Start by marking “The Longest Ride” as Want to Read:
The Longest Ride

The Longest Ride

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  98,882 ratings  ·  9,211 reviews
Ira Levinson is in trouble. At ninety-one years old, in poor health and alone in the world, he finds himself stranded on an isolated embankment after a car crash. Suffering multiple injuries, he struggles to retain consciousness until a blurry image materializes and comes into focus beside him: his beloved wife Ruth, who passed away nine years ago. Urging him to hang on, s ...more
Published September 17th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published April 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Longest Ride, please sign up.
Danielle I loved Ira's story more then Luke and Sophia's! Such a sweet story
Lora Swafford The book is ten times better than the movie. They are actually nothing alike. The movie skipped a lot from the book. Pretty much all of the book was…moreThe book is ten times better than the movie. They are actually nothing alike. The movie skipped a lot from the book. Pretty much all of the book was skipped in the movie. The movie rearranged everything in the book and jumps from scene to scene. I would highly recommend you read the book. (less)

Lynda
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear Mr Sparks

As I settle into my seat and begin to write
On my long haul Emirates international flight
I try to avoid all the sideway stares
Of passengers curious about my tears

I just can't seem to ebb the flow
And as my embarrassment starts to grow
I curse you and 'The Longest Ride'
For placing me on this emotional slide

Such wonderful characters you bring to life
First Ira then Ruth, his adored deceased wife
Then Sophia and Luke, a most unlikely pair
And a convergence of lives shockingly l
Christy
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4-4.5 stars

photo 22d59ab6-298f-4b42-b18e-fe4fd66027cb_zpsmlio2mlb.jpg

The Longest Ride made me remember why I was always such a big Nicholas Sparks fan growing up. I used to read every single one of his books as soon as they were released. Honestly, I picked this book up because the film is due to be released in a week or two and I’m dying to see it (Scott Eastwood as a bull rider… no brainer). I’m glad I did. I very much enjoyed both of these parallel love stories.

Ira and Ruth’s story starts in the 30’s/40’s. It’s a time of war. Ira is a 91 year old
Lola
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, romance
I don’t recall ever associating the quality of being ‘‘humane’’ to a book before, but here I am doing just that for ‘‘The Longest Ride.’’

The word came to my mind as I was reading the long and eloquent descriptions of many different emotions the characters are feeling in this powerful story. It didn’t only feel as if the writer humanly described those emotions; it felt as if the book itself felt compassion for its ‘‘actors.’’

But feel free to raise an eyebrow, because this is a little strange, I a
Nur Ain Z.

I can see why some people favour this book while the others don’t. I, for that matter, happen to fall into the third category – enjoyed the story but wasn’t entirely impressed by it. It was just an okay kind of story for me; sweet enough to leave you aching but doesn’t make you sugar-rushed, which is a tad disappointing to be honest. But then again, I don’t really know what to expect from Sparks’s books anymore. The last book of his I read was Safe Haven and that was only because I got
Jess-i-ca ~Sometimes a Gif Witch~
Update: 7/11/13
Holy SHIT! Kindle Preorder price is $11.04?

Nicholas Sparks I love you but dang....You are already rich....I mean really....It's a digital book.....Unless it reads the book to me I do not like this price...
judging photo tumblr_inline_mlv9pgblIE1qz4rgp_zps1bf358c9.gif

New Nicholas Sparks Book in September!!! I am so excited!!
Jess
Mar 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just finished this not too long ago and of course, like all of Nicholas Sparks' books - I loved it. I really enjoyed both love stories and the way in which each were told, how one showed a lifetime of love and the other the beginning of love. It did feel like two completely different stories and I had no idea how their stories would intertwine although I had my predictions but loved how they eventually came together. It's such a beautiful story <3

(First read in September 2013)
(Second read i
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
The Longest Ride is one of the most beautiful books I have read in a very long time and has earned every one if not more of the five stars I awarded it. It is the love story of two very different couples in North Carolina whose lives seemingly have nothing in common with one another.

First, we have Ira and Ruth. The book starts right out with Ira who is 91 years old and has been in a car accident. He lost control of his car on a curve and has gone down a steep embankment and hit a tree and the we
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
4 STARS

The truth is that when I saw the trailer of The Wildest Ride I was super excited to read it!! And now that I finally read it, I'm even more excited to see the movie!!I really enjoyed this amazing story!! Nicholas Sparks is a very famous author!I have seen many of his books that have become movies but never before I have read a book of him!
Two different stories
two couples who are separated by years..

description

The one story is for Ira an old man, who had an accident,and he is recalling and retellin
Aishu Rehman
Throughout this book, I was very present. Two different stories seemed to unfold, each alternating almost chapter by chapter. One storyline involves a young woman who attending college in North Carolina for her last two years. By chance she meets a young man who came to her rescue near the edge of campus. He was driving back from a tournament because he rides bulls for a living. Not only is he good at what he does, he seems like a really decent, smart guy. The second, seemingly unrelated storyli ...more
Olga Shvets
Mar 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
Mr. Sparks, I love to cosy up at home and read your romantic and inspiring novels from time to time, but this book was indeed an incredibly LONG and BORING ride. A complete disappointment.

