What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Picture Book About a Man Who Finds a Bird that Looks Just Like Him, Read in the 90s

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (kawaiikat121) | 2 comments When I was between 3 & 5, so late 1990s, my family checked out this book from a branch of the Cincinnati Public Library. It was a picture book about an older man, who was possibly an inventor and possibly lonely, who is walking along a beach and finds a bird, or might have been an alien, that looks just like him. This bird could have been an alien. The style of the illustrations looked like sepia and on the back of the cover the pair were shown next to a portrait of the same image of the pair that seemed to go on forever. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34332 comments Mod
Olivia, how does the bird/alien look like the man? Is the creature injured or lost? What does the man do?

Can you describe the illustrations - realistic/cartoony/cute, simple/detailed, painted watercolors/bold graphics, sunny/dark/muted colors/black & white?

Do they remind you of another illustrator or picture book author?

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (kawaiikat121) | 2 comments The bird/alien looked exactly like the man in that they were both long and lean and had similar features, but the bird had wings and a beak. I believe it washed to shore and the man found him while on a walk. The man was very old, so he did not have a job. Illustrations were brown, possibly watercolor or gouache. The backgrounds were barren and eerie, but the characters were drawn with detail. I have never seen a similar art style.

message 4: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2183 comments Are you still looking for this, Olivia? If the art was particularly striking it might be worth browsing lists e.g.
Stunning Children's Books
Picture Books With Amazing Art
Children's Picture Books With Beautiful Illustrations