Horror Aficionados discussion

Scapegoat
This topic is about Scapegoat
Group Reads: Guest Author Invite > December 2018 Group Read #2 with Guest Authors, Adam Howe and James Newman

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ken (last edited Nov 25, 2018 06:14PM) (new)

Ken McKinley | 1672 comments Mod
This is the thread for the December 2018 Group Read #2 with Guest Authors, Adam Howe and James Newman. Adam, the Stephen King's On Writing contest winner and author of DIE DOG OR EAT THE HATCHET, has teamed up with James, the author of the disturbing masterpieces, ODD MAN OUT and ANIMOSITY, to bring us one of 2018's most twisted tales. Please help me welcome Adam and James!

Kimberly (Kimberly_3238) | 4845 comments Mod
YES! Can't wait to discuss this one! And BTW, Welcome, Adam and James!!! :D

message 3: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 6999 comments Mod
welcome Adam and James and thanks for doing this. This sounds like a lot of fun!

Char | 16440 comments Mod
Thanks, you two, for joining us this month! I actually started this book yesterday and I'm looking forward to getting further into it.

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 851 comments Sounds very good, will try to join in. I see it's on KU

message 6: by James (new)

James | 173 comments This is gonna be a blast.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 4 comments Hello adam and james look forward to reading it. 🙂

Lance Dale | 47 comments I just ordered my copy! I can't wait to crack into it!

message 9: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy (kristylytle) | 73 comments Welcome! I'm looking forward to this one!

message 10: by Adam (last edited Nov 26, 2018 12:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. Hope you dig the book, and we're looking forward to any questions you may have. James will be handling the theological ones, I'll take the fart jokes and general scatology.

Lance Dale | 47 comments What is the code for hiding spoilers? I have a feeling I'm going to fly through this one and don't want to ruin it for anyone. I'm loving it so far!

Lance Dale | 47 comments I love that Part 2 is named after my favorite AC/DC song.

message 13: by Latasha (new)

Lance wrote: "What is the code for hiding spoilers? I have a feeling I'm going to fly through this one and don't want to ruin it for anyone. I'm loving it so far!"

no spaces but at the start < spoiler> jkafjdbwfdjh < / spoiler >

Lance Dale | 47 comments Latasha wrote: "Lance wrote: "What is the code for hiding spoilers? I have a feeling I'm going to fly through this one and don't want to ruin it for anyone. I'm loving it so far!"

no spaces but at the start jkaf..."

Thanks!!

message 15: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments Lance wrote: "I love that Part 2 is named after my favorite AC/DC song."

One of my faves, too.

And a good trigger warning for what to expect from Part 2!

message 16: by James (new)

James | 173 comments One of my faves as well, from an underrated album.

message 17: by Latasha (new)

Your welcome Lance.

message 19: by Atlanta (new)

Atlanta  (dark_leo) | 46 comments What's the title?

message 20: by James (new)

James | 173 comments Well, don't I feel stupid . . . I thought you were talking about "Evil Walks" when I said it was from an underrated album, Lance. Obviously "If You Want Blood" is NOT from an underrated album. That'd be like saying BACK IN BLACK sold a handful of copies through the years. heh

message 21: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments James wrote: "Well, don't I feel stupid . . . I thought you were talking about "Evil Walks" when I said it was from an underrated album, Lance. Obviously "If You Want Blood" is NOT from an underrated album. That..."

I thought that was a weird comment. I was, like, "Highway to Hell is underrated?" And then, "Oh man, I hope Newman isn't back on PCP."

Lance Dale | 47 comments James wrote: "Well, don't I feel stupid . . . I thought you were talking about "Evil Walks" when I said it was from an underrated album, Lance. Obviously "If You Want Blood" is NOT from an underrated album. That..."

Haha! I was a little confused for a second. "Evil Walks" is also a solid track though. I actually prefer the "For Those About to Rock" album to "Back in Black". That is an underrated album.

message 23: by Char (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adam wrote: "."Oh man, I hope Newman isn't back on PCP." "

LMAO

I think I just read the part that Lance was talking about regarding Lonnie. And yeah, (view spoiler)

message 24: by Char (new) - rated it 4 stars

Technically, this hasn't started yet, but I have a question anyway:

How did you guys come up with this idea? Who thought of it initially and how did it become something on which you would coordinate your efforts?

Char wrote: "Adam wrote: "."Oh man, I hope Newman isn't back on PCP." "

LMAO

I think I just read the part that Lance was talking about regarding Lonnie. And yeah, [spoilers removed]"

And yet there's something I like about the guy.....(view spoiler)

Lance Dale | 47 comments Wow! I just finished. Ioved it! This isn't really a spoiler but I'll tag it anyway (view spoiler)

message 27: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments Char wrote: "Technically, this hasn't started yet, but I have a question anyway:

How did you guys come up with this idea? Who thought of it initially and how did it become something on which you would coordina..."

