Historical Romance Book Club discussion

A Scandalous Scot (Scottish Sisters, #1)
This topic is about A Scandalous Scot
Gaol/BOTM > BOTM - September 2018 - A Scandalous Scot

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (last edited Sep 01, 2018 07:24PM) (new) - added it

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4101 comments Mod
Discussion thread for September 2018 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions.)

Happy Reading!

A Scandalous Scot (Scottish Sisters #1) by Karen Ranney
A Scandalous Scot by
Karen Ranney

One scandal was never enough . . .

After four long years, Morgan MacCraig has finally returned to the Highlands of his birth . . . with his honor in shreds. After a scandal, all he wants now is solace—yet peace is impossible to find with the castle's outspoken new maid trying his patience, challenging his manhood . . . and winning his love, body and soul.

Jean MacDonald wants to leave her past behind and start anew, but Ballindair Castle, a Scottish estate rumored to be haunted, hasn't been the safe haven she envisioned. Ballindair's ancestral ghosts aren't as fascinating as Morgan, the most magnificent man she's ever seen. Though their passion triggers a fresh scandal that could force them to wed, Jean must first share the secrets of her own past—secrets that could force them apart, or be the beginning of a love and redemption unlike anything they've ever known.

message 2: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - added it

It’s September! Who’s joining in this read?

Mariana | 2310 comments I'm joining. I have the book ready to go and plan to start reading today or tomorrow.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2087 comments Hmm. I don't think I'll join this one. I don't think this one is my cup of tea.

message 5: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige | 14 comments I plan on joining later in the month. This will be my first time reading from this author.

message 6: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - added it

I plan to join also. I am not quite sure when yet. Generally, I have enjoyed Karen Ranney but have yet to read this book.

message 7: by Tanya (new) - added it

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 341 comments I shall be joining in as well. I have a few ARC's to finish and then shall begin.

In all honesty, I'm not a big fan of the housemaid trope, but I've heard the author is good so I'l give it a shot! :)

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments I'll be in as soon as I finish the audio book I'm listening to.

I've never read this author. Looking forward to it!

Cath | 295 comments Just finished Chapt 17 and enjoying it so far.

Renae (romanticparvenu) | 29 comments I've started this, and read through chapter six. I like it so far, and I'm interested to see how the protagonists can go from being massively annoyed with each other to a relationship.

Mariana | 2310 comments Cath wrote: "Just finished Chapt 17 and enjoying it so far."

Chapter 17! Are they short chapters, or are you past halfway?

I read the first couple pages but set it aside when it did not immediately draw me in. I will read some more today now that I see others have started.

message 12: by Lorien (new) - added it

Lorien | 398 comments I'm in too, but probably won't start until later this week.

message 13: by Cath (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cath | 295 comments Mariana wrote: "Cath wrote: "Just finished Chapt 17 and enjoying it so far."

Chapter 17! Are they short chapters, or are you past halfway?

I read the first couple pages but set it aside when it did not immediate..."

Right about halfway through. And yes, the chapters aren't too long, plus I find Ranney's sentences pretty easy to move through at a fast pace.

Renae (romanticparvenu) | 29 comments I finished! (Clearly spent my holiday very productively, haha.) It was definitely not my favorite romance ever, but I think I will read the sequel. Really interested to see (view spoiler)

Mariana | 2310 comments Renae (Romantic Parvenu) wrote: "I finished! (Clearly spent my holiday very productively, haha.) It was definitely not my favorite romance ever, but I think I will read the sequel. Really interested to see [spoilers removed]"

2 stars and still planning to read the next book?!

I will probably finish tonight and then read your spoiler.

Renae (romanticparvenu) | 29 comments @ Mariana:

I was going to, but after some researching and reading the reviews, I'm going to skip the sequel. I wanted to see what Ranney did with Catriona, but now I'm sure I won't like what she does. :/ Bummer, but there are always too many books on Mount TBR.

