Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > Books without quote marks for speech (for those who want to avoid them)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 60307 comments Mod
Good thread Marianne :)

message 5: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Phrynne | 7508 comments Mod
Great idea Marianne!

message 6: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5890 comments I've been meaning to do it for a while. We can all add as we come across them. :)

message 7: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 545 comments I never notice if they're there or not :)

message 8: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1036 comments This is a great idea Marianne - Basically, anything by David Vann I guess, it seems to be his thing.

message 9: by Zoey (new)

Zoey  (RozanneN) | 924 comments Dirt Music by Tim Winton

Great idea for a thread.

message 10: by Sally906, the traveller (new)

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

It blows me away how many authors like to do this!

message 13: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Leonie wrote: "The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan"

I gave that two stars Leonie and one of my reasons for not liking it was the lack of quotation marks.

message 14: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 2656 comments Phrynne wrote: "Leonie wrote: "The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan"

I gave that two stars Leonie and one of my reasons for not liking it was the lack of quotation m..."

Yes! I kept getting half way through a paragraph and realising that someone was speaking. So annoying!

message 15: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5890 comments Leonie wrote: "The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan"

None of his others, though, I checked my copies. I hope it's not going to be a trend...

message 16: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5890 comments Zoey wrote: "Dirt Music by Tim Winton

Great idea for a thread."

Also Eyrie
Cloudstreet
The Turning
Breath

message 17: by Ace (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) | 61 comments Marianne wrote: "Zoey wrote: "Dirt Music by Tim Winton

Also Eyrie
Cloudstreet
The Turning
Breath"

And his new one The Shepherd's Hut, but it was SO good I gave him 5 stars...

message 18: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Marianne wrote: "Zoey wrote: "Dirt Music by Tim Winton

Also Eyrie..."

Really?! I have that one here....

message 19: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5890 comments Well, Brenda, if that puts you off reading it, I've got my hand up over here.... see me waving?

message 20: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (new)

Lol!

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

LOL!!!

Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews (onewomansbbr) | 68 comments Oh thank you for this thread. I really sruggle without quotation marks.

Once Were Warriors and What Becomes of the Broken Hearted? by Alan Duff does not have speech marks. I made it through because I really wanted to read them though haha.

message 24: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 217 comments I haven't noticed this at all. So either I have been not been reading these authors, have been doing these authors on audiobook, or have just not noticed it.

If it was the last one, no doubt I will notice it now, and it will bug me in future. Thanks all! (joking :) )

Seriously, it is interesting that this is happening. Are authors deliberately wanting to make their readers work harder to enjoy their books?? Some kind of elitism? I wonder....

message 25: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5890 comments Kerri, Exactly!
One author made a little youtube clip about it saying she didn't like the way they looked on the page "like chicken scratch marks". As if we are reading books for how the printed page looks? Don't you want us to enjoy the content, rather than the appearance?
I just think it's the height of arrogance to make your reader work harder to enjoy your book, a sort of lazy slap in the face to your devoted reader.

message 26: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 217 comments I see that The Narrow Road to the Deep North has been named and shamed. This was a (very rare) DNF for me because I just could not get into it. Perhaps the lack of " " was the reason, without me noticing that it was the reason.

message 27: by Kerri_M (last edited Oct 01, 2018 01:48AM) (new)

Kerri_M | 217 comments Aaaarrrggghhh! The book I am reading has excess quotation marks. Around stuff that isn't speach, it isn't even thoughts!

"James signalled to the maitre d' who led them to a small table.

and then 3 lines later

""Unable to take his eyes from her, he watched as she opened the menu.

Please don't tell me this is another trend!

message 28: by Phrynne, I love to read:) (last edited Oct 01, 2018 02:40AM) (new)

No that is just exceedingly bad editing!

message 29: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oh Kerri, that is terrible! Phrynne is right - that should never have been published; it wasn't ready!!

message 30: by Kerri_M (new)

Kerri_M | 217 comments I wonder if I would even have noticed if it wasn't for our recent discussion!

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'm sure you would have!!

message 32: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1036 comments Kerri_M wrote: "Aaaarrrggghhh! The book I am reading has excess quotation marks. Around stuff that isn't speach, it isn't even thoughts!

"James signalled to the maitre d' who led them to a small table.

and th..."

That would drive me bonkers! What book is it? I need to avoid it with prejudice.

