Mount TBR 2018 discussion

Level 6: El Toro (75 Books) > Yep, I'm trying this one now.

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Pike's Peak:
1."The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic" by Leigh Bardugo
2."Daughter of the Pirate King" by Tricia Levenseller
3."Cruel Crown" by Victoria Aveyyward
4."Envy" by Anna Godbersen
5."Rebel of the Sands" by Alwyn Hamilton
6."A Darker Shade of Magic" by V. E. Schwab
7."Traitor to the Throne" by Alwyn Hamilton
8."Glass Sword" by Victoria Aveyard
9."A Pocket Full of Rye" by Agatha Christie
10."The Archived" by Victoria Schwab
11."Adulthood is a Myth" by Sarah Andersen
12."Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon #6" by Naoko Takeuchi

Mt. Blanc:
13."Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories" by Stephanie Perkins & co.
14."Warcross" by Marie Lu
15."A Gathering of Shadows" by V.E Schwab
16."Sapphire Blue" by Kierstin Gier
17."Emerald Green" by Kierstin Gier
18."Annihilation" by Jeff Vandermeer
19."Big Mushy Happy Lump" by Sarah Andersen
20."Dealing in Deception" by Samantha Joycer
21."Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher
22."The Sun is Also a Star" by Nicola Yoon
23."The Grift of the Magi" by Ally Carter
24."The Score" by Elle Kennedy

Mt. Vancouver:
25."Dorothy Must Die Stories vol.2" by Danielle Page
26."Half-Blood" by Jennifer L. Armentrout
27."Wake" by Amanda Hocking
28."Grave Mercy" by Robin LaFevers
29."Days of Blood and Starlight" by Laini Taylor
30."The Thousandth Floor" by Katharine McGee
31."Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Brontë
32."A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens
33."Scythe" by Neil Schusterman
34."Very Good Lives" by J. K. Rowling
35."Our Dark Duet" by Victoria Schwab
36."A Tyranny of Pettitcoats" by Jessica Spotswood & 13 female authors

Mt. Ararat:
37."King's Cage" by Victoria Aveyard
38."The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet" by Bernie Su
39."Night of Cake & Puppets" by Laini Taylor
40."Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn
41."The Dream Thieves" by Maggie Stievfater
42."Splintered" by A.G Howard
43."The Darkest Minds" by Alexandra Bracken
44."Deadly Cool" by Gemma Haliday
45."Blue Lily, Lily Blue" by Maggie Stievfater
46."The Silkworm" by Robert Gailbrath
47."Social Suicide" by Gemma Halliday
48."Obsidian" by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Mt. Kilimanjaro:
49."False Hearts" by Laura Lam
50."Onix" by Jennifer L. Armentrout
51."The Rose Society" by Marie Lu
52."Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon #7" by Naoko Takeuchi
53."Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon #8" by Naoko Takeuchi
54."Career of Evil" by Robert Gailbrath
55."Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon #9" by Naoko Takeuchi
56."The Girl of Fire & Thorns" by Rae Carson
57."The Shadow Cats" by Rae Carson
58."The Midnight Star" by Marie Lu
59."Lair of Dreams" by Libba Bray
60."Dream A Little Dream" by Kerstin Gier

message 2: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #61: Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
"Sense & Sensibility" by Jane Austen
Finished on:November 30, 2018
Rating:★★★
Comment:This was slower than previous reads by Ms. Austen. Things took a while to happen and even so, when it did, it was full of circles to get to the point. I didn't care much about the characters - Elinor, although said to be smart and sensible, and a good observer, often let herself be swayed by pretty words, Marienne was annoying and selfish and too dramatic during the entire book. Edward was completely meh and wasn't enough in the book for me to actually measure his character - all we had was Elinor's constant praise of him, and since she was in love with him, I don't think it counts. Willoughby was a tool and deserved far worse. The Dashwoods were petty and vain. Colonel Brandom was the only one that I could like a little bit and was happy that he got what he wanted in the end. Definitely not my favorite Austen novel and it's clear her writing evolved after this, if compared with Pride & Prejudice and Emma.

