The Bibliophiles discussion

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
Book of the Month > September BOTM: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Hello everyone! So the September BOTM has been chosen and our winner is Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine! This seems like it will be a fun little read!

Also, I wanted to ask the group something. When I went to the polls section of the group, it showed me two polls for this month. Same choices and everything. on one our BOTM was tied with A Dirty Job and on the other it had 14 votes while A Dirty Job had 4, which is why Eleanor won. But what I'm trying to find out is why there are two polls? The same thing happened last month, and thanks to someone's message, I caught it early and deleted the duplicate but I forgot to check this time. So, when I create a poll, what does it look like on your end? Do you get an automated message that is not from me or just a notification that it is up? Does it take you to the group's homepage where the poll is supposed to be or a different area in the group? I know I am the one who is supposed to know these things but I have yet to figure out the issue. I will do some more research and update you on what I find but, in the meantime, any feedback from you all will be greatly appreciated!

message 2: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 154 comments Happy reading, eveeyone!😁

message 3: by Ruby (new) - added it

Ruby | 10 comments I saw two polls so I voted on both, just in case. It's the first time I see two polls.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim (kimkienzle) Looking forward to the discussion of Eleanor Oliphant!

Don’t remember if I saw one or two polls...

message 5: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 154 comments I also saw two polls. Weird.

Whitney (wbandel) Last time there was a message in my inbox for both polls, this month just one message in my inbox. I saw two polls this month and last month. This time it looks like they posted within a minute of each other. I think in the past it’s usually an email in my inbox with a link to the poll. I don’t know if there was a link in the email this time so I went to the poll page and voted there.

Whitney (wbandel) Just checked and it’s usually an email without a specific link. But yeah this month it was just one email, but I don’t know which poll world have generated it. I wonder if other groups are also having issues with polls loading.

message 8: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy (queenamy72) I only noticed one poll.

Agnese | 12 comments I also saw only one poll.

message 10: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Did everyone who saw both polls see them on the Group's homepage? Whenever I used to create a poll, it would give me the option to send out a message with the link as I completed the poll. However, when the groups numbers increased so much, every time I tried to send out the link to everyone in the group, my computer would freeze and give me an error message. So I didn't do that this month and just sent out a message to the whole group after I had completed the poll, if that makes sense. I just have no idea whats going on lol!

Whitney (wbandel) I only saw evidence of both polls once I went to the "polls" link in the top right navigation of the group's homepage. They were listed as "poll # 1 featured" and "poll #2 featured".

I wonder since we have so many members if the form process for making polls times out or something when having to load (and in this case loaded twice causing two polls). Your idea of emailing separately seems like a good idea to cut down errors. Perhaps we should just keep an eye on it right after you post the poll/send an email to see if it happens again, but it does seem more like a fluke.

message 12: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Whitney wrote: "I only saw evidence of both polls once I went to the "polls" link in the top right navigation of the group's homepage. They were listed as "poll # 1 featured" and "poll #2 featured".

I wonder sinc..."

I agree and this is the same thing I have been thinking. I have searched and haven't been able to find a solution so I think for the time being I will just put up the poll, send out the message separately and then go back and delete the duplicate poll. As of now, that's the only work around I can find.

Whitney (wbandel) Read the first few chapters last night. I feel like I’m reading a novel about Amelia Bedelia. The misunderstandings are so bizarre and unreal. It’ll be interesting to see how the story plays out.

message 14: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Whitney wrote: "Read the first few chapters last night. I feel like I’m reading a novel about Amelia Bedelia. The misunderstandings are so bizarre and unreal. It’ll be interesting to see how the story plays out."

Agreed lol. I'm listening to the audio book and I think it's helping me understand the main character a little more. The narrator does a good job of using the tone of of Eleanor's thoughts to make you understand her reasoning and nonchalance as well as her pretty deep misunderstandings of social norms and conversations. That being said, it does make me say 'hmm..' occasionally

Kayleigh Kehoe (welshbookfairy) | 15 comments I literally loved Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine! Easily one of my favourite reads of this year. I found Eleanor Oliphant unconventionally charming and relatable. Gail Honeyman is an absolute asset to the literary world - and my bookshelf!

I've written a full review - with no spoilers - if anybody is interested in it. I would also love to hear everybody else's opinion on the book! There is nothing quite like somebody else's unique perspective to help you refresh your own perceptions.

Happy reading everyone.

Whitney (wbandel) Wow I just finished. Once I got hooked I couldn’t put it down. I felt like Raymond, at first perplexed and confused, and then really caring about and rooting for Eleanor. I just wish the last third didn’t move so quickly, I’d have liked to see more of what happens play out slower.

Kayleigh, I read your review, and I think you put it perfectly. :) What a great read.

message 17: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim (kimkienzle) I really enjoyed Eleanor Oliphant. I found myself rooting for her character, enjoying her perspective on life and believing that people, in general, need to be more understanding of those who think differently than we do! I enjoyed the author’s writing and would look for another book by her.

Kayleigh Kehoe (welshbookfairy) | 15 comments Whitney wrote: "Wow I just finished. Once I got hooked I couldn’t put it down. I felt like Raymond, at first perplexed and confused, and then really caring about and rooting for Eleanor. I just wish the last third..."

Thank you so much, Whitney, I really appreciate you saying that. I know what you mean about the last third moving quickly! I'm pretty sure I could have stayed in that book with Eleanor Oliphant forever! I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

Emily Matthys bennett | 2 comments I thought this book was great! Eleanor could have been a very unlikeable character, but she is written with so much empathy that you cannot help relate to her and root for her. She really made me feel like we, as the human race, need to think about the perspectives of others more often.

message 20: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Emily wrote: "I thought this book was great! Eleanor could have been a very unlikeable character, but she is written with so much empathy that you cannot help relate to her and root for her. She really made me f..."

Agreed!!

message 21: by Tucker (new)

Tucker  (TuckerTheReader) (tuckeralmengor) I finally got this from the library but I probably won't get to read it before the end if september

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tucker wrote: "I finally got this from the library but I probably won't get to read it before the end if september"

That is totally ok! Let us know what you think!