I loved The Shepherd's Hut so much I didn't even notice that. But I gave up early in Once Were Warriors because I just could not stand it anymore.

message 33: by Sally906, the traveller (last edited Oct 01, 2018 06:33PM) (new)

Sally906 | 6379 comments Mod
The only book I read to the end without punctuation was The Road by Cormac McCarthy - it so drew me in that I couldn't stop reading it. In my review of it at the time I wrote, in part, There is no punctuation – my pet hate – BUT as humans and the set parameters that life exists around breaks down – what is the use of punctuation? There will be no-on around to care.

message 34: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 156 comments Deborah wrote: "Kerri_M wrote: "Aaaarrrggghhh! The book I am reading has excess quotation marks. Around stuff that isn't speach, it isn't even thoughts!

"James signalled to the maitre d' who led them to a small ..."

Try the film instead Deborah (Once Were Warriors), it is excellent.

message 35: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 2656 comments Icewineanne wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Kerri_M wrote: "Aaaarrrggghhh! The book I am reading has excess quotation marks. Around stuff that isn't speach, it isn't even thoughts!

"James signalled to the maitre d' who led ..."

I'll second the film recommendation. I have to confess I haven't read the book - but now that I know it doesn't have speech marks, I definitely won't.

message 36: by Pamela (new)

Pamela King | 22 comments In the book I am currently writing. I have some lengthy speeches. I have found when I read simial passages myself I sometimes get confused (speech marks or not) where the dialogue stats and finished because there are several paragraphs involved. I have opted to italicise and indent these passages to make it clearer. I'd be interested what other members of this group think about that option.

message 37: by Sally906, the traveller (new)

Pamela wrote: "In the book I am currently writing. I have some lengthy speeches. I have found when I read simial passages myself I sometimes get confused (speech marks or not) where the dialogue stats and finishe..."

That would work I think - at least the reader will know it's speech not story :)

message 38: by Pamela (new)

Pamela King | 22 comments Sally906 wrote: "Pamela wrote: "In the book I am currently writing. I have some lengthy speeches. I have found when I read simial passages myself I sometimes get confused (speech marks or not) where the dialogue st..."
Thank you for that feedback

message 39: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I agree with Sally Pamela - it would work much better than having no speech marks at all.

message 40: by Pamela (new)

Pamela King | 22 comments Thank you Brenda

message 41: by Marianne (new)

Marianne (CloggieDownunder) | 5890 comments Yes, something to denote speech is better than nothing at all

message 42: by Ace (new)

Ace (AceOnRoam) | 61 comments I guess I would be looking for speech quote marks for actual speech and when a character is speaking to themselves or something to denote unspoken speech I expect to see italicized speech.

However I agree that it would be better than no marks at all.

message 43: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 5642 comments I'm one of those awful people who doesn't notice them missing. I read The Daughters of Mars without noticing until someone pointed it out.
I'm also currently reading The Shepherd's Hut and it was news to me that there are no quotation marks! I guess it depends on how easy it is to tell who's speaking and maybe good writers like Thomas Keneally and Tim Winton make that clear.

message 44: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You could be right Carolyn :)

message 45: by Sheree (new)

Sheree | Keeping Up With The Penguins (keepingupwiththepenguins) | 6 comments Just recently, I've read Narrow Road To The Deep North that doesn't use them, infuriating! I never understand why authors think this is a good idea? Also, The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared sometimes uses them, sometimes doesn't - luckily, it was all clear and straightforward enough that I still enjoyed the book immensely, but I couldn't find a rhyme or reason to their use/not...

message 46: by Sally906, the traveller (last edited Oct 03, 2018 09:09PM) (new)

And don't get me started on front cover title words all in lower case - including the authors name!!!!!

Yes, I am a paid up member of the grammar police :)

message 47: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

LOL!

message 48: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (LeonieRogers) | 2656 comments I have read a book with all the dialogue in italics, but it made my brain read them in a very dramatised tone...so I gave up halfway through. I must be a traditionalist.

I don't mind thinking in italics at all.

message 49: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I find it difficult to read dialogue in italics Leonie - a little bit is fine, but pages of it mean I end up skimming most. Which is a shame..

message 50: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (BtheBookAddict) | 3308 comments Sally906 wrote: "And don't get me started on front cover title words all in lower case - including the authors name!!!!!

Yes, I am a paid up member of the grammar police :)"

Me too, Sally. I approach everything with my red marking pen in hand, :)

« previous 1