Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Kickoff

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (last edited Aug 24, 2018 05:09PM) (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Welcome to 2018 read-a-thon #3. The read-a-thon starts from when you wake up on Saturday, August 25 until when you go to sleep on Monday, September 3, and the goal is to read as much as you can and to have tons of fun. This is our longest read-a-thon ever, 10 full days of books and games. Feel free to participate in as few or as many games as you like.

We’ll be posting a game every day, and there is an Individual Bingo Challenge and a Team Challenge. Head on over to those links to participate. And it’s not too late to sign up for the team challenge.

So let’s kick off this read-a-thon with some questions, and don’t forget to keep coming back to the Read-a-Thon folder throughout the week.

1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish?
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading?
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or team game?
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on!
6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon?

Be sure to check in to the progress thread to update us on your reading throughout the week.

message 2: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Yay!!!I'm still awake so I can start in 24 minutes lol....

To read as many books as I can towards my ATY challenge... I'm behind and I'm determined to finish again this year

Persepolis & When Breath Becomes Air.... those are two I'm definitely doing this week .
The others I'm MOST excited about for my Adult ATY challenge are:
The Hate U Give
Eleanor Oliphant
My Lovely Wife in the Psych Ward
Beartown
Little Fires Everywhere
Force of Nature

I'm supposed to pick up an IKEA recliner from a friends house this week so probably in my living room. Otherwise the usual, a mix of the kitchen table with coffee or in bed while I try and stay comfortable... depends how I feel. If it's not too hot, I might try and sit outside a few days.

All of it!! I had so much fun participating in both the team challenge and all of the side games/Bingo during the last 2 read-a-thons. I've been looking forward to doing another one.

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on!
uh...yea😩. Helping a friend out with her sisters engagement party this weekend, she's in serious need of moral support, lol.... this is a last minute unexpected activity for me. Other than that the usual Dr. appointments, pain, needing sleep, pain, meds making me sleepy.... And then this is our last week of summer vacation , so getting organized to get the girlies back to school. It's going to be a busy week.

Doing some serious catching up on my challenge and the fun and camaraderie that always comes along with this time of year :-)

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2820 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To finish off the rest of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series, and just read as much as I can.

I'm currently reading Days of Blood & Starlight which I started before the readathon, so I'm dying to finish that and move on to the sequel. I also have They Both Die at the End and Of Fire and Stars in my library pile, so I'm hoping to get to at least one of those.

In my room at home. Honestly, that's the only place I ever read unless I'm on vacation.

I'm planning on doing both.

I've been roped in to help with a work event on Tuesday night, which means I probably won't get to read much at all. On the other hand, I have Monday off so maybe that will balance things out.

Just reading as much as I can.

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 461 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I just want to read as much as possible.
None in particular. I still do need to finish the “related to air” prompt though, so if anyone has any good suggestions for that I’ll take them. I want to get that prompt checked off.
Wherever I can. I’m in the process of moving so it seems like I have no good spots.
Team for sure, I might try a little of the individual as well.
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week?
I get the keys to my new apartment Monday so that a big thing. Hoping I can still get some quality reading in regardless.
Honestly, moving stresses me out, so I’m glad I have something else going on to distract me from the stress/nerves of it all.

message 5: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 814 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Just to have fun :)
I am pretty excited about the two books I have picked out for the week, they overall get really good reviews (The Life Before Us and The Sense of an Ending).
Probably a good portion on audio as I pack down my belongings into boxes (see #5), and decluttering.
Both, but the Bingo just for the fun of it
I can basically just copy the answer from Brittany above. I am currently preparing to put the apartment out for sale, and there is a lot of decluttering that needs to be done before I can have showings. So now I'm packing and packing, it's a never ending story. And all those books, aj, they are not much fun to move! Have bought a new apartment, and will take over that one in a couple of months, looking forward to it. So that's the silver ending I guess.
What Brittany said!! Also, the team challenges are always lots of fun.

message 6: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1672 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? I'm hoping I can read 4 books toward my ATY challenge
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I can't wait to finish The Last Town and I can't wait to start Illuminae
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? Some outside and the other part in my office (which is really just a small TV room - we took the desk out a number of years ago but we still call it the office...)
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or team game? both
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! I'm off this week so I'm hoping to read a lot and do a couple of day trips with the kids and get them ready for school. I'll try not to binge watch anything on Netflix.......
6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Well since it's my week off I'm hoping to really relax and enjoy the books I'm reading. I also like doing all the games and the teamwork is fun.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? To finish some books for my challenges - as well as ATY, I'm also attempting the Popsugar challenge and a few of the challenges in anothe challenge group Crazy Challenge Connection Group

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? No there's nothing in particular.

