Start by marking “Wild Mountain Thyme” as Want to Read:
Wild Mountain Thyme

Wild Mountain Thyme

When you read a novel by Rosamunde Pilcher you enter a special world where emotions sing from the heart. A world that lovingly captures the ties that bind us to one another-the joys and sorrows, heartbreaks and misunderstandings, and glad, perfect moments when we are in true harmony. A world filled with evocative, engrossing, and above all, enjoyable portraits of people's ...more
Published November 15th 1996 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Wild Mountain Thyme, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Mountain Thyme

MomToKippy
Wow, this was a surprisingly wonderful Pilcher! I only say that because I tend to expect the shorter novels to be a little less interesting than her "big" novels but this one was nearly just as good. This was a lovely story with a compelling setting and atmosphere in the Northern Scotland seaside and interesting quirky characters. Her very visual prose, a little romance and some tragedy and angst make for a satisfying read.
Masteatro
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leídos-en-2018
Una historia entrañable, predecible, sí, pero entrañable al fin y al cabo.
Está vez viajamos hasta las tierras altas de Escocia de la mano de Rosamunde Pilcher y el viaje, como siempre que nos acompañan sus historias, resulta placentero.
No creo que sea una de sus mejores novelas pero es perfectamente disfrutable sí te gustan las historias sencillas pero llenas de reflexión y sentimiento sin llegar nunca a ser empalagosas.
Me reafirmó en que quiero seguir leyendo a esta mujer
Dawnie
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
lots of stupidly overdone and very strange Drama, horrendes Male Lead that kidnaps a 2 year old without anyone calling the police and a complete push over as the main female lead - for my first book by the author I think I could not have chosen a worse one!

I was told by a handful of people that I just have to read a Pilcher book because I would just love her....
I am guessing this book was NOT was those people meant for me to read since this was NOT my personal reading taste - at all!!

I hate we
Flave
Apr 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Let me make this clear: I HATE weak women. And such a woman is, unfortunately, the protagonist Victoria Bradshaw. She is even described as being pale and having colourless hair! Everything dear Victoria cares about is pleasing men, so they don't get annoyed by her. Thus, she lets them (or this one, an artist, Oliver Dobbs) treat her like dirt, and still, as if somebody pressed the standby button on her brain (IF she has one, one might ask, reading that book), she runs after Oliver, apparently th ...more
Angie
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one of the longer of her "short" books, and unfortunately for me, the last one I hadn't read with the exception of the short story collections of Flowers in Rain and the Blue Bedroom. I love her books because they are gently written, invoke a bygone era, and leave you with fuzzies inside. Readers should remember these were written many years ago, and I think that is why some people interpret her females as weak. You could say that Victoria in this novel is weak and stupid, or you can thi ...more
Amber
Aug 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One!
Shelves: romance
Okay...going into this, I already knew that Rosamunde Pilcher's books moved at a very leisurely pace, but this one was absolutely excruciating. Besides that, just about nothing actually happened in the book and it was all just very predictable. Not to mention there are only so many descriptions of scenery a person can take. Probably about a third of the book was devoted to describing the surrounding area in Scotland. I am so relieved to be done with this book.
Marcela
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
“Leitura leve para preencher o ócio”

Este é o meu segundo livro de Rosamunde, e da mesma forma que o primeiro, a escritora conseguiu me transpor ao local da história por meio da descrição dos espaços e das personagens. Decidi iniciar o livro em um momento de ócio, e embora o enredo não tenha sido muito instigante, foi bastante agradável a leitura. Recomendo para quem procura uma leitura mais leve.
Σπυροπούλου
Ισως οχι το καλύτερο της (3,5 αστεράκια )αλλα η Πίλτσερ ποτε δεν με απογοητευει!Με την γραφή και τις υπέροχες περιγραφές της μου βγάζει πάντα ηρεμία και αισιοδοξία. Μου άρεσε!
Rebekah
Bev Taylor
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
oliver has stolen his 2 year old son from his grandparents - but he walked out on when the marriage broke up

he turns up on the doorstep of victoria - an ex girlfriend who's heart he also broke - and she agrees to his suggestion that they go on a journey to scotland together

they arrive at an estate where a person whom oliver met at a literary function said that he was welcome at any time? would they be?

yes, roddy welcomed the company as his brother had just died leaving the estate to his nephe
Claudia
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
The descriptions of the emotions as well as the landscape are so vivid that the reader feels as if he/she is watching a film. Beautiful
Koen
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: others
“Wild Mountain Thyme”, written by Rosamunde Pilcher. ISBN 978-1-144-76193-1, printed in Great Britain by Clays Ltd, St. Ives plc.
Copyright 1978 and first published in 1980.

