Start by marking “Peter Darling” as Want to Read:
Peter Darling

Peter Darling

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  2,093 Ratings  ·  691 Reviews
Ten years ago, Peter Pan left Neverland to grow up, leaving behind his adolescent dreams of boyhood and resigning himself to life as Wendy Darling. Growing up, however, has only made him realize how inescapable his identity as a man is.

But when he returns to Neverland, everything has changed: the Lost Boys have become men, and the war games they once played are now real an
Published February 15th 2017 by Less Than Three Press (first published February 9th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Peter Darling, please sign up.
Austin Chant There's one mildly explicit sex scene - I wouldn't describe it as erotica by any means, but there's certainly sexual tension.
Jenn Moss
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lola  Reviewer
Peter and Hook sitting in a tree… *suggestive eyebrows* Who would have thought?

Though seeing that this is a love-hate relationship, with a focus on the hate part, they cannot stand each other for long enough to sit together in a tree. They’d start fighting right away and plummet to their deaths.

And indeed that’s what they do: they constantly bicker and find excuses to cut each other’s throats. It’s not that they are inhuman and devoid of feelings, but they actually enjoy fighting and putting the
C.G. Drews
I'm such an intense little Peter Pan nerd I only need to see the words "PETER PAN" and "RETELLING" and I am there like an overenthusiastic puppy ready to eat it. And this one was really cute and heartfelt and I liked it! It just suffered from being so short it didn't really have time to make the world/characters complex. So like I felt it barely scratched the surface of this fantastic premise WHICH MAKES ME SAD. And it was rushed. And it threw in so many action scenes that I couldn't really get ...more
Navessa
YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

This was so much FUN. Everything I want a retelling to be. It was true to the original in many ways, and yet different enough to fully stand on its own.

In this installment, Peter is trans. At home in the real world, he is Wendy, surrounded by a family who doesn't understand him. It's no wonder then, when facing the prospect of growing up in a female body and being forced into marriage, that he instead flees to Neverland.

The beginning of this book is...well, I didn't like
✨    jamieson   ✨
I AM AN EMOTIONAL WRECK THIS WAS SO CUTE WTF

you know what you need in your life? A Peter Pan retelling where Peter is trans, comes back to Neverland as an adult and realises he's in love with captain hook. TRUST ME YOU NEED IT

“I won't hurt myself, I'm the spirit of youth and joy, remember?"
"You're a grown man and a nuisance."
"I'm your nuisance,”

So I love Peter Pan and Peter Pan retellings and this one was just so cute and sweet. I honestly wish it was longer. It has the ideal romance tropes ak
K.J. Charles
Feb 09, 2017 added it
Shelves: fantasy, m-m, trans
Exceptionally good. A dead cert for my Best of 2017 list, and it's only February.

A thoroughly intelligent, ingenious take on Peter Pan, with a premise that shifts from delightful to funny to profoundly moving. It deals with real and deep issues but never loses hope or joy; it's a very thought-provoking work about growing up and fantasy and loss and identity, and also *at the same time* a terrific romp with an absolutely charming love story and a perfect ending. It is also impeccably written and
Sabrina The Trash Queen
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know I needed this until I read the synopsis.
Peter and Hook? Together? Has a couple? 😱😫 not even in my wildest imagination, I would have pictured that and I’m all for it!

This book is so CUTE.

“You are extraordinarily dramatic," James said, "and no one should ever have given you power over the weather.” - favorite quote 😂. This is ME.

Every character is adorable and lovable.
And the story is so good, different and unique.
Absolutely adore it.
read in other lands by sarah rees brennan read in other lands by sarah rees brennan
This was clever, fast paced and intense - and I couldn't look away for a moment. I was hooked.

Part of the reason I was attracted to this story was the drop-dead gorgeous cover - but I soon came to realise that the content is more beautiful than any cover can ever be. It's as perfect as Neverland can be.

I'll get it out of the way first - I know nothing about Peter Pan (except for this song, which I love even more after this book), but that didn't hamper my experience at all. There was something s
shady boots | #TheVixenWasRight
Seriously, I can't stress enough how DYNAMITE this book's premise is. I mean, Peter Pan being a trans man who was formerly Wendy, and not only that but the love interest being Captain freaking Hook? That's fucking GOLD, man. It's one of those premises where you can't help but be like "Shit, I WISH I came up with that." I bet when he was pitching it, the author was like:

Does the actual book live up to that premise? Sure, it was a very enjoyable and sweet little story. I liked the darker take on N
Farith
Jun 01, 2017 marked it as to-read
Me: I don't know, I've never been a Peter Pan fan as I grew up. Maybe I won't enjo...

Friend: It's LGBT.

