The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 25.2 - TessaVanessa's task: Game on!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 14, 2018 01:52PM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 5334 comments Mod
25.2 - TessaVanessa's task: Game on!

This is a 2 book challenge. Choose 2 different options and read one book for each.
Required: Specify which options you are using when you post.

Option 1 : The first board game I remember playing was Chutes and Ladders. A traditional game from ancient India that was brought to the UK in 1892 and first commercially published in the USA by Milton Bradley in 1943 (as Chutes and Ladders). You spin the wheel to see how many spaces you proceed on the grid. If you land at the bottom of the ladder you get to climb up but if you land on a chute it's back down to start out toward the top again. The longest ladder starts on in square 28 and rises to square 84. The longest chute starts on 87 and ends on 24.

Read a book that has one of the numbers 24, 28, 84, or 87 in order in number of pages. Examples: 124, 248, 840 or 187.

Option 2: The first card game I ever played was Old Maid. The card game called Old Maid has been around since Victorian times. In short, the game requires players to try and avoid being stuck with the Old Maid card. The game reinforced social rules of the time. It implies that women should marry while they were young so they would not end up an old maid. It also implied that men should marry a young woman to avoid getting stuck with an old maid. Thank goodness times have changed.

Read a book that has the word SINGLE, OLD, or MAID in the title or subtitle AND that is written by a single (one) author. Plurals and possessives will work, but no other variations.

Option 3: The first video game I ever played was Pacman. I still love playing it if I get a chance. Pac-Man is an arcade game developed by Namco and first released in Japan as Puck Man in May 1980. It was created by Japanese video game designer Toru Iwatani. It was licensed for distribution in the United States by Midway Games and released in October 1980. Immensely popular from its original release to the present day, Pac-Man is considered one of the classics of the medium, and an icon of 1980s popular culture.

Read a book first published in the 1980s.

Option 4: The first computer game I ever downloaded was Mahjong. I love games like this. The computer game was originally created by Brodie Lockard in 1981 on the PLATO system and named Mah-Jongg after the game that uses the same tiles for play. Mahjong solitaire is a single-player matching game that uses a set of mahjong tiles rather than cards. The 144 tiles are arranged in a special four-layer pattern with their faces upwards. A tile is said to be open or exposed if it can be moved either left or right without disturbing other tiles. The goal is to match open pairs of identical tiles and remove them from the board, exposing the tiles under them for play. The game is finished when all pairs of tiles have been removed from the board or when there are no exposed pairs remaining. Using traditional mahjong tiles, the sets include the dragons, the flowers, the seasons, and the winds.

Pick one of the special tile names: dragon, flower, season, or wind and read a book that includes all the letters of one of the tiles in the author's first and last name. Middle names may be used if they appear in the Goodreads information. If the book has multiple authors, only one author must fit the task. However, all the letters of the tile must appear in one author's name. Example: season = James Patterson; wind = Gina Wohlsdorf.
Required: Specify which tile you are using when you post.

message 2: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1525 comments Reserved

message 3: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1525 comments Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5334 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3043 comments Can I use Iron Kissed that has 287 pages for 87

message 6: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1525 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Can I use Iron Kissed that has 287 pages for 87"
Yes, that will work.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments For option 4, would a two author book work? In that case, should we find the letters of the tile in the name of only one author or both?

message 8: by Tess (new)

Tess (tessavanessa) | 1525 comments Elizabeth wrote: "For option 4, would a two author book work? In that case, should we find the letters of the tile in the name of only one author or both?"

One author's name if more than one author

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Iron Kissed (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Patterson (other topics)
Gina Wohlsdorf (other topics)