What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Book or play about a Jewish family continually paying bribes and "fees" on a train as they escape Germany in WW2

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Paisley | 9 comments I believe I read this as a summer reading assignment in high school in the late 80s. The story is about a Jewish family who are in the process of escaping Germany in WW2. Along the way, their 'guide' continues to have them pay bribes and fees that essentially removes all the money, jewelry and anything else of value they took with them.

I cannot remember if it was contemporary then or if it was already older.

Thank you!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
Gordon ~~
You can bump your thread every month or so. This brings your thread back to the top of the Unsolved Folder, where new eyes can see it.
Good luck!

message 3: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Paisley | 9 comments bump

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments How were they escaping? On foot? By train?

message 5: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Paisley | 9 comments I seem to recall that at least part was on a train because the story involved paying these outrageous fees along the way that slowly bilked them out fo the money they had before they were killed at the end.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40689 comments Mod
Gordon, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by Gordon (new)

Gordon Paisley | 9 comments I still haven’t found what I’m looking for. ☺️

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Do you think it was adult fiction?

Was there a particular main POV character?

message 10: by Gordon (last edited Jul 14, 2022 12:39PM) (new)

Gordon Paisley | 9 comments I don't recall a specific main character. I recall it was a family that was leaving their town to get to safety and all along the way, someone asked for a 'fee' or a bribe that was supposed to be the last one that would get the family out of danger and to safety. They gave up cash, jewelry, clothing, etc, in the hope that each time would be the last. Of course, along the way, as a reader, you realized that no one was really going to help them, but each 'helper' was really just another step in bleeding the family dry before they wound up in the concentration camp and their deaths.

I must have read it in High school, which would make it a pre-1990 publication date.

message 11: by Hope (new)

Hope (bonjovigirl) | 11 comments I don't think that it is When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit because they end up in England if memory serves me correctly. It is a young adult novel as well.