The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Winter Challenge 2018 > 25.1 - M1nks's Task: What Makes a Good Hero?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Dec 07, 2018 08:07PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4922 comments Mod
25.1 - M1nks's Task: What Makes a Good Hero?

This is a two book task. Choose one book from two different options below. REQUIRED: Include the options you chose in your post.

ONE book used for this task may have the MPG "Sequential Art," "Graphic Novel," "Comics," "Comic Book," or "Manga."

1. A Good Hero knows when to accept help. You don't have to do everything yourself!

For this option, read a book with the main page genre Mystery, where the main character has help from at least one serious sidekick. This help must be reasonably substantial and take active form (just talking about a case with someone doesn't qualify). Animal sidekicks do not work for this task. The two people do not have to be in a relationship in which one is subordinate to the other, but they must work together to solve the mystery.
REQUIRED: Name the main character and the sidekick/partner. If the sidekick is not clear from the GR description, please provide an explanation of the sidekick's role.

Example: Sherlock Holmes and Watson; Hawk in many (not all) of the Spenser books by Robert B. Parker and Ace Atkins.

2. A Good Hero is Interesting. Even if they pretend to be boring! Read a book where the title doesn't contain the word 'A', 'An', 'And' or 'The'. Subtitles may be ignored.

3. A Good Hero Doesn't Wear His Underpants On Top of His Trousers. Hero's have class and funk to spare! What country is more funky than Japan? For this task read a Japanese Manga about a 'hero' (it must conform to SRC rules). You can pick one from anywhere but here are some suggestions: top 15 male anime heroes
top 10 manga animals
REQUIRED: Not all Japanese mangas are exactly 'heroic' so find one that does and state why it qualifies.

4. A Good Hero Has a Sword Which Goes 'Ting!' Or maybe they just have a really big Axe...
Read a book which has the MPG Fantasy. A combination genre such as Science Fiction Fantasy will not work for this task.

5. A Good Hero Lives on After Death. Just because they are no longer with us doesn't mean we have forgotten them! Read a book where the 'hero' is no longer with us. That means:
> the hero dies in the book, or
> the book is set in 'our world' where the hero is genuinely deceased, An Unfinished Life: John F. Kennedy, 1917-1963
> the book is set in a time period where it is obvious the hero can no longer be alive. The White Queen. If the book is set before 1900, it can be assumed that the hero is no longer alive.

REQUIRED: Name your hero, why you think that they are a hero and explain why you are sure that they are dead.

message 2: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Reserved

message 3: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4922 comments Mod
This thread is now open.

Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson | 478 comments For option 1, would The Last of August work? In the first book, Jamie Watson and Charlotte Holmes share the MC role, but in this book, the description indicates that Charlotte is the MC, and Jamie the Sidekick.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1268 comments For Option 1, how about Dark Sacred Night?

message 7: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments For option 2, is it the WORD A that can't be in the title or the letter A?

message 8: by Trish (last edited Dec 06, 2018 09:20AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2540 comments I wondered that, too.

Also, just checking, for Option 4, can Fantasy be embedded? Equally, can it be there on its own, but also on there as embedded?

Revisionary, Jim C Hines has multiple versions of "Fantasy", but some of them are embedded.

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments can i please get Silence Fallen locked in for fantasy - with 695ppl

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim | 664 comments Are these ok for option 1?

Design for Dying
A Ring of Truth

Thank you

message 11: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Kim - both those books are fine.

message 12: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Dee - That book is definitely Fantasy.

message 13: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Sheila - The word.

message 14: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Trish - Fantasy must be the first in the chain. In the jok shown not only is the first genre Fantasy by itself the others are Fantasy - Magic etc. So. hopefully that answers your question.

message 15: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Amy - it says in the book description that it meets the requirements so, yes.

message 16: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Stephanie - as stated in the task description it doesn't matter about who takes what role, just so long as it's a co-operative effort. :-)

Stephanie (Librarianish) Davidson | 478 comments Nicola wrote: "Stephanie - as stated in the task description it doesn't matter about who takes what role, just so long as it's a co-operative effort. :-)"

AHH, sorry about that, I didn't read carefully enough! Thanks :)

message 18: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) | 2244 comments Nicola wrote: "Sheila - The word."

Thanks Nicola

message 19: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Would Jackaby work for option 1?

message 20: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Stephanie (Librarianish) wrote: "Nicola wrote: "Stephanie - as stated in the task description it doesn't matter about who takes what role, just so long as it's a co-operative effort. :-)"

AHH, sorry about that, I didn't read care..."

No problem. Now that I'm back on a computer I'll put it in the 'approved' list. I was accessing with my phone yesterday and it was rather difficult to do anything.

message 21: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Rina wrote: "Would Jackaby work for option 1?"

Yep, looks like it does.

message 22: by Rina (new)

Rina | 564 comments Nicola wrote: "Rina wrote: "Would Jackaby work for option 1?"

Yep, looks like it does."

Thank you :-)

message 23: by EShay (new)

EShay Fagan (eshay11) | 537 comments For the mystery option, does Hastings count as a sidekick for Poirot? I will read Curtain. If not I think it will work for option 5.

Thanks!

message 24: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments EShay wrote: "For the mystery option, does Hastings count as a sidekick for Poirot? I will read Curtain. If not I think it will work for option 5.

Thanks!"

I actually don't think it will for that one due to the 'twist'. But, yes, it will work for option 5 if you consider a certain someone to be a 'hero' and state why.

message 25: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3762 comments QUESTION re Option 2 - what about an ampersand "&" .... does that count as the work "and"?

message 26: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Book Concierge wrote: "QUESTION re Option 2 - what about an ampersand "&" .... does that count as the work "and"?"

Yes, it does.

message 27: by Pia (last edited Dec 30, 2018 08:46PM) (new)

Pia | 1073 comments For option 4, would this book work?

Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2) by Jasper Fforde

It's been shelved as Fantasy by 258 users, but also as Science Fiction Fantasy by 141 users.

Thanks!

message 28: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Pia wrote: "For option 4, would this book work?

Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2) by Jasper Fforde

It's been shelved as Fantasy by 258 users, but also as Science Fiction Fantasy by 141 users.

Thanks!"

So long as it has Fantasy as a genre (which it does) it works.

message 29: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3762 comments Just to be clear re: Option 5 .... The "hero" in question does NOT need to be the main character?

I'm reading a book in which Andrew Carnegie plays a significant, but subordinate, role to the main character. Carnegie left a fortune to establish libraries across America - makes him a hero in my book!

Thanks for clarifying.

message 30: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Just to be clear re: Option 5 .... The "hero" in question does NOT need to be the main character?

I'm reading a book in which Andrew Carnegie plays a significant, but subordinate, role to the main..."

That would be fine.

message 31: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) | 303 comments Can I get Peter Darling locked in as Fantasy?

message 32: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Brooklyn wrote: "Can I get Peter Darling locked in as Fantasy?"

Sure

message 33: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Hi! Could you verify The Girls at the Kingfisher Club for Fantasy please? Thank you!

message 34: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Cait S wrote: "Hi! Could you verify The Girls at the Kingfisher Club for Fantasy please? Thank you!"

Sorry, I totally missed this! Yes, no problem :-)