Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Legend of Eli Monpress (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #1-3)
This topic is about The Legend of Eli Monpress
Book Clubs! > Aaron - The Legend of Eli Monpress

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Nov 29, 2018 03:56PM) (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Schedule

The Spirit Thief-- April 1st
The Spirit Rebellion-- April 15th
The Spirit Eater-- April 29th
The Spirit War -- May 13th
Spirit's End -- May 27th

As requested a single thread for this series.

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 994 comments I may just do a re-read of this then.

message 3: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Spot! :)

message 4: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments In!

message 5: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 5 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7033 comments Mod
Loved this one - so much fun :)

message 6: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments This is another series I tried Kindling a couple years ago, but wasn't in the mood at the time... now I want to audiobook it in a group :)

message 7: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm interested in this one ! :)

message 8: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments I’m in. Love the tight schedule.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 672 comments Oooh I'm in! Been meaning to read this for a while now

message 10: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Bill wrote: "I’m in. Love the tight schedule."

*must NOT make a tight dirty joke....*

I really want to try to read series closer together (instead of one book per month). If this BR goes well, I'll probably set up more with this kind of schedule :)

message 11: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Virginie wrote: "Bill wrote: "I’m in. Love the tight schedule."

*must NOT make a tight dirty joke....*"

Come on that was a perfect setup.

message 12: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Shhhh, I'm trying to salvage what's left of my reputation :p

message 13: by alicat ♡➹♡ (new)

alicat ♡➹♡ | 39 comments Yep! I really liked her Heartstrikers series.

message 14: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1256 comments Hoping to join in this one too! I like the sound of something fun and sassy.

I'm also loving the tight schedule. Sometimes when I'm really into something, I just keep going, unable to stop until I reach the end.
*waggles eyebrows at Virginie*

message 15: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Finally someone brought that joke to its climax. Lol.

I finished already. It was a really fun book. Looking to forward to discussing once everyone starts.

message 16: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments I started last night and got three chapters in. (view spoiler)

Brian Allen | 5 comments I hope I'm not to late to join in this read, cuz this series looks like a lot of fun.

message 18: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Narilka wrote: "I started last night and got three chapters in. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments Thanks Bill. I have and I bet that’s it!

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 994 comments Sadly I don't think I have time for a re read right now. Will love reading what everyone thinks though.

message 21: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments @Brian The first book is scheduled to start today so it's a perfect time to join in.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I'm hoping to start tomorrow.

message 23: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I might tag along here gonna try and get back into it

I’ve already read the first story I’ll give my thoughts tomorrow but it was okay nothing too exciting although I do love the magic in this book

message 24: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments I'm in! I started it yesterday and i like it.

message 25: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments In! Started yesterday and got through most of book 1. Love the magic system :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I started it this morning and I'm not super far into it yet but I already like the writing style. It's light and quirky and just what I need right now.

message 27: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments The last 2 audiobooks are available on Hoopla... useful info for next month, anyway...

message 28: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments started and flew through 10 chapters. this is funny with an interesting magic system. A little backstory of Eli, Josef, and Gin and how they came together will be great. A great move on Renaud's part, though am not sure if his intentions are as noble as he told everyone.

message 29: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments This book was great... some real Heartstriker vibes in here with the spirits... can't wait to continue... talk more later...

Eli's treatment of Spirits reminds me of October Daye talking to the knowes, actually... everybody is always like "how did you do that?"

message 30: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments I really don't have much to say... I liked the book... story flew by, like the characters, like the spirits, want to see where it goes next... if I didn't need to wait for you guys, I'd have probably continued already...

message 31: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Same as Iain, I finished but don't have a lot to say. I love the idea that everything has a spirit; that same idea is also heavily featured in Heartstrickers.

It's good we only have 2 weeks between each book, otherwise I would have ditched the BR and binged to whole thing :p

message 32: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments I'm about 2/3 of the way through and enjoying it. It's a nice, light read. I should finish later today.

message 33: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments Finished book one. That was fluffy fun. (view spoiler)

message 34: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I was a bit iffy when I read, I think I like the concept too much that I was expecting a lot from the first book and while Eli and his gang did intrigue me I didn’t feel as hooked like I did with Riyria

Who knows it might improve next time but it was a weird one I guess I was expecting too much

message 35: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Starting The Spirit Rebellion! I hope it's as light & fun as the first one :D

message 36: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments I'm going to be late for book two. Need to finish up my current read.

message 37: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments I’m going to start it at some point today.

message 38: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments I'm on chapter 12, which looks to be the halfway point... I don't like some of the council characters, but I'm liking the direction the story has taken recently...

message 39: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments I finished my current reads faster than expected. I’ll be starting tonight 😊

message 40: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments I think I’m through ch 5. I’m liking the book a lot so far. (view spoiler)

message 41: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments I was unsettled by the direction of the story for much of the middle... much darker than the first book... but I was relatively happy by the end...

message 42: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments I'm about half way through (it's hard to tell when reading an omnibus version on Kindle) and the threads are FINALLY starting to come together. Somewhere in Ch 11 (view spoiler)

message 43: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I've made a start on spirit rebellion and after a long break I'm getting the hang of it, I also remember what happened in the last book although some of it is coming back

(view spoiler)

Overall so far so good I hope the story is better than the first and for some reason despite the easy writing and the brilliant magic system, it didn't click for me like there was something missing

Let's hope this does it for me.

message 44: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments I just finished and quite liked it. The story hooked me more than the first book and you can see how Aaron already grew as a writer. 4 stars.

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments I finished a bit back. I liked it overall but (view spoiler)

message 46: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments I'm planning to start The Spirit Eater tonight. With that title I hope we get more info about Niko.

message 47: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments Ch 1 (view spoiler)

message 48: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments I finished today. I listened to it at work so don’t really have chapter by chapter breakdown but for the whole thing. (view spoiler)

message 49: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 2476 comments Ch 4 (view spoiler)

message 50: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14903 comments Bill wrote: "I finished today. I listened to it at work so don’t really have chapter by chapter breakdown but for the whole thing. [spoilers removed]"

Agreed... it feels a bit harsh, but I don't feel like the series has delivered on the lighthearted promise of the first book, where Eli just flitted around in the face of serious matters... he still does that, but the serious matters are harder to ignore...

(view spoiler)

« previous 1