The two story lines were trivial and uncoordinated. I do acknowledge that Ira's eternal love for Ruth was indeed worth admiration, however it seemed too similar to the Pearl Harbor movie or any other of the WWII love stories. It was nevertheless a million times more interesting than the whole story line of Luk
Jamie-leigh Haughn
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This book wasn't quite what I had expected, it started out feeling very much like The Notebook but it didn't live up to that standard. Overall I enjoyed this book, not my favourite Nicholas Sparks book, but then again, not the worst!

I found it a bit slow at times and I didn't find that Luke and Sophia had great chemistry in comparison to other Sparks couples. I really like all of the characters as individuals, Luke was a dreamy cowboy who was a bit rough around the edges and Sophia was a very re
Angela
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this way more than The Choice

Having this image in my head didn't hurt either...

READ THIS REVIEW AND OTHERS OVER ON OUR BLOG:
Shan
Apr 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio-book
I'm sorry but this has to be one of the stupidest books I've read. Yes, I've already mentioned in past reviews that I'm not really a fan of Sparks' work.

So why do I continue to read them, you ask? Well, it's simple: I'm cheap. My town's library is tiny and has a miniscule selection of audiobooks--except for Nicholas Sparks' books, apparently. Checking out audiobooks from the library=$0. Well, why would I even listen to an audiobook if I can read a book from a much larger selection? That, too, i
Arlene
I’ve had a long reading relationship with Nicholas Sparks, and the best way I can describe it is unpredictable. Going into his each of his books, I never doubt he has a good story to tell. However, that story is not always for me. It unusually ends in one of two ways… I either hate it or love it. My most recent experiences have fallen a bit short, so going into The Longest Ride it’s no surprise that I was skeptical. With the movie being right around the corner, and the trailers seeming to be app ...more
Jacqueline's Reads
Apr 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-books
4.5 A Journey Full of Life Stars

I’ve never rated a Nicholas Sparks book low, but I don’t really pick up his books unless it’s going to be a movie. So, yes, I am one of those, I have to read the book prior to the movie.

The Lonest Ride has all the elements I’m looking for in a cowboy theme book. I’m from Texas, so I take my cowboys seriously.

I’m listening to the audio version and I will be honest. If you have to do it any way, listen to the audio version, it’s fabulous. The voice actors were PERF
Ninoska Goris
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Dos historias de amor que se cruzan de la manera mas sorprendente.

Este libro esta narrado en dos líneas de tiempo, una por un hombre de noventa años que se encuentra accidentado en una carretera nevada aislada y otra por una estudiante de arte y un cowboy.

La lectura de este libro fue muy pesada. A pesar de que las historias me parecían aburridas, la de Ira es bonita. No conecté con la historia de amor de Luke y Sophia.
Dale Harcombe
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s no secret I am a fan of the novels of Nicholas Sparks. His characters and the way he writes suck me into the story every time. I like that he writes about true and lasting love. I wondered how different it might be this time, as this was the first time I had seen the movie before reading the book. Would that spoil it a little for me? No, I enjoyed the movie. But I adored the book.
The story concerns two sets of characters, the Jewish couple Ira Levinson and his wife Ruth, who had a passion
Amy
Sep 27, 2013 rated it liked it
At one point I would have given this book 5 stars based on the love story and the depth of the relationships. However, the resolution is a story that has been circulating the internet for years, and I felt cheated! I felt like this wonderful love story was no longer "original". Yes, it was a nice way to neatly tie the two storylines together and have a "tear inducing" ending (if you didn't already know the ending!), but Sparks basically lifted this ending from an email short story! Why would a t ...more
Duane
I don't readily admit to the fact that I have read all of Nicholas Sparks books. I don't know what I would answer if someone ask me "why". It's just a path I got started on and now it seems a shame to stop it. They are entertaining and well wriitten for the most part, although I have been frustrated at times for his habit of "killing off" his key characters.

But that doesn't happen here, at least not unexpectedly, and things end well, albeit a little far fetched. Two stories are told concurrently
Inés Izal
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bingo-ya-2016, 2016
Este hombre siempre me destroza el corazón.
description

Pero juro que nunca nadie hará historias de amor como las suyas.
La de Ira y Ruth es única.
Medini
May 25, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, contemporary

‘After all, if there is a heaven, we will find each other again, for there is no heaven without you.’

I feel terrible for giving this book a low rating, especially since Nicholas Sparks has been one of my favorite authors since several years; I mean I binge read A Bend in the Road, The Guardian and The Lucky One in a span of a few days in my study holidays in 2011! But this book… was a really long, tedious ride.

