PenPal Readers discussion

✳️ 2019 Challenges > Family Tree Roots Challenge

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Feb 11, 2019 07:00AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments **********************
Quicklinks to participants tracking: Essie | Chloe | Anne | Nancy |

Love reading? Family? Family history? This challenge is for you!
FAMILY TREE ROOTS

Starts:Anytime
Ends:When you're done. You can choose to do it as a mini challenge (1 book per task), or full challenge (3 books per task)

TASK #1 BIRTH YEAR (3 books):
Read a book that is published in or takes place in the birth year of any 3 family members. You may include yourself in your 'family tree.'
Example:
Book 1: written/set in 1929 (my dad)
Book 2: written/set in 1965 (me)
Book 3: written/set in 2001 (my son)

TASK #2 COUNTRY (3 books):
Read a book from the country of any 3 family members. Can be a country where a relative was born, or lived, or visited, or wants to visit :) You may include yourself in your ‘family tree’. For the specified country, the book can either have an author from that country, or a story set in that country.
Example:
Book 1: author/setting in Canada (me)
Book 2: author/setting in New Zealand (my dad)
Book 3: author/setting in Orkney Islands (my great-great grandfather) .

TASK #3 EXPERIENCE (3 books):
Read a book featuring an occupation, lifestyle, or experience of any 3 family members.
Example:
Book 1: A legal thriller (my grandfather was a lawyer)
Book 2: Children's book w/ school storyline (my sons are students at school)
Book 3: A book with mining/minerals in the storyline (my great-great grandfather was a miner on Isle of Man)

TASK #4 FAMILY FAVORITES (3 books):
Read a book that's been read/recommended by any 3 family members, or that relates to family favorite activities etc
Example:
Book 1: book of short stories (recommended by my sister)
Book 2: book w/ animals (our family loves animals)
Book 3: book of travel-adventure (our family loves to travel)

CHOOSE YOUR LEVEL - you can do this as a full challenge with 3 family members per task or a mini challenge with just 1 family member per task. You can do this using your own family, or have some fun choosing a public figure's family.

🌳 Rooted Tree: 12 books (3 books x 4 tasks), your family history
🌿 Climbing Ivy: 12 books, a public figure's family history*
🌱 Planted Sapling:4 books (1 book x 4 tasks), your family history
🍃Groundcover Moss: 4 books, a public figure's family history*

(*ie royal family, ruling family, or any family w/ public info available to complete the challenge with)

Notes:
- You may go backwards, forwards, or sideways in your family tree - ie. brother, grandmother, uncle, cousin, daughter, nephew, granddaughter, great aunt, 2nd-great-grandfather etc. You can include any members of family by birth, marriage, adoption, etc. If you have a small family, you can include family friends.
- You can choose the same or different family members for each of the different tasks.
- You don’t have to mention the family member by name unless you want to.
- Read a different book(s) for each task.

message 2: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chloee_matthews) This might be a little difficult for me because I have a very 'local' family with no one moving to a different country, and none of them read! But I will give it a go!

message 3: by Anne ✨ (last edited Dec 07, 2018 03:35PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Chloe wrote: "This might be a little difficult for me because I have a very 'local' family with no one moving to a different country, and none of them read! But I will give it a go!"

Yay, glad you're joining this one!

I think it will still work for you! For #2 you could use a country that a family member has visited, or a 'bucket list trip' that a family member would LOVE to do one day :) Or you could even ask them to give you the name of a random country for fun too :) And for #4, you can base it on family member's interests, activities, personality, etc and then match that to a book... maybe that will work a little easier for you?

message 4: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (chloee_matthews) Anne ✨ wrote: "Chloe wrote: "This might be a little difficult for me because I have a very 'local' family with no one moving to a different country, and none of them read! But I will give it a go!"

Yay, glad you..."

They are great ideas Anne - thank you!!

message 5: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments My family is so scattered and broken, years pass into decades and we may never meet again in this life. C'est la vie. Is all so painful to think of that I'll skip this one.

But everyone have a great time on your reading challenge! I wish you lots of reading fun! xx

message 6: by Anne ✨ (last edited Dec 07, 2018 05:32PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Jazzy wrote: "My family is so scattered and broken, years pass into decades and we may never meet again in this life. C'est la vie. Is all so painful to think of that I'll skip this one.

