Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Wrap-Up

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (last edited Sep 04, 2018 04:59AM) (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Another read-a-thon in the books! We hope you've enjoyed this week of frantic reading and fun games.

Here are a few questions to wrap everything up:

1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions?
3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts?
4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon?
5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons?
6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons?

You're welcome to go back and do any of the challenges/games you're interested in that you may have missed!

message 2: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
Finished 3 and started a fourth one. Read 689 pages (including converted audio hours)

My main goal was just to have fun, and I really enjoyed this read-a-thon, so yes. My biggest distraction was that I’m in the middle of a move, and had lot of decluttering and cleaning to do to prepare the old apartment for sale. To top it off, work was also really busy.

Yes, it was great fun! My favourite part was the team challenge, so nice to see all the teams having so much fun, and killing the challenge 

The Life Before Us

5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons?
Not really, thanks to the mods for all the great work that went into this!

For sure!

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
8 books, 1 Short Story, 1 Poem, 1/2 of 2 more books: 2357 Pages
I did meet my goals that I set at the beginning of the read-a-thon.
I did have fun. I loved the Music/Book themed game, the Individual Bingo, and I loved Emily's spreadsheet!
Death in the Andes by Mario Vargas Llosa
No suggestions! This group does a great read-a-thon.
Absolutely!

message 4: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 04, 2018 06:30AM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8324 comments Mod
- Only 2 books 😭 I don't know my page count, but it's definitely under 1000.

- No, and I'm quite bummed about it. I was sick on the first day with a stomach bug, and I couldn't really read or do much more than nap for the whole first weekend, and it really threw me off. School was also very busy all week.

- I was in charge of our group's spreadsheet, and I had fun updating it and celebrating everyone else's wins with them.

- A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan... once I got used to the style and structure of the book, it totally held my interest.

- I loved the games this time around. They were easy and fun. I also really liked the Miles of Pages thread! I didn't like the Read-A-Thon being so long... I think two full weekends is a lot to handle, and I noticed my group definitely get quieter as the week went on. I did like that the mods gave us a second board to play though... it kept us in the game much longer than if we had only had the one.

- Absolutely! Hopefully they are more successful for me haha!

message 5: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8324 comments Mod
Tammy wrote: "1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
8 books, 1 Short Story, 1 Poem, 1/2 of 2 more books: 2357 Pages
2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractio..."

Tammy, I love that you loved my spreadsheet! I feel like that was my biggest win of the whole Read-A-Thon!

message 6: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Sep 04, 2018 07:38AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
A poem, a short story, 6 picture books, a children's classic, 2 mid grade, a YA novel, a graphic novel, a pretty hefty non fiction and half of my last adult fiction book. Almost 1900 pages!

Far exceeded them. I didn't think I would read that much at all! And all or most of the books fit into my ATY challenges :-)
I didn't let too much distract me until the end of this weekend, just a few end of the summer get togethers that I chose to actually participate in instead of reading in a corner.

Lots of fun this time! I enjoyed the team discussions and seeing everyones progress and what they were reading. I added a few books to my TBR. My favorite games and threads were the emoji books, and following miles of pages. I also enjoyed getting my daughters involved in "helping" me with the read-a -thon.

Hmmm....I really Loved Persepolis: The Story of a ChildhoodPersepolis, and most of Everything, Everything, but I started reading Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine for the last book of the challenge and even though I haven't finished it yet its REALLY good!
For the children books I read with the girls, my favorite was Island: A Story of the Galápagos. The pictures were beautiful and we have been learning a lot about the Galapagos Islands over the past few weeks.

None. I think the mods out did themselves this time. It was so creative 😊. I actually liked having the extra weekend to read, but I can see how it became difficult with the holiday and back to school time of year. I think it was impressive how fast the teams killed the first boards and how quickly the mods came up with second boards to keep us all working together. We read A LOT guys !!!!

