Play Book Tag discussion

The Notebook (The Notebook, #1)
This topic is about The Notebook
Archive: Other Books > The Notebook / Nicholas Sparks - 1*

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments The Notebook (The Notebook, #1) by Nicholas Sparks
The Notebook – Nicholas Sparks
Audiobook read by Barry Bostwick.
1*

An elderly man recalls how he met his wife, writing the couple’s story in a notebook and reading sections to his wife, who is in a nursing home with dementia.

Maudlin. Simplistic. Wooden dialogue. Cardboard characters. On the plus side, I did like the depiction of how devoted Noah was to Allie as she is basically lost to him via dementia. All in all, however, I was bored and found myself rolling my eyes frequently. Just not my cup of tea. Thank heavens it’s a fast read (or listen).

Barry Bostwick does a good job of voicing the audio in that he sets a good pace, enunciates clearly, and gives credible voices to the characters.

LINK to my review

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I, as a lover of cheesy romance novels, have trouble stomaching Sparks novels. They are just to overwrought and emotionally manipulative.

The one thing I can say about this one over some of his other books is that it does not fall into one of his favorite ploys of having one person in the couple die a tragic death while they are young/earlyish in their relationship.

Oddly though, I cannot get enough of movies based on Sparks's books! lol. I think it is because I can feel okay about investing less than two hours in a cheesy, horribly acted movie, but reading is so much more of a time investment when there are so many other things I want to read. Oh, and there are always hot guys in the movies ;)

What on earth inspired you to read this anyway?! I definitely would not have pegged it as one you would pick up.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments See, I thought it was sweet - a little contrived - but sweet. Yes, I felt manipulated but maybe I was ready for that. Read it ages ago. That said, I don't read a lot of Sparks.

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Barbara wrote: "See, I thought it was sweet - a little contrived - but sweet. Yes, I felt manipulated but maybe I was ready for that. Read it ages ago. That said, I don't read a lot of Sparks."

The last one of his I read, The Longest Ride, was actually pretty decent. Still overwrought and emotionally manipulative, but it was more like this book and less like some of his other tragic ones.

Charlotte | 1663 comments I have to be in the right mood for his stuff. It's all a bit too much at times.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8454 comments I picked up one of his books and could not get through it-just not what I enjoy reading-yet so many others love his stories-that's what is great though about books-so many to choose from!

message 7: by LibraryCin (new) - added it

LibraryCin | 9085 comments I've only read one or two by him, but I LOVED this movie! This is not one of his books that I've read.

Like Nicole, this is not one I would have pictured you reading BC!

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments Nicole R wrote: "What on earth inspired you to read this anyway?! I definitely would not have pegged it as one you would pick up...."

I do the Seasonal Reading Challenge here on Goodreads, and this one was on one of the lists that was a challenge requirement. I knew it would be a fast read, so that's why I chose it. (There were other books on the list that I'm sure I'd like better.)

I had read The Longest Ride and liked it better (2.5**); and I gave The Lucky One 3 stars.