Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 – Halfway Check-In

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments We’ve just passed the halfway point of read-a-thon #3. How are things going so far? We hope you’re having a great time. Let’s check in.

1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
2. How are you doing compared to your goals for the read-a-thon?
3. What have you accomplished so far in the read-a-thon?
4. What challenges and distractions have you faced?
5. What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon?

message 2: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Sep 03, 2018 10:18PM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
The Miles of pages thread and just watching all the discussion about progress in the group threads.

Not.So.Good.
Thank goodness for picture books counting this week or else I'd have pretty much nothing done lol

All the games and recommendations, working on Bingo, listened to 5 hours of audio, read 1 middle grade book, 4 children's books and almost done with a non fiction read... all of them count towards ATY challenges .

Honestly my biggest challenge ended up being the book I was trying to read, which slowed me way down. And just general tiredness. Figures my last two months of insomnia have caught up with me during read-a-thon week....I'm falling asleep before the kids!

Possibly hold off on the non- fic I started (I'm giving it one more hour today, the very end is picking up) and finish as much of this stack of Library books I have sitting here as I can.

Lisa (the.running.bookworm) 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
Watching our team spread sheet fill up with completed tasks/ prompts :)
Doing ok I think. On track to what I thought I would realistically achieve
2 books done! which is normally my average for a week so certainly reading more
Work and marathon training (yes I am stupidly running a marathon in 10 days time!)
5. What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon?... another 2 books??

message 4: by Pam (last edited Aug 30, 2018 06:39PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2783 comments 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
Having that extra motivation with the team challenge!

Great! Better than I expected.

Finished 4 books, 2 children's book, a short story, and I found a book for my last prompt (legal thriller) for the ATY challenge and another one (memoir) for my Translated Lit challenge! I also made progress on my 2nd challenge and my Oh Canada! challenge. It's tricky juggling all of these challenges.

My only distraction was 2 days of babysitting my grandson. This weekend I won't have as much free time since my husband will be back in town. I don't plan to do as much reading tomorrow or during the 3 day holiday! I need to get caught up on housework tonight & Friday so it doesn't look like I sat around and read all week!

Finish 2 more books

message 5: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Aug 30, 2018 03:08PM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8316 comments Mod
1.What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
- I'm really enjoying updating the spreadsheet for my group. Probably because I haven't been reading or participating in the games much, so this makes me feel like I'm contributing.

- Oh, just awful.

- I finished my book club book on time, despite absolutely hating it. I hope to finish A Visit from the Goon Squad by tomorrow evening.

- I had a stomach bug on the day the read-a-thon started, and it's been kicking my butt. That, coupled with fantasy football drafts and school things... a lot of distractions around!

- I definitely want to finish A Visit from the Goon Squad before the end of August. Then I hope to read one or two books this weekend. I don't have many plans, so hopefully I can hang out on the couch (or in the sun) and read.

message 6: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 932 comments 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
Seeing my teams progress mounting, and the cover guessing games.

2. How are you doing compared to your goals for the read-a-Thin?
Eh, I didn’t really have any.

Finished 2 books and an audiobook, and kept my team’s spreadsheet up to date.

The start of work and attendant fatigue!

I hope to finish the two books I have going, The Brutal Telling which is also my AtY prompt for the week, and Children of Blood and Bone.

message 7: by Liz (new)

Liz | 509 comments 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
I have loved the push to read more often. It has also been fun seeing where we visit with "Miles of Pages."

I didn't set clear goals for the read-a-thon, but I have finished more books than I thought I would.

I have finished A Time to Kill, The Great Divorce, & The Hate U Give. I've listened to a couple hours of audio.

I have three young children & a husband who I need to be present for, otherwise I would read & read without interruption. :) I've also been spending more time perusing goodreads instead of just reading.

I would like to finish two more books & start a third. I'm currently reading The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry, & I'm trying to decide between Magpie Murders, An American Marriage, & 11/22/63 for the others.

message 8: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2816 comments 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
I liked the synonym/antonym game, and Miles of Pages is interesting although I haven't looked at it as thoroughly as I would like.

I never set myself very intense goals for the read-a-thon, but I was hoping to finish off the rest of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy last weekend and move on to some of my library books, so I'm not doing to well in that sense. I've really enjoyed both books, but they took much longer than expected (I'm still not done).

Literally only read one book so far, so probably my worst read-a-thon ever in terms of progress. But I have participated in all the games so far, so at least that's something.

A ton! I ended up having to spend the vast majority of last weekend working on a project that ate up most of my day two days in a row, so I had very little time to read. It was frustrating, because I'd purposely set aside for Days of Blood & Starlight and Dreams of Gods & Monsters that weekend knowing I had some days off, but ended up barely getting any time. I also had an event on Tuesday night which meant I got home late, and had literally only 2 hours to read. These books are quite dense, so they definitely take some time.