Of Course!

message 7: by Johanne (last edited Sep 04, 2018 08:05AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1668 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
I read 4 books (one was a graphic novel, and the others were light reads), I continued reading another couple that had less than a 100 pages left, and a bunch of picture books.
I read 1300 pages and listened to 7 hours of audiobooks.

This is my first read-a-thon, so I didn´t really set any goals other than to have fun and focus as much on reading as possible. I had a really busy week, so work, children and everyday life were my biggest distractions. But I read a lot more than I thought.

I loved being part of the team challenge. I liked the guessing games, the title emoji was my favourite :) And Miles of pages.

Here by Richard McGuire and Rejsen til SELU by Line Kyed Knudsen

Not really, it was great.

YES!

message 8: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
I finished 4 books with a total of 1.480 pages. I'm also halfway through Burial Rites, which is amazing so far.

Yes, absolutely. It's quite busy at work at the moment, so I didn't expect to get this much reading done. Haven't been able to read much towards the end of the read-a-thon, due to an important deadline coming up, but other than that, it went great!

So much fun!! I loved the Individual Bingo, and of course the group challenge. Just reading, chatting with people - I had a great time.

The book I'm reading right now, Burial Rites. I haven't finished it yet, but will probably do so later tonight.

None - this was so much fun. Thanks a lot to all of the mods putting the read-a-thon together for us. I can tell how much hard work went into organizing the games and such!! THANK YOU FOR THAT!!!

Absolutely! Can't wait! :)

message 9: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? 2 books, 3 graphic novels, 3 picture books and 1 poem, making a total of 1471 pages.

2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? My only goal was read and have fun, so yes :) My biggest distraction was work and chores.

3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? Yes, I did!!! And my favorite part was like always the games. I was delighted to see so many new games . I enjoyed especially the emojis and the synomyms/antonyms.

4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon? I enjoyed Renegades very much. I didn't like the end, but the rest was great :)

5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons? I think everything was great! Regarding the tasks I would like to make an observation and it's about the audiobooks. There were at least 2 task for board related to listen hours of audiobook, but what if in a group, their members don't listen audiobooks or at the contrary, a reading task for a group where everyone is exclusively listening books. Maybe a task that combine both (listening and reading) could be better or making equivalences between them... I am just thinking out loud :) The Read-a-thon was brilliant!, thank you very much for your hard and awesome work.

6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons? Yes! :)

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Emily wrote: "Tammy, I love that you loved my spreadsheet! I feel like that was my biggest win of the whole Read-A-Thon! ..."

Seriously, Emily, nobody on team 4 could deny your dedication to the group. You were a huge key to our success and a big part of the fun! Thank you!

I forgot to add my distraction: If you are doing a read-a-thon I suggest you hold off on reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing until the last day of the challenge. If you don't you might start emptying closets and tidying your house at a furious pace. I know I did. By the end of the read-a-thon I was covered in dust bunnies!

message 11: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Erin wrote: "and I did that with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I didn't like it, but it's done now.."

I read that recently for the Nordic noir PS prompt as well. Glad it's over and I doubt I will re-visit that genre if this is a good representative of it.

message 12: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
I finished seven books - way more than I'd expected. All up around 1900 pages.

I exceeded them! My biggest distractions were being sick for a couple of days, and all of the decluttering talk in Group 4, which led me to spending a good chunk of my Sunday clearing out toys. 🤣

I did. I loved our team - that was my favourite part.

Columbine and The Marvelous Land of Oz.

5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time?
No suggestions - the mods (and Emily in Group 4!) did a wonderful job of everything.

What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons?
The team stuff is great. Maybe just more boards!

YES! 😀

message 13: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? Finished 3 books and 1037 pages.

2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? Not quite since my goal was 4 books but I was so irritated with the book I was reading that I had to put it down with 80 pages left.

3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? Definitely had fun! I loved the miles of pages. Such a creative idea and I added a couple of books for my Around the World challenge.

4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon? Definitely The Color Purple

5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons? Nothing I can think of. Keep up the great work, mods!

6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons? Absolutely!

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2484 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
6 books (two were very short) and 1 short story, 5 hours of audio

I met my main goal of finishing my two larger books.

