Start by marking “The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2)

The Spirit Rebellion

(The Legend of Eli Monpress #2)

Eli Monpress is brilliant. He's incorrigible. And he's a thief.

He's also still at large, which drives Miranda Lyonette crazy. While she's been kicked out of the Spirit Court, Eli's had plenty of time to plan his next adventure. But now the tables have turned, because Miranda has a new job -- and an opportunity to capture a certain thief.

Things are about to get exciting for
Published November 1st 2010 by Orbit (first published October 26th 2010)

Start your review of The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2)
Em Lost In Books
3.5*

Another full of fun and entertaining entry in the series, and what an apt name for the book. I really love it when the title of the story start making sense and this title is perfect for this book.
Felicia
Dec 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I don't understand this cover or log line, I feel like it's horrible marketing for this book. Someone get that dude who did the Robert Jordan books in here, for once his art would be appropriate (Darryl Sweet, right? I really hated those covers for Wheel of Time, but for this book it would rock)

I can't get over this cover, I mean Miranda is a key character, but this looks like a Danielle Steel book, like she's going to bury her grandma and can't pick the coffin. And it's a light-hearted fantasy
Lesa Divine
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 🌟

Continued from part 1.

Eli still up to no good. Trying to out do himself when it comes to being a thief.

Miranda is judged for what happens in part 1. Things doesn't go right for her. But she finds a way to redeem herself.

I enjoyed.
Again a fantasy with NO LOVE story. Yay....
Eliza Crewe
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Solidly good. Maybe even better than the first one.
Pam Baddeley
Sep 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Volume two of the series picks up shortly after the conclusion of book 1. Miranda, Spiritualist (and again I find that such an odd word choice for the people in this series who have a rule-following relationship with spirits, when the spirits here are those of inanimate objects or aspects of nature), and her ghosthound Gin, return home after the events in book 1 only to face prosecution for supposed treason. Hern, one of the Tower Keepers, is an enemy of her mentor, and the head of the Spiritual ...more
Narilka
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, ebook, fbr
The Spirit Rebellion is the second in The Legend of Eli Monpress series by Rachel Aaron. The story takes a slightly darker turn as Miranda deals with the results of her actions from the first book and Eli is on to his next robbery.

Thanks to their escape in Mellinor, Niko needs a new coat. Who better to make a customer coat for her rather specific needs than a master Shaper wizard? Which, of course, comes with a high cost: an incredibly rare, if useless, sword made from bone metal. The catch? The
Shree
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
It's nice. We get to see Nico's character development and some background story on Eli. But I have yet to see the whole "the world is going to end" calamity, which is a pretty common thing in fantasy. It's a good light hearted fantasy story that won't bore you.
Marjolein
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

3.5 Stars

I recently read The Spirit Thief and while I probably will never be someone to read series back-to-back, I will at least try not to put too much time in between different books, especially since I liked the first book a lot.

The Spirit Rebellion picks up right after the previous events (so I was glad not much time had passed since I read it), but it went off to a rather slow start as Eli and Co are on some sort of side quest cl
Stefan
Oct 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Just a few weeks ago saw the release of Rachel Aaron’s entertaining and light-hearted debut novel The Spirit Thief. Now, fast on its heels, we already have the sequel The Spirit Rebellion — and even better, the third book in the series, The Spirit Eater, will be here around Thanksgiving. Isn’t it wonderful when you don’t have to wait a whole year for the next novel in a series?

This second installment in THE LEGEND OF ELI MONPRESS takes place right after the events in the first book. Spiritualist
Charlie
Apr 02, 2016 added it
Shelves: dnf
The Spirit Rebellion (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #2) by Rachel Aaron

I kind of expected to DNF this which I ultimately did. This is the second book in the series and I had my doubts on the first one, but I'm just so bored with this story. Everytime I pick it up, I want to put it back down and it makes me feel stressed out. The story bores me. It's not exciting to me at all and I don't particularly care for the characters either. It's sad, but I'm glad I tried it. Now I know I don't want to continue on with this series.
Ahdam
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5

Pretty decent

Now I read the first part a bit over a year ago, and I gave it a 3. It was an ok read, but I was a bit disappointed, mainly because I had high expectations, and the main villain wasn't memorable or was impactful for me.

