Booked2022: A Litsy Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

2019 July - September Prompts > 13. Genrebusting

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Barbara (The Bibliophage) (barbarathebibliophage) | 326 comments Mod
Questions? Suggestions? Resources? Please share!

message 2: by Cindy H. (new)

Cindy H. | 35 comments Mod
"Genre-busting" is a term used occasionally in reviews of written work, music and visual art and refers to the author or artist's ability to cross over two or more established styles. For instance, in writing, to combine the horror genre with a western or hard-boiled detective story with science fiction. WIKI

https://www.tor.com/2018/05/04/all-th...

Margie (Bookzombie) (bookzombie08) | 52 comments So far my possibilities on this one are Geek Love and Blood Crimes: Book One.

message 4: by Courtney (new)

Courtney | 24 comments This article was shared on Litsy: https://medium.com/@strandbookstore/b...

I read Friday Black off the list and really enjoyed it.

message 5: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 3 comments This is such a cool topic. I feel you can really only decide afterwards if it is genre bending or not. Some of my choices of late reads:

Circe - loved it. Mythology? Fantasy? Contemporary? Historical? Romance? Feminism?
Who Fears Death - Fantasy? Realism? Cli-fi? Feminism? Young Adult? Adult?
Alias Grace - and just about anything by Margaret Atwood is genre bending. Historical? Mystery? Thriller? Suspense?
The Prince and the Pauper - Classics, humor, historical, young-adult
American Gods - a blend of fantasy, mythology and real life, with some horror thrown in
The Master and Margarita is very weird. Historical, absurd, fantastic, yet realistic, too
Modern Romance is a mixture of serious research, personal reflections and humor
Hamilton: The Revolution - a libretto, but also sketches of history and behind the scenes
The Thrilling Adventures of Lovelace and Babbage - this is a graphic novel with tons of history, but also humor, partially true, partially invented, mixing styles and time periods - as genre-bending as it gets!
Never Let Me Go - don’t even ask me to classify it
The Complete Persepolis - graphic novel, memoir, history
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - nonfiction, but spans science, biography, medical history, ethics... and so much more

Barbara (The Bibliophage) (barbarathebibliophage) | 326 comments Mod
Marta wrote: "This is such a cool topic. I feel you can really only decide afterwards if it is genre bending or not. Some of my choices of late reads:

Great list! Thanks Marta.

message 7: by Jacquelyne (new)

Jacquelyne | 7 comments BOTM has one for this category this month. Just ordered it for my box.

Lost and Wanted
"A genre-bending novel of love, loss, and 5D spacetime."

message 8: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) Jacquelyne wrote: "BOTM has one for this category this month. Just ordered it for my box.

Lost and Wanted
"A genre-bending novel of love, loss, and 5D spacetime.""

I just read about that book and I am putting it on hold at the library. I'm glad it meets this category.

message 9: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jun 13, 2019 03:16PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) Cloud Atlas - epistolary, adventure, crime thriller, SF, post-apocalyptic quest
The Invention of Hugo Cabret - novel, picture book, graphic novel, flip book
The Princess Bride - romance, fantasy, adventure, comedy, fairy tale
The Rook - urban fantasy, paranormal, sci-fi, action
Magic for Beginners - short stories, fiction, fantasy, sci-fi, magical realism, Italian literature,

message 10: by Martha (new)

message 11: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) I'm halfway through with The Calculating Stars, a combination of space travel and historical fiction. I've been enjoying it and hope to continue with the series.