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? At home

4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or team game? Both

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Work will be the main thing. Plus I need to complete a job application.

6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Taking part in the challenges and having fun.

message 8: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Aug 25, 2018 06:09AM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8324 comments Mod
- I have three books that I want to finish by the time August ends. My book club meets on Tuesday and I haven't started that book yet, so that's priority.

- I want to read A Visit from the Goon Squad and It's Always the Husband (our book club book) before August ends. I'm really looking forward to reading The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women as well!

- At home. No big plans for either weekend, so I plan to lay low and use my books as a distraction from lesson planning and grading.

- Both!

- Well I had food poisoning last night, so I'm off to a rocky start already. Hopefully I feel up to getting some reading accomplished today.

- The team challenge is always so much fun!

message 9: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To ignore my adult responsibilities as much as possible and read, read, read.

I'm rather excited to read Exit West. It sounds wonderful and it's gotten a good bit of bookish love.

On the sofa with kitties, blankies, and coffee. Unless the weather finally warms up, in which case I'll be on the deck with a glass of iced tea, lots of sunshine, and a pastoral view.

I plan to. (But, goodness, the details of it all seems a bit overwhelming!)

My To Do List at work for the upcoming week is quite a bit longer than I anticipated it being so I don't think any office hours are going to be spent with a book. But I should have quite a lot of weekend reading time.

The team spirit. And all the boooooks!

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2787 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To finish 3-5 books and have fun with the games, etc.!

I'm really interested in finishing Jack Glass since 1) it's an ILL so I can't easily check it out again, 2) it's such a weird book that I just want to know how it ends, and 3) it's my 2nd to last book needed to complete the ATY challenge!

On the couch, on the outdoor swing (now that it is not in the high 90s every day!), maybe at the Albuquerque Botanic Garden. I am always saying that I want to go to the Botanic Garden and just hang out and read, but I never do. I also read a bit at Saturday night concerts at the coffeehouse.

Both!

No, just the normal - babysitting my grandson and doing housework/projects. I also have some volunteer work to do for our upcoming (Sept 13-16) bluegrass festival. My husband is out of town Mon-Fri, so no distractions there!

Finishing ATY and knocking off a couple of books for other challenges (SRC summer and fall, Oh, Canada!, Random Travel, and my personal SF 12+4). But, mostly, I'm just looking forward to having fun with the group!

message 11: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? I'm on my final book so my main goal is to complete the challenge!

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I'm surprised at how quickly I was hooked with Beneath a Scarlet Sky so I am eager to see how it ends, especially because it's based on a real person. I am also excited to read Mrs. Dalloway because it's one I DNF'd a couple of times but I figure a read-a-thon is a good time to give it one last chance to see if it engages me.

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? At home for the next few days and then at the beach next weekend.

4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or team game? Both!

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! I hope not. Knock on wood, but I expect work to be slow this week and I have a 4 day weekend planned next weekend where I should be able to spend a lot of time reading at the pool and beach.

6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? I love the team atmosphere and camaraderie of the read-a-thons!

message 12: by Jillian (last edited Aug 25, 2018 07:42AM) (new)

Jillian | 2023 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Make progress on my current books.

I'd love to finally finish Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell/Susanna Clarke being as I started it in January but I think it is unlikely I will.

Outside as long as the mosquitoes leave me alone otherwise inside.

Not this round. I'm going to try some of the individual games though.

Work, family, reading slump (I have 3 prompts left for the challenge and I just don't have much interest in two of the books I need to read for the challenge. The book for my final prompt does not get published until mid September).

Seeing if I can finish a book or two.

message 13: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1081 comments Mod
I’d like to read at least three books (including one I’ve started already) and generally just put aside more time each day to read.

