2019 Reading Challenge discussion

General Information > Introductions

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amelia (new)

Amelia Uebel | 28 comments Mod
Welcome to the 2019 reading challenge!

I’m so excited that you guys chose to join me for this amazing journey for 2019. This year I have challenged all of you (and myself) to read 300 books throughout the entire year. In the group description, I linked a few documents that I put together to help keep track of your progress. Feel free to print them out or use your own organization systems. Throughout the year, I will host monthly 24 hour readathons and have a book of the month every month that you can feel free to read and join in discussions the last week. I will post complete list of both the readathon dates and the books for each month so you can prepare ahead of time. I will post at least weekly throughout the whole year.

Anyways, more about me… My name is Amelia and I (obviously) love reading. I also love drawing and playing volleyball when I’m not at school. I love country music, although I listen to all genres of music. My favorite book genre is YA fiction/ contemporaries and my favorite book of all time is Vicious by V.E. Schwab. I love baking and drinking hot tea. And, most importantly, Iwill be your host for this challenge!

Introduce yourselves and maybe give me a goal of yours for this year (it can be more or less than 300). What is your favorite book? Also, feel free to ask any question about me or the challenge that you have.

Thank you and happy reading!

message 2: by Martha (last edited Dec 27, 2018 07:26AM) (new)

Martha Foster (martha_foster) | 6 comments Hi,
Glad to have found this group (googling Goodreads 2019 reading challenge to see if/when it started up), and I know it'll be quite a challenge to read 300 books! I am barely meeting this year's challenge I made to myself to read a book a week. But I'm sure going to try! :)
My favorite genre of books is non-fiction history or science, but love a good mystery novel. My favorite book of all time is Norman Maclean's Young Men and Fire.
Best wishes for 2019 and looking forward to the Challenge! Happy reading!
Martha Foster

message 3: by Sassenach (new)

Sassenach (JoelleSassenach) | 26 comments Hi,
I'm glad to join this reading challenge. I don't know if I will be able to read 300 books in the year ... so far, the best I did was 293 books and it was in 2011.

And I have a question : do graphic novels and comics count in the challenge ? I ask that because in the 293 books I've read in 2011, half of them were graphic novels (for an average page count per graphic novel of 133 ... not so small ones !)

My favorite genre is difficult to say : I love thrillers and mysteries but I also like history and science-fiction and horror novels. I can't say I have a favorite book ... there are so many of them I loves through the years so it's impossible to choose ;)

Thanks for the links (and I pointed all the dates for the readathons in my agenda). I'm looking foward to the challenge.

Happy reading and all the best wishes for 2019 !

Joelle/Sassenach (from Brittany, France)

message 4: by Amelia (new)

I’m so glad that you guys have decided to join the group!! It’s so much bigger than last year‘s group. I only had 10 people last year, now I have 160. To answer your question, graphic novels do count in the challenge. I will try and figure out why the link isn’t working as fast as I can and I’ll let you guys know when I fix it.

Happy readings,
Amelia

message 5: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 4 comments Hi, I'm Valerie.
I can't wait to start this challenge with you guys but if I'm honest I started using Goodreads this time last year but gave up after about May. I know that 300 book is way too ambitious for me but I'm going to try to go for 52. I'm 15 years old (so I'm going to take a wild guess that I'm maybe one of the youngest in this group). So I'm not sure if I'll be able to do the monthly reads. But anyway good luck for 2019 and happy reading!- Val

message 6: by Antonisha (new)

Antonisha (AntonishaLaShay) | 2 comments Hi all. I'm looking forward to this group and the challenge. My favorite genre is mystery and true crime but historical fiction comes in a very close second. I haven't had a favorite book since I was a child and that was Anne Rice's vampire books. There are just too many good ones to choose. I hope short stories count in our total because I love Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot so I will be including many of those in my list.

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha Foster (martha_foster) | 6 comments Amelia wrote: "I will try and figure out why the link isn’t working as fast as I can and I’ll let you guys know when I fix it"

Hi Amelia, The links are working for me now, don't know why one of them wasn't working the other day. Thanks for all the work you put into the group and printouts, this challenge looks like a lot of fun! :)

Abbie DiscoSuperFly Hi, I am Abbie. My goal will also be 300.

As if today I have 292 for 2018!

message 9: by Martha (new)

Martha Foster (martha_foster) | 6 comments Abbie DiscoSuperFly wrote: "Hi, I am Abbie. My goal will also be 300.

As if today I have 292 for 2018!"

Amazing - congrats!

message 10: by Viha (new)

Viha | 1 comments Hi, I am Viha and I am planning to read 100 books in 2019 it is really exciting to do this reading challenge...I wish I could do 300 but school gets in the way so I will definitely try 100.

message 11: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 9 comments Hi, I'm Jackie. I'd like to say I'm going to read 300 books but not sure if that is achievable so for now I'm setting a goal of 100.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 2 comments Hi I'm Ashley and my goal is to read 300 books in 2019. I'm so excited to participate in this challenge!