Mariana | 2310 comments Renae (Romantic Parvenu) wrote: "@ Mariana:

I was going to, but after some researching and reading the reviews, I'm going to skip the sequel. I wanted to see what Ranney did with Catriona, but now I'm sure I won't like what she d..."

I actually liked this book more than you did, but I could not stand Andrew or Catriona. I just know I wouldn't like her story, so I won't even try.

I have definitely enjoyed other Karen Ranney books though and will read more.

message 18: by Cath (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cath | 295 comments I've read through Chapt 21 now and can't imagine Ranney ever doing enough with Catriona to rehabilitate her and make me like her so that I'd want to read a sequel about her. I really can't stand the girl! But I guess I'll find out. I''m very curious.

message 19: by Iza (new)

Iza Brekilien (izabrekilien) I'm joining ! I already have the book, I'll just have to finish the novella I'm reading :)

message 20: by Renae (last edited Sep 05, 2018 05:58AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Renae (romanticparvenu) | 29 comments If anybody does end up reading Catriona's book, let me know! She's an ~interesting~ yet extremely difficult character and I think Ranney would have to seriously work at making a book about her work. Like I said, probably not for me, but I'm really curious like Cath.

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Paige wrote: "I plan on joining later in the month. This will be my first time reading from this author."

I'll be joining a bit later too.

Not reading comments..... Lalalalalalala....hands over eyes. :D

message 22: by Iza (new)

Iza Brekilien (izabrekilien) I have reached chapter 7 but I'm not keen on any of the characters... And when I read your comments, I'm afraid I won't like the book. I'll keep reading, though.

message 23: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 127 comments Was planning to read this one, after these comments I’m not so sure

message 24: by Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 (last edited Sep 09, 2018 04:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 | 732 comments Going to bypass comments for now with the exception that I am totally not fond of Andrew and Catriona. I'm liking it although it started off a bit slow for me.

Mariana | 2310 comments Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "Going to bypass comments for now with the exception that I am totally not fond of Andrew and Catriona. I'm liking it although it started off a bit slow for me."

It started off slow for me too. However, it picks up when you get well into it.

message 26: by Iza (new)

Iza Brekilien (izabrekilien) I finished reading it, but I almost didn't - I persevered because of the group !
I liked some parts better than others, I'm not fond of Catriona and Andrew too, and I don't see how Catriona can be redeemed for the next book !
The hero and heroin got better after a while, but I can't say they're my favorite couple and I still can't believe the circumstances of their wedding, it was ridiculous.

Renae (romanticparvenu) | 29 comments Iza wrote: "I still can't believe the circumstances of their wedding, it was ridiculous. "

I agree! I actually enjoyed the romantic moments between them, but I could NOT get behind the two of them actually getting married. No way you can convince me an earl could be guilt-tripped into (view spoiler) Nooope.

Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 | 732 comments Renae (Romantic Parvenu) wrote: "Iza wrote: "I still can't believe the circumstances of their wedding, it was ridiculous. "

I agree! I actually enjoyed the romantic moments between them, but I could NOT get behind the two of them..."

I totally agree with you both and thought the same thing. Way too easy☺ Did not care for Andrew and Catriona and also cant see anything in future story to redeem her...its got to be really well thought out.

message 29: by Missy (on hiatus) (last edited Sep 12, 2018 09:42PM) (new)

Missy (on hiatus) | 1188 comments I don't have time to participate in this botm. However...based on the comments about Catriona, I wonder if I should read her book first before this one? Hmmm?? 🤔

Mariana | 2310 comments Missy wrote: "I don't have time to participate in this botm. However...based on the comments about Catriona, I wonder if I should read her book first before this one? Hmmm?? 🤔"

I guess that depends if you want to make her more easily redeemed.

Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 | 732 comments Mariana wrote: "Missy wrote: "I don't have time to participate in this botm. However...based on the comments about Catriona, I wonder if I should read her book first before this one? Hmmm?? 🤔"

I guess that depend..."

LOL...exactly.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Scandalous Scot (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karen Ranney (other topics)