Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > Bookstore Readings

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 9 comments A cousin of mine has invited me to conduct a Reading of my book at an independent bookstore. For me it would be a 2000 + mile road trip or a 6-7 hr plane trip. Has anyone here conducted a Reading? What is involved other than reading passages? Would I bring my own book or would the bookstore order copies. Any advise would be appreciated.

message 2: by P.D. (new)

P.D. Workman (pdworkman) You have to talk to the bookstore. Usually, you would bring a few copies and the book store would take them on consignment. Whatever didn't sell that night would probably be returned to you that night, thought they might keep one or two.

Plan on writing an introduction for them to introduce you, something about why you wrote the book, a ten minute excerpt from the book which you will rehearse ahead of time (ask them how long), possibly time for Q&A afterward. The store may want a few questions they can ask.

Nice to give away bookmarks and maybe have a basket draw. Find out whether they will provide coffee and snacks or whether you would expect you to arrange for food.

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 9 comments P.D. Workman (Pamela) wrote: "You have to talk to the bookstore. Usually, you would bring a few copies and the book store would take them on consignment. Whatever didn't sell that night would probably be returned to you that ni..."

Thank you for this great information.

message 4: by Frank (new)

Frank Prem (frankprem) | 6 comments Try having some conversation with local stores who might be keen and also have some local experience of what works. Also Libraries are in the business of supporting local authors as well - very risk free opportunities to try out there.

message 5: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 9 comments Frank wrote: "Try having some conversation with local stores who might be keen and also have some local experience of what works. Also Libraries are in the business of supporting local authors as well - very ris..."

Thank you for the information