Me:
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*3.5/5 stars

There is a lot to love here. This book offers a new look at Neverland. While there are a lot of familiar aspects that make it feel true to the original setting, Austin Chant also weaves in a lot of darker elements that help make the story feel older and more mature. All the magic of Neverland is there, but it also is allowed to feel like a place where there is more to fear than just pirates.

The strongest element of this book was Peter as a character. I never thought I would see a tr
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
Clever.

Clever is the best descriptor of this lovely little book. In the simplest terms, it's the story of a boy realizing he's no longer a boy.

I think at one point or another everyone has had those moments in life wherein they'd like to be a kid again because adulting is a grind. The notion of escaping to a fantasyland where anything is possible - even flight! - where you're king of the kingdom and free to do whatever you please without those pesky responsibilities is an enticing one. Hell, I'd
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
"Isa, hay un libro en el que Peter Pan y el Capitán Garfio se enamoran".
"WHAAAAAAAAAAT?"
"Sí, te lo juro, se llama Peter Darling".
"TENGO QUE LEERLO YA".

Y así fue como llegué a este libro. Que encima lo leí en digital, cosa que nunca hago. Chicos, les juro que este es el retelling más extraño y más lindo que he leído. A pesar de que el libro original de Peter Pan me aburrió de una manera impensable, Peter Darling rompió todos mis prejuicios y me hizo amar a sus personajes.

En Peter Darling estamos
⚔ Silvia ⚓
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
BR on a whim with rin, without whom I'd have never survived ♡ who am I kidding we're both ded

I was sent this book as an advance copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.

TW: suicide attempt, misgendering

Let me get something out of my system first of all:
W
O
W
Okay, now that that’s out of the way: wow. I was completely blown away by this short book, which was a couple of firsts for me: mainly first trans story and first Peter Pan retelling.

Actually,
Kaylin (The Hiatus Queen)
3.5 Stars

Overview:

“To die would be an awfully big—“
“Don’t start that again… surely you could have come up with something new to say after ten years.”

For such a short little story, this still packs a punch. It’s both a Peter Pan retelling (in that there’s changes to the initial story) and a sequel, in the way it revolves around Peter's return to Neverland, ten years after leaving.

I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review, thank you to the author and Less Than Three Press fo
amy
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Peter Pan and James Hook fall in love. Now that is a concept I never knew I needed in my life. But oh god, I so did.

description©

Let me start out by saying that I'm a sucker for good retellings, and this one was absolutely fantastic. I love the author's take on the original Peter Pan story (btw, is it bad that I enjoyed this more than J.M Barrie's Peter Pan? Because I never could finish that one) and honestly? I kind of prefer this version, I'm not gonna lie.

Everything about this was very well thought out
Andrew
*received from Netgalley*

Ever since I was a young child, I have absolutely adored and loved Peter Pan. It was an amazing, adventurous story of a young boy who would never grow old and had fun. I wanted that. I wanted to be Peter.
Not only that but as context, I'm a trans man.
So as soon as I saw this story, a Peter Pan retelling where Peter is a trans man, I jumped at the chance to read it. I saw it on Netgalley and had to take a chance and request it. I'm so glad I was accepted and was able to re
anna (readingpeaches)
listen it made me cry, it made me happy, it made me soft and it's pride so im giving it 5 stars
Ele
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-na, paranormal
*4.5 stars*

Austin Chant. Remember the name. Judging from Peter Darling, he is meant for great, great things.

I took a gamble picking up this book. I hate fantasy, and I don't read Paranormal in general. I was also a pretty cynical kid that hated fairy tales. Except one: Peter Pan! That was my escapism.

Peter Darling is the brilliant retelling of Peter Pan. The author did an amazing job re-adapting the original story and using the classic characters of Peter Pan and Captain Hook to tell an entirely
Elise (TheBookishActress)
3 stars. So this was definitely GOOD, it just has a few flaws that bothered me.

Peter Darling has the same problem for me as Every Heart A Doorway: it feels like the beginning and end of a five-star book. There's no middle; Peter's character arc goes from one place to another place in the blink of an eye. There's some development to the story and character arcs, but not nearly enough. Same with the romance. While it was absolutely sweet, these two did not get as much development as I'd hoped.

Th
CW (Read Think Ponder)
Me after reading this: I BELIEVE IN FAIRIES.
I BELIEVE IN LOVE.

- I just... I've never felt SO happy for characters before. Like, SIGH I AM SO CONTENT AND HAPPY IN LIFE sort of happy. I'm so happy. *sobs*
- Perhaps one of the best retellings I've read -- not just of Peter Pan, but perhaps ever. Respects and retains the core elements of the original telling but gives it a fresh perspective and spin.
- Amazing character development, beautifully explored and written. The characters were so developed.
Elsa Bravante
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Retelling de Peter Pan maravillosamente escrito, con una recreación muy buena de Neverland y unos personajes que de verdad crees que son los mismos salidos de la imaginación del autor del cuento original.
A pesar de todo esto, ahora voy con algo impopular. Mientras creo que, como ya he comentado, está muy bien escrito, de verdad, muy bien, y consigue que Neverland sea un personaje más de lo bien ambientado que está, creo que las aventuras, y la lucha interior de Peter restan protagonismo a la his
Shira Glassman
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fair warning: Peter Pan and the idea of Captain Hook as a love interest are important enough to me that this review has turned into a post on a recipe blog–in other words, there’s going to be a preamble. If this is too much for you, skip to the words “imagine, therefore, my delight.” (Now imagine Hook saying these words. OK, bye.)

