Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Read-a-Thon #3 - Announcement

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Aug 22, 2018 02:11PM) (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The seasons are changing which means it's that time again. Our next read-a-thon is right round the corner! There's still a few months left in the 2018 challenge but it's the perfect time to catch up with any of your reading goals. If you're a reading ninja then you're probably caught up but we all still love that little extra reading time.

So, what we really mean is it’s always the perfect time for a read-a-thon! Read on for more information about what’s planned and how to join in.

How does this work?
If you’re new to read-a-thons, don't worry! They're very simple. You make a commitment to read as much as you can for a set period of time and then you do it. There will be games, challenges, and discussion associated with the event but, for the most part, it's about reading and camaraderie. This read-a-thon there will be both an individual and team challenge so get ready!

For our read-a-thon, we'll be committing to read as much as we can from Saturday 25 August - Monday 3 September.

How much do I have to read?
There isn’t a set amount you are required to read to participate. Many people choose to set personal goals for themselves but the idea is just to read as much as you can for the week and see what you end up with at the end. It’s all in good fun!

When is this happening?
As we have members in lots of different time zones, starting at the same time was a bit confusing so for this read-a-thon you can read all day (in your own time zone) on the first and last days.

START:
Saturday August 25. Starting whenever you get up.

END:
Monday September 3. Finishing whenever you go to bed.

How do I participate?
All you have to do to join up is to read! But read-a-thons are always much more fun if you participate in the games, join the discussion, and track your progress so we strongly encourage everyone to take part in that.

Where do I participate?
Keep an eye on this folder during the Read-a-Thon for updates, progress reports, and more! They'll start being posted closer to (and after) the event starts.

You can sign up now to join the team challenge. Please try to sign up by August 24 to give us time to plan the teams.

As usual, we'll be posting new games every 24 hours throughout the event in this folder but you'll have all week to join in if you missed anything. The discussions and games keep the event active and lively so, again, we strongly encourage participation. Come play along and have some fun!

message 2: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I'm sure some will notice right away, so I would like to point out that, yes, I changed the end date to September 3. I figured that would nicely include the Labor Day holiday here in the US.

Team Sign-up will be posted shortly.

message 3: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I'm in for the challenge. Looking forward to it!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm in too. I really enjoyed taking part in the read-a-thon #2.

message 5: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments I noticed that this says Sunday, September 3rd. The 3rd is Monday. Just wanted to clarify which day we are ending!

message 6: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8321 comments Mod
We are ending on a Monday to incorporate the US’s Labor Day holiday!

message 7: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Yes, it is Monday, September 3. I even double checked the dates so not sure what that was about :P

message 8: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2783 comments Are the threads Completed Books and Miles of Pages considered Games?

message 9: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8321 comments Mod
Pam, they aren't. They are just progress updates. The only games so far are the Getting to Know You and Kick Off.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2783 comments Emily wrote: "Pam, they aren't. They are just progress updates. The only games so far are the Getting to Know You and Kick Off."

Thanks Emily!

message 11: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
I am loving the Miles of Pages thread, such a great idea...I think its probably one of my favorites so far of all the read- a thons!! Love the map and the beautiful pictures and how its being tied into books..

Useful too for all of you working on your around the world challenges :-)

message 12: by Pam (last edited Aug 26, 2018 01:07PM) (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2783 comments I have 2 more questions-
1. On the worksheet, Is the page count cumulative? I think it is, but we haven't been doing it that way in group 1. For example, if you have 300 pages, box 1= 100, box 2=200, box 3=300. Is that correct?
2. Do audiobooks also count for pages. I assumed they did, but I see some members not listing pages only hours. Is it one or the other?

Thanks!

message 13: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I wouldn’t consider audio for both number of hours and audio hours. So if you count that time for audio hours then I wouldn’t also contribute pages to the count. I think it’s fine to determine the number of “pages” that youve listened to in order to add it to the “miles of pages” activity though.

I would guess that members would reach the audio goal before the page count goal so if you reach that goal and want to start counting audio as pages then that’s fine. Just not the same “reading” as both.

message 14: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Also, yes, the page count is cumulative. So if you’ve reached the higher goal then you’ve also reached the lower ones.

message 15: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2783 comments Thanks Laura!

message 16: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I'm glad to hear that people are liking Miles of Pages! :D It's a lot of fun to put it together too.

message 17: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
For the second board....Do we have to complete all of the tasks on the first board before moving on or can we start to work on tasks for the second board simultaneously?

message 18: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments You can work on them at the same time.