Start by marking “The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shamer's Daughter (The Shamer Chronicles, #1)

The Shamer's Daughter

(The Shamer Chronicles #1)

Dina has unwillingly inherited her mother's gift: the ability to elicit shamed confessions simply by looking into someone's eyes. To Dina, however, these powers are not a gift but a curse. Surrounded by fear and hostility, she longs for simple friendship.

But when her mother is called to Dunark Castle to uncover the truth about a bloody triple murder, Dina must come to term
Published October 3rd 2006 by Henry Holt and Co. BYR Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Shamer's Daughter, please sign up.
The Little Viking Reader This is a middle grade fantasy novel, but as an adult I still enjoyed it very much!

Miranda Reads
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
description

But no. Not me. Not the Shamer's daughter.
In Dina's world, there are Shamers. She is one of them, and so is her mother.

Just by looking you in the eyes, a Shamer has the power to elicit dark confessions and make you feel crippling guilt. (Though Dina, aged 11, must also use words rather than just her eyes (until her powers grow)).

Shamers are often outcasts of society - after all, who wants to be friends with someone who is constantly making you feel guilty??

Dina's mother is called awa
Katrine B.
This was my first real fantasy book. I read it when I was about 9 or 10 and in the beginning I made my mother read it out loud - one chapter each night.
One day I got really excited about it, but then the chapter ended and my mother told me to go to sleep.

When I couldn't sleep because I kept thinking about the next chapter and what might happen, I ran downstairs, "stole" the book and finished it in one night. I got so caught up I forgot everything about time, school the next day - even my own ex
C.G. Drews
It wasn't the book cover that caught my attention--not the title, not the promising thinness of the book, or the blurb on the back. It was the Author's Note.

I opened the book and began to read what the author had written about her book. The story behind her novel fascinated me--how she lived in Denmark, translated her own books to English, lived across the harbour from the royal residency and waved to the queen every morning. But I also love what she said about The Look.

"I think we learn the p
K
May 07, 2013 rated it it was ok
I actually didn't dislike this book as much as the rating would imply; The Shamer's Daughter is a quick, fun read and the idea of the "Shamer", while not totally revolutionary, is fresh and engaging. But while The Shamer's Daughter is an enjoyable read, it suffers from a bland heroine and a shade of the "but I'm not like other girls" brand of sexism that I've come to loathe in middle grade and young adult fiction.

Dina Tonnerre is the daughter of the Shamer, a woman who can look into the eyes of
Nina ✿ Looseleaf Reviews ✿
This review also appears on:

What a cool concept! The Shamer's Daughter follows eleven-year-old Dina, who is the daughter of something called a Shamer. Shamers' powers, which are inherited genetically, allow the Shamer to look anyone in the eye and force them to relive all of their shameful memories and confess their bad deeds.

The Shamer's gift is rare and the few around, like Dina's mother, are called on to settle legal disputes. This turns south when she is called to prove a man guilty in the
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
Rating: 5 stars

Plot: 5
Characters: 4.5
Writing style: 4.5

Lene Kaaberbøl's "The Shamer Chronicles" was one of my favourite childhood series!
Thankfully it's as good as I remember. I was afraid that it wouldn't live up to my nostalgic memories of it.
"The Shamer's Daughter" is a story about a young girl Dina, who inherited a gift of "shaming" from her mother. Shamer's powers allow the Shamer too look into someone's eyes forcing them to relive all their shameful memories and making them incapable of
Kelsey
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young fantasy readers, adults who don't mind reading children's books
Recommended to Kelsey by: Goodreads
--Just a caution: this review has a couple of less-than-polite words in it. If you don't want to see them, you probably shouldn't read this... and you probably shouldn't read The Shamer's Daughter, either.--

I wasn't sure about The Shamer's Daughter when I decided to purchase it (something I hardly ever do without reading the book first), but it sounded interesting and GR seemed to think I would like it, so I took a chance, and I'm glad I did.