I’m going to re-read Dubliners before starting a buddy read of Ulysses. I’m really looking forward to both of these.

Probably in bed!

Yes, both.

Nothing specific to this week, just the usual finding time to read when there’s lots else I need to do!

I always enjoy the daily games so probably those, and of course the group challenge.

message 14: by Traci (last edited Aug 25, 2018 08:33AM) (new)

Traci (tracibartz) | 1053 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? Read as much as possible, tick off a couple of ATY RC books as well as some for other challenges.
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? Sadly, not really, just plugging away. Next up in order on the ATY is a graphic novel with the Cinder Series, so that should be fun!
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? Home, supplemented with lunch at work, and commuting.
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or team game? Yes, both.
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Mostly just work. Air quality is bad, which helps keep me indoors for reading!
6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Checking out the games and group challenge.

message 15: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I'd love to complete my annual GR goal of 180 books (8 more to go).
I'd love to read my last ATY book The Pillars of the Earth but I can't do 1000 page book during the read-a-thon. I need more variety to keep my interest up!
Car, Home, lunch at work
Yes
1st week of school for the kid
Upping my reading goals!

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 2485 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
Read as much as possible. Finish 2 longer books and a bunch of short books. Play the games.

finish The Heart's Invisible Furies
start and finish Mistress Pat
read short story: The Willows
read short story: The Shunned House
finish audiobook: A Little Princess

Recliner in living room

Individual bingo

Short trip on Thursday/Friday
Work

Reading and seeing how everyone else is doing!

message 17: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I'm currently 7 books behind on my ATY challenge, so I'm hoping for the read-a-thon to be the extra boost I need right now.

Among other books, I've just picked up Burial Rites by Hannah Kent from the library. I've been meaning to read that for ages!

At home, on my favorite armchair and in bed.

Yes, both!! :)

Well, mostly work I guess. But I'm hoping for a good start this weekend.

The games, the interaction with all of you guys and of course: READING.

message 18: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
I'm behind in my reading for the year so really just to get in as much reading as possible. I would love to get through 3 books.

I have a few checked out from the library so would like to get those done. That would be:
Us Against You and The Deep. Then I have a few ARC's that I really want to get reviewed: An Anonymous Girl and Baby Teeth

Just at home in the living room or in bed. I've been itching to read outside more but just don't have good space for it.

I'm doing the team game. I may end up doing the Bingo but I'll see how my progress is coming along.

5. Is there anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on!
My typical work obligations. I've been in a bit of a reading slump this summer and I'm hoping the read-a-thon can give me the boost I've been needing.

I always like to see how the challenges progress for the teams.

message 19: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1555 comments Mod
I'm reading in order, and I am...behind. My goal is to read books for my next three challenges, and maybe more.
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? Not really? I'm glad I've finally gotten to my current read Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? Home, probably.
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or team game? Team 2!
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Well, I just moved, so I'm still trying to get my apartment in some sort of order.
6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Getting some books read and some prompts conquered!

message 20: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I want to get back on track (and possibly ahead) on my AtY challenge, as August so far has been pretty disastrous in terms of reading. I'd like to finish a few books, but also make progress on some of the ones I'm working through.
I wanted to finish A Room of One's Own (just did!), my audiobook Dad Is Fat, and my next AtY book, Voss. Hopefully the Spider and I will also finish The Marvelous Land of Oz.
This weekend, inside, as we're finally having a reprieve from this heatwave! But we're getting some warm sunny days this week too, so I'm hoping to head down to the lake for some quiet reading time while school's in.
Team game.
As usual, just my own flagging motivation and the number of heavier, drier books I have on the go.
I always like the team chats.

message 21: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 1096 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? Just to get some reading done and enjoy the camaraderie of participation.
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? Looking forward to finishing Six Wakes and I have a few books to start not sure which one to choose.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? At home
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or team game? you bet
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! just me get distracted by other things.
Getting caught up and ahead with the ATY challenge.

message 22: by Erika (new)

Erika | 30 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I am drowning in my TBR pile so I need something to stop me from slacking and read more!