message 3: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #62: And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1) by Kiersten White
"And I Darken" by Kiersten White
Finished on:December 5, 2018
Comment:I don't know if I came in expecting too much, but I was kinda disappointed in this novel. It's not bad, far from it, but it just didn't live up to my expectations. I loved the historical context and how it explored Vlad Dracul's story/mythology and the era of the Byzantine Empire in a different way and the way White developed her characters, but I had some major problems with the pace of this book. It started out strong, with lots of twists and turns and we get to know our main characters and how their dynamics evolve over time, but somewhere after the first third, it felt like the book was lacking a direction and the characters didn't have a goal. It dragged sometimes and it took me a while to finally get on with it. Towards the end, the pace increased again, with more action, intrigues, and twists that ended the novel on a high note and left me curious to pursue the sequel, just to see where our characters will go from there and how they'll deal with the consequences of this first novel.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments Natália wrote: "#62:And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1) by Kiersten White
Comment:I don't know if I came in expecting too much, but I was kinda disappointed i..."

I thought the second book was the strongest in the trilogy. I hope you enjoy it.

And congratulations on getting over 60 books read from your TBR!

message 5: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Karen wrote: "Natália wrote: "#62:And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga #1) by Kiersten White
Comment:I don't know if I came in expecting too much, but I was kind..."

Thanks, Karen! I'm hoping to enjoy the next books more than I did this first one!

message 6: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #63: Tower of Dawn (Throne of Glass, #6) by Sarah J. Maas
"Tower of Dawn" by Sarah J. Maas
Finished on: December 14, 2018
Rating:★★★★★
Comment: Chaol has been one of my favorite characters in this series, I love how complex and utterly human he is, so obviously I was excited for a book with him as the main character. His journey towards recovery, both physical and mental, was just so beautiful and I loved the development he had in this novel. It was amazing seeing Yrene and some other characters we met way back in the beginning and that now have an important role in the plot, tying everything up. Yrene is also an amazing character - she's fierce, unafraid, compassionated and loving and the dynamics between her and the healers, as well as the connection with Silba and her own development and healing alongside Chaol was delightful to read. I also found myself enjoying Nesryn's adventures and her own character grownth. I didn't care much for her in previous installments, but she really grew on me in this book.

The world building is amazing, and Sarah really bothered to expand this universe and show us a different side of this world, with it's own culture and mythology. I have to say I didn't warm much to the Khangan's children, especially Hasar and the older one, but I liked the sense of their love for their siblings and how in the end it will make a difference in the future of the land. Sartaq and the ruthkin were amazing, though. The ending was emotional, although a little cliché (the solution to a problem was similar to the final book in The Rebel of The Sands trilogy). And though there's some vital information that will define the final act of this story in Kingdom of Ash, the best aspect and frankly what made it a great book was the character developments and their relationships. I'm so pumped to the final book now, and I can't believe it's almost over.

I've been distracted from my TBR pile this last month basically because some new releases I've been waiting a lot to read were launched, so I immediately got into them. I'm expecting to at least add some graphic novels here, and even (hopefully) one book or two more. Still won't make it to the top of El Toro this year, but I'm happy with what I accomplished - of my 84 read books, 64 were from my TBR pile! That's almost 80% of it!

message 7: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Awesome job! Of my 83 so far, only 53 have been TBR, so my percentage isn't quite up to yours, but at least its over 50%. That's a win. :)

message 8: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #64: Wires and Nerve (Wires and Nerve, #1) by Marissa Meyer
"Wires & Nerve vol.1" by Marissa Meyer
Finished on: December 22, 2018
Comment: I absolutely LOVED getting back into this world. The Lunar Chronicles is one of my favorite book series ever and I've missed it a lot. I was so good revisiting these characters, see what became of them, how they are faring and the new adventures they have to face. Iko is the main character here and she's on a mission to retrieve the lunar soldier mutant operatives that have gone rogue after Cinder was crowned queen. Iko was always hilarious and sassy and I love her a lot. The dynamics between her and Kinney is so good and I liked how Meyer explored it. The plot is fast paced and I liked that we're seeing Cinder's plans to rule, the struggles she's facing after the peace - nothing is magically resolved after Levana was defeated, there's a lot of things to work out. We also have a 'feature' of all our favorite characters and had lots of cute romantic moments between the ships. MY CRESSELL IS ALIVE AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL. Obviously, I loved every single page and can't wait to get my hands on the second volume already.