The things I liked:

1) The concept of "Shamer's Eyes."
Anna
For dansk anmeldelse, følg link http://happenstancie.blogspot.dk/2012...
Third time read: aug 2012
Fourth time read: 2. September - 9th of September
Robin
How did this book get past me when it was first published? The premise is described in the trailer for the novel: Dina is the daughter of the Village Shamer, a woman who can read the truth in people through looking at their eyes. Quite literally, when you are looking into her eyes, you are rendered incapable of lying, and she can see how you really think, feel, and behave, even in your most private moments. This makes her very useful for law enforcement, obviously, but also tremendously unpopula ...more
Amie's Book Reviews
"Birches is not a big Town, but we do have a smithy, an inn, and the mill ... not to mention eleven different houses and farms of varying sizes... In almost all the houses were families, and almost all of the families had children, some as many as eight or ten. You would think, with so many to choose from, that it would be possible for me to find a friend or two, or at least some playmates. But no. Not me. Not the Shamer's daughter. Two years ago I could still sometimes play with Sasia from the ...more
Maria Estrada
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing! I enjoyed the depiction of magical realism, magic, and dragons. The unique use of dragons in the story got me hooked. Dina as a strong protagonist is a true joy, and the world Kaaberbøl has created was masterfully crafted. I thoroughly enjoyed going on this journey with Dina (and Nico), and I can't wait to read the rest of the series. It has been a long time, since I have enjoyed binge reading a book and look forward to getting the rest of Kaaberbøl’s books. I am passing t ...more
Trish
Jan 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Sarah picked this book out and I decided to read it since she didn't. I knew I could read it in less than a day and then tell her if it was worth it or not. Now I know that she would most likely enjoy it. I'm glad that here is a new series for her to read... anything to get her head out of Eragon yet again.

What I like about the book is how the reader grows with the characters. In the beginning, there's so much mystery and childlike innocence about the world and not knowing what is going on. As t
Amie's Book Reviews
An excellent story for readers of all ages. The idea of a "Shamer" is unique and as such this book is fascinating and can even be viewed as a study of humanity.
I was entranced by the tale and can't wait to read the next book in the series.
5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Julie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
I was very surprised by how good this book was, I expected kind of cheesy children fantasy but it seriously delivered a first class medieval fantasy, with a pretty unique plot and good characters.
It was easy to read and was surprisingly entertaining throughout the entire book. I am very excited to read the last three books in the series.
Anna 'Bookbuyer'
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, to-sort
Therese
You know it's a good weekend when you get to reread one of your all time favorite books, and in danish! Going into this I was afraid my danish would be rusty, but there was no problem. I'm actually more nervous to read the other books in the series in nynorsk (a type of norwegian), which is the language I have the two last books in.

This book, and this series in general, is amazing. I never get tired of it, and I always find myself coming back to it. It's fantasy and it has dragons, what more cou
Frederikke
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just like any other fantasy loving danish girl, have I read this book when I was younger and loved the story like almost no other book. I guess I was around the protagonist's age (Dina) when I read it the first time (9 years old, I think) and just like with the Harry Potter series, Dina have grown up with me.

Again like Harry Potter, I feel like you never can get too old to read The Shamer's daughter. Of course it may seem weird to be listening to a 9-years old girl, but it's just like re-reading
Lauretta Drake
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This would be the very first book that I considered one of my all time favourites. It was the title that caught my attention, 'The Shamer's Daughter'. The very concept of a shamer, a person with the ability to make someone feel ashamed of their wrongdoings with only a look, was appealing to me. I admit, I derived a ton of satisfaction whenever someone was brought to tears from that look. Opening the book with such a scene was brilliant.
The plot line was simple, not an epic as one would expect w
Jill
Dec 25, 2008 rated it liked it
This is the first in an entertaining fantasy series. The premise of the book includes a woman, called the Shamer, and her daughter, who shares her unusual ability. Their ability is powerful and makes many people unwilling or unable to befriend them. Their power is that they can see into a person's conscience just by looking into their eyes. They cause people to feel guilt for thier wrongs and can tell if someone is lying or being honest. Because almost everyone has something in their past that t ...more
Belinda
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4,75 stars - English hardcover - I have Dyslexia -
Found a note in a notebook about this novel : Dina has a gift. Like her mother, a gift she does not want. Was in the story in a second and could not put the book down until it was finished. Go Dina! 🦋🍀🌸🌼
SJH (A Dream of Books)
'The Shamer's Daughter' is the first in a middle-grade fantasy series called The Shamer Chronicles. Although aimed at a slightly younger audience, I found the book really enjoyable and I think there is a lot in it to appeal to older readers too. The series is written by a Danish author who is also responsible for translating it into English. Although originally published in 2002, I have to admit that I hadn't heard of the series before, so it's great that Pushkin Press are republishing all four ...more
Leah
YA fantasy set in a medieval-esque world where Shamer's can read people's minds to uncover any shame and discover their truths and lies. The protagonist, Dina, is an 11-year-old girl, the Shamer's daughter, described as lacking prettiness who has no friends as a result of her abilities, even though she's only just coming into her gift.

