6."A Darker Shade of Magic" by V. E. Schwab
7."Traitor to the Throne" by Alwyn Hamilton
8."Glass Sword" by Victoria Aveyard
9."A Pocket Full of Rye" by Agatha Christie
10."The Archived" by Victoria Schwab
11."Adulthood is a Myth" by Sarah Andersen
12."Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon #6" by Naoko Takeuchi

Mt. Blanc:
13."Summer Days and Summer Nights: Twelve Love Stories" by Stephanie Perkins & co.
14."Warcross" by Marie Lu
15."A Gathering of Shadows" by V.E Schwab
16."Sapphire Blue" by Kierstin Gier
17."Emerald Green" by Kierstin Gier
18."Annihilation" by Jeff Vandermeer
19."Big Mushy Happy Lump" by Sarah Andersen
20."Dealing in Deception" by Samantha Joycer
21."Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher
22."The Sun is Also a Star" by Nicola Yoon
23."The Grift of the Magi" by Ally Carter
24."The Score" by Elle Kennedy

Mt. Vancouver:
25."Dorothy Must Die Stories vol.2" by Danielle Page
26."Half-Blood" by Jennifer L. Armentrout
27."Wake" by Amanda Hocking
28."Grave Mercy" by Robin LaFevers
29."Days of Blood and Starlight" by Laini Taylor
30."The Thousandth Floor" by Katharine McGee
31."Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Brontë
32."A Tale of Two Cities" by Charles Dickens
33."Scythe" by Neil Schusterman
34."Very Good Lives" by J. K. Rowling
35."Our Dark Duet" by Victoria Schwab
36."A Tyranny of Pettitcoats" by Jessica Spotswood & 13 female authors

message 2: by Natália (last edited Aug 14, 2018 07:42AM) (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #37: King's Cage (Red Queen, #3) by Victoria Aveyard
"King's Cage" by Victoria Aveyard
Finished on:July 23, 2018
Rating:★★★★
Comment:The story is finally progressing towards its explosive climax and we got more character insights during this novel, which was very very good and led to some amazing character development. It's not as action-packed or as fast-paced as the previous one, but it was more of a slow build. The ending though was very anti-climatic and, comparing to the two previous installments, kind of disappointing, since Aveyard always left the readers with a hell of a plot twist and some shocking development in the final chapter/epilogue. Yet here the big 'plot twist' was revealed way earlier and we already knew that information - we just got to see the characters discovering it and reacting to it. Still, I enjoyed it more than Glass Sword, because of Maven and Evangeline.

#38: The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet by Bernie Su
"The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet" by Bernie Su
Finished on: July 27, 2018
Comment:I LOVE this web series as much as I love the original Pride & Prejudice, so obviously I enjoyed getting back into Lizzie & co.'s world. The story is pretty much the novelization of the web series, with some extra scenes and a little bit of new information we haven't got to see onscreen. Still, it made me rewatch almost all the episodes again, as well as all the bonus content, and I had a lot of fun revisiting this! Also, it made me want to rewatch Emma Approved again - love me some modern Jane Austen!

message 3: by Natália (last edited Aug 14, 2018 07:42AM) (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #39: Night of Cake & Puppets (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #2.5) by Laini Taylor
"Night of Cake & Puppets" by Laini Taylor
Finished on: July 31, 2018
Rating:★★★★★
Comment:Zuzana was already one of my favorite characters since book 1 - I love her wit, humor, her fierceness, and protectiveness of Karou. And that only grew in book 2, when she, along with Mik, her now boyfriend and also a quick to become favorite (because of how sweet, kind and funny he is and also his relationship with Zuze and how amazing and cute it is), were one of the highlights of "Days of Blood and Starlight" for me. This is a short novella on what went down for them to be together a.k.a Zuze's masterplan to get woo Mik. It was cute, funny, romantic and magic like it should have been. I love their dynamic and how well they compliment each other - they are perfect together! Obviously, a 5 star read!

