stuart have written about psychics helping law enforcement agencies

message 10: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Dec 08, 2018 07:48AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments The Reading Raccoon wrote: "The Soul Summoner

The young woman gives away her psychic powers by accident but she does get involved in an investigation."

The Soul Summoner (The Soul Summoner, #1) by Elicia Hyder

Thank you for the suggestion. The Soul Summoner by Elicia Hyder does fit the theme I'm looking for, but I've read it already. I liked it a lot. The banter between the heroine and the detective is some of the best dialogue I've ever read.

Gloria wrote: "I think both Linda Howard and Anne Stuart have written about psychics helping law enforcement agencies"

Thank you. I'll browse thru the books written by both authors. I've read Dream Man by Linda Howard, but not really anything else, so I'll likely find something I haven't read yet. I don't think I've read anything from Anne Stuart either. Romantic suspense or military fiction with a tiny bit of the paranormal or the unexplained OR human cops working with somebody with psychic abilities as part of a crime-solving plot is exactly what I want.

message 11: by Gloria (new)

Gloria | 38 comments You're welcome

message 12: by Gloria (new)

Gloria | 38 comments The book I was thinking about by Anne Stuart is Special Gifts

I read it so long ago cant really remember much except that she has psychic abilities and he's in some sort of law enforcement, not sure if she has written other books with psychics in them.

message 13: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Dec 13, 2018 08:54PM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments Here are a few more examples of what I'm looking for, but I've already read all of these.

I just thought maybe my request was a bit muddled, so if anyone has also read any of these and can think of any more "read-alikes" I might get another couple of similar books. Thank you!

Vibrations by Lorena Wood Vibrations by Lorena Wood

Seeing Love Saints Protection & Investigations by Maryann Jordan Seeing Love: Saints Protection & Investigations by Maryann Jordan

Mind Reader (The Reunited Hearts, #2) by Victoria Cole Mind Reader by Vicki Hinze/Victoria Cole

Bringing Benjy Home (Security Ops) by Kylie Brant Bringing Benjy Home by Kylie Brant

message 14: by kelgar01 (new)

kelgar01 | 183 comments I didn't see if you minded a series where only one of the books has this theme, so J.D. Robb has Visions in Death. The psychic makes a brief appearance in a later book, but not anything much to speak of.

message 15: by Moloch (last edited Dec 14, 2018 05:02AM) (new)

Moloch | 275 comments The Psychic and the Sleuth (historical romance)

message 16: by Amber (Daisymau) (new)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1068 comments Primal Instinct (Instinct #1) by Janie Crouch Primal Instinct by Janie Crouch

It takes places in San Francisco. The h is a psychic and has been given the duty of catching a serial killer. The H is one of the FBI agents on the case.

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments It's not quite what you requested but Sisterland has a psychic who claims to be able to predict earthquakes, and there is some confusion over whether her powers are real.

message 18: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Dec 21, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments Thank you everyone!

Kelgar01......thank you! J.D. Robb's In Death series has been on my tbr list for a while, so maybe I'll bump that to the top...

Amber......thanks for the suggestion of Primal Instinct by Janie Crouch! I just read it and really enjoyed it. I see there are books for each of the other sisters as well.

Rachel.....thanks! I've never heard of Sisterland by Curtis Sittenfeld. I read the blurb for it and it sounds like it's right up my alley. One sister rejecting her abilities and the other publicly embracing them will probably be a lot like the "psychic vs. skeptic" angle I like so much.

Moloch......thank you. I'll check out The Psychic and the Sleuth by Bonnie Dee

message 19: by Amy*skye.rhyme (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments Bump

message 20: by Serena (new)

Serena | 93 comments blood and ink by lisa unger

message 21: by MJ (new)

MJ | 1340 comments ... I now realise this is a bit more PRN based than you were looking for... but I just spent so long searching for it, I'm gunna add it FYI.

Check out Disembodied Bones by C.L. Bevill

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 22: by Amy*skye.rhyme (last edited Jun 18, 2019 05:32PM) (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments MJ wrote: "... I now realise this is a bit more PRN based than you were looking for... but I just spent so long searching for it, I'm gunna add it FYI.

Check out Disembodied Bones by C.L. Bevill

https://ww..."

I'm glad you did mention it MJ! I actually read tons of paranormal/uf stuff but since it's so easy to find psychic characters there, I decided to focus my search on the harder to find psychics in contemporary romance or police drama/suspense. However, you managed to pick a perfect book for me cuz one of my other favorite themes lately is supernaturals being revealed or unmasked to humans for some reason. It sounds like the Lake People series might also have something at least a little similar to that.

message 23: by Amy*skye.rhyme (new)

Amy*skye.rhyme | 184 comments Serena wrote: "blood and ink by lisa unger"

Thank you for thinking of another book I may like Serena. I've never even heard of Lisa Unger and several of the Hollows books sound pretty good. I'll check them out. I think this definitely fits what I was looking for so thanks!