YA LGBT Books discussion

Archived BOM Nominations > December 2018 Book of the Month - POLL up - Vote thru 12/06

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Dec 01, 2018 08:28AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16730 comments We skipped last month, but maybe over the holidays people will eventually have more time to read.

What YA LGBTQ book would you like to read, or do you think members who haven't read it should try, (and those who have read it can discuss), as our BotM for Dec-Jan?

What book made a difference to you, and might to other readers? What sounds interesting, appealing or different?

If possible, link the book page on GR and tell us a little about it or why you picked it, or post the blurb.

The titles of past books of the month that we have read are on all the threads in this "Book of the Month" folder, and you can also check with a search of the group's book-of-the-month Bookshelf at - https://www.goodreads.com/group/books... Please do not repeat a book we have read - either as a past Book of the Month or as a Buddy Read (check the Buddy Read folder) - and please only nominate the first book in a series, unless a later book stands alone as a solo read.

Up to two nominations per member. Nominations will be open through Midnight Nov 30, or sooner if we get 12 nominations - the max for voting. Feel free to renominate a book that did not win in a past vote, if it fits this category. Sorry about the short notice.

(Authors please do not nominate your own books - but readers can definitely nominate a member author's work)

Nominations closed - Poll is here - vote through Dec 6th - https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16730 comments I'm going to nominate 2 favorite reads

Elephant Shoe Elephant Shoe by J.S. Edge by J.S. Edge

This was an engaging read with a main character who felt like a realistic (and not always perfect) teen, coping with some real life issues.

If his sixteen years experience has taught Mikey Alston only one thing, it’s this:

Life is too damn cruel to face alone…

The ice took our car off the road.
The tree wrecked it.
Tate and I didn’t make it out unscathed.
My parents didn’t make it out alive…
I was eleven, and that’s the day my whole world was ripped away from me.
My brother, David, was twenty-one. All the family I had left, I needed him. He didn’t need me.
David sent me away. Packed me off far across the country from my hometown in Devon – from Tate and everything I’d ever known, to live with grandparents I’d never known.
Six years is a long time.
But now I’m back.
(Not through choice. Not mine, anyway).
And Tate’s still here.
Only… he’s not the boy I left behind.
He won’t speak to me. Won’t speak to anyone.
The one upshot of my return to a life I no longer fit and he’s letting me down spectacularly.
Well, Tate, here’s the thing:
I’m not giving up on you. I’m not everybody else. You can’t shut me out. You need me – we need each other. And we will be friends again. Best friends.
I’m decided.
It’s decided.

message 3: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16730 comments And a truly lovely story about two damaged boys finding each other and hope, with a Holiday touch.

Nobody's Butterfly Nobody's Butterfly by Claire Davis by Claire Davis and Al Stewart.

These authors manage to touch my heart with their words and YA characters better than almost any others.

Cobweb ghosts are so inconvenient—especially grumpy ones with bad breath. Don’t they know silence is golden?

Johnny Strong is the expert; he hasn’t spoken in two years. Not one word to anyone except the ghost. The main purpose of life is to avoid people and not get noticed. Friends? He doesn’t need them; and certainly nobody wants him despite what the ghost says.

Until a new boy appears at Windybank—Finn Lyons, teenage wizard. He eats frogs, concocts potions, and is always hungry. Not only does Finn stand up for Johnny; he actively seeks his company and soon becomes part of life.
First love; family and words; a heady mix to go in the potion but how will it all turn out?

Hubble bubble; Johnny Strong’s in trouble! Silence is not always golden in this sweet, zany story of the purest magic at Christmas.

Content warning for history of abuse (emotional and unspecified)

message 4: by Iamshadow (last edited Dec 01, 2018 03:39AM) (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments I'm really passionate about Santa Olivia/Saints Astray. I think it's really pertinent and politically relevant right now, and that the author was a bit prescient in writing about a DMZ between the United States and Mexico, and the teenagers trapped in that place. It's also really powerful, because you have kids of colour, queer kids, fighting back against white oppression by the government military. In my head it sits in a similar place to Dreadnought, with a queer girl who stands up and uses her powers to be a superhero in a world that's geared against her. (Even their covers are very, very similar.) It's also a rare example of what I would call a butch wlw MC. There are just so few butch/GNC female reps out there in books that aren't adult romance/erotica.

It's been out for nine years, and it's on kindle (if a little pricey) so hopefully people can easily source it at libraries, second hand, or ebook, (or brand new, if you can afford it). I don't think Jacqueline Carey is an ownvoice (to my knowledge), but she's always put queer characters in her books, often as MCs, and what I've read of hers, she always tries to do as well as she can with her representation.

Content warnings for violence (a bunch of fighting, police/military brutality, and also boxing), sexual assault (to my memory, not shown, but off screen), racism, military/police state and everything that comes with that. (If I've forgotten anything, I apologise in advance, it's been a couple of years since I read it.) I know that's a scary sounding list, but I think content-wise (and subject matter-wise) it's on a par with Children of Blood and Bone, which is very definitely YA and marketed that way.

message 5: by Sarina Soren (new)

Sarina Soren (inquisitiveowl) | 48 comments I nominate Leah on the Offbeat. It’s a companion/sequel to Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, but anyone could read it even if they haven’t read Simon. I read it last month and fell in love with the characters. The MC is Leah, a bisexual teen who is trying to navigate friendships, crushes, her relationship with her mom, and so much more in her senior year of high school.

message 6: by Kaje (last edited Dec 01, 2018 08:27AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 16730 comments NOMINATIONS are now CLOSED.

Poll will be up shortly. Thanks so much to those who nominated books.

Poll is here - vote through Dec 6th - https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...