Aaand it's a wrap for July! It wasn't my best month for this challenge, although I've read 5 books this month...but 2 of them didn't count towards my mountain since they were new books I got on my Kindle. Yeah. yeah, shame on me. BUT I'm currently reading 3 other books that have been on my TBR for a while (and one who isn't, but what can we do, right?), so I'm hoping that August will be better!

message 4: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Hey, your counting is short-changing yourself! You went from 37 to 28 and 29. Don't climb back down that mountain! :)

message 5: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Oops! Haha, I counted right in my head but probably wrote the 2 instead of 3! Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna change to the right count!

message 6: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #40: Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn
"Sharp Objects" by Gillian Flynn
Finished on:August 11, 2018
Comment:This was a very hard book to read, despite being so short. The whole atmosphere and the characters were kind of mean and although the mystery was interesting, everything felt creepy. Also, I really disliked almost all the characters. BUT I was really satisfied with the ending and Gillian Flynn knows how to write a good mystery and focus on good female villains. It also had this unexpected plot twist that left me very excited, because I thought for most of the book that it would end one way and when it seemed that everything I imagined had happened, I was really disappointed. But it turned out that the author pulled the rug from under me at the very end! I really like when this kind of stuff happens in mystery/thriller novels! I'm also enjoying the HBO adaptation a lot, it's very faithful to the original but translated very well to the screen and Amy Adams is amazing in it!

#41: The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
"The Dream Thieves" by Maggie Stievfater
Finished on:August 13, 2018
Comment: I enjoyed this book WAY more than I did the first one, although I felt like this was separate from the main series - I doesn't really follow directly the plot set in "The Raven Boys" and it suffers a bit from the middle book syndrome in the way that it's more of a development book and doesn't move the plot along. It's a Ronan focused book and, to my surprise, since he was one of my least favorite characters, I found myself enjoying his parts and wanting to know more about him and his secrets. It was one of the things I wanted the author to explore more after the first installment and she did exactly that! He turned out to be a more complex and layered character than I first thought and now he's one of my favorites, along with Noah, who is such a ray of sunshine it's impossible to dislike him, and Adam, who also got a major development in this book. Still, I can't quite understand his hatred for his brother...it's the only thing that felt off.

Like I said, I love Adam and his arc during this novel and how he grows and starts to realize who he is and what his role in everything is. And I like how Blue's mom and her sisters have a role in that - their scenes are always super entertaining and I like how they fit in the plot and how their individual arc is developed, especially Maura and Persephone.

Blue, unfortunately, was irritating and seemed more immature and less sensible than she did in The Raven Boys, which made me like her character a lot. I was glad she was not the main focus of this book, and honestly, the whole 'I can't kiss my first love or he'll die'' debacle is starting to irritate me. Gansey is still my favorite character - he doesn't have any real motivation and comes across only as this spoiled rich kid who wants things his way always.

The only disappointing thing in this novel, though, was the plot twists. I'm still waiting for one that I haven't predicted a couple of pages before. It didn't surprise me at all, though they were good and were necessary to the story. Still, this was, in my opinion, a better, more solid and interesting book than the first one in the series and it actually left another good hook for the third installment, which I'll begin right away!

message 7: by Natália (last edited Aug 24, 2018 11:07PM) (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #42: Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard
"Splintered" by A.G Howard
Finished on:August 25, 2018 - DNF at 20%
Rating:
Comment:That was a major NO to me, unfortunately. I was really hoping for a good, interesting and inventive Alice in Wonderland retelling. The idea of this book was great, but it was poorly executed - yes, the writing was compelling and easy, but the way the author portrayed mental illness and stigmatized it (I mean, PADDED CELLS? Really? The way Ali's mom was treated took me back to the 1900's. The portrayal of mental health facilities and care was just absurd and hurtful, especially since it's a book for young readers.), the awful cliché tropes (the emo girl with ZERO female friends because they are all jealous of her and they compete on everything, especially boys, the romance with a compromised popular boy, etc) and the very unsurprising direction the plot was taking were more than I could take. Also, one of the main romantic leads is a problematic alpha male who seems to think he owns Ali, and he alone knows what's best for her. He is pushy and annoying.

Although I did enjoy the main lead, she's opinionated, sarcastic and smart, she was a bit too naive and childish at times. Especially when Jeb was concerned (she mainly just blushed and swooned). I'm not going through this series or even this book. I have a lot on my TBR to be held back by a read I already know I won't enjoy. At least my Kindle is a few books lighter and that's at least 4 books off the mountain.