Nice writing from Pilcher and easy to read.

List of characters:

Mr and Mrs Archer
Thomas, the Archers’ two-year-old grandson
Helga, Swedish au pair for Thomas.
Jeanette Archer, Thomas’ mother who died in an airplane crash.
Oliver Dobbs, Thomas’ father.

Victoria Bradshaw, working at Sally Sharman clothing shop.
Sally Sharman, owner of
Stella

Το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο το είχα στη βιβλιοθήκη μου εδώ και αρκετό καιρό δώρο μιας καλής συναδέλφου από τη δουλειά η οποία είναι λάτρης της Rosamunde Pilcher.
Η ηρωίδα είναι η Victoria Bradshaw η οποία στα 18 της ερωτεύεται παράφορα ένα Λονδρέζο θεατρικό συγγραφέα τον Oliver Dobbs. Εκείνος όμως κάποια στιγμή την εγκαταλείπει ξαφνικά και εξαφανίζεται από τη ζωή της.
Τα χρόνια περνούν και ο Oliver κάνει πάλι την εμφάνιση του ως χήρος πια και έχοντας ένα δίχρονο αγοράκι. Και φυσικά επειδή η Victoria δ
Sue
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, scotland
Oliver Dobbs shows up on the doorstep of Victoria Bradshaw one evening three years after their previous relationship. Oliver has his 2yr old son Tom with him. He tells her that he came because it was the most logical in the circumstances and she accepts them in. Together they take a trip north to Scotland to the home of Roddy Dunbeath – a writer Oliver knows and of whom Victoria is a fan. They arrive two days after the funeral of Roddy’s brother Jock, laird of the manor. Although uncomfortable ...more
Bark (2 Dumb 2 Read Blurbs)
I read this as an abridged audiobook and though the writing was very lyrical the heroine started out as a spineless ninny easily wooed with pretty words and heated glances. I found myself screaming at thin air "don't fall for it!" "don't do it" but, darn, she went and gave up her life for a bearded, selfish, thoughtless nincompoop.

This book was read by Kate Burton who does a beautiful job with the Irish brogue and made listening to the story a real pleasure. I continued to have "issues" with th
miss l coombe
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A reassuringly Pilcher-resque read

I have loved Rosamund Pilcher's ever since borrowing "Coming Home" from my grandmother as a teenager. Wild Mountain Thyme delivers Pilcher's trademark beautiful description of the natural landscape- of Scotland this time though, rather than Cornwall. She also throws some old fashioned romance and a pinch of heartbreak and hint of tragedy. All in all a really satisfying read. If I had to make a negative remark about the book I would suggest that the closing line
Joan
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Well written, the characters really well rounded so that you had feelings about them. Oliver- a writer, a cad, egotistical,self centred,charming, selfish, manipulative,with a mean streak.
Victoria- unsure of herself, shy, easily charmed and manipulated to fall into line with his plans. The trip to Benchoile, meeting Roddy and John,caring for Tom and seeing Oliver in a different light changes Victoria and changes the outcome of their relationship. Beautifully descriptive of the lifestlye and and l
Karen
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel-the-world
The Shell Seekers will always be my favorite book by Pilcher, having said that I did enjoy Wild Mountain Thyme, which is set in Scotland. To be honest I found the protagonists in this book frustrating. Oliver Dobbs is a successful author, who is also egotistical to an unbelievable degree. Victoria loves Oliver, and wants only to be with him. The gorgeous descriptions of Scotland are what made this novel so good.
Jina Howell-Forbes
As in all Rosamunde Pilcher books, there is great scenic description, multiple family, multiple generation characters, and a love story. This was atypical book for her in all those aspects, but I didn't feel the closeness and connection to the characters in the way I have in other books she has written. They were all a little too flawed. There were ni characters that I would have liked to ask over for "tea and a bit of a tongue wag.

Not a bad book, just not Rosamunde at her best.
Rachael
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fun-reads
My least favorite of all the Pilcher books that I have read so far! I could not stand Oliver and his actions and felt like the writing matched the weight of the situation. For a more complete review check out my blog, Rachael Reads.

