Challenge Corner discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Team Brave - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 276 (276 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (last edited Sep 01, 2018 10:13AM) (new)

Felicia | 15005 comments Mod

Team Brave:
JayReads
✔ Jennifer
✔ Jamie (TKR)
✔ Ruth
✔ Hanna
✔ Sharon
✔ Ashley O
✔ Jessica
✔ Brittany

Please check in with your team by September 1st! :D

Review Link
Spreadsheet Link
(Your ss was made for your convenience and teamwork. If you choose not to use it or prefer to make your own, that is your teams choice. This spreadsheet will not be updated by a mod it is strictly for team member use only. Please let Felicia know if you have any questions, but this should be self explanatory.)

For this challenge, we will be picking one overall winner to pick a book from the prize lists (chosen at random for fairness)! At the end of our Vacation Quarterly Challenge there will be one winner that wins a prize of getting to choose a book from bookdepository.com. They can pick any book up to $10. For this to happen, we will be combining the points from the two month Pageopoly challenge, this Disney challenge, and our Vacation Quarterly together to pick that winner.

message 2: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (last edited Aug 21, 2018 06:48AM) (new)

*****Each team will be given 3 characters (chosen using random.org). The teams then have to read four categories from those three characters. Once four categories for one character are completed, reviewed, and put on the teams review thread, a mod will then use random.org again to give the team a new character. Character categories cannot be repeated until all eight categories for that character are used on the teams review thread.*****

Characters:

Snow White
- Apple on cover
- White cover (must be at least 50%)
- Poison in title
- Features dwarves
- The number 7 in title or page count
- Group of people on the cover (more than 2)
- MC has black hair
- Features an evil step mom or a witch

Rapunzel
- Tower on cover
- Thorns on cover
- Over 500 pages
- Star(s) on cover
- Involves discovering something about yourself (true identity, powers, etc.)
- Read a book published in 2010
- Where a character was kidnapped (doesn’t matter what age)
- Character falls in love with a bad guy (villain or just the “bad boy” type)

Cinderella
- Blue cover (must be at least 50%)
- Dress on cover
- Glass on cover or in the title
- Read a classic
- Clock on cover
- A shoe on the cover
- A castle on the cover
- MC is a servant or a maid

Aurora
- Needle or wheel on cover
- Features fairies
- Features a royal family
- Read a fairy tale retelling
- MC lives with a foster family
- MC has blonde hair
- MC goes to sleep (must put page and sentence to count)
- Blue and pink on cover

Belle
- Yellow cover (must be at least 50%)
- Flower on cover
- Candle on cover
- Involving a curse
- Mc goes to a ball/club to dance
- Beast or Belle in title
- Someone is an inventor (doesn’t have to be the MC)
- MC has brown hair

Bambi
- Animals on cover (must be more than one animal on the cover)
- Trees on cover
- Involves hunting
- MC is a prince
- Shifter book
- Features a shy character (doesn’t have to be the MC)
- Brown cover (must be at least 50%)
- Title starts with B

Ariel
- Features mermaids
- Beach on cover/ shells on cover
- Takes place at sea
- Green cover (must be at least 50%)
- Involves transforming
- Water on cover
- MC sings
- Author’s first or last name starts with A

Aladdin
- Lamp on the cover
- Wish in title or in series name
- Features a Genie
- Tiger on the cover or as a pet
- 3+ colors on the cover
- Jasmine is the MC’s name
- MC goes undercover or uses an alias
- Involves traveling or flying

Tiana
- Set in New Orleans
- MC is a waitress or works in a restaurant
- Features a sorcerer (doesn’t have to be the MC)
- A book with a genre minority main character
- Frog on cover
- Title has to have F, R, O, G in it (in any order)
- MC plays an instrument
- Kiss in title

Simba
- Set in Africa
- Any animal in the title
- Best friends to lovers book
- Orange cover (must be at least 50%)
- Author’s initials must appear in SIMBA
- MC works with animals
- The word “King” in title
- Features a battle

Elsa
- Set during winter
- MC is a princess
- Tagged as family (must be on the first page to count)
- Snow on cover
- Queen in title
- Features a love triangle
- MC loses parents
- Character with magical powers

Mulan
- Set in China
- Involving a war
- Dragon in the title or on the cover
- Character in disguise
- Sword on cover
- Features an emperor
- MPG Historical Fiction
- Features a cultural tradition

Hercules
- Greek mythology
- Character has super powers
- Author’s initials must be in HERCULES
- MC must make a sacrifice
- MC gets reunited with loved ones at the end
- Published date ends with a 7 (for example: 2007)
- Fire on the cover
- Features MC getting backstabbed or betrayed

Pocahontas
- Wind in title
- Set in America
- Travel to another country
- MPG Romance
- Gold cover (must be at least 50%)
- Deals with Racism
- Features a grandmother
- Authors Initial must be in SMITH

Tarzan
- Authors initials must be in JANE
- MC is an orphan
- A book translated into english
- Umbrella on cover
- Features a monkey
- Set in either a Britain or Victorian era
- Takes place in a Jungle
- Ship on cover

Merida
- Book set in Scotland
- Scottish MC
- Character who uses a bow and arrow
- Features triplets
- MC has red hair
- Bear on cover
- Features a competition
- Word BRAVE in the title

Jamie  (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) | 102 comments Checking in.

message 4: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Checking in."