However, I can say that this book is a lot better than the first one as we learn more about specific characters and the villain of this story is far more impactful devious in this story than the last.

Despite this, I feel like the book raises the stakes only sligh
Timelord Iain
Not as light and fun as the first book. Adding more layers to the story brought a bit more darkness to it all, but still a great book and a great series.
Amyiw
May 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Maybe 4 1/2 stars
This brings back the gang though not to Miranda's liking. Miranda is rejected by her own council, initiated by the enemy of her mentor. She is then requested to look into the providence of Gaol by the West Wind and cannot refuse without going against her morals. So her bargest and she are off to investigate.

Eli and his band are going to the same providence and city looking to steal an object as payment for the help Niko received from a special maker, swords and other objects. Wh
Ryn
May 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fantasy
I'll say this for Rachel Aaron - she is trying, and trying hard. I really do like her style of writing and her ideas. But I wish it didn't just stop there. She still has this sort of... flat, surface-level story going, even though I can tell she's trying to twist the threads of the plot. It's more than a little frustrating, because I feel like if she just developed the characters a little more the novel would be so much more satisfying!

All that said, I liked this book more than the last, so hope
Bry
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Oh Eli you little shit. I do adore you. You are an ass. You are conceited. You are single minded in your determination to be an idiot at times.

Yet I adore you.

Even I can't explain it. I really thought his self centered arrogance would annoy the crap out of me yet it just Endears me. What's with that??? And poor Miranda, and the others having to deal with it! Ha!

This series is so fantastic and I highly recommend it. The magic, and setting in this universe is so well thought out and fascinating
Sha
Oct 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
26 Oct 2020

Plot: Thief and crew plan heist as payment for services rendered. A wizardess gets accused of high treason and has to clear her name.

1. This book is much better than the last one, mostly because the villains are a legitimate threat for the protagonists and don't immediately fall to pieces in the face of their badassitude. Going in, I was glumly expecting more curb stomp battles but the antagonists were an actual threat? And the protagonists now have limits on their superpowers? These
Enzo
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is another one Goodreads a definite 4.5 stars if I could do it that way. But in truth I really love this series. Eli is a great character even when he seems to not be the main character of this book. Its a great universe and you get to see a little more about Eli. But a whole lot more of Miranda Lyonette. The Spirit Court which is so interesting all on its own. Miranda's dealings with her spirits and just exactly how she views them. You also learn a lot about how spirits actually work. ...more
Krista Hansen
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this series, but I keep getting bored. I was hoping that as the books progressed, the story would grow in depth in terms of character and plot. The second novel, however was just more of the same. Much of the plot is repetitions of the last book. The characters still don’t have much depth. We rarely get much insight into their deeper feelings and motivations. This is especially true for Eli. He’s the namesake of the series, yet we get precious little time inside his head, ...more
DavidO
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
If you liked the first book in the series, you'll like this. The character of Eli is developed further, as we learn a touch more of his backstory and meet an old friend of his.

The book does have it's problems however:
The other characters aren't developed any more than they were in the first book. Even more so then in the first book, I feel like Miranda is a Mary Sue character.

The plot is very episodic, with little feeling that there is anything greater building. In fact, the plot is far too sim
Cst
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Like the first, this is a deeply flawed book. I would like to ignore that, but a pattern begins to emerge.

The plot is still thin, the world makes no sense and the characters stay flat. The one attempt at character development falls so pathetically flat, I felt bad reading it. The whole book feels frozen at the same stage, with enormous potential that needs to be realized but isn't.
The reading is still fun, with clear action that begins to fray a bit once the spirit world gets involved, but I can
Jay Holbrook
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
More in the ridiculous adventures of Eli Monpress. We are introduced to more characters that we don't care about in a world that is spinning quickly into yesterday.

Slorn and his daughter are very interesting. Slorn is a shaper, he manipulates spirits (and their physical forms) into their best possible configurations and wakes them up (they become sentient all the time). His daughter works as his assistant, and seems to be interesting, but is only an extra in this made for tv story.