Dina used her brains and bravery on the quest, and she wasn't afraid to trust her instincts. No romance or love triangle in the future, but that could change depen
rosamund
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
11-year-old Dina has the power to see a person's darkest secrets, and make them aware of their guilt and shame. Because of this, other children bully her and adults avoid her. Her life is brought into peril when she and her mother are called to cross-examine a man and determine whether he is guilty of murder. This pacy novel is gripping and readable, and full of details that ground it in real life -- the claustrophobia of a walled town, the cold of a prison cell, the feeling of riding side-saddl ...more
Jacqueline Allan
I absolutely loved this book. The way it was written made everything come to light!! Characterisation was wonderful, I felt like I knew them all. Very unusual story but one I look forward to reading the next instalment of.
Lise
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! (read a little, mostly read to me by Ella<3)
Emma Yoloswag
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy fans, especially younger ones
You know sometimes you decide to reread a book you loved as a child, and you prepare yourself for disappointment, because no way it can be as great as the first time? And then it doesn't happen, because it's still absolutely amazing.

That's what happened to me with this book. I first read it when I was still in primary school, and though I can't accurately remember my opinion of the later books in the series (I'll know soon, though, as I'm rereading them too), I'm positive that I found this book
Bookphenomena (Micky)
THE SHAMER’S DAUGHTER leans more towards middle grade reading than YA but it is an engaging story with an unusual special-power characteristic that I’ve not come across before in fantasy literature.

Dina was the daughter of a shamer and in this fantastical kingdom, shamers were used to get a confession for heinous crimes. So while people were frightened of shamers, they were also respected from a distance. Dina had inherited her mother’s gift.

What started off as 11 year old Dina making sense of h
Natalie
I remember reading this when I was in school. I still haven't decided if I actually like it or not. It's got some great elements, but I don't love it and I kind of wanted it to be over. I can't remember if I've read the other stories in this series, or not, and I haven't decided if I will read them.

Dina's mother is a Shamer. Shamer's can look in someone's eye and show their guilt. This makes them important, but uncomfortable to be around. Dina has inherited this gift and hates it.

Dina and her
Kater Cheek
Apr 14, 2011 rated it liked it
My middle-grade daughter really loved this series and told me I had to read it. Let me start off by saying that if I had read this when I were in junior high, I would have adored it. It has everything I loved back then: a magical young girl protagonist, evil knights, cute boys, and dragons. It takes place in a familiar McFantasyland setting, the kind of place I wanted to live when I was younger.

These, of course, are all the reasons that I didn't like it that much reading it as an adult. It's not
Kirsten
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
I would definitely recommend this one to the Tamora Pierce set. It's a solid fantasy with an intriguing premise: Dina, like her mother, has the power to Shame people with her eyes. When she makes eye contact with others, they become unable to hide their shameful secrets, whether small or large. Because of this power, Dina's mother is often called to villages and cities to confirm people's innocence or guilt. It's an important role, but all Dina really wants is to be able to have friends and look ...more

• Krystalhjertet (Historien om Mira, #3)
  • The Devil's Apprentice (The Great Devil War, #1)
  • Erik Menneskesøn (Erik Menneskesøn #1)
  • Brædder til Draculas kiste (Freddy-serien #2)
  • Gravbøygen våkner (Alvetegnet, #1)
  • Geminiderne (Spektrum, #2)
  • Ravnenes hvisken (Ravnenes hvisken, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
Jeg kom til verden på Rigshospitalet i København d. 24.3.1960. Overlægen var i kjole og hvidt - han var blevet afbrudt midt i en gallamiddag - men min søster siger, at det er da ikke noget, hendes fødselslæge var i islandsk nationaldragt. Nogen vil mene at det således allerede fra starten var klart at jeg var et ganske særligt barn. Andre vil sikkert påstå at min mor bare var god til at skabe plud ...more

The Shamer Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Shamer's Signet (The Shamer Chronicles, #2)
  • The Serpent Gift (The Shamer Chronicles, #3)
  • The Shamer's War (The Shamer Chronicles, #4)