So many! I hope to get to: A Reaper at the Gates (An Ember in the Ashes, #3) by Sabaa Tahir , finish The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton , and maybe even start Strange the Dreamer (Strange the Dreamer, #1) by Laini Taylor or The Hunger by Alma Katsu . The TBR pile is way too big!

Curled up in bed!

So far just the team, but I might try the bingo. Not sure yet.

Summer vacation doesn't end until Tuesday. My son starts 2nd grade. But until then, and after school, there are constant interruptions!

Being challenged, learning about new books, meeting new people, and putting a dent in the TBR mountain!

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
I am woefully behind on my ATY challenge, so my goal is to make some serious headway there. I'd like to finish 4 ATY books during this read-a-thon.

I made a plan to start Ulysses during the readathon, but I'm far from dying to read it.

I'm nearly 100% audiobooks, so I'll be listening as much as I can while going about all the normal parts of life. Today I was especially productive at cleaning the house; I think it's because I have an audiobook with me.

Yes to both!

Just work probably. And I'm hosting an event next Saturday, so that might throw me off a bit.

Powering through some books on my ATY list and officially leaving my July/early August reading slump in the dust!

message 24: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 808 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
My goals are to read as much as possible and finish 4 books for ATY, as I am very behind.
I am finally getting around to The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks after wanting to read it for the past couple years.
Probably at home.
I'm participating in both!
Work, as I tend to work long hours but i have all next weekend off for Labor Day so that should help. Though, college football starts so that will definitely be distracting lol
Making a bit of progress on my challenge and having fun.

message 25: by Kat (new)

Kat | 342 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To read as many books as I can and complete some challenge reads.
I've been on holiday for a week so caught up with reading. Need to start a new book/s but trying to decide what to read.
3. Where will you be doing the most reading?
At home, on the bus, work (if I can be left alone on my lunch break)
Individual bingo
5. Is anything going to stand in the way of your reading this week?
I'm back at work after a week off so will have lots to catch up on and things to worry about
Completing some challenges and making a headstart on my reading plan for the rest of the year

message 26: by Ira (new)

Ira | 309 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? To read as many books as possible, so I can catch up with the AtY Challenge. I have fallen behind.
Not really, but I think I will try and get to One Hundred Years of Solitude
3. Where will you be doing the most reading?
I will be reading at home and listening to audiobooks at work
I will try to do both
5. Is anything going to stand in the way of your reading this week?
The usual everyday distractions. I had visitors at Saturday, so I didn't read a lot then but it picked up after that.
Just reading as much as I can and enjoying the books that I read

message 27: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? Read as much as I can
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I want to read Renegades, the last one by Marissa Meyer.
3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? At home, probably at the table, because is the place with better light.
4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or team game? Team... but I need to check also the individual.
5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Work
6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? The games :)

message 28: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 301 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon?
To get back to reading!
2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? Not really

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? Home

4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or team game? Go team 2!

5. Is anything that's going to stand in the way of your reading this week? Let us cheer you on! Work and church commitments

6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Getting books read for my ATY challenge.

message 29: by Erica (new)

Erica | 524 comments 1 What are your readathon goals? To read a few books for ATY.

2. I just started The Cabin at the End of the World and Incant wait to see what happens.

3. I’ll be doing most of my reading either in bed after my kids are asleep, or while babywearing, trying to get my baby to nap.

4. I’m just participating in the team game.

5. My kids will stand in my way. I have a 3 year old and a 3 month old.

6. Just trying to focus more on reading when I can.

message 30: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments 1. What are your goals for the read-a-thon? I’ve been really bad for starting library books and then not finishing before they expire. Because with my family visiting my reading time is less and not consistent. So basically I’d just like to complete things.

2. Are there any books you're dying to start or finish? I need to read The Sea, the Sea and Gibbon's Decline and Fall for book clubs. And Amongst Women is due back soon.

3. Where will you be doing most of your reading? Wherever. Usually in bed as I nurse the toddler to sleep or in the early morning before she wakes up. But also in the car (as the passenger) or any bit of spare time.

4. Are you participating in the individual bingo or team game? Team. Maybe bingo, but I doubt it.

Visiting parents and the resultant lack of normal schedule with the kids, plus painting and yard work as we get the house ready to sell.

6. What are you most looking forward to with this read-a-thon? Just participating, really.