Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Getting to Know You

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Some of you have been with us for years, and we’re excited to have a lot of new folks joining our group and participating in their first read-a-thon. We love to get to know each other better and create a sense of community. So tell us about yourselves!

1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
2. How many books have you read so far this year?
3. How are you doing on your ATY challenge: ahead, behind, on track or finished?
4. If you could only read one book genre for the rest of your life, what genre would you choose?
5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading?
6. Pose a question for the person after you! (For the first poster: What is your favorite dessert?)

message 2: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Aug 26, 2018 05:50AM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8324 comments Mod
- This is my third Read-A-Thon! The first one I did was the bookshelf one and I was VERY overwhelmed. These past two have been much easier to tackle haha!

- 64! I've already more than doubled where I was this time last year.

3. How are you doing on your ATY challenge: ahead, behind, on track or finished?
- I'm currently 11 books ahead. I'm not reading in order, so it's been easy to slot books in. Aside from Middlemarch (which I'm reading using Serial Reader and will be finishing in December), I'm hoping to finish the challenge by October.

4. If you could only read one book genre for the rest of your life, what genre would you choose?
- Ooooh. Um. I'd say realistic fiction? Just because there's so much diversity there? I love YA and I love historical, but I think they would get repetitive.

- Aside from Harry Potter, which... duh. I really loved Little Women and Rebecca. They were the first books I was allowed to read from my mom's bookshelf, and I think they made me feel so grown up when I read them (around the age of 11).

6. Pose a question for the person after you! (For the first poster: What is your favorite dessert?)
- That's a hard one because I have SUCH a sweet tooth. Lemon cake is something that I will never be able to pass up. Also, anything with marshmallows.

Question for the next person: How many countries have you visited? And which was your favorite?

message 3: by Joan (last edited Aug 26, 2018 10:24AM) (new)

Joan Barnett | 1672 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran? I think this is my 5th.
2. How many books have you read so far this year? 48
3. How are you doing on your ATY challenge: ahead, behind, on track or finished? I'm currently ahead 4.
4. If you could only read one book genre for the rest of your life, what genre would you choose? Um - this question is making me panic! Lol - I can't choose. I'll go with suspense thrillers
5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading? Lad: A Dog
6. How many countries have you visited? And which was your favorite?I haven't been off the North American Continent. I live in the USA. I have been to Canada and Mexico. Mexico was beautiful

What is your most favorite thing to do other than reading?

message 4: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 935 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
It’s my first one.

2. How many books have you read so far this year? 98

3. How are you doing on your ATY challenge: ahead, behind, on track or finished? I'm on track, reading in order.

Impossible to answer. Without diversity I would get bored and stop reading, I think.

5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading? I don’t really have a single favorite. Recently, I loved 4 3 2 1.

6. How many countries have you visited? And which was your favorite?
I think 17. Again, favorite is a hard question. Iceland, Slovenia and Namibia were all beautiful. Place I’m most likely to revisit might be Belize for snorkel/scuba.

What is your most favorite thing to do other than reading?
Crafting - I sew, knit, spin, and weave a lot, plus some other occasional textile crafts once in a while.

Is there a type of book you avoid?

message 5: by Silvia (last edited Aug 26, 2018 07:09AM) (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran? It's not my first read-a-thon, but I am not a veteran either.
2. How many books have you read so far this year? It's difficult to say, because most of them are graphic novels, but if I include the graphic novels, then 113.
3. How are you doing on your ATY challenge: ahead, behind, on track or finished? So far behind!!! :(
4. If you could only read one book genre for the rest of your life, what genre would you choose? Fantasy!!!
5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading? My favorite book is Harry Potter (all of them), but it was Little Women that made first love reading.
6. Is there a type of book you avoid?? Self-help ...

Which was the last film you saw at the movies?

message 6: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
I guess I'm a veteran!
I'm exactly on track.
I guess non-fiction, because it's such an all-encompassing genre.
5. What is your favourite book or a book that made you first love reading?
That's like asking me to choose a favourite child (although that's an easier question for me 🤣). One of the first books that I remember made me realise how much I loved reading (although I'd read a buttload of Sweet Dreams & Sweet Valley High books was Flowers in the Attic.
6. Which was the last film you saw at the movies?
Teen Titans Go. Obviously not my choice, although it was actually pretty good!