The general idea started with me. I had the story loosely mapped out... up to our cast of characters encountering the "scapegoat."

But for the religious cult, I thought the book would benefit from someone with actual knowledge of that stuff. As you may know already, James is a Christian, one of the "good ones." But before he came to Christ, and I hope I'm not talking out of school here, James was a member of a death cult. As far as I know, he never sacrificed anybody himself, and he's since been deprogrammed, but he knows more about this stuff than I do.

Anyway, I digress! I pitched the general idea to James, and said one of my influences was a movie called "Judgement Night." That's when he flipped for the idea. Turns out that was a date movie for James and his wife... So we kinda took it from there.

message 28: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments Lance wrote: "Wow! I just finished. Ioved it! This isn't really a spoiler but I'll tag it anyway [spoilers removed]"

Awesome! Thanks, Lance. Glad you dug it.

message 29: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments Kimberly wrote: "Char wrote: "Adam wrote: "."Oh man, I hope Newman isn't back on PCP." "

LMAO

I think I just read the part that Lance was talking about regarding Lonnie. And yeah, [spoilers removed]"

And yet t..."

What could it possibly be, I wonder?

message 30: by James (new)

James | 173 comments Out and about today, and I hate typing on my cell, so more later, but for now I guess I gotta put more of Howe's GD lies to rest . . .

I am not on PCP. I haven't touched that stuff since last Halloween.

I didn't used to be in a death cult. I still am.

JN

message 31: by James (new)

James | 173 comments Glad to hear it rocked your world, Lance! :)

Lance Dale | 47 comments I love the recommended viewing section at the end. I can see the influence of all those in this book. It was nice seeing Judgement Night referenced.

message 33: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 29 comments I devoured this book in a single day and absolutely loved it! I loved the humor and the story was great. Very awesome.

message 34: by Char (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished it last night and all I can say is BRAVO! (view spoiler)

Regarding my questions above, I guess I should have waited until I finished it because you answered them all in the afterword.

In James' portion he calls Mike Mike Lawson, did you change it to Rawson in honor of a certain friend of ours?

I wonder that about the name Deveroux as well. (Boy, that Lonnie! He had my feelings running the gamut.)

Char wrote: "I finished it last night and all I can say is BRAVO! [spoilers removed]

Regarding my questions above, I guess I should have waited until I finished it because you answered them all in the afterwor..."

Ha! ;)

message 36: by James (new)

James | 173 comments That sounds like a typo on my part, that wasn't caught during line-edits. ;)

message 37: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments Way to go, Newman, you just ruined the book!

message 38: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments And Rawson & Deveroux were indeed named in tribute to you know who ;)

message 39: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments Amy wrote: "I devoured this book in a single day and absolutely loved it! I loved the humor and the story was great. Very awesome."

Thanks so much, Amy, glad you enjoyed it!

message 40: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments Lance wrote: "I love the recommended viewing section at the end. I can see the influence of all those in this book. It was nice seeing Judgement Night referenced."

Always glad to meet a fellow Judgment Night fan!

message 41: by Char (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adam wrote: "And Rawson & Deveroux were indeed named in tribute to you know who ;)"

I thought so! Very cool. :)

message 42: by James (new)

James | 173 comments Lance wrote: "Always glad to meet a fellow Judgment Night fan!"

Loved that movie. And the soundtrack too. My wife and I wore out not one but TWO copies of the cassette back in the day!

Lance Dale | 47 comments That soundtrack was awesome. I loved the rap/metal mix.

message 44: by Char (new) - rated it 4 stars

What's a cassette? ;P

Another question, was the band's name Wrathbone based on the book of the same name, by Jason Parent?

message 45: by James (new)

James | 173 comments Char wrote: "What's a cassette? ;P

<<< shakes fist at Char and tells her to get off my lawn

Another question, was the band's name Wrathbone based on the book of the same name, by Jason Parent?"

Yep, we stole it with Jason's permission. Thought it'd make a killer name for a cheese-metal band.

message 46: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments Come to think of it, I don't think we gave Jason an acknowledgement! I'll have to drop him a line, beg his forgiveness. I'd just read J.P.'s Wrathbone (which is awesome, btw) when James and I were brainstorming band names, and it seemed perfect. James, can you remember any other band names we considered? Seems SO damn long ago now!

message 47: by James (new)

James | 173 comments I don't recall, though I'm sure most of them were too obscene to be repeated here.

Lance Dale | 47 comments I would rock a Wrathbone shirt. It's like Bone Thugs n Harmony + spandex.

message 49: by Adam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Adam Howe | 17 comments Lance wrote: "I would rock a Wrathbone shirt. It's like Bone Thugs n Harmony + spandex."

Ha! The Wrathbone shirt would look slammin' with a headband and bicycle shorts.

Lance Dale | 47 comments Haha!!

« previous 1