The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Need To Fit A Book Into The Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joy Marie (new)

Joy Marie | 140 comments Hello all,
I really want to read Something from the Nightside by Simon R. Green. It does not fit into my Math catagory. Any other ideas on where I might be able to fit this book in?
Thanks!

message 2: by Dionisia (last edited Aug 19, 2009 04:38AM) (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments The word "from" is a preposition. You could fit your book into task #15.1 and choose another book with the word "from" in the title.

I think you could also use it for task #15.4: Read A Science Fiction Novel And Watch A Film Related To Science Or Scientific Discovery.

Or, you could listen to the audiobook version and use it for the "Let's Get Physical" task (#15.7).

message 3: by Joy Marie (new)

Joy Marie | 140 comments Dionisia wrote: "The word "from" is a preposition. You could fit your book into task #15.1 and choose another book with the word "from" in the title.

I think you could also use it for task #15.4: Read A Scienc..."

Thanks Dionisia, I think I will use it with the preposition task....didn't even think about that. already have it in book form so 15.4 is out and I'm reading Life, the Universe, and Everything for the sci-fi task.

message 4: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Happy to help!

Sarah (Mood Reader) (bookworm1887) | 467 comments If anyone is willing to help me work 6 books into this task please PM me. Thanks!

message 6: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 172 comments Which 6 books?

message 7: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Where would Middlesex or The Time Traveler's Wife fit? For the latter, I'm using a Wrinkle in Time for Travel Back in Time (cause I really wanna re-read).

message 8: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 28, 2009 09:01AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments I don't know anything about Middlesex, but The Time Traveler's Wife could be used for Task 15.4 as a science fiction book... or for Task 25.4 as a book within the last 10 years that was turned into a movie (plus, watch the movie).

Also, don't forget Task 15.3 - MATH for either book. I don't know what your numbers were, but you can check the title, author, and page numbers!

message 9: by Petra (last edited Aug 28, 2009 09:04AM) (new)

Petra Tanja wrote: "Where would Middlesex or The Time Traveler's Wife fit? For the latter, I'm using a Wrinkle in Time for Travel Back in Time (cause I really wanna re-read)."

Middlesex may fit into the Math Task, depending on your numbers or as audio for the Let's Get Physical task (it's great on audio).
It would be Cynthia's call but I wouldn't catagorize Time Traveller's Wife as Sci-Fi. There's nothing futuristic, robotic or space-like about it (which is my definition of Sci-Fi). It is, though, the perfect book for the Movie Task. Perhaps this one could also fit into the Math Task?

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Tanja wrote: "Where would Middlesex or The Time Traveler's Wife fit? For the latter, I'm using a Wrinkle in Time for Travel Back in Time (cause I really wanna re-read)."

Middlesex could be your one-word title.

message 11: by Katie ATX (new)

Katie ATX (katieatx) Middlesex could fit into the first part of task 25.7...its a one word title.

message 12: by Bridgit (last edited Aug 28, 2009 09:09AM) (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Tanja wrote: "Where would Middlesex or The Time Traveler's Wife fit? For the latter, I'm using a Wrinkle in Time for Travel Back in Time (cause I really wanna re-read)."

Time Traveler's Wife can fit in multiple spots:

15.1 - Use any book with the word 'Thyme' in it:
Harpy Thyme
Thyme of Death
Wild Mountain Thyme
Second Thyme Around
Thyme Out
Killing Thyme
Killing Thyme
The Diva Runs Out of Thyme

I'm not sure what your full name or age are, but it could possibly fit in on the math task. It has 536 pages, 20 letters in the title, and 17 letters in the author's name.

15.7 You can listen to it as an audio book

15.10 - the main character is a student

25.1 - the other main character is a librarian if that is your dream or actual job

25.8 - Ask Cait, but "time" may count as a thing.

Alternatively, you could fit A Wrinkle In Time in on other places and use Time Travellers wive for 5.10

Wrinkle could be used with any other book with "IN" in the title for task 15.1 for prepositions or again possibly the math task or possibly using 'wrinkle' as a noun.

message 13: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments If it helps, both wrinkle and time would be ok for the "thing" part of my task.

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments Katie wrote: "Middlesex could fit into the first part of task 25.7...its a one word title."