Checked you in chickie. :D

message 5: by Hanna (new)

Hanna | 267 comments here :)

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) Funny cuz my kid met merida this last week lollol

message 7: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Alaina (ameserole) | 63586 comments Mod

message 8: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Just a friendly reminder, each team will be given 3 characters (chosen using random.org). The teams then have to read four categories from those three characters. Once four categories for one character are completed, reviewed, and put on the teams review thread, a mod will then use random.org again to give the team a new character. Character categories cannot be repeated until all eight categories for that character are used on the teams review thread.

message 9: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Ruth has checked in via message to me. I will check her in. But I wanted to let this team know I have let her know to keep in touch with you all regarding the challenge when the start time comes. (:

message 10: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

I have edited all team spreadsheets to have the new members (if you have had someone new added) in there. If and when new members are added to a team they can go into their teams SS and use the instructions to add their name to their teams SS. :D

message 11: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new)

Jennifer | 3006 comments Mod
checking in!

message 12: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

HELLO EVERYONE! We, the mods, wanted to let you know some things for this upcoming challenge “point-wise”. So, for graphic novels they will ONLY count for 1/4 page points. Doesn’t matter what character you are on, they will just be page points. Screenplays or verses will count for 1/2 the page points. Then we wanted to be nice and creative because we think if you can find a retelling that fits the character that you are reading for - well, you get an extra point! If you have any questions about the upcoming challenge please go to our Q&A thread and a mod will answer your question in a timely manner 😊

Jamie  (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) | 102 comments Hey guys. I am starting my planning tonight.

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) wondering when we'll get our 3 so I can plan/organize heh I'm going in blind

message 15: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Hey guys. I am starting my planning tonight."

Look at my September books and read some with me! :D

message 16: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (last edited Aug 27, 2018 01:00PM) (new)

Ashley wrote: "wondering when we'll get our 3 so I can plan/organize heh I'm going in blind"

Sometime this week hopefully! :D

message 17: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Felicia wrote: "Ashley wrote: "wondering when we'll get our 3 so I can plan/organize heh I'm going in blind"

Sometime this week hopefully! :D"

Friday most likely

Jamie  (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) | 102 comments Felicia wrote: "Jamie (The Kansan Reader) wrote: "Hey guys. I am starting my planning tonight."

Look at my September books and read some with me! :D"

Sure can.

message 19: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new)

Well, I had a look at the books I plan on reading in September and a lot of them fit the same darn categories - I got a lot of trees on covers, dragons on covers, stars on covers, blue covers, green covers, swords on covers, set in America, and author's w/A name (Ariel). I'm sure once I start reading there will be a lot of orphans, curses, magical powers, kidnappings, and MCs betrayed; but I won't know until I start reading. I'm hoping that one of my characters will go to sleep at some point, maybe dance, sing, or wear a disguise undercover to fit one of the other categories.
I highly doubt any of them will have a monkey, but who knows!
LOL.

I hope a bunch of us will read the series starting with A Whole New World (A Twisted Tale #1) by Liz Braswell - as a series of retellings, I bet they will fit multiple categories.

Jamie  (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) | 102 comments By Thursday I will have my September planned and done. I'll post the link when I'm done.

message 21: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Jennifer. Remember you can use alternate editions and titles to fit categories. You only use the most rated for page count. This may give you more options for the books you read. 😁

message 22: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Well, I had a look at the books I plan on reading in September and a lot of them fit the same darn categories - I got a lot of trees on covers, dragons on covers, stars on covers, blue covers, gree..."

or you know.. don't read that series..

message 23: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Adding Brittany to your team! :D

message 24: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Mariampillai | 331 comments Hi there. I thought I checked in, sorry that I haven’t. Been kind of busy.

message 25: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new)

Alaina wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Well, I had a look at the books I plan on reading in September and a lot of them fit the same darn categories - I got a lot of trees on covers, dragons on covers, stars on covers, ..."

not read? as if that's an option

message 26: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Well, I had a look at the books I plan on reading in September and a lot of them fit the same darn categories - I got a lot of trees on covers, dragons on covers, st..."

Alaina has high hopes. Cause your team is going down! ;P

message 27: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Sharon wrote: "Hi there. I thought I checked in, sorry that I haven’t. Been kind of busy."

Gotcha checked in Sharon! (:

message 28: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Well, I had a look at the books I plan on reading in September and a lot of them fit the same darn categories - I got a lot of trees on covers, dragons on covers, st..."