But everyone have a gr..."

Aww sorry, Jazzy! You are loved by your Goodreads family right here ❤️ 🤗 If you wanted you could do it as a mini challenge using a famous Ukulele musician? Or a famous photographer? Because artists are a great big family too :) 📷 🎸

message 7: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Aw, big hugs! Maybe later but the holidays are a bad time to think of how you won't see your family again, I may feel differently in a couple of months. We'll see! Love and cuddles x

message 8: by joanna (new)

joanna (nnewt) | 33 comments I’d love to do this- not sure about the country challenge because my family is very local too, but I’m sure I can count friends as family, right?

message 9: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Essie wrote: "I’d love to do this- not sure about the country challenge because my family is very local too, but I’m sure I can count friends as family, right?"

Yes, Essie! You can count friends as family! Another option you could ask family members (or friends) for a country they've visited, or a bucket list trip they want to go on!

message 10: by Chloe (last edited Apr 14, 2019 07:26AM) (new)

Chloe (chloee_matthews) My progress thread!

TASK #1 BIRTH YEAR (3 books):
Read a book that is published in or takes place in the birth year of any 3 family members.
Book 1: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets; Published in 1998, my birth year.
Book 2: Rubbernecker; Published in 2013, my goddaughter's birth year.
Book 3: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire; Published in 2000, my sister's birth year.

Read a book from the country of any 3 family members. The book can either have an author from that country, or a story set in that country.
Book 1: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Book 2: Forbidden
Book 3: The Girl on the Train; My whole family is from England I'm afraid!

Read a book featuring an occupation, lifestyle, or experience of any 3 family members.
Book 1: Genuine Fraud. This book has a 'haircut' on the cover and Mum is a hairdresser.
Book 2: That Wedding, because Mum and Dad are married.
Book 3: That Baby, because my Auntie had a baby with complications.

Read a book that's been read/recommended by any 3 family members, or that relates to family favorite activities etc
Book 1: Coraline. This was a family favourite movie.
Book 2: Heretics Anonymous. Me and my sister went to CofE schools.
Book 3: Poison. My mum, my sister and myself went to see the Snow White pantomime recently.

message 11: by Anne ✨ (last edited Aug 05, 2019 05:37AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments 🌳🍁My Family Roots Tracking:🍁🌳

8/12

TASK #1 BIRTH YEAR:
✔️Book 1: written/set in 1929 All Quiet on the Western Front => my dad
✔️ Book 2: published in 1965 In Cold Blood =>me
Book 3: written/set in 2001 (my son)

✔️Book 1: Canadian author (Patrick deWitt)The Sisters Brothers =>I was born in Toronto, ON, Canada.
✔️Book 2: set in Australia The Lost Man =>my mom was born in Canberra, AUS
Book 3: set in New Zealand => my dad was born in Wanganui, NZ

✔️ Book 1: Book w/ Alaskan wilderness The Great Alone => I did a remote wilderness hiking trip in Alaska.
✔️ Book 2: Book w/ school story line The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell => my sons are students at school
✔️Book 3: Book set in an old English Castle I Capture the Castle => my mother's heritage (Vernon family) traces back to family member who acquired Tong Castle in 1345, but it was later sold and then demolished 1765, another castle built in its place.

Book 1: book of short stories (my sister enjoys short stories. I usually don't)
✔️ Book 2: book w/ animals The Truth About Animals: Stoned Sloths, Lovelorn Hippos, and Other Tales from the Wild Side of Wildlife =>our family loves wildlife/animals
✔️ Book 3: book w/ nature, trees The Overstory =>We planted a Maple tree in our backyard, rare to see them in TX, but growing up in Canada I've always loved them!

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote The Truth About Animals Stoned Sloths, Lovelorn Hippos, and Other Tales from the Wild Side of Wildlife by Lucy Cooke The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell by Robert Dugoni The Overstory by Richard Powers The Lost Man by Jane Harper The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque

message 12: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 4 comments I will try this. I think they first one will work best for me. I do genealogy so this is right up my alley. So I will find a book written in 1949 the year I was born.

message 13: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Nancy wrote: "I will try this. I think they first one will work best for me. I do genealogy so this is right up my alley. So I will find a book written in 1949 the year I was born."

That's great Nancy! Glad to have you joining this one. I too love genealogy :)