Yes, I enjoyed very much. It's so motivating. I liked Bingo and all the games.

The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne

No. Everything was great. Thank you, mods!

Yes.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2820 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read?
Three books completed, and I was about 2/3 of the way through the fourth. I read a total of 1482 pages for the week.

Technically I accomplished my goals of finishing the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, but I would have loved to have finished those a bit quicker and get more reading done throughout the week.

I purposely did not vote for this week to have the read-a-thon because I expected it to be busy, but I underestimated how much work I would actually have. I had a major project for my boss that took up the majority of the first weekend, and an event at work Tuesday night. I had purposely set aside last weekend to read Dreams of Gods & Monsters, and because I had less time than I expected, I ended up feeling frustrated with myself for the book taking longer than I wanted.

I really liked the games this time around! I especially liked the Emoji one since that was one we'd never had before, and it was a lot of fun. The Miles of Pages was an interesting idea too, and I wish I'd had the time during the week to pay more attention to it. I also liked the team challenge this time since it involved real teamwork to accomplish, and I loved the overall supportive/positive atmosphere of my team.

Days of Blood & Starlight

Maybe a tiny bit more clarity at the beginning of the Bingo challenges when it comes to overlapping squares. I noticed a lot of confusion about what could be overlapped, and it led to quite a few people asking the same questions over and over. I think the mods did a great job of clarifying everything, and it quickly made sense to everyone, but it might be helpful to have that information from the start. On the other hand, it might be hard to predict what will be unclear to other people. I know when I write something myself, it makes perfect sense to me, but not necessarily to others.

Yes, but hopefully I'll have more time to devote to it next time.

message 16: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Sep 04, 2018 07:20PM) (new)

Rachelnyc wrote: "Erin wrote: "and I did that with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I didn't like it, but it's done now.."

I read that recently for the Nordic noir PS prompt as well. Glad it's over and I doubt I wi..."

I was going to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo also but then I started avoiding it because I keep hearing everyone say they didn't like it.

For the Nordic prompts in the challenges lately I've been using the Nina Borg series, I loved The Boy in the Suitcase, so I used Invisible Murder and I enjoyed that one as well. I have the next,Death of a Nightingale set up somewhere on a list and I just noticed that there is a 4th in the series. They're fun, quick reads.

Tammy wrote: "I forgot to add my distraction: If you are doing a read-a-thon I suggest you hold off on reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing until the last day of the challenge. If you don't you might start emptying closets and tidying your house at a furious pace. I know I did. By the end of the read-a-thon I was covered in dust bunnies! "

haha Tammy, I noticed that! It made me seriously want to get up and start throwing out all the stuff Ive been meaning to throw out. Hopefully 'll be able to start that soon, I might just read the book while I'm waiting lol.

message 17: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Tracy wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "Erin wrote: "and I did that with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I didn't like it, but it's done now.."

I read that recently for the Nordic noir PS prompt as well. Glad it's ove..."

The story was good but I was often distracted by trying to figure out the main character. I read several reviews where people think she's a hero and a badass but I find her extremely disturbing and I kept wondering what the author had in mind with her.

It would be an interesting book for the male author/female protagonist prompt if that makes it onto the list but I can't recommend the book.

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2787 comments I read all of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books and liked all of them! And, I don’t normally read thrillers. What I found “distracting” in the original trilogy was how they were CONSTANTLY eating sandwiches and drinking coffee! My husband and I were always joking about it since we were both reading them at the same time.

message 19: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Pam wrote: "I read all of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books and liked all of them! And, I don’t normally read thrillers. What I found “distracting” in the original trilogy was how they were CONSTANTLY eati..."

I feel like I read a review somewhere that mentioned this same thing...that in Scandinavian literature there is always a lot of coffee and sandwiches. I totally understand the coffee lol, I'm just not really a sandwich kind of girl

message 20: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2787 comments Tracy wrote: "Pam wrote: "I read all of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books and liked all of them! And, I don’t normally read thrillers. What I found “distracting” in the original trilogy was how they were CON..."

