Start by marking “A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)

A Dog's Purpose

(A Dog's Purpose #1)

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  108,328 ratings  ·  13,005 reviews
This is the remarkable story of one endearing dog's search for his purpose over the course of several lives. More than just another charming dog story, this touches on the universal quest for an answer to life's most basic question: Why are we here?

Surprised to find himself reborn as a rambunctious golden haired puppy after a tragically short life as a stray mutt, Bailey'
Hardcover, 1st edition (US/CAN), 319 pages
Published July 2010 by Forge

To ask other readers questions about A Dog's Purpose, please sign up.
Cathy I read A Dog's Purpose in two sessions (only because I had to go to work) through tears. As a dog lover and Veterinary Technician, it hurt to read the…moreI read A Dog's Purpose in two sessions (only because I had to go to work) through tears. As a dog lover and Veterinary Technician, it hurt to read the neglect and abuse. But those tears turned to happiness and then to sadness. My opinion was that you really understood dogs. (read my review) I wondered where this writer had been hiding? 8 Simple Rules for Dating My Teenage Daughter?!?! Not my thing at all. Then I enjoyed A Dog's Journey and Emory's Gift, then finally read 8 Simple Rules, really disappointing after the first 3 I read. I've not yet read The Dogs of Christmas, looking forward though, (too many books on my lists) and I do want to read The Midnight Plan... I doubt I'll read any more How to... or Rules..., just not something I'm interested in (even though when I like an author, I try to read everything)
(less)
Cathy It has some sad parts, but overall, it's a 'feel good' book. It's worth the read
The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
1,087 books — 1,891 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniWater for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Best for Book Clubs
6,616 books — 12,144 voters

More lists with this book...

·  108,328 ratings  ·  13,005 reviews

Start your review of A Dog's Purpose (A Dog's Purpose, #1)
Chrissie
Aug 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It made me look at my own dog differently, wondering how it feels, how much it loves me, and what it thinks about his own life. I hope that all animals souls are like the ones in this book and I found myself laughing as much as I was crying while reading this book
W. Cameron
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This book confirms what you know in your heart to be true, that love never dies, and that our animal friends are always with us.
Miranda Reads
Prepare your heartstrings...
I had never bothered to consider that there might be such a thing as a boy, but now that I had found one, I thought it was just about the most wonderful concept in the world.
Ahhh, snap goes one heartstring right away.

The more I read this book, the fewer heartstrings I had - completely touching and absolutely wonderful throughout.
Cleaning the dishes was where the boy would put a plate of food down and I would lick it. It was one of my jobs, but only when Mom
Elyse  Walters
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Update: For those who have been considering reading this book....
It's on sale today for $1.99 as a Kindle deal

I saw the movie ..Anyone else? Thoughts?
I thought it was well done....but it 'was'
sad and scary in a couple of scenes.
I'm aware of protestors...
And ... I'm still glad I saw it.

"I loved my world, the Yard. I loved running through the mud by the water trough, my paws making a dirty splatter that flecked my fur".

I've seen the movie trailer.....had picked up a new copy hardcover for a do
Federico DN
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: almost-fav
Many lives. One everlasting unwavering loyalty.

In this novel we learn the story of "Bailey", a very special doggy. Through many of his several reincarnations, from wild to domestic dog, a very confused and adventurous Bailey tries to find the existential purpose of all his many lives, and the reason of his dogness. Bailey is a good dog, and when he finds eight years old Ethan, everything seems to fall into place; but a dog's life is brittle, and Ethan is not safe...

Funny. Endearing. Extremely mo
Heidi Brydon
Jun 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE TO MY UPDATE!

This book was one of the top five "Best Fiction" in the 2010 Goodreads Awards! It came in at number 4, beating out Jonathon Franzen's Freedom, which got a lot of hype. I'm so psyched that so many people agreed with me that this book was the best novel of 2010!

UPDATE TO MY REVIEW BELOW! I JUST FOUND OUT ON FACEBOOK THAT THIS BOOK IS NOMINATED FOR THE GOODREADS CHOICE AWARD OF 2010!!!! I hope all the people here who have loved it as much as I did will vote and it wins!

I got an
Philip
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
2ish stars.

As a dog owner (I have a 10-month-old Goldendoodle named Fritz, short for Fritzgerald, yes the extra 'r' is intentional) and lover, I enjoyed this book and found it somewhat heartwarming. As a book lover I recognize this book as cute but insubstantial and ultimately more cloying than inspirational. It's easy-to-read fluff that fulfilled its purpose as something to listen to on a road trip to Southern Utah and appease my wife.

