Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Incomplete Series Challenge > Sally doesn't finish series

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 11, 2018 09:18AM) (new)

Because I love not completing series (although not nearly as many as some folks)

Goal: Finish or abandon a series per new series started; end the year with 5 or fewer series in progress

Started: (Owing a finish/abandoned series)
Terry Brook's World & Void series
The Legend of the Sun Knight
In progress:

Evalyce Worldshaper Series - currently on #2: Lady of Wolves Abandoned...
Truth Series - starting #1 soon: First Truth Finished!
Queen's Thief Series - currently on #5: Thick as Thieves Up to date!
Gentleman Bastard Series - Made a false start several times on #1: The Lies of Locke Lamora
Pendragon Series - Didn't read book 7? 8? Must restart
Inheritance Cycle - Got stuck after #2, probably need to re-read
Naked Werewrolf Series - Need to find book 2!: The Art of Seducing a Naked Werewolf
The Riyria Chronicles - Aaaah Royce & Hadrian <3 Onwards, to #2: The Rose and the Thorn
Shades of Magic - Weirdly, I just discovered that this was a series. Read A Darker Shade of Magic ages ago.
King's Avatar (6/12) - Racing through, on to Heavenly Domain, hoping not to run out of translations
Harry Potter - Except in French, this time!

Up to date:

The Kingkiller Chronicles - Waiting for book 3, some novellas not read
The Numair Chronicles - Numaiiiiiir!! -Waits patiently for book 2. Please, Tamora Pierce
Queen's Thief - time to sit down for another 5 year wait. -fidgets eagerly-

Finished:

Damask Circle:
Circle of Fire (Damask Circle, #1) by Keri Arthur Circle of Death (Damask Circle, #2) by Keri Arthur Circle of Desire (Damask Circle, #3) by Keri Arthur
The Riyria Revelations:
The Crown Conspiracy (The Riyria Revelations, #1) by Michael J. Sullivan Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2) by Michael J. Sullivan Nyphron Rising (The Riyria Revelations, #3) by Michael J. Sullivan The Emerald Storm (The Riyria Revelations, #4) by Michael J. Sullivan Wintertide (The Riyria Revelations, #5) by Michael J. Sullivan Percepliquis (The Riyria Revelations, #6) by Michael J. Sullivan
Farseer Trilogy:
Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2) by Robin Hobb Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3) by Robin Hobb
Truth Series:
First Truth (Truth, #1) by Dawn Cook Hidden Truth (Truth, #2) by Dawn Cook Forgotten Truth (Truth, #3) by Dawn Cook Lost Truth (Truth, #4) by Dawn Cook

Abandoned:

Artemis Fowl - Dropped at #6. Artemis was more enticing at the beginning
Ender's Saga - Dropped after #1. Liked it, but not enough.
Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter - Dropped after #7. Too much smut, not enough plot.
The Kiesha'ra - Dropped after #2. Y-y-you can't just not follow Zane and Danica?! Switching protagonists? What is this madness?!
Peter Grant - Enjoyed book #1, not sure if worth continuing.
Night Angel Series - Dropped halfway through #2. Amazing series, but seriously dark world. Will pick up again, once I have a calming tea and a cozy tree to read under.
Evalyce Worldshaper Series

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 29, 2018 04:05PM) (new)

Complete - the Truth series (4/4)
Started - The King's Avatar light novel series (6/12)

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 31, 2018 05:56PM) (new)

Finished Lady of Wolves but dropping the series. The conflicts aren't very exciting, because as soon as the protagonist arrives, she solves them. There's something to be said for characters with faults

message 4: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3603 comments Mod
Good luck Sally. Maybe don't look at my incomplete list as it seems to grow rather than contract in this challenge.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Angela wrote: "Good luck Sally. Maybe don't look at my incomplete list as it seems to grow rather than contract in this challenge."
Haha thanks, Angela. It's actually kind of inspiring to see people reading a ton of series. Y'all can multitask so well! :P

message 6: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Enjoy.

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments Angela wrote: "Good luck Sally. Maybe don't look at my incomplete list as it seems to grow rather than contract in this challenge."

Same here. Good luck Sally.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 08, 2018 04:44PM) (new)

Thanks for the luck :) I'll need it...

Up to date with the Queen's Thief series (still fangirling over Eugenides)

Planning to start Terry Brook's Word & Void series soon (AKA the gateway to a stupendously long series). Either that, or re-reading Harry Potter...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Started reading The Legend of the Sun Knight before finishing my other ongoing series. Oops...

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 150 comments Good luck!
Rereading HP in another language is awesome. I'm curious if it reads the same.

What did you think of the Truth series, I'm interested in it. Although starting more series is not something I need to be doing right now

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Brittany wrote: "Good luck!
Rereading HP in another language is awesome. I'm curious if it reads the same.

What did you think of the Truth series, I'm interested in it. Although starting more series is not someth..."

So far, interestingly, the tone of the first book is captured perfectly, even in french. It has that distinct first HP book feel haha.

I really enjoyed the Truth series. It's actually one of my favourites, but some people find it rather slow. It's not super action-packed, and it's only really got 4 characters, but you get to know them really well, which is what I like. And due to its slow pace, the world has plenty of time to develop. I definitely recommend it if you're feeling patient! :)