Katie wrote: "Tanja wrote: "Where would Middlesex or The Time Traveler's Wife fit? For the latter, I'm using a Wrinkle in Time for Travel Back in Time (cause I really wanna re-read)."

Middlesex could be your on..."

Great Katies think alike. ;)

message 15: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 28, 2009 09:18AM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Petra wrote: "It would be Cynthia's call but I wouldn't catagorize Time Traveller's Wife as Sci-Fi. There's nothing futuristic, robotic or space-like about it (which is my definition of Sci-Fi). It is, though, the perfect book for the Movie Task. Perhaps this one could also fit into the Math Task? "

It has time travel, doesn't it? I think I'd call it sci-fi because it has time-travel... which to me puts it in the sci-fi-fantasy-paranormal-etc realm. But I wouldn't call it fantasy or paranormal. So to me, that leaves sci-fi. Plus, almost 400 people have put the book on their science-fiction shelves...

But yes, when in doubt, ask Cynthia!

message 16: by El (new)

El I haven't read Time Traveller's Wife, but maybe this can help Cynthia make a determination (full link here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_...

Science fiction is a genre of fiction. It differs from fantasy in that, within the context of the story, its imaginary elements are largely possible within scientifically-established or scientifically-postulated laws of nature (though some elements in a story might still be pure imaginative speculation). Exploring the consequences of such differences is the traditional purpose of science fiction, making it a "literature of ideas".[1:] Science fiction is largely based on writing entertainingly and rationally about alternate possibilities[2:] in settings that are contrary to known reality.

These may include:

A setting in the future, in alternative timelines, or in a historical past that contradicts known facts of history or the archeological record
A setting in outer space, on other worlds, or involving aliens[3:]
Stories that involve technology or scientific principles that contradict known laws of nature[4:]
Stories that involve discovery or application of new scientific principles, such as time travel or psionics, or new technology, such as nanotechnology, faster-than-light travel or robots, or of new and different political or social systems (e.g., a dystopia, or a situation where organized society has collapsed)

message 17: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Thanks everyone!! I actually like the pairing with Thyme! Never would have considered that and it simply fits in with me wanting to read another mystery.

And I'd have to agree on the sci-fi/fantasy discussion. TTW is set as a fantasy than strict SF so I wouldn't be using that task.

And ooh on Middlesex! Didn't dawn on me to replace my currently planned one word title! Perfect fit!

It's more or less I wanted to use books I owned first and then hit my book club selections.

message 18: by Manday (new)

Manday | 311 comments I would definitely call time travelers wife sci fi. To me, something that involves time travel must either be fantasy or sci-fi, the different being in the explanation for time travel (either being magic or science), and in time travelers wife it is a scientific explanation (genetics)

It also could be used for the movie challenge, or for the people/place/thing (wife is a person, time is a thing?)

message 19: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Copied from the Wendy's task thread:
"Would it be okay to read a book about a transgender character as we..."

Wendy wrote: "As long as there is no suicide (not positive), transgender positive characters would be excellent-please recommend the book to me too!"

Middlesex probably fits Wendy's task (it's been years since I read it, but I believe it's a positive story).

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 696 comments One of my book clubs is reading The Ten-Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer. I was hoping to fit it into the fall challenge but I can't seem to find a place (the math task doesn't fit for this title). Any obvious tie that I'm missing? Thanks!

message 21: by Petra (new)

Petra Patricia wrote: "One of my book clubs is reading The Ten-Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer. I was hoping to fit it into the fall challenge but I can't seem to find a place (the math task doesn't fit for this..."

Can "Ten-Year" be considered to be one word due to the hyphenization? If so, this book could be your 3 word title for Cindy's task.

message 22: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Patricia wrote: "One of my book clubs is reading The Ten-Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer. I was hoping to fit it into the fall challenge but I can't seem to find a place (the math task doesn't fit for this..."

What about using it as your dream job? Stay at home mom? or as task 15.7 - read it while exercising?

message 23: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) just read the book blurb, would it work for self help? It seems to be the characters would be changing their lives?

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie Patricia wrote: "One of my book clubs is reading The Ten-Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer. I was hoping to fit it into the fall challenge but I can't seem to find a place (the math task doesn't fit for this..."

You might be able to use it for 5.7 - giving thanks - if you're thankful for motherhood, girlfriends, choices, privilege, etc.