Thoughts I had while listening: Dogs can be really annoyin
F
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, usa
5 stars not so much for storyline but for completely understanding dogs!
So emotional so many times. Dogs are the best.
Cheri
Apr 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book sometime in the past month or so based on several recommendations, it sat on the coffee table as a reminder, yet in all the time I never once read any reviews or previews of the story.
This afternoon I picked it up to read around noon and finished it just before 6pm tonight.
I loved the voice of "the dog," through every incarnation, from the very first lines "One day it occurred to me that the warm, squeaky, smelly things squirming around next to me were my brothers and sister.
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

It’s time once a year for my library’s Winter Reading Challenge and my chance to score a FREEEEEEEE coffee mug. (Yes, I am the cheapest date you could ever imagine.) This year’s theme????

Basically any book that became a movie or television program. It turns out this is apparently the list of recommended reads I grab onto each year because I had read a bigly portion of the suggested titles (and had less than zero interest in some o
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Hooked by Title and Cover
This story is bitter-sweet, sentimental to the extreme and stylistically almost childlike in its simplicity, exactly what I expected from a book titled ‘A Dog’s Purpose’. It didn’t disappoint. 4 stars for delivering such a charming piece of escapism, couldn’t put it down, polished it off in a day and a half.

And I just want to say to Toby, Bailey, Ellie & Buddy – Good Dog!
Susanna
Aug 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have or have ever had a dog in your life, PLEASE pick up this book. I tore through this in 48 hours with very little sleep and experienced the entire roller coaster of emotions.
Beth Allen
Sep 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
I knew better than to believe the gushing reviews that said this was the best book ever written in the history of books, and that the author "accurately" captured what goes on in a (reincarnated) dog's mind. Really?

While cute and mildly entertaining, this novel is, at best, an easy-to-read, mediocre tale about this dog's lives, and his favorite owner. I just don't get the hype over it. Editorial reviews call this a tear-jerker. It tried, but failed to really pull at my heartstrings, and I am a
Leila
Wow! This book took me entirely by surprise. It is one of the best books I have read in quite awhile. I loved it! It touched my heart and made me think a lot. I shed many tears or at least felt a lump in my throat often but it made me laugh a lot too. This incredible story is told by Baily who for a certain reason is 'different' and is therefore a truly unique dog.

Baily shares with us all the thoughts and emotions he encounters on life in general. The central question he meets and considers...
Paula
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Terrific book. I smiled, laughed, and cried. Get out the Kleenex box! Read in a couple of days.
Charlie
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! After I finished reading it I couldn't decide whether to loan it to somebody else so they could experience it or read it again. I decided to buy two more copies so I could read it again while I loaned it to my boss and my roommate. The author has a website www.adogspurpose.com where my rottweiler Maverick was almost voted dog of the week (we lost to a puppy, such is life). I found out that the book is going to be a Dreamworks movie (anyone know a release date?) and ...more
Carolyn
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-stories, 2017
A lovely book about a dog looking for his purpose in life. He goes through four births/rebirths as the same soul in a different dog, adding his experiences and knowledge through the ups and downs of life as a dog. He wants to serve his human owners to the best of his ability even if they are cruel and thoughtless. His joy in being a dog shines through with his delight in running and explorng, his disdain of cats (who have no purpose that he can see) and his love for the special boy in his life. ...more
Amanda
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing

A Dog's Purpose is the story of a dog with a deep affection for people and his search for his purpose in life. He begins life as a feral dog but is soon reborn and finds himself with an eight-year-old boy named Ethan. This book has the perfect balance of sentiment, humor, and suspense. Once I picked it up, I could not put it down. I love the ideas that everyone comes into each others' lives for a purpose and that the love continues even after death and the hope that we'll be reunited ev
Marisa
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
such a good book with so much emotion. you can really tell that the author took his time creating a dog with enough love and determination to make this story great.he did a marvelous job getting in to a dog's brain and interpreting the things they see and hear. i loved the ending to this book and i would recommend it to anyone who loves a wonderful book. great job W. Bruce Cameron! i truly loved it!
A Dog's Purpose is the first installment in W. Bruce Cameron's fiction, animal POV series titled A Dog's Purpose. Initially, I wasn't into this book. The simplicity of the writing is almost childlike as the narrator is a dog who is confused by human behavior and just wants to please in any way. However, animal reincarnation was an interesting spin that kept the story from stalling...and then the tears came for me about 2/3 of the way through. Finally, I was invested.

I didn't love A Dog's Purpos
Jesica
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Because failure isn’t an option if success is just a matter of more effort.