Kitty b shonda
Jan 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
The first 80 pages I fought reading this book. I love Rosamunde Pilcher's books, but this one was totally off her usual mark. I will long remember the Oliver Dobbs character & not fondly either. Since I was snowbound, I forced myself to stay with it! Story picked up & other characters showed who were more typical of Pilcher's characters. I do not recommend reading it.
Lynne Benton
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Goo-ey of course, old fashioned in some respects and a bit weak at the end but good escapist reading; nice descriptions of Scottish country, village and home. A relaxing easy read and satisfying when that's what's wanted - Oliver is self centred and supposed to be; Victoria is passive and a follower - but I could accept that; John perhaps a bit too accomplished but likeable..
Nessa
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Jean Lehman
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short but excellent.

This book was great. Interesting and well written. Yesterday, I wrote a bad review of Pilcher's book "Sleeping Tiger" which was very disappointing for me, but I decided to try another one and am VERY glad I did. Now I will investigate more of her novels until I have read them all. Thank you!
Cynthia
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love everything by Ms Pilcher and they are fantastic re reads. Romantic and unashamedly sentimental, full of warmth and wonderful characters.
Ellenk
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable easy read. Working this month on reading books I have been given/loaned. Then I can return for Christmas!
Rachel Hyland
Mar 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
I ended up with a stack of Rosamunde Pilcher books when my mother did a bookcase cleanout. I’ve long meant to read something by her, and her covers promised some chick-lit charm the likes of Mary Stewart and Maeve Binchy, so she was definitely on my radar. I assumed I’d at least not hate her books.

But, no. This book I HATED. I hated it so much, I could barely believe what I was reading. How was this is a book that had been published? How was this a book people bought, and read, and then allowed
Michelle's Book Club Review
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wild Mountain Thyme is a short novel by British author Rosamunde Pilcher and is one of three books in my Omnibus. It’s around 200 pages and it’s the last one in this Omnibus that I read. I think for some reason I was put off reading it because of the title. I didn’t expect that a book named after an herb would be as good as it is! The title comes from a line in the song, Will you go, lassie, go, that you can listen to Joan Baez sing it on YouTube.

It is so good, for me it’s one of the best Rosam
Kari
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Pilcher books because they immediately put you in this super cozy world that, by modern standards, feels slightly disconnected but in an outdated sort of way, when we didn't have immediate information at our fingertips. I always desperately want to go live in an English or Scottish village during the winter while reading Pilcher.

Despite the back cover blurb, the story never seemed to actually focus on this female protagonist, Victoria. Instead, I found it to be much more male in
Ella
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun read for me; not because it was particularly well written, but because there were just as many moments of 1978 strangeness as needed to balance out the Lifetime movie plot points. I could tell from the get-go that this was a novel of the times for a few reasons:

~ A bizarre obsession with "young people" and their "energy" found in anyone over 40
~ The tug o' war between the young, dark, handsome banker and the bearded, responsibility-be-damned, Don Juan playwright turned kidnapper
~
  • An Ocean Apart
  • A Week in Winter
  • King's Oak
  • The Camerons
  • Silver Wedding
  • Second Honeymoon
  • Blessings
  • The Heart of the Family (Eliots of Damerosehay, #3)
  • Fletchers' End
  • Village Affairs (Fairacre, #13)
Rosamunde Scott was born on 22 September 1924 in Lelant, Cornwall, England, UK, daughter of Helen and Charles Scott, a British commander. Just before her birth her father was posted in Burma, her mother remained in England. She attended St. Clare's Polwithen and Howell's School Llandaff before going on to Miss Kerr-Sanders' Secretarial College. She began writing when she was seven, and published h ...more
“Marriage isn't a love affair. It isn't even a honeymoon. It's a job. A long hard job, at which both partners have to work, harder than they've worked at anything in their lives before. If it's a good marriage, it changes, it evolves, but it does on getting better. I've seen it with my own mother and father. But a bad marriage can dissolve in a welter of resentment and acrimony. I've seen that, too, in my own miserable and disastrous attempt at making another person happy. And it's never one person's fault. It's the sum total of a thousand little irritations, disagreements, idiotic details that in a sound alliance would simply be disregarded, or forgotten in the healing act of making love. Divorce isn't a cure, it's a surgical operation, even if there are no children to consider.” 159 likes
“I wasn't good enough. I had a little talent but not enough. There is nothing more discouraging than having just a little talent.” 14 likes