What are some of your favourite things to eat?

message 7: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
I think this is my fourth or fifht
A little behind
Can fiction be one genre, lol?
I remember loving The Brothers Lionheart, The Hobbit and the Narnia books as little. (I also read a buttload of the abovementioned Sweet Valley High and The Babysitters Club).
6. What are some of your favourite things to eat?
I am not picky when it comes to food, like almost everything. French food is a fiest, same goes for Italian and Asian. But I guess there is little that beats a delicious Sea Food Plattern. For snacks, it's salty licorice (it's a Scandinavian thing!).
7. What are your dream occupation, and are you currently doing it?

message 8: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
I've been a part of group since the beginning and have participated in all the read-a-thons, to some degree. Some of them I haven't been very successful in terms of reading and engagement.

I've read 35. I started the year off great and then had a tough summer.

I'm behind but still able to recover :)

I would say mystery. I like thrillers a lot but I think most thrillers would count under the larger umbrella term of "mystery".

I read Gone with Wind and White Oleander as a teenager and remember those the most. Earlier than that, would the Trixie Belden series.

6. I'm pretty happy with my current field (school social work/therapy in a high school). But if I could do anything it would renovating houses which is a bit of fad area right now.

Next person: If you could live in any city/country, where would it be?

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2787 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
This is my first despite being my 3rd year doing the ATY challenge!

64, including some children's

1.5 books left to finish

Probably historical fiction. That's a tough question!

As a kid, I devoured mysteries - Happy Hollisters, Bobbsey Twins, Encyclopedia Brown, etc.

6. If you could live in any city/country, where would it be?
New Zealand, even though I have never been there. It looks so beautiful!

Next person: What is the one place you have visited that you recommend others see?

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
This is my second read-a-thon!

I've read 49 books this year, which I'm quite happy with. I lost track of my reading habit in the past couple of years and am only now realizing how much I missed it.

I'm currently 7 books behind, but hoping to catch up a little this week. I'm reading in order and I've noticed that this is slowing me down a bit - but now that I've come this far reading in order, I wanna stick with it.

That's a tough one... I'll go with drama... or non-fiction? Or mystery? Young adult? This is impossible! There's no way to choose!!! :)

That would definitely be The Neverending Story by Michael Ende. This is the book that actually made me love reading so much.

If you could live in any city/country, where would it be?
I would love to live in Paris for a while! Not sure, whether I would like to settle down there for good, though.

Next question: Which book that you read in the last couple of years had the biggest impact on you?

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 611 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
This is the first for me.

Ahead at the moment but I have some big books left to read

Does classics count as a genre? It's encompasses enough different books to keep things interesting.

My favourite book as an adult is Jane Eyre but the first book I remember really loving was Ballet Shoes

6. What is the one place you have visited that you recommend others see?
I'd recommend Havana, Cuba because it is so different to anywhere else in the world. Beautiful architecture and amazing classic cars mingled in with half destroyed ruins and buildings that will never be finished. It's fascinating!

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1096 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
I have taken part in a few, I always have a good time and get more reading done than normal. Props to the mods for making them happen!
I am right on track
4. If you could only read one book genre for the rest of your life, what genre would you choose? AKKKK, does not compute. If I had to choose I guess contemporary fiction
I feel like I have always like to read but had a hard time finding books to keep me reading on a regular basis. In many ways I have this group and goodreads and electronic library checkout to thank for really bring out the reader in me. Not a book I know but can't think of one more of just a time period

What is the one place you have visited that you recommend others see?
Probably to see a really beautiful beach. I would recommend Lanikai Beach in Hawaii

Next person:
Is there a fictional location you wish was real so you could visit?

Lisa (the.running.bookworm) 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
This is my first readathon :)

Finished book 35 this morning!