There is a book by Adam Roberts titled The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo, which I have got to read!

message 21: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2787 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? 5 books and 1000+ pages
2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? Yes. I wanted to read at least 3 books and finish the ATY challenge. No real distractions since my husband was on travel Mon-Fri.
3. Did you have fun? Absolutely!
What were your favorite parts? Everything. I liked waking up and playing the day's game. Those were fun!
4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon? Annabel by Kathleen Winter - I've been planning on reading it for 2 years, so it was good to finally read it!
5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? Nope! What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons? ??
6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons? Yes! Thanks mods - you all are great!

message 22: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Pam wrote: "1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? 5 books and 1000+ pages
2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? Yes. I wanted to read at least 3 book..."

Ha ha ha, yes I remember laughing about all of the coffee they drank!

I recently added Annabel to my TBR. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

message 23: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1672 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? 4 books 920 pages
2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? yes I met my reading goals because I wanted to read 4 books during the week. My distractions were watching Netflix with my daughter and back to school prep and shopping.
3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? I had a lot of fun. I think this was the best read a thon yet. The games were super awesome this time. The emoji game was really cute.
4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon? Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine and The Last Town
5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons? I thought it was pretty great and I'm less than creative so I don't have any suggestions.
6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons? Definitely!

message 24: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Sep 04, 2018 10:05PM) (new)

Pam wrote: "There is a book by Adam Roberts titled The Dragon with the Girl Tattoo, which I have got to read!
"

someone read this for the challenge :-)

message 25: by Johanne (last edited Sep 05, 2018 02:23AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1668 comments Pam wrote: "I read all of the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo books and liked all of them! And, I don’t normally read thrillers. What I found “distracting” in the original trilogy was how they were CONSTANTLY eati..."

This is really funny, I´m Scandinavian (Danish) and I don´t recall thinking anything of that when I read the original trilogy (though it´s quite some time ago). A coffeebreak, often with something edible, is a culturally understood way to signal time for a break and focus on conversation. So it´s more than just coffee and sandwiches, it´s a social setting. The Swedes even have an untranslateable word for this: "Fika". https://sweden.se/culture-traditions/...
We drink a lot of coffee.

Edit: It just shows how we perceive things differently, from our cultural perspective. I find the concept of "dating" really weird and stilted, for example. In Danmark you don´t ask people to "go on a date". You ask someone if they´d like to "go for a coffee" (there it is again) or do something or other, and spend time together in a more natural transition (to me), that might or might not, end up with you being "an item".
Edit to the edit: My only experience with the dating phenomena is through North American books and movies, it may not play out like that in real life.
Edit to the edit to the edit: I´m now going to refill my coffee cup ;)

Also I like the Millenium trilogy (haven´t read the latest).

And on a side note: The author of The Boy in the Suitcase, Lene Kaaberbøl, is more known in Denmark for her YA and children´s fantasy books. I haven´t read her crime novels, but I really like her fantasy books. Wildfire and The Shamer's Daughter are the first in two of her series.

message 26: by Johanne (last edited Sep 05, 2018 02:28AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1668 comments Hahaha - I just found this article. Have a look at the top 6 most coffee drinking nations.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...

message 27: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2787 comments Johanne - Thanks for the cultural explanation! I think coffee is still popular in the US at breakfast but I don’t see many people drinking it all day long. Although, I do have 3 Starbucks which are walking distance from my house and there is always a line at the drive-through! In the South and Southwest, iced tea is very popular, even for breakfast.

In the continuation of the Millennium series, The Girl in the Spider’s Web by David Lagercrantz, there was much less mention of coffee and sandwiches! I liked that book, also.

message 28: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Sep 05, 2018 06:09AM) (new)

Pam wrote: "Johanne - Thanks for the cultural explanation! I think coffee is still popular in the US at breakfast but I don’t see many people drinking it all day long. Although, I do have 3 Starbucks which are..."

