Play Book Tag discussion

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
Archive: Other Books > Listopia The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Book #5/6 from Science Fiction Books by Female Authors
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/6...
Listopia Challenge

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers ★★★★

It's time for a space romp, ya'll, in the spirit of Firefly, without the gloom, violence and horrific Reavers. We join a small, close-knit crew of likable, diverse, sentient creatures on a tunneling ship as they adventure around the known universe. I really enjoyed meeting the characters and learning about the different species of the Galactic Commons (GC).

While there are some spots of danger or menace, the tone is one of hope and humour. Every being on the ship has something going on, and their backgrounds/stories take turns as the main focus of the story. The book is written quite like a television series, with a large story being the main focus of the story, and episodes of action and back story popping up as the main story line progresses.

This was a nice warm hug of a space opera. Highly Recommended.

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Oh, yay, another fan. Nice review.

I wouldn't mind if more authors jumped on this bandwagon and wrote their own spin of "a nice warm hug of a space opera."

Amy N. | 256 comments ❇Critterbee wrote: "This was a nice warm hug of a space opera."

Precisely. :)

You're right about it feeling like a TV show, and I would love to see it adapted.

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Thanks, Cheryl and Amy!

It would be great as a television show! Plus, there are two others already published, so I can continue without the agonizing wait between books.

KateNZ | 2672 comments So glad you loved it!

Amy N. | 256 comments I'm in the middle of the second one and liking it a lot. It's a bit different in tone, but it follows poor Lovelace and Pepper, so we're already invested.

KateNZ | 2672 comments It’s very different but just as good on its own terms. More introspective. I haven’t read the third yet, but am waiting for it

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Nice to hear that the second one is just as good - I have it on hold at the library, so should be getting it soon!

annapi | 5159 comments I did not know the third book was out! Thanks, I will be getting it!