I'm setting the bar pretty low to be honest, so I'm hoping to finish one more book after finishing Dreams of God and Monsters (hopefully tomorrow).

message 9: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments The Read-a-Thon has not been as much fun as I had hoped. That's all on me, though. It's made reading feel more like an obligation than a choice, and I feel overwhelmed trying to keep track of all the games and posts. Plus my mother-in-law was admitted to the hospital and my wife has been making the 4-hour roundtrip every day to be at the hospital, which has thrown our usual routine all a-turvy. And work this week has been more stressful than I anticipated. And the holiday weekend is going to be busier than I thought it would be. So, yeah. :/

message 10: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
dalex, I've had similar feelings about read-a-thons in the past. It doesn't help when you have a ton of personal things happening since that alone is stressful. I hope things calm fown for you soon and that mother-in-law gets well soon! I think the biggest thing is to step back and avoid the team challenges if people tend to feel too pressured in the read-a-thons. It's definitely okay to just do some of the activities. I do the team challenge and then just don't do the daily games but you could mix it up in whatever way works.

message 11: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
I really like Miles of Pages. It's been seeing the different cities and quantifying the progress even more.

About as well I was expected for this part of the read-a-thon. I would love to read more in the evenings but I really struggle with falling asleep when I read. So I just accept that I have to watch Netflix more during the week. But I'm really excited to get some solid reading in this weekend since I actually took Monday off work (*gasp*)

Not a whole lot haha. I've read about 175 pages of my current book. It's not a lot but I will say that it's more than I usually would read for this stretch of time, considering I didn't read at all last weekend while I was out of town.

I was traveling last weekend so didn't even open my book. Then just my typical work week and my personal issue of falling asleep while reading.

I want to finish my current book tomorrow and then I'm hoping to read one more. I really would have loved to get through 3 books but 2 is still double my usual speed, I suppose.

message 12: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1665 comments 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far? The team challenge and the miles of pages
2. How are you doing compared to your goals for the read-a-thon? I read two books. I should get another one done today and another one this weekend. I wanted to read 4 so I'm on track but slowed down from the beginning of the week.
3. What have you accomplished so far in the read-a-thon? I read two books.
4. What challenges and distractions have you faced? Even though I'm supposed to be on vacation this week - I've had to work. It's the last week of summer so I'm trying to spend some time with the family and I binged watched some shows with my daughter. I love our girl time.
5. What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? Finish at least two more books for the ATY challenge

message 13: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far? I really like the miles of pages game and have already added one of the books to my tbr.
2. How are you doing compared to your goals for the read-a-thon? I'm slightly behind but about to start The Color Purple and if it's as good as I've heard, I expect to be back on track today.
3. What have you accomplished so far in the read-a-thon?Read two books.
4. What challenges and distractions have you faced? Work has been busier than anticipated and my second book was a bit of a slog at times.
5. What are your goals for the remainder of the read-a-thon? I'd like to read two more books.

message 14: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
Getting my reading mojo back!
I'm doing far better than I had expected to.
I've read 1071 pages and finished four books. I've gotten a little ahead on my AtY challenge, which was my main goal.
Normal life distractions, plus battling a nasty cold which sucked me dry for a day. We have a three day weekend here for the local Chilbi (like a fair), so I might not get as much done now the Spider is home.
I'm not too worried about finishing more books, but I'd like to make progress on the ones I'm working on.

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments I'm getting my reading mojo back too. It's so exciting!

message 16: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments Yay Katie!!

message 17: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Aug 31, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Katie wrote: "I'm getting my reading mojo back too. It's so exciting!"

Me too!! It is very exciting😊.........

( and then we'll try Ulysses.....)

message 18: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments Tracy wrote: "and then we'll try Ulysses....."

Shhhhhh ... 😩

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2480 comments 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
Reading!

Pretty good. I've read some short books like I usually do during the read-a-thon and listened to lots of audio.

I've read 3 short books and made a lot of progress on a long one, The Heart's Invisible Furies which is 582 pages.

Travel, work, television.

Finish The Heart's Invisible Furies and possibly Mistress Pat. And finish one short book, The Life and Death of Harriett Frean

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Yeah, we're not thinking about that right now.

message 21: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
Definitely the group discussions - and I love the new Miles of Pages idea.

I've actually read more than I thought I would be able to, since work was quite busy this week. So I'm quite happy with the results for now.

I've finished 3 books with a total page count of 1290 pages.

I've got a big deadline coming up this Monday, so I'm working on a project. Not sure how much reading I'll be able to get down during the weekend, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

I'm going to start and hopefully finish a short book tomorrow (Nüchtern am Weltnichtrauchertag) and after that, I want to pick up a non-fiction book for a change.

message 22: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
I've enjoyed seeing people enjoying the games I've posted. I've also loved the miles for pages game.

I set a goal to read 4 ATY books. I just finished my second today.

I just finished my 5th book! So that's pretty exciting for me, especially because I've been in a major reading slump for a lot of the summer.

Trouble figuring out what to read next, hahaha. It's a hard life.

Finish 2 more books for ATY.

message 23: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 808 comments 1. What has been your favorite part of the read-a-thon so far?
I have really enjoyed the games.
Not so god. I've only finished one physical book and working on an audiobook. I'm hoping to finish one more book.
I read one physical book, and am nearly finished with an audiobook.
Work was busier this week then expected resulting in some late nights which left less time for reading :/
I want to finish at least one more book so I will have three done.