I am bang on track for the ATY challenge :)

Thriller, I find a lot of them to be page turners for me

I think one of my favourite books as an older kid was called Burning Issy, by Melvin Burgess. I loved it and it really did start the reading bug! Also read a lot of Babysitters Club books at this time.

6. Fictional location I wish to visit? Has to be Diagon Alley from the Harry Potter series.

Next person: What is the longest book you have ever read? and was it worth the effort?

message 14: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Aug 26, 2018 11:36AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Looks like I'm becoming a veteran!! Last year was my first year in the group and I did 2/3 read-a- thons, this year I've participated in all of them and was team captain for the first. They're one of the things I look forward to the most during the year.

So far 72, but of these ,27 have been children's books for my ATY 52 picture books challenge. for my middle grade ATY challenge I've read 9, and the remainder have been a mixture of Adult fiction/Non Fiction, YA, and a handful of Graphic Novels and Poetry books.

Ahead or on track with my picture book challenge
WAAAAY behind on my middle grade challenge
and behind by about 13 books on ATY unless I get desperate and use the books I read for PopSugar and BookRiot

Are. You. Serious. I guess contemporary fiction, is that cheating? I would love to say YA/dystopian/fantasy but they do get repetitive after awhile and I end up needing breaks.

So many...I won't even attempt to go back to picture books, I taught myself to read when I was 4. stand outs for me as a child that I have read over and over are A Little Princess,The Secret Garden, Black Beauty,and The Diary of a Young Girl. I also remember repeatedly checking out the Trixie Belden series during Library class in elementary school, and The Witch Saga Series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor... way too many.

6. Pose a question for the person after you!
Next question ( Sarah's): Which book that you read in the last couple of years had the biggest impact on you?

A few, its hard to pick one, in order:
It Ends with Us
Love Warrior
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things
A Monster Calls
To Kill a Mockingbird

( Samantha's) Is there a fictional location you wish was real so you could visit? Hogwarts, Duh !! also, maybe travel through the Seven Stones and meet Jamie Frasier from Outlander .....

Lol , were all posting at the same time and missing each others questions ( Lisas) What is the longest book you have ever read? and was it worth the effort?
Outlander ( the whole series, and yes worth it , I love them :-)

My Question How much time do you REALLY spend planning out your challenge lists for the upcoming year, and do you end up actually following them?

message 15: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
This is my third!

2. How many books have you read so far this year? 75

3. How are you doing on your ATY challenge: ahead, behind, on track or finished? I have 100 pages left in my last book so I'm hoping to finish today!

4. If you could only read one book genre for the rest of your life, what genre would you choose? I'm not a big fan of the term but I'll say literary fiction since at least half of the books I read tend to fall into that category.

5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading? The favorite book question is too difficult so I'll answer the book that got me interested in read was Flowers in the Attic I flew through this series and I'm pretty sure my mother never knew the subject matter or I doubt she would have kept buying these books for 10 year old me.

6. I am not sure about longest book ever but longest book in recent memory was Middlemarch and it was definitely worth it.

For the next person: What was the most memorable setting/location of a book you've read?

message 16: by Edie (last edited Aug 26, 2018 12:14PM) (new)

Edie | 983 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran? This is my 2nd.
2. How many books have you read so far this year? 94
3. How are you doing on your ATY challenge: ahead, behind, on track or finished? Close to finished. 5 prompts to go and 2 I have in progress
4. If you could only read one book genre for the rest of your life, what genre would you choose? Fiction in general. I have gone through phases of devouring mystery and historical fiction, but I love variety.
5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading? I have always loved reading. In early days, Nancy Drew was a favorite.
6. What was the most memorable setting/location of a book you've read? Today I would say the Mississippi of Michael Farris Smith's books Redemption Road and The Fighter It is also the Mississippi of Sing, Unburied, Sing

For the next person: Who are your favorite authors?

message 17: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2820 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
I have participated in every read-a-thon (I think?) since I joined the group.

Currently on #111 (my goal is 182 for the year)

I'm currently at 33 books for ATY, although I'm aiming for 55 books instead of 52 for that challenge. I always add my wild card as an extra prompt that I really wanted from the rejects list instead of replacing one, and there was one prompt that I split into 3 books since it seemed to naturally work well that way. I think that puts me just slightly behind where I should be.