Some years ago, fantasy erotica writer Tof Eklund and I discussed the thematic differences between the original J.M. Barrie Peter Pan and multiple movie versions. The n
Masooma
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I buddy read this book with Lola and I’m happy that I picked this novel with her otherwise I’m certain that I would have sunk deep into the waters of confusion with no Lola to bring me back to the shore.

To cut to the chase, Peter Darling was an average read. The book was crafted in the heart of cliche (in the way the characters fell in love) but some cliches stand the text of time to be evergreen. So, we end up loving stories made of those cliches. Pair this up with an engaging prose and you’d
Karen
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is not the Peter Pan of my childhood...

I have to admit I'm not sure quite what I was expecting when I went into this but after sniffing and poking at the book I finally decided I just needed to put on my big girl pants and find out.

So what I was expecting...well, I'm still not sure. What I got was a retelling of a childhood story that to be quite honest was never really a favorite of mine. As a child I just never connected with Peter...I don't really know why...it could be as simple as he
Tess

When a grown up Peter Pan returns to Neverland he finds that nothing is quite the same ...

This was superb! As a new spin on Peter Pan, this was clever, emotional and romantic and had so many other layers to it. I don't want to go into spoiler territory by talking about the other layers, but I can say that the enemies to lovers romance had a nice slow burn to it, just the way I like it.

Hook gave a low chuckle. "Your obsession is flattering, Pan. And I share it."
"Obsession?"
"Is that no
Cristina
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, m-m, queer, lgbtq
Austin Chant's Peter Darling is a bold, imaginative and deeply moving retelling/expansion of the well-known story of Peter Pan.

It'd be extremely hard to say something about the book's plot without giving away the narrative twist that is at its core, so I'll try to avoid too many details here.

I've always found Peter Pan's tale to be a rather sombre one - its popularity as a children's story, mainly thanks to its Disney adaptation, which is now so steeped in our imagination, eschews many disturb
Eloise
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
As soon as I saw that Peter Darling followed a transgender Peter Pan, 10 years after the story we all know, with a possible Pan/Hook romance, I was sold.
And oh my goodness ... it went beyond expectations.

I must say, at first I was a little confused as to who did what in this version of the story "ten years ago" but I realised that we're supposed to be confused. You find out as you go along, who Peter is and what he has been going through, trying to escape, trying to find. And it's so important.

P
Vee S
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is not only an delightful read but a brilliant, deep take on gender, self-truth, and what it means to truly be vulnerable with someone. I loved it so much, in ways that I wasn't even expecting-- which is saying something, as I know and adore Austin and his work, and knew that I would love the book a lot. It spoke so deeply to me about the ways that we protect ourselves, wrap ourselves inside fantasies, and how those fantasies aren't always total lies but are also not the truth and how ...more
Amy Cousins
THIS BOOK.

Is amazing. Is magic. It's about the loyalty of fairies and adventure, the dangers of rage and forgetting, swirling frock coats and fabulous boots, and the seductive lure of imagining yourself as the hero, even as you figure out that you might be the bad guy. It's funny, and heartbreaking, and always, always full of hope, with a HEA that made my heart happy.

"That's the trick of growing up. Nothing stays the same." Hook sounded oddly sympathetic. "You see the faults in everything. Inclu
rin (lorenzo)
spontaneous BR with Silvia, i hope you're alive ♥

why is it so hard to review a book if you liked the hell out of it

i've read plenty of Peter Pan retellings and this one is hands down one of the best. if i wasn't BRing it, i would probably combust because of f e e l s and emoshuns. if you can get your hands on it you need to do it like right now.

in this retelling Peter Pan is a trans-masculine character (most importantly, this is a #ownvoices book), who was born Wendy Darling, and who wasn't acce
Austin Chant is a bitter millennial, a decent chef, and a queer, trans writer of romance and speculative fiction. He co-hosts the Hopeless Romantic, a podcast dedicated to exploring LGBTQIA+ love stories and the art of writing romance. He currently lives in a household of creative freelancers who all spend too much time playing video games.
More about Austin Chant

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“Thats the trick of growing up. Nothing stays the same." Hook sounded oddly sympathetic. "You see the faults in everything. Including yourself.” 34 likes
“Dreamers are always welcome here, whatever their reasons.” 9 likes