message 9: by Natália (last edited Dec 23, 2018 07:38AM) (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #65: Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 10 (Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Renewal Edition, #10) by Naoko Takeuchi
"Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Vol. 10" by Naoko Takeuchi
Rating:★★★★
Comment: The ending of the Dream ARC, the final evolution to Eternal Sailor Moon, and Sailor ChibiMoon gaining warrior status and finding her own 'inner senshi' and guardians. Although I LOVE Neherenia in the anime, the final battle and the villains for this arc were the weakest and most bland in the series. I couldn't care much for Helios and Elysium, but it was nice seeing Mamoru finally doing something and expanding (or gaining) his own power. I'm excited for one of my favorite arcs, both in anime and manga versions - the Star Arc and Galaxia & The Starlights!

#66: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them The Original Screenplay by J.K. Rowling
"Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them: The Original Screenplay" by J.K Rowling
Comment: Although this was mostly like the movie, it was interesting to delve further into the characters and see what they were thinking or planning or feeling during certain scenes. Some of it didn't translate as well to the scene, so it also brought some light to certain events. J.K managed to write a vivid and interesting story, even in script form. There was also some 'bonus' stuff that didn't make into the movie (small snippets of scenes, but still). I want to get my hands on The Crimes of Grindewald now because THAT movie needs some delving into the characters to know what J.K intended with some of it.

message 10: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #67: Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1) by Kasie West
"Pivot Point" by Kasie West
Finished on: December 28, 2018
Comment:I really like Kasie West's contemporary YA novels, so I had high hopes for this duology, especially because of the paranormal aspect of it. But I was thoroughly disappointed - the premise was a good one, but it was poorly developed. The whole Complex idea, the powers and how to develop them, was just lacking and I wanted to know more about it. Instead, it was used as a background. The plot centered mainly on the romance aspect and the teen drama of our main character, with touches of a mystery to solve as a sub-plot. And that, while it could have been interesting and kick up a notch in the book, was just bland and couldn't make me care much about it, and the other one, that turned out to be the big reveal of the novel and delivered an interesting twist, was not given enough space or importance through the story. West's strongest characteristic, which is the way she develops friendships and family relations, as well as characters personal issues, was sorely lacking here and, again wasn't properly addressed during the book. The writing is, as always, fluid and quick, and the book is less than 300 pages long, so it wasn't that much of a struggle to read. I did enjoy the ending and am curious as to how everything will wrap up, so I'll finish the duology, but I'm going in with my expectations properly lowered. It wasn't a good year for Kasie West's books for me, unfortunately.

message 11: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #68: Paper Princess (The Royals, #1) by Erin Watt
"Paper Princess" by Erin Watt
Finished on: December 28, 2018
Rating:★★ - DNF at 52%
Comment:Ugh, no. Absolutely not. How can someone enjoy this book and validate this kind of relationship? Find it romantic, even? Or, even worse, want one just like it? I couldn't even finish this book, let alone the series. Ella is such a promising character - she's driven, speaks her mind, is hard working and wants to do well based on her efforts, and I enjoy her outspoken and smartass personality. But the constant groveling after a guy who is constantly hurting her, spreading false rumors and belittling her at every turn, who is an obvious ass at all times (no matter how 'broken' the author wants us to believe he is, that's no excuse for the awful human being he and all his siblings are), just threw all the possible character development she could've had. The story isn't even all the interesting, there are some cliché tropes and plot points, as well as some really unnecessary scenes in between. I don't even have to say I absolutely hated all the Royal kids. They're all horrible and I really can't understand why they have this 'feud' with their father. And I honestly couldn't be bothered to continue on and find out. The only reason why I'm giving it 2 stars (and I'm being generous) it's because of Ella and the writing style, which is immersive and easy to read. Even though I was not enjoying it, the writing was so fluid I realized I've reached halfway through only when I stopped for the night. Still, I'm glad to be rid of this entire series and never think of it again.