Very difficult question, unless I can count fiction as a genre on its own, lol. I need variety in order to stay motivated.

My earliest favourite that I can remember was A Boy in the Doghouse, but my favourite now is still Harry Potter.

6. Who are your favourite authors?
Jodi Picoult, although I have to say Laini Taylor is quickly becoming a favourite and so is Maggie Stiefvater (although I've only read the one Raven Boys book so far, so it may be too early to tell).

New question: What is an underrated book that you would recommend?

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2485 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
I'm a veteran. I do as many read-a-thons as fit my schedule.

I'm just a bit ahead. I'm reading in order so the 80 books I've read haven't all gone toward the challenge.

Tough question. I'd have to say classics because then I could still get a variety.

Trixie Belden series of mysteries

What is an underrated book that you would recommend?
Any book by Barbara Pym. I like her British wit. Specifically I'd recommend Excellent Women.

New question: What book from your favorite genre would you recommend?

message 19: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
Kathy wrote: "5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading?
Trixie Belden series of mysteries"

Yay, a fellow Trixie Belden reader!! :D

message 20: by Erica (new)

Erica | 524 comments 1. I’m a veteran. I’ve been doing them since this group started doing them.

2. 91 books! Wow the first year I did ATY (when it was still Pop Sugar) 52 books seemed so difficult!

3. Ahead by 8 or 9 books.

4. Literary fiction I guess

5. A book I remember reading over and over as a kid is The Secret Garden

6. Besides reading, what’s your favorite hobby?

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2485 comments Laura wrote: "Kathy wrote: "5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading?
Trixie Belden series of mysteries"

Yay, a fellow Trixie Belden reader!! :D"

I just loved Trixie with her ideas and her spunk.

message 22: by Traci (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 1053 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran? This is my first.

2. How many books have you read so far this year? 72

3. How are you doing on your ATY challenge: ahead, behind, on track or finished? Well, in May I felt too far ahead, so I decided to read in order...now I feel behind!

4. If you could only read one book genre for the rest of your life, what genre would you choose? Historical Fiction

5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading? Ramona books by Beverly Cleary

Besides Reading, what is your favorite hobby? Backpacking.

New Question: Which fictional character would you most like to meet?

message 23: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 301 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran? I have done all three this year

2. How many books have you read so far this year? 30
3. How are you doing on your ATY challenge: ahead, behind, on track or finished? Behind!

4. If you could only read one book genre for the rest of your life, what genre would you choose? That's hard, but I like suspense.

5. What is your favorite book? I loved Trixie Belden and had ALL the books! I see I'm not the only one.

6. Character to meet- Roarke from the In Death series.

Next poster- is there a place you would like to visit because of a book you read?

message 24: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Bahaha, I like seeing you all squirm from my question about picking only one genre. I was so looking forward to your answers!

I'm a read-a-thon vet.

I'm 7 books behind, but I'm hoping to really make some headway this read-a-thon.

Literary fiction

My favorite book now is Absalom, Absalom!, but the first book I remember loving was Catwings. I read it in 2nd grade.

6. Is there a place you would like to visit because of a book you read?
I'd really like to go on a Southern tour to the southern US states: South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi because I love Southern lit.

My question: Do you like to cook/bake? Do you have a specialty you make?

message 25: by Tammy (last edited Aug 26, 2018 08:41PM) (new)

Tammy | 704 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
I guess I'm a vet since this is my second one this year!

I think I am about to hit 175 tonight.
I've finished 2 ATY's this year and have one more book to read on my 3rd round.

Literary fiction

5. What is your favorite book?
Can one pick a favorite child? I can't pick a favorite book!

6. Do you like to cook/bake? Do you have a specialty you make?
I like both, but prefer savory foods to sweets. I've been in a gourmet club for 18 years and we already have reservations to stay in Julia Child's house for our 20 year anniversary! I make a wonderful standing rib roast with Yorkshire pudding.