message 8: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #43: The Darkest Minds (The Darkest Minds, #1) by Alexandra Bracken
"The Darkest Minds" by Alexandra Bracken
Finished on:August 30, 2018
Comment: This has been a long time coming and since the movie has come out, I felt like it was time to give this series a chance. It's been a while since I've read dystopies, but I found I still enjoy them. The world building here, although not very complicated, is well done and I liked the 'power system'. Ruby is such a compelling and relatable character, although she was a bit idealistic and naive sometimes and much of the things that explonded in her face wouldn't have happened if she payed a little more attention or wasn't so ready to believe. I loved the other kids, especially Chubs and Zu, and the romance was ok, it was cute and well developed, although I felt it was kind of instalove. Liam is an amazing character, though, and he's so deeply good and caring and protective of the people he loves it's impossible not to like a root for him. Clancy was an interesting character, I really want to know more and get to understand him a little better. I'm really curious to where the story is going next, especially after the way it endend. The pace is super fast and there's always something important happening, be it an action-packed scene or some important bit of information being revealed. There weren't many plot twists in this novel, and the ones that happened weren't that much of a surprise, but it changed things and it took the plot to a new level. As an introductory novel to a series, it fulfilled it's purpose - it wasn't the best book ever, but kept me interested and invested in the world and fates of the characters. I'm excited to watch the movie now and see how faithful it is to the original material and then dive in the next novels!

#44: Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool, #1) by Gemma Halliday
"Deadly Cool" by Gemma Haliday
Finished on:August 31, 2018
Comment: This was such a fun, entertaining and overall amazing read. I wasn't expecting to have such a good time while reading this. Heartley is this sarcastic, temperamental and driven character, and she is extremely amusing at the same time, so I found myself laughing at her antics and the things happening to her a lot. She's also very smart and caring, which only made her more likible. Her relationship with her best friend is cute and they have good scenes together. I also liked her relationship with her mom, despite how different they are and how excentric and over-protective her mom is - I always like when YA novels show good family relationships instead of showing absent/overpowering parents, and it's important to reinforce the importance of family bonds. The mystery in itself wasn't all that (I actually figured the big reveal before it happened, although the way it lead to it was very well done), but it was realistic enough and the explanations were a little bit simple, but belieavable. I also liked that the 'detective' aspect of the thing isn't as easy for a teenage girl as YA mystery novels lead us to believe. And the romance...yes, there wasn't almost any in the book, but the way is paved and the romantic tension is built. I loved Chase and the chemstry he and Hartley have, and how their relationship develops. It's not forced at all and it's not insta-love, which is always a plus for me. And the fact that Hart doesn't condone with cheating and doesn't sells herself short and puts a line in her relationship despite still having feelings for her ex-boyfriend is something that pleased me very much - YA novels unfortunately have this tendency of condoning with cheating and abuse. I'm really excited to see where the series will go, although I've learned that the third and final book has been on hold for almost 5 years, so the chances of this ever being completed are slim. I'm hoping the author hasn't given up yet, because I'm invested now and I want to see Hart, Sam and Chase's stories till the end.

#45: Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater
"Blue Lily, Lily Blue" by Maggie Stievfater
Finished on:September 2, 2018
Comment:This was by far my favorite book in the series. All the characters have grown so much and I've become completely invested in them. I also loved how there were more mysteries and more events in this installment, as well as some much needed surprises (FINALLY, some plot twists I never saw coming!). The new characters introduced here were really interesting and changed the game completely. It was a more tense and darker book altogether, but I really enjoyed it, because it complimented the atmosferic feel of the novel. It also took the plot to the next level and finally arranged everything towards the end. I'm very excited to finish this series now, so I can't wait to pick up the final installlment!

August ended up being a good month for me! Of 8 books I've read this month, 5 counted towards this challenge! I'm slowly picking up pace again and hopefully I can end up on the top of Mt. Kilimanjaro again this year!

message 9: by Natália (last edited Sep 15, 2018 02:35PM) (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #46: The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike, #2) by Robert Galbraith
"The Silkworm" by Robert Gailbrath
Finished on:September 12, 2018
Rating:★★★★ - actual rating: 4.5 stars
Comment: I thought this one was more intriguing and involving than the first novel. I also loved how unexpected the final solution was and how talented J.K Rowling is at tying loose ends and making every single thing within the mystery to have an explanation and a proper place. Strike grew on me as character and I like how his past and his personality is slowly developed through the series - there's a lot about him we as a reader don't know and the fact that tiny aspects of the character are revealed in the perfect moment to match what is happening in the plot is brilliant. I LOVE Robin's character, although I thought she kinda faded into the background in this one. Yes, we're shown more about her abilities and her resourcefulness and how much she enjoys the work with Cormoran (as well as how well they compliment each other and how their relationship is growing, as opposed to hers and Matt's - who is a tool and doesn't deserve her), but she played only a small part in the case and her POV's were limited to the whole 'substitute' debacle and the marriage/Jealous-Matthew plot. I'm hoping she will have a bigger role in "Career of Evil", since I've heard it's the best novel in the series yet!