Abbie DiscoSuperFly Hi everyone!

message 14: by Jesse (new)

Jesse | 1 comments Hello everyone! I read 100 books last year and can't imagine I'd have come close to 300 if I tried...but who knows? The key I think is to avoid War and Peace, Karl Ove Knausgaard Volume 6, etc...those are like 10 books but count as 1.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie Fashbinder | 1 comments Hi! I'm Katie and I'm excited to do this. I think I'll get pretty close. On average I read about 5 books a week but I just had a baby 10 weeks ago so we'll see!! Question. Does it matter what book we read or it can be any book? Looking forward to starting tomorrow!

message 16: by Amelia (new)

Katie wrote: "Hi! I'm Katie and I'm excited to do this. I think I'll get pretty close. On average I read about 5 books a week but I just had a baby 10 weeks ago so we'll see!! Question. Does it matter what book ..."
Welcome Katie! And congrats on your little one. In response to your question, no. It doesn't matter what kind of books you read for the challenge. They can be poetry, picture books (children's), graphic novels. Don't forget that audio books count too!

Happy reading,
Amelia

message 17: by Lynn (last edited Jan 02, 2019 01:53PM) (new)

Lynn (LynnsReads) | 48 comments Hello. Last year I read 104 texts, but they were not all 100 page books. That number includes children's books and some short stories. My Goodreads member goal for 2019 is 75 books, but perhaps I will go over and get closer to 300. Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful year of reading.

Amelia, I like the spreadsheet better this year. The categories are alright, but I prefer just a simple list.

Oh I forgot to say my favorite book. I do not have a permanent favorite book. My two favorite books I read last year were All Quiet on the Western Front and The Remains of the Day which were both incredible. Also, somehow I had managed to live to the age of 56 without ever reading The Little Prince. It is beautiful. Finally, I want to mention two dogs books which were so good Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog and A Dog's Purpose.

message 18: by Louise (new)

Louise Morris | 7 comments I am Louise and I am excited about attempting this. I only did about 58 books in 2018, but am going to push myself to read more this year.

message 19: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 9 comments Jesse wrote: "Hello everyone! I read 100 books last year and can't imagine I'd have come close to 300 if I tried...but who knows? The key I think is to avoid War and Peace, Karl Ove Knausgaard Volume 6, etc...th..."

That's my problem... I gravitate to books that nearly require a load of Egyptian slaves to carry!

message 20: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 9 comments Lynn wrote: "Hello. Last year I read 104 texts, but they were not all 100 page books. That number includes children's books and some short stories. My Goodreads member goal for 2019 is 75 books, but perhaps I w..."

Spreadsheet? What spreadsheet? I've looked and can't see anything.

J

message 21: by Amelia (new)

There is a link in the challenge description that leads to a spreadsheet and a fill in the box counter for the books you read. It’s not necessary to use them but they’re there for your enjoyment.

Happy reading,
Amelia

message 22: by Abbie DiscoSuperFly (last edited Jan 01, 2019 10:49AM) (new)

Abbie DiscoSuperFly Jackie wrote: "Lynn wrote: "Hello. Last year I read 104 texts, but they were not all 100 page books. That number includes children's books and some short stories. My Goodreads member goal for 2019 is 75 books, bu..."

I was just thinking the same.. I didnt see any spreadsheet...must go on a hunt

message 23: by Alisa (new)

Alisa Roberts | 1 comments Hey! So glad I found this, I've been really slacking on my reading the past couple of years so I'm excited to start this :)

message 24: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 04, 2019 07:41AM) (new)

Elizabeth Mellen (librarypatronus) | 37 comments Hi, I'm hoping to read 300 books this year, but beyond that posibly 365 (I'm going with 300 for now to see how I'm doing, because I don't want to feel bummed I didn't make it)

I read 305 books in 2018 (counting only books for me, and not picture books I chose for my kids) and really didn't read much in the early months. I'm so excited to see other people with high goals to cheer on, because sometimes it feels a little bragging to mention such a high goal in other groups.

My non-number goals are to read eclectically (in genre, age of book, audience, size of book, etc) and not just a bunch of YA fantasy which tends to be my go-to even though I end up loving other things when I pick them up!

Amelia wrote: "my favorite book of all time is Vicious by V.E. Schwab."

I am so into V.E Schwab, and Vicious was AMAZING. I need to pick up The Near Witch soon because I read most of her other stuff last year

message 25: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 9 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Hi, I'm hoping to read 300 books this year, but beyond that posibly 365 (I'm going with 300 for now to see how I'm doing, because I don't want to feel bummed I didn't make it) ."

Elizabeth, yup I'm aiming for 300. Started reading my 1st book on 2 Jan (History of Film by David Parkinson). Already I'm half way through it.