My question: I'd like a song recommendation. Something old, new, borrowed (a cover), or the blues will do!

message 26: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran? This is my third, I think.

2. How many books have you read so far this year? 203. That includes a lot of graphic novels and some picture books, so it’s not as impressive as it may seem at first glance.

3. How are you doing on your ATY challenge: ahead, behind, on track or finished? Behind, though I’m doing several other challenges and some of those are ahead, so I think overall I’m doing fine to finish them all.

4. If you could only read one book genre for the rest of your life, what genre would you choose? Probably SFF.

5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading? I think the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey were what kept me reading into my teens, when many of my friends stopped reading quite as much.

6. A song recommendation! Yikes! I’m not much of a music person.
I always though City Hall by Vienna Teng was incredibly lovely.

Do you like to travel? What’s the most interesting place you’ve been?

message 27: by Ira (new)

Ira | 309 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
It is my fourth
28. But I am in the middle of some big ones.
I am 8 books behind. I was in a slump in April and May and I got a bit distracted with other book, but I think i will be able to finish this year.
Propably fantasy or literary fiction
5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading? One of my favorites when I was young wasBibbi Bokken's Magic Library, and before that I loved the Pippi Longstocking books. Now I have too many favourites to count
6. A song recommendation! I am very much into Heavy Metal, so here it goes. The last amazing greys by Sonata Arctica or We Are The Others by Delain
Do you like to travel? What’s the most interesting place you’ve been?
I love to travel!!! Last Christmas I went to Morocco and that was very a very interesting country to visit

message 28: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments I'm so excited to see so many other Trixie Belden fans here! I devoured that series when I was around ten. I'm really bummed, as I gave the books away to my best friend for her daughter (back when I was a teen) and she got rid of them. I would have loved to pass them down to the Spider, as she has all of my other childhood books.

message 29: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Tammy, what exactly is a gourmet club? That sounds so fun though. I'm excited for your 20th anniversary; what a fun thing.

message 30: by dalex (last edited Aug 27, 2018 05:27AM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
This is my first Read-a-Thon.

I've finished Round One and have read 20 books for Round Two.

I'm really torn between choosing literary fiction or historical fiction. (I would sure miss sci-fi and fantasy though!)

I've loved books and reading as far back as I can remember so this a very difficult question! However, I have very vivid memories of my grandmother reading me Black Beauty and between ages like 6-10 I devoured hundreds of horse books. Marguerite Henry was certainly a huge influencing factor in my love for books.

6. We seem to have gotten a bit confused with the questions/answers so I'll pick out one that I think was missed: How much time do you REALLY spend planning out your challenge lists for the upcoming year, and do you end up actually following them?
I super plan for my reading challenges and spend countless hours doing so. I go so far as to plan my books by month, with an even distribution of pages per month! I follow my plan about 90%, making slight modifications if I get ahead (or behind) in my reading or if I learn about a book that I cannot possibly put off until the following year.

My question for the next person: What superhero power do you wish you had and why?

message 31: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Tammy, what exactly is a gourmet club? That sounds so fun though. I'm excited for your 20th anniversary; what a fun thing.

We are a group of 6 girls (Gourmet Girls) and we each host one dinner per year. The hostess picks the menu, assigns the recipes, and prepares the main course. An example of a club menu would be:
Coen to a Dinner Party: A Tribute to the Films of the Coen Brothers
Cocktail: The Dude's White Russians
Appetizer: Marge’s Deviled Eggs with Chipped Candied Bacon
Salad: HAIL Caesar! Salad with Homemade Tapenade Croutons
Soup: A Serious Cauliflower-Cashew Soup with Crispy Buckwheat
Entrée: O Brother, Where Art Sow? Penny’s Brined Pork Loin w/ Onion, Garlic, and Raisin Arizona Compote
Side: Roasted Fingerling Pota“toes” with Bunny’s Green Chive Pesto Polish
Dessert: Yogurt and Brown-Chigurh Panna Cotta with Grape Gelée

It is a wonderful way to spend time with good friends. I always encourage others to try setting up their own club.

message 32: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (mustbinsane) | 18 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran? I participated in readathon#1 this year, but have also done Dewey's and 24in48.
2. How many books have you read so far this year? 131
3. How are you doing on your ATY challenge: ahead, behind, on track or finished? I have 2 books to complete, then I am done.
4. If you could only read one book genre for the rest of your life, what genre would you choose? Fantasy
5. What is your favorite book or a book that made you first love reading? Castle In the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop
6. Pose a question for the person after you!
To answer the question posed to me: I would like to be able to turn invisible, because you ever know what you need to escape.