Also, it might work for the third part of 25.8, Cait's task. A nap is a thing, right? Is a year a thing? I don't know...I'm so confused. :)

message 25: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 696 comments Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm thinking maybe I'll work it into my "childhood dream job". As a professional who one day will have children, I think I might just dream of staying at home. The choices today's women have to make!
: )

message 26: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) nap1  /næp/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [nap:] Show IPA verb, napped, nap⋅ping, noun
Use nap in a Sentence
See web results for nap
See images of nap
–verb (used without object) 1. to sleep for a short time; doze.
2. to be off one's guard: The question caught him napping.

–verb (used with object) 3. to sleep or doze through (a period of time, an activity, etc.) (usually fol. by away): I napped the afternoon away. He naps away most of his classes.

–noun 4. a brief period of sleep, esp. one taken during daytime: Has the baby had her nap?

I would say Definition 4 makes it a noun if used that way?

and year is very easily YES

year  /yɪər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [yeer:] Show IPA
Use year in a Sentence
See web results for year
See images of year
–noun 1. a period of 365 or 366 days, in the Gregorian calendar, divided into 12 calendar months, now reckoned as beginning Jan. 1 and ending Dec. 31 (calendar year or civil year). Compare common year, leap year.
2. a period of approximately the same length in other calendars.
3. a space of 12 calendar months calculated from any point: This should have been finished a year ago.

message 27: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 696 comments Ah, nice! Thanks for looking that up Teresa!

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie Teresa wrote: "nap1  /næp/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [nap:] Show IPA verb, napped, nap⋅ping, noun
Use nap in a Sentence
See web results for nap
See images of nap
–verb (used without object) 1. to sleep fo..."

LOL, I sooo appreciate you precision. And also, yay for dictionaries. :-)

message 29: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) You are quite welcome, I LOVE the internet, just last week we had a homework assignment needing a dictionary and OF COURSE no one can find one in our house, 4 kids 4 reasons as to who had it last LOL

NO problem I tell child THINKING homework is a no go

let me you introduce you to dictionary.com

ONE HAPPY MOM ONE UPSET CHILD : )

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentubbs) | 9 comments hey, can anyone help me fit in the Sandman series? I started reading them last week (before the challenge started) and am still reading them now, and would like to fit it in somehow!! Thanks!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) You rule, Teresa.

message 32: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Jennifer wrote: "hey, can anyone help me fit in the Sandman series? I started reading them last week (before the challenge started) and am still reading them now, and would like to fit it in somehow!! Thanks!"

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the series. Who is the author? Which titles are you interested in fitting in?

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jentubbs) | 9 comments The Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman. It's a series of 10 comic books. Basically, it's about a "being" called Dream, or the Sandman, that controls the dreams of all humans. I don't think that it would count as the "alternate universe" one, because the universe is the same to humans, it's just "behind the scenes" where most of it takes place. Although it does mention other super-heros, such as batman, where there is an alternate world. Would that work?

message 34: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Jennifer wrote: "The Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman. It's a series of 10 comic books. Basically, it's about a "being" called Dream, or the Sandman, that controls the dreams of all humans. I don't think that it wo..."

It would fit 25.8 the name of a Person. I don't know if it will fit in any of the math ones for you--the volume number may be the closest.

message 35: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Donna Jo wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "The Sandman Series by Neil Gaiman. It's a series of 10 comic books. Basically, it's about a "being" called Dream, or the Sandman, that controls the dreams of all humans. I don't..."

It would also fit in the 1 word title task. It might (?) fit in the 'hero' task. I don't know enough about the series to answer that question, but it might work there.

message 36: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 65 comments I need to fit The Forest of Hands And Teeth by Carrie Ryan into the challenge.

I also need to fit Bending Toward The Sun by Leslie Gilbert-Lurie

The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett

Benny & Shrimp by Katarina Mazetti

I know that's alot, but I've just now finished Forests of Hands and Teeth, the other three are required reading for something else and I thought if I could work them in, that would be awesome :-)

message 37: by Krista (last edited Sep 01, 2009 11:39PM) (new)

Krista (kacey14) April wrote: "I need to fit The Forest of Hands And Teeth by Carrie Ryan into the challenge.

The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover..."

Have you figured out many other tasks yet?

The Forest of Hands and Teeth would work for the 3rd book in Cait's task (25.8) since forest, hands and teeth are all nouns.