IT IS.

message 29: by Alaina, Head of Monthly Challenges & Keeper of BR Threads (new)

Felicia wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Alaina wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Well, I had a look at the books I plan on reading in September and a lot of them fit the same darn categories - I got a lot of trees on covers, drag..."

nbahahahahahahaha YES

message 30: by Jamie (The Kansan Reader) (last edited Sep 04, 2018 09:13AM) (new)

Jamie  (The Kansan Reader) (thekansanreader) | 102 comments Ok so here's my list so far. I know I have it set up weird but it's the best way to help me. So again here's my list.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/...

Felicia I haven't had time to look at your September books but I will try to by tomorrow evening.

message 31: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Okie dokie. 😁

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Carlson | 29 comments Ahh guys I’m so excited for this!!!! Now. This is my first challenge and I hope to catch on. Just tell me what I got to do.

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) I'm waiting for our characters before I plan any reading - I have a few books that I want to read/have to, but only a few !

message 34: by Felicia, Head of Team Quarterly & BOTM (new)

Hi Team Brave! The time has come to announce the characters! Your team's characters are:

Snow White
Hercules
Merida

Please remember you must start your books after midnight GR time for it to count for a category.

Happy planning! :D

message 35: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) WOO *plans*

message 36: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new)

Yay! I added the books that I'm reading this week that fit those categories. Still plenty of spaces for everyone.

I'm hesitant to add in all my books for the month, as they fit multiple categories and we might not even get assigned those characters. How do you guys want to do the claiming? Should we just claim the categories we are working on currently, or ??

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) Depends how many are reading/how fast we read - i personally could probably finish one character out in a week/less - but theres more people than characters so it'd make sense to split them up .. we only need to do 4/character anyway

message 38: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) I pretty much have 4 for Merida, 3 for Snow and 3 for Herc - so when we figure out how to divide and conquer I'm ready lol

message 39: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new)

I just created another page in the spreadsheet to keep track of my upcoming books. I only claimed spots on the team page for the current categories and books I know I will read within the first week. That way (hopefully) no one is waiting on me and I'm not taking up a spot with a book that is planned for later in the month.

I agree that we should try to complete the characters within a week. If you have books that you will read this week under the current categories, go ahead and claim those spots.

If someone needs to switch things around, I am always willing to move my books around. I care more about team points than personal points, so just let me know if one of my books needs to be put somewhere else.

We start tomorrow!!! Yay!

message 40: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) That's actually a good idea - I understand it now lol I didn't go through and try to match books before we got characters - my brain would melt my fit ins are:

Snow White:
- White cover (must be at least 50%) – Lisence to Date
- Group of people on the cover (more than 2) – All for One
- Features an evil step mom or a witch – Sea Witch

Hercules:
- Author’s initials must be in HERCULES – His Semi-Charmed Life
- Published date ends with a 7 (for example: 2007) – Love is Eternal
- Features MC getting backstabbed or betrayed – literally any romance book ever

Merida:
- Book set in Scotland Seduction of a Highland Lass
- Scottish MC – Never love a highlander
- MC has red hair – Killing Katie
- Bear on cover – shifter romance

message 41: by Hanna (new)

Hanna | 267 comments I don't read fast so I think I'll just claim the spot for greek mythology for now if it's ok with you^^
I'm going to read Circe :)

Do I just put in on the doc?

message 42: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Shonce (brittanyshonce) | 25 comments Here!

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Carlson | 29 comments What’s my next step? I’m a bit confused.

message 44: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Carlson | 29 comments I have one book planned. For Snow White I have Room. I really wanna read it so I can watch the movie :)

message 45: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashezbookz) I think I’ll start in on some Merida books ...Hannah go ahead with your mythology and Jessica go ahead with room I assume for white cover in Snow White

message 46: by Hanna (new)

Hanna | 267 comments Ok thanks :)

message 47: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 9 comments This is my first challenge anyone help me please ! I can at least now comment.yay

message 48: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (last edited Sep 03, 2018 11:37AM) (new)

Hi Ruth and Jessica, and welcome!

I think the first step for you is to look at any books you have planned and see if they fit into any of the categories for our first 3 characters. If so, and you plan on reading any of those books this week, then enter them in the spreadsheet (the link is at the very top of this page). Then get reading! If you don't have any books for the current characters, no worries. Just keep reading and make a note of which categories they might fit in for future characters.

When you've finished the book and written a review, you'll need to post it on our review page to earn points for the team (link is also at the top of this page). If you need help doing that, one of us can walk you through it.

message 49: by Jennifer, Maker of BR Threads (new)

I just posted a book under Hercules! I'm finishing up one for Merida tonight and then I'll start on the other two I have for Hercules.

message 50: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 9 comments my plan is to read small great things next by Jodi piccoult whixh would cover snow white 50% minimum white cover however it was first.publisbed I paperback which I have I 2017 so could be used for thay too

« previous 1 3 4 5 6
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.