For the person after me: Which author would you most like to meet, or if you have already me that person, who was it?

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Tammy, that sounds so amazing. I'm in a book club, but I have a dream to be in a cookbook club, where people get together & all make a recipe from the same cookbook or blog. What a fun thing you guys have going!

dalex, I'm super impressed with your reading planning. That is so interesting to me. Do you also have a set amount of time you spend reading to meet those goals?

message 34: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Katie wrote: "dalex, I'm super impressed with your reading planning. That is so interesting to me. Do you also have a set amount of time you spend reading to meet those goals?

I read an average of 60 pages per hour and I plan for one hour reading per day. So, for a month with 31 days, I aim for a total page count of about 1860 on my Reading Plan. Of course, I rarely read for precisely one hour and some books are faster reads than others, but overall this basically makes it work out even.

I'm pretty sure this is some sort of OCD or something. I don't think it's normal to be able to say with a good degree of certainty what one will be reading in November 2019. :lol:

message 35: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Dalex, your post just made me laugh. The first step to solving a problem is admitting you have a problem! But they also say that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

message 36: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Dalex, Thanks for answering my question :-)

message 37: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1668 comments I like to plan. I just never follow the plans, and I don't think I really mean to, so I'm not bothered. It's more like I'm laying out the possibilities, and they keep changing :)

message 38: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 808 comments 1. Is this your first read-a-thon or are you a read-a-thon veteran?
I think this is my 3rd or 4th readathon.
15, but only 14 for this challenge.
I'm very behind and don't think i will finish but thats okay. I still have read some great books this year.
I would choose mystery since so many fall under that heading but historical fiction is a very close second.
I loved the Nancy Drew and Bobbsey Twins mysteries as a kid and also Little Women when I was probably 10 or 11. How can i forget the Babysuttets Club?! I had soooo many of them, including the Super Special ones and the California Diaries series.
6. I think the author I would most like to meet would be Mary Higgins Clark, because I love her mysteries.

For the next person: what is your favorite book to movie (or tv) adaptation and why?

message 39: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Tammy wrote: "Dalex, your post just made me laugh. The first step to solving a problem is admitting you have a problem! But they also say that if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Haha! My super diligent organization/planning skills are very useful in my job but in real life seem rather ridiculous.

Tracy wrote: "Dalex, Thanks for answering my question :-) "

You're welcome. :)

message 40: by Christine (new)

Christine Marshall | 33 comments ok yes this is my first read a thon- and I have trouble concentrating lately... bad timing huh?
2.how many books have I read this year? 16 but I only joined in July, my goal is 27 for 2018.
3. For my ATY I'm at 46% so I am a little behind, but I hope to make that up soon with all the reading challenges I am in.
4. If I could only read one book genre for the rest of my life it would be psychological thrillers
What is your favorite book or a book that made you love reading? My favorite book(s) is Lewis Sperry Chafer's 8 volume set on Systematic Theology
6. The author I would most like to meet is Dr. Chafer
7. The question for the next person is what is your favorite classic?

message 41: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (last edited Sep 03, 2018 10:48PM) (new)

Tammy wrote: "Tammy, what exactly is a gourmet club? That sounds so fun though. I'm excited for your 20th anniversary; what a fun thing.

We are a group of 6 girls (Gourmet Girls) and we each host one dinner pe..."

This is literally making my mouth water. It all sounds so delish, and must be great fun :-)

Christine, I'll answer your question since this thread seems to be done: My favorite classic is Frankenstein. I will be reading again for my book club in October and I can not wait :-)