Before I start my review, I think I’ll post the picture of my four legged reading buddy, Mo, who often sit beside me as I read this book and enjoys being a front-seat dog as much as Bailey.

description

Let me ask a question. Have you ever think of what your purpose in your life? If not, well, you are beaten by a dog. This book tells of a dog who’s seeking it’s purpose in life through four lifetime. The story divided into four parts as
Debra
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a cute book (told from the dog's POV) about one dog's search for purpose in life. Although in this book the dog wan't just one dog he was Toby,Bailey, Ellie, and Buddy. He was born, he lived, he died to be reborn again. In each of his lives he searches for his purpose.

This book was sad at times and happy at times. It also probably helped people to look at dogs, and other pets differently. There has always been a lot of talk about just what animals feel, are owners placing huma
Christa Desrosiers
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read. Anyone who has ever had a dog needs to read this. It is funny and heartwarming.
Connor
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogs, fiction
[4.5 Stars]

My Video Review:

da AL
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
adorable - the 2nd half is not nearly as great as the first half, almost like another book - but still enjoyable
Ken Foreman
Aug 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Written from the perspective of a dog, "A Dog's Purpose" is just as much about people as it is dogs. The hardships, the joys, the loves and the losses we experience all define our purpose and our growth to a greater purpose. Reading the repeated lives of a dog through Toby, Bailey, Elle, and Buddy, I laughed and cried. Bruce Cameron is a masterful author who has captured the complexity of people's relationships with their pets and our struggle to understand ourselves, to give our lives meaning.

A
Cian O hAnnrachainn
Feb 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
We're not letting your wife pick books for the book club ever again.

You know we like her as a person. She's great craic, really, and the fact that she's fond of dogs is more apparent than ever.

But, sweet Jaysus, we're not fifteen years old, son, and we're not all girls in this book club. A dog's purpose? It's to have a soft mouth and retrieve the feckin' birds without eating them.

Following a dog's...what, its soul? Through multiple incarnations where the beast experiences the good and bad that h
John McDonnell
Jul 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing

Three Words, July 6, 2010
By John C. McDonnell

This review is from: A Dog's Purpose (Hardcover)
I received a publisher's advance copy of W. Bruce Cameron's first novel, "A Dog's Purpose". In a word? Magnificent. OK, two words. Brilliant. Actually three. Soul.
Bruce Cameron has brought forth a magnificent, touching piece of a soul's journey through life in search of purpose and meaning. At times hilarious and yet other times heart breaking, Bruce brilliantly weaves a story of a dog and its ques
Booklady
Jul 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A Dog’s Purpose is one of the most fantastic, wonderful books I’ve ever read. Many have tried to write from the animal’s perspective, but Bruce Cameron has hit it head on. I’ve never experienced so many emotions while reading one book. I laughed, I cried, I cheered.

Put in the context of what is going on in my life right now, I was just waiting for A Dog’s Purpose. My son and his wife had to have their 15-year-old golden retriever put to sleep after a long and full life, a short time ago. Even t
jv poore
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very sweet book. Written from a dog's point of view, the story seemed more emotional. The gentleness and trust that I imagine all dogs have, is presented very well here. As such, the reader quickly falls in love with the dog, making the reader cry. Sometimes there were tears of joy, because something was just so darned right and sweet and happy. Sometimes there were tears of sadness. At all times, the story was compelling and well-written. Excellent quick read; particularly when you w ...more
Fiction Fanatics: June 2019 - A Dog's Purpose 29 23 Jun 17, 2019 01:34PM
Great Middle Grad...: A DOGS PURPOSE! 1 13 May 25, 2019 08:48PM
dog trainers near me 1 3 Nov 21, 2018 10:26PM
Summary 1 2 Nov 05, 2018 05:17PM
UCAS English 11 R...: August Reading Assignment 1 3 Aug 31, 2018 08:37PM

• The Art of Racing in the Rain
  • Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog
  • Racing in the Rain: My Life as a Dog
  • Condorito, #4 (Condorito, #4)
  • A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray (Scholastic Gold)
  • Amarse con los ojos abiertos: El desarrollo personal a través de la pareja (Biblioteca Jorge Bucay)
  • One Good Dog
  • Obras completas
  • Water for Elephants
  • Bridge to Terabithia: The Official Movie Companion
  • Because of Winn-Dixie
I’ve always loved dogs, which puts me in a unique category along with what, maybe two or three billion people?

What’s not to love about an animal who will sit in your living room all day long, waiting for you to get home, and even if you need to work late and then stop for a stress-relieving beverage on your way home, when you unlock that front door, is absolutely overjoyed to see you? How could yo

A Dog's Purpose (3 books)
  • A Dog's Journey (A Dog's Purpose, #2)
  • A Dog's Promise (A Dog's Purpose, #3)