I'm not sure where the other books might fit, but part of the challenge in this challenge is for everyone to figure out where their specific books fit. :-)

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 813 comments April wrote: "I need to fit The Forest of Hands And Teeth by Carrie Ryan into the challenge.

The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover..."

Bending Toward the Sun A Mother and Daughter Memoir could fit in tasks 5.1 or 5.7 or 25.8(thing).

The Man Who Loved Books Too Much The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession Look at task 15.1 - "too" is a homophone with "to or two" - find another book with one of those words in the title Or 25.8(thing)

Benny & Shrimp fits task 25.7 and 25.8 part 1.

Also look at the math task to see if any fit or 20.2 or 20.1.

message 39: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 65 comments Thank you so much :-D

message 40: by Joy Marie (new)

Joy Marie | 140 comments Now I need to get A Game of Thrones; The Lost Symbol; and The Last Dickens A Novel into the challenge. I've asked if The Last Dickens will work for alternative history and am awaiting an answer. I've already used 15.1 and 25.7. Thanks for any help!

message 41: by Dionisia (last edited Sep 02, 2009 07:40PM) (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments A Game of Thrones: This would fit task #10.10 since there is a lion on the cover.

The Lost Symbol: This book may be used for task #15.10 because Robert Langdon is a college professor.

The Last Dickens A Novel: How about task #20.2 if you match it with two other books. (JKL, LMN, KLM, RST, STU, OR TUV)

And don't forget you could use any of these books for the rhyming task #25.1 if paired with a work of poetry.

message 42: by Katie (new)

Katie Joy Marie wrote: "Now I need to get A Game of Thrones; The Lost Symbol; and The Last Dickens A Novel into the challenge. I've asked if The Last Dickens will work for alte..."

Either would work for 25.8 part 3 (object: game, thrones, symbol) or 20.2 (ABC).

message 43: by Joy Marie (new)

Joy Marie | 140 comments Thanks guys!

message 44: by Krista (new)

Krista (kacey14) Joy Marie wrote: "Now I need to get A Game of Thrones; The Lost Symbol; and The Last Dickens A Novel into the challenge. I've asked if The Last Dickens will work for alte..."

The Last Dickens A Novel would also work for the proper name portion of task 25.8.

message 45: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Joy Marie wrote: "Now I need to get A Game of Thrones; The Lost Symbol; and The Last Dickens A Novel into the challenge. I've asked if The Last Dickens will work for alte..."

can it fit under the a,b,c challenge ( it is 20 points)

message 46: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mamamunky) | 172 comments I've had What-the-Dickens The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy by Gregory Maguire on my to-read list forever and finally managed to find a copy, so now I wanna fit it into the challenge. Any ideas where I could fit?

message 47: by Bridgit (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Lindsey wrote: "I've had What-the-Dickens The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy by Gregory Maguire on my to-read list forever and finally managed to find a copy, so now I wanna fit it into the challenge...."

- It can fit under the 20 point ABC task for W.
- Under Cait's Noun task for Person (Dickens) or Thing (Tooth)
- Under the 15.1 Preposition task using "of"
- You could read it while exercizing under 15.7

message 48: by Petra (new)

Petra Lindsey wrote: "I've had What-the-Dickens The Story of a Rogue Tooth Fairy by Gregory Maguire on my to-read list forever and finally managed to find a copy, so now I wanna fit it into the challenge...."

There's the Proper Name or the Thing Noun task and if the character experiences a positive, personal growth experience it may qualify for the 2nd half of the Self-Help task (you'd have to have that confirmed), you could try to rhyme one of the words in the title with a book of poems.
Do one of those work for you, Lindsey?

message 49: by Sara (new)

Sara (hoot31) Need to fit in The Elegance of the Hedgehog. Any suggestions?

message 50: by Alice (new)

Alice (aliceg) | 429 comments Of is a preposition so if you can find another book with of in the title you can use it for 15.1 I have found there are quite a lot of books with of in the title as I used that task to fit in a couple of my tbr books!

Hedgehog is a noun for a thing so you could use it for 30.1 also.

You can use it as an E or a T for the 20 point ABC task.

I'm sure they are probably all the tasks you could work out yourself but I haven't read the book so I don't know about other ones! Hope that helps though!

« previous 1