message 12: by Natália (last edited Dec 29, 2018 04:37PM) (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #69: Camp Half-Blood Confidential (The Trials of Apollo, #2.5) by Rick Riordan
"Camp Half-Blood Confidential" by Rick Riordan
Finished on: December 29, 2018
Comment:This was hilarious as always, and I really liked all the little tidbits about Camp Half-Blood. It doesn't add any relevant information to the main series, but it's such a fun and carefree read! I also liked how some other demigods, secondary characters, got a voice here and were able to 'tell' some tales and we got to know more of their personalities here. It was nice and a short, fun read.

Yes, I'm trying to find the shortest books on my shelves or Kindle to try and complete this mountain at last. But, they are all over 100 pages, so I think I'm good.

message 13: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) You did amazing this year!!! I'll have to try harder to catch up with you next year!

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments 69 is a wonderful amount to have read. I have been eagerly following you all year as you have read quite a few books that I have read (most don't qualify for my challenge). It is good to hear your opinions about what you read. I am looking forward to seeing what you read next year.

message 15: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Karen wrote: "69 is a wonderful amount to have read. I have been eagerly following you all year as you have read quite a few books that I have read (most don't qualify for my challenge). It is good to hear your ..." Thanks, Karen! So glad you enjoy my opinion on books and good to know someone with similar book tastes! Can't wait to see what you'll be reading in 2019 as well!

Jessika wrote: "You did amazing this year!!! I'll have to try harder to catch up with you next year!"
Thank you, Jessika! Next year, we'll definitely meet at the top!

message 16: by Natália (last edited Jan 02, 2019 05:25AM) (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #70: 美少女戦士セーラームーン新装版 11 Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon Shinsōban 11  by Naoko Takeuchi
"Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon #11" by Naoko Takeuchi
Finished on: December 30, 2018
Comment:My favorite arc is finally here! This takes the entire plot to the next level - the stakes have never been higher and the whole universe is at stake. Will Sailor Moon and her friends be able to save the Milk Way? I love Galaxia as a villain and the connections between this arc and the previous one. There are some interesting information regarding the senshi from other parts of the galaxy as well (which leads us to some interesting bits about Luna, Artemis and Diana, as well as Phobos & Deimon, Rey's "crows"). I just love the Starlights and Kakyuu-hime, and Chibi-Chibi is adorable. Usagi has to go through a lot here, but I love that she owns up to being Eternal Sailor Moon and the bearer of the Silver Crystal. She's more focused by the end of this installment, not so relying on her friends/Mamoru, and I really like her development. Now onto the final mangá!

#71: The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black
"The Darkest Part of the Forest" by Holly Black
Finished on: December 31, 2018
Comment:It's been a while since I've read anything by Holly Black and I haven't yet read any of her Fae books (surprising, I know). And you know what? I loved it. Yes, it wasn't the most amazing book ever and there were elements here recognizable from the Shadowhunters books by Cassie Clare, so I didn't need all that explanation about the Fair Folk. But Black knows how to create this atmospheric, dark tale that pulls you in. She explores the human nature and their secrets, and why we're so attracted to fairies and magic. This had this 'dark fairytale' vibe that I loved and the characters were compelling and complex, with good development. The slowly unfolding mystery was interesting, although the resolution wasn't that big of a plot twist. I'm on a fairy kind of vibe, so I'll probably continue on this dark & twisty trend with my next reads. I'm hoping to read more by Holly Black this coming year, I forgot how much I enjoyed previous books I've read from her.

I'm logging them now because I couldn't do it earlier, New Year's Eve was such a busy day and yesterday I crashed after getting back from my shift, so I was lazy all day. That said, I'm so happy I managed to accomplish 71 books! Yes, it's just 4 shy of reaching the top (damn it, El Toro!), but it's by far my best climb. I'm pledging for Kilimanjaro again in 2019, but I have a feel I'll finally get to the top of El Toro *crosses fingers*