Apparently, I picked up my reading pace again! YAY! I surpassed my GR goal, and am hoping to do the same here (or at least reach the peak I managed to conquer in the past challenges). I'm currently reading a few books that count towards this challenge (all of them do, that's a first!):

- Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
- And I Darken by Kiersten White
- Roses & Rot by Kat Howard
- Social Suicide by Gemma Halliday
- Paper Princess by Erin Watt
- The Rose Society by Marie Lu

message 10: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) I'm currently reading Career of Evil, but am struggling to get into it!!

I vote for Mistborn next, but that's because I'm a huge Sanderson nerd.

message 11: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Jessika wrote: "I'm currently reading Career of Evil, but am struggling to get into it!!

I vote for Mistborn next, but that's because I'm a huge Sanderson nerd."

I'm doing the opposite! I'm plowing through Career of Evil, but am struggling to get into Mistborn - the story hasn't gripped me yet, even though I like the characters and 'heist' aspect. I think the magic system has yet to settle into my mind, I found it a little bit overly complicated.

message 12: by Natália (last edited Sep 15, 2018 02:42PM) (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #47: Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2) by Gemma Halliday
"Social Suicide" by Gemma Halliday
Finished on:September 13, 2018
Comment: This book was even better and more amusing than the first installment! I absolutely love Hart's driven and sarcastic personality and I loved how her friendship with Sam played an even larger role in this book. There were great scenes here, that actually made me laugh out loud and even though it wasn't that great a mystery, I wasn't able to deduce who the killer was before the end. And Hart & Chase's relationship is so great! I thought that Chase was a little hot n' cold in this one, kind of leading Hart on though it's clear he cares a lot for her, but the ending made up for that. I'm just sad the author seems to have given up on this series since it's been almost 5 years since the release of this book and there's no sign of the final one, though it has a title and a synopsis. Bummer, because I wanted a proper ending for our characters and a chance to see a little romance between the main leads, especially after what happened at the final scene in this book. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

message 13: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) Thanks for your congrats, Natalia!

Wowsers, looks like you are closing in on another mountain peak, too.

message 14: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Sophia wrote: "Thanks for your congrats, Natalia!

Wowsers, looks like you are closing in on another mountain peak, too."

Yep! Super close, only one book to go! I'm hoping to finish it sometime this week!

message 15: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) I thought so. Congrats on the eve of your next climb. :)

message 16: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments #48: Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
"Obsidian" by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Finished on:October 01,2018
Rating:★★★
Comment:This was this fast, entertaining book that I enjoy reading between heavier reads. The plot and character backgrounds are interesting and I enjoyed the mythology behind the Luxen, but it wasn't something extraordinary or even totally original. It was filled with YA clichés, and a lot of times I felt like I was reading Twilight again, because it was VERY VERY similar in lots of aspects (including some really identical scenes). I don't know if I'll be continuing with this series. Yes, it's not as bad as I thought and certainly better than the Covenant series, but it's not what all the fans make it to be and I'm not a fan of this kind of YA clichés. On the other hand, it's a super fast, entertaining read and I'm mildly curious to know what happens in the sequels. I might leave it for when I'm in need of something lighter and carefree - either way, it's not going to be right now.

At that's a flag planted on Mt, Ararat! I have 3 months to finish 12 more books and try to plant another flag on Kilimanjaro. I don't know if I can do it, but I'll certainly try! It's not an impossible goal!

message 17: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) There it is! #48.

Wish it could be a five star, but average isn't too bad.

message 18: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Sophia wrote: "There it is! #48.

Wish it could be a five star, but average isn't too bad."

Thank you! Yep, I was hoping to plant a flag on a high note, but I did enjoy this last book, so it's good.

message 19: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Woohoo, moving up again!! Great job :)

message 20: by Natália (new)

Natália Lopes (silkcaramel) | 163 comments Jessika wrote: "Woohoo, moving up again!! Great job :)" Thanks, Jessika!

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen | 93 comments Fabulous! Well done!