The bad guy is
Elizabeth
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So I honestly can't remember why I didn't like the first book all that much. I'm betting it was more to do with it not fitting my mood and apparently taking a bigger hit than I usually give ratings wise on that front. But who knows, as I didn't write any notes for it. Here's what I do know: whatever my criticisms were on the first book, they clearly don't hold here. This book manages to be complex but FUN (and all the while dropping even more tantalizing hints to the mysteries that surround Eli) ...more
Olena
Sep 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Still as good as the first book and an entertaining read. The only thing I can't figure out is why I fail to like Miranda as much as the author means me to. It's rather obvious where the story is headed but for some reason she just doesn't come nearly as personable as Eli. All the elements are there in theory but something is strangely missing to make that connection. Could be just me though.
Andi
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fun Eli Monpress book. Kind of a repeat of the first book, but blander on all counts, so somewhere between 3.5/5 and 4/5.

There's not too much new to say. I saw the whole thing with Eli's parentage coming a mile away. Easily the most enjoyable parts of this book were Nico's struggle with the demon, and Eli and Miranda stuck having to work together. Much of the rest was fine, just forgettable, or almost a carbon copy of events that happened in the first book. I kinda feel like we didn't ge
Richard
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Still here for book two. Still more of a Miranda story than Eli, but something keeps me reading. In this installment you get to see two spiritualists battle it out with their spirits and it seemed like a Pokémon battle. Now I'm unsure if that is a bad thing or not... Anyways, you also get to meet Monpress Sr. so you get a tidbit of Eli's past but not much and zilch on anyone else's. A fun read if nothing else.
Berk
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I haven’t loved a series this much for a while. These books are quickly becoming some of my favorites of all time. It is like reading an action manga like one piece but in novel form. I don’t know how else to describe it.
Janice
Another fun adventure by the wily thief, Eli Monpress. I'm looking forward to more.
Jacob
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good read. Fun read. Precursor to things to come in a very episodic way. The characters are very well done, very interesting and Eli's always fun to read. Well, everyone but Miranda. Miranda is the dumbest little prat ever. I have see no reason why I should believe she's an exceptionally gifted, intelligent spiritualist like they keep telling me she is. She blunders from one dumb situation to the next without ever thinking. Even the dog is smarter than her. Other than that one moronic character, ...more
J. Bralick
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, favorites
Another fantastic Eli Monpress novel. I devoured it in a day and was off hunting for The Spirit Eater the next day. I love the whole charming cast of characters, the energy and vibrancy of the writing, the wonderful dialogue, and the plot that always kept me engaged -- even when I think I know where it's going, it never fails to be one heck of a fun ride. And Aaron always manages to throw in those little surprises that blindside me in the best way possible. Props to her once again... and my hear ...more
Byron
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
A natural evolution in quality from the first book in the series, Aaron is able to maintain the endearing nature of her main characters while presenting new antagonists that readers will love to hate.

I had a real problem with the simplicity of the first book in this series, The Spirit Thief. Its sequel has improved on this a lot. While no Great Gatsby, the antagonists really made me hate them. I felt Miranda's frustration at the early parts of the book and was extremely satisfied at the resoluti
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Honor's Knight (Paradox, #2)
  • Heaven's Queen  (Paradox #3)
  • Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1)
  • Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3)
  • Company of Strangers  (Company of Strangers, #1)
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
  • Percy Jackson Collection. The Lightning Thief, The Sea of Monsters, The Titan's Curse, The Battle of The Labyrinth, The Last Olympian and The Demigod Files
  • Idols and Enemies (Amplifier Book 4)
  • Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5)
  • The Brazen Gambit (Dark Sun: Chronicles of Athas, #1)
  • White Plague (Joe Rush, #1)
  • Sky Rider (Spellmonger Cadet, #3)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • The Thorn of Dentonhill (Maradaine, #1)
  • The Emerald Storm  (The Riyria Revelations, #4)
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2)
Hello, my name is Rachel Aaron, and I write the Heartstriker books, a new Urban Fantasy series about misfit dragons, starting with Nice Dragons Finish Last. I also wrote The Legend of Eli Monpress fantasy series for Orbit Books about a wizard thief and the poor bastards who have to try and stop him. PLUS I'm also the author of the new, rolicking fun Science Fiction romance Fortune's Pawn under the ...more

The Legend of Eli Monpress (5 books)
  • The Spirit Thief (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #1)
  • The Spirit Eater (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #3)
  • The Spirit War (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #4)
  • Spirit's End (The Legend of Eli Monpress, #5)

News & Interviews