I'm sitting here in the US drinking coffee all day long, but interestingly enough I just found out that we have Scananavian in our genes, so maybe that explains it, lol. We had NO idea. My uncle just had his testing done and was 66% Scandinavian . My middle brother was a much smaller percentage. We were all talking the other night about doing our swabs and comparing them to see what our breakdowns look like between family members.

Johanne, your post was really interesting :-)

Edit : just looked at the article and had to laugh because almost my entire genetic breakdown makes the cut: Scandinavian, Bosnia/Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovania, Greek, Germany... or maybe its just all those years of long shifts as a nurse :p

message 29: by Johanne (last edited Sep 05, 2018 06:42AM) (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1668 comments Tracy wrote: "Pam wrote: "Johanne - Thanks for the cultural explanation! I think coffee is still popular in the US at breakfast but I don’t see many people drinking it all day long. Although, I do have 3 Starbuc..."

Maybe there is a coffee-drinking gene?
Or it could be the nurse shifts :) (I´m a librarian so that´s not my reason). We have a thing we call "jordemoderkaffe" Which means "midwife-coffee" and is a word used for really strong coffee that will keep you awake...

message 30: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Interesting discussion! I have several Danish friends and not to stereotype but I do find them to be some of the most genuine and loyal people I know. I definitely understand the cultural aspect but it did seem excessive in the books, to me at least.

Oh and I don't think what is shown in American movies and TV really reflects real life when it comes to dating. I don't remember anyone ever asking me to "go out on a date", it is always, "do you want to grab coffee/dinner/drinks/whatever. ;)

message 31: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1668 comments Rachelnyc wrote: "Interesting discussion! I have several Danish friends and not to stereotype but I do find them to be some of the most genuine and loyal people I know. I definitely understand the cultural aspect bu..."

Yeah, I´m not surprised real life isn´t like pop culture representations, but it´s hard to know what has grounds in real life and what hasn´t :) (But the prom date thing is real?)
The coffee drinking might be excessive in the Millenium series, but I don´t recall. Also I probably read them 10 years ago...

message 32: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Johanne wrote: "Rachelnyc wrote: "Interesting discussion! I have several Danish friends and not to stereotype but I do find them to be some of the most genuine and loyal people I know. I definitely understand the ..."

Yes, Johanne, the prom date thing is real unless you're referring to Carrie, in which case, that hardly ever happens! ;)

message 33: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1668 comments Haha, oh no, not referring to Carrie! :)

message 34: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 933 comments I have loved this discussion of coffee addiction. :) I have no Scandinavian genes as far as I know (although I am a natural blonde), but my daddy taught me to drink my coffee strong and black and I drink coffee all day. I would say it is my most ingrained habit, aside from reading.

I am laughing about the Carrie reference. I think the prom today might be more in line with Mean Girls.

message 35: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1095 comments 1. How many books did you finish? How many pages did you read? 3 books and 857 pages.
2. Did you meet your reading goals? What were your biggest distractions? Didn't really set a goal just wanted to get some reading done so was successful. Life anxiety got in my way making it hard to focus.
3. Did you have fun? What were your favorite parts? I have enjoyed an the read-a-thons I have done with this group. There is something nice about the group camaraderie. I enjoy the games a lot and it is always nice to get some books read.
4. What was your favorite read of the read-a-thon? The Lies We Told
5. Do you have any suggestions for how to make the read-a-thon better for next time? What would you like to see more of in future read-a-thons? I honestly can't think of anything. The mods do an amazing job.
6. Do you plan to participate in future group read-a-thons? I sure do.

message 36: by Sara (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 933 comments 1. How many books did you finish? 4How many pages did you read?1490
I didn't really set any goals but I felt completing four books was quite good for me. I got unexpected guests over the labor day weekend that pretty much wiped out Sunday and Monday.

I did. I really enjoyed the games and seeing what others were doing

Testament of Youth - an amazing read.

This was my first participation and I thought the Mods and our team leader deserved a huge kudo for all the variety they put into the event. I can't think of anything that would have made it more fun.

I would like to if real life allows.