Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2019 Old & New Classic Challenge > Angie is Trying Again - Old & New Challenge 2019

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (last edited Nov 24, 2019 09:18PM) (new)

Angie | 583 comments So far, I've done an abysmal job on this challenge. Hopefully this year will go better.

For my theme, I'm focusing on cleaning up my TBR shelf (or at least making a dent). And because I'm a nerd, I've broken the books down into sub-themes, too.

1899 and earlier 19th Century Classics from the group bookshelf
1. The Hunchback of Notre-Dame, 1831
2. Oliver Twist, 1838
3. From the Earth to the Moon, 1865
1900-1999 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Classics I should have read by now
4. The Caves of Steel, 1954
5. The Left Hand of Darkness, 1969
6. The Stand, 1978 (reading)
My Wild Card Six On my TBR shelf for over a year
7. The Color of Magic, 1983
8. An Artist of the Floating World, 1986 (11/08/2019) ★★★★
9. Murder at the Vicarage, 1930 (07/19/2019) ★★★★
10. Northanger Abbey, 1818
11. Small Favor, 2008
12. The Spy Who Came In from the Cold, 1963

Alternates Children’s Classics I haven’t read
A1. Mary Poppins, 1934
A2. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, 1900

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) The Stand is a great book. You won't even notice its length. Only well after finishing it did I realize it was the longest book I've ever read.

message 3: by Renee (new)

Renee | 864 comments You have quite a few door-stoppers on there! That's a great list of books. I hope you have fun with the challenge!

message 4: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new)

Bob | 4912 comments Mod
I just received an email from the library to come and pick up a copy of The Left Hand of Darkness. I'll be starting tonight. You have a nice selection and some good reading ahead. I think you will like meeting the eccentric Miss Marple.

message 5: by Terris (new)

Terris | 2418 comments I'm starting The Left Hand of Darkness soon also. I'm looking forward to it. Hope you enjoy it too! Good luck on your challenge :)

message 6: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments Thanks! I wanted to get the Left Hand of Darkness in time to read it with the group, but there is a waiting list at the library, and I won't get it before the end f the year. But it fits beautifully on my 2019 challenge. :)

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie | 583 comments Renee wrote: "You have quite a few door-stoppers on there! That's a great list of books. I hope you have fun with the challenge!"

I'm looking forward to The Stand. I got it as a gift a couple of winters ago, and I haven't gotten around to read it yet. I read several other King books this year, and I know The Stand is generally received as his best work.