The first two-third of this was mind-numbingly dull. The two couples in question,
Carla
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
remind me never to do that again.
Buggy
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Buggy by: Sarah
Opening Line: “I sometimes think to myself that I’m the last of my kind.”

Well I’ve gotta give this 5 stars because Nicholas Sparks did it to me again with another unforgettable romance. I just can’t help myself when it comes to his stuff. By now I’ve also come to terms with the fact that I’m not going to be guaranteed a HEA, which may actually be part of the attraction, it sure adds to the suspense factor as I never know who he’s going to kill off and I’ve thrown more than one of his books acros
Carolina Stroschein
• “Si de verdad existe un lugar llamado Cielo, nos volveremos a encontrar, ya que no hay Cielo sin ti”. •

El viaje más largo es una novela dulce que incluye elementos de la memorable El cuaderno de Noah y se centra en dos historias de amor –una que tuvo lugar en el pasado (Ruth y Ira) y otra en el presente (Sophia y Luke)–, quizás con el propósito de destacar la importancia del amor en todas sus formas y en todo espacio temporal y de enseñarnos que el amor requiere de sacrificios.

Por un lado, te
romance enthusiast
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

I cant say that this book became my new favorite Nicholas Sparks novel because it was not. I must say, it was a nice story, and I think Sparks tried a different way of providing us of a good story.

For me it was a good book, I will not say it was great because I have to be honest it was not. There were more books from this author that was better than this one. Am a disappointed? Maybe a little. I am a big fan of Nicholas Sparks, that whenever a new book was coming out, I get so excite
Gabriela
I have read books by Nicholas Sparks before, I have even loved books by Nicholas Sparks before but this one ... IT WAS THE LONGEST RIDE INDEED. . To me this just felt like Nicholas Sparks had this two not-yet-great ideas about two completely different love stories and he was like "You know what, Im just going to put this two together in a book and then find a way to make them connect, yup, that will work." But, gosh to me, it didn't work.

This one didn't even make me feel anything, it was boring
إيمان
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

لا أعتبر نفسي من محبي الروايات الرومانسية و إن كنت أستمتع عادة بقراءة جنس أدبي قريب منها ألا و هو روايات الإثارة الرومانسية ( romantic suspense ). و رغم أن تجاربي مع كل ما سبق ليست بالكثيرة، و إذا ما أخذنا بعين الإعتبار التحولات التي تطرأ على إختيارات القاريء و ميولاته مع مرور الوقت، تبقى كتابات نيكولاس سباركس واحدة من الثوابت القليلة في إختيارات عبثت بها فوضويتي، تعدد توجهاتي، ميزاجيتي و الأهم من كل ذلك التغيرات التي طرأت على شخصي.

هذه الرواية على غرار غيرها مما اطلعت عليه (سواء على الورق أو ال
Camie
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
I don't like audio books, and was surprised how long this was. I'm not a Sparks fan either but quickly downloaded this (highly rated ??) one as we went out the door on a 10 hour road trip. Seeing my Grandkids was awesome, and my husband is a saint for listening with me, and driving in the worst rainstorm I've ever been in. Luckily we had several great football games to listen to on the return trip and even though my team lost, football was much preferred. 2 stars
Oana

After the third NS attempt and the only one I have actually managed to finish (with a little skimming here and there, I admit), I declare myself at a total loss. Why the huge amount of hype around this author?
Megan Readinginthesunshine
I’m a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks and his novels, I’ve read every single book of his and truly treasured them, and so I was very excited about his latest release The Longest Ride.

91 year old Ira is trying to stay conscious after his car crashes, and whilst struggling to remain conscious he sees an image of his beloved late wife Ruth, who urges him to hang on and recounts their story and life together. Meanwhile, college student Sophia meets cowboy Luke she is thrown into a world far removed from
HMSA Summer Reading: Book Review: The Longest Ride 1 1 Oct 31, 2017 09:32AM
Sequel To The Longest Ride 12 409 Jul 11, 2017 01:18AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks - Restarting April 24th 2015 27 116 May 04, 2017 10:21PM
  • Walking on Water (The Walk, #5)
  • Starting Now (Blossom Street, #9)
  • Winners
  • Fly Away (Firefly Lane, #2)
  • Second Honeymoon (Honeymoon, #2)
  • Sand Castle Bay (Ocean Breeze, #1)
  • Winter White (Belles, #2)
  • The Secret Hour
  • The Last Valentine
  • Don't Go

Nicholas Sparks is one of the world’s most beloved storytellers. All of his books have been New York Times bestsellers, with over 105 million copies sold worldwide, in more than 50 languages, including over 75 million copies in the United States alone.

Sparks wrote one of his best-known stories, The Notebook, over a period of six months at age 28. It was published in 1996 and he followed with the n

“If we'd never met, I think I would have known my life wasn't complete. And I would have wandered the world in search of you, even if I didn't know who I was looking for.” 309 likes
“After all, if there is a heaven, we will find each other again, for there is no heaven without you.” 223 likes