Start by marking “Isle of Blood and Stone (Tower of Winds, #1)” as Want to Read:
Isle of Blood and Stone (Tower of Winds, #1)

Isle of Blood and Stone

(Tower of Winds #1)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,105 ratings  ·  275 reviews
Ulises asked, "How can I look at these maps, see this riddle, and do nothing? They are my brothers."

Elias reached across the table and flicked aside two shells with a fingertip. The map curled into itself. "It's bound to be a goose chase. You know that?"

"Or a treasure hunt," Ulises countered, "and you've always been good at those."

Nineteen-year-old Elias is a royal explore
Published April 10th 2018 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Isle of Blood and Stone, please sign up.
Roisin Dubh The novel is high fantasy, with certain details that make me think of Portugal.

really liked it 4.00  ·

may ➹

After reading the first few chapters of this, I was really sure that it would end up to be your “average”, meh fantasy, with nothing horrible but nothing outstanding either. But I was surprised to find that it was actually even better than I thought!

Let me be real here: This has a lot of flaws. It is definitely not a perfect book. But the thing is:
IT WAS SO ENTERTAINING.

At first it was slow and kind of boring, and I couldn’t really connect to the characters. But then something changed a
Katerina Kondrenko
8 out of 10

Finally! Finally a good YA fantasy with a hint of a romance, a lot of adventures, mysteries and a nice pacing. People, just wait. I think you would love it too.
Carrie
Apr 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Isle of Blood and Stone by Makiia Lucier is the first book in the Isle of Blood and Stone duology. This series is a young adult historical fantasy with a touch of romance involved.

The story starts with the royal navigator Lord Antoni out on and excursion with a group including two of the young princes. As everyone in the group is setting down to eat and rest Antoni is gathering supplies to show the boys how to make a compass. After the wine is passed around however everyone in the group begins g
Yusra  ✨
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
that was the MOST satisfying epilogue ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rtc
Bitchin' Reads
Update 4/8/2018: After loving Makiia Lucier's A Death-Struck Year, I knew I would have to read any future books by her. And how fortunate for me, and what a wonderful surprise, when I picked up an ARC of this book at Yallfest and realized it was by the same insta-fave author who had me falling for Edmund in A Death-Struck Year. (It was clearly fate.) She has such an easy way with words, creating a world and characters rife with life I want more of. Just like in her debut novel, Isle of Blood and ...more
Kayla
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review was originally posted on GracelingAccountant.

Review on 11/5/2018
The first thing I wanted to talk about was the world building and writing. The writing was amazing and lyrical, and it was one of those books that just sucked you in from the get-go. She set us up a really amazing world, with a sort of beachy setting. I believe the main characters lived on an island called Del Mar, and the focus of most of the people there was related to the sea; so like shipbuilding, maps, treasure hu
Beatrice in Bookland
*I received a copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

DNF @32%

The beginning was promising, it was intriguing and it made me want to keep reading to find out what happened to the brothers. But, as soon as I got to the now part, I was so confused that I found myself reading the same sentence more than once or twice.

Why did I get so confused? Well, the author was trying to add some world building by
The Captain
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Ahoy there me mateys! So a recent theme for “Top Ten Tuesday” was “Books I LOVED with Fewer than 2,000 Ratings on Goodreads.” I don’t tend to do memes here in me log but I love readin’ the posts by me crew. Especially when they be fun topics which lead me to unexpected treasures. One such gem was this delightful book recommended by Breanna @ paws&paperbacks. In her post she says:

"I hadn’t read this yet when I wrote my post on the least hyped books that released last year, but I’m glad I incl
anna (readingpeaches)
book: how can i do nothing? they are my brothers
me: SOLD™
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

I know I usually start with the positives of a book, but today, I am starting with the negative. The reason is, there really only was one negative: I really just didn't feel a ton about this book either way. Objectively, it was good and the plot was pretty interesting. But it didn't leave any kind of huge impression on me, and I feel like that's probably an important thing.

But I did like
Alaina
I absolutely loved this book! I am also really happy that buddy wasn't mad at me for being so slow for starting this book with her. Thank you so much Andrea for making me buddy read books with you! I love your little updates and how you make me laugh.. even if the book we are reading is terrible and making you mad. Luckily for us, this book was really good! I feel like we zoomed right through it.

Isle of Blood and Stone was so freaking good! I loved it! Even though the pacing in the prologue kind
mith
4.5!! To rate up or down? I don't know!

But still—WHAT AN AMAZING BOOK. Gosh I love it. Review to come!!!
Austine (NovelKnight)
This book was provided by the publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

I'm so disappointed with myself because despite Isle of Blood and Stone being a well-written, interesting YA fantasy. . . I don't feel anything for it. Did it excite me? Eh, not really. Did I hate it? No, it was a good book.

This fantasy isn't a super action-packed adventure, taking a slower pace as the characters attempt to uncover a mystery that was left in the unknown for almost two
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
*3.25

One could fill an entire world with all the things we did not know.

I still have no idea what the "isle of blood and stone" was.

Full RTC
Sara (sarabara081)
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
You can find more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books.

I love anything with maps, exploring and adventure! It really brings me back to my childhood and everything I loved as a kid. The promise of those such things in the blurb for Isle of Blood and Stone grabbed my attention and I can honestly say I had a lot of fun reading this one!

The story revolves around the events that happened 18 years ago when there was an attack on a party of people that included two young princes, the Royal Navigator Anton
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
The cover is a huge bore, but the synopsis sounds fantastic and I love me a good mystery adventure so let's hope this is a good one!
Teresa
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
"We are responsible for no one's conduct but our own," (380).

At first Isle of Blood and Stone by Makiia Lucier felt like a meh book, nothing special, but boy did it surprise me when it reached a point in which I could not put it down!

It starts off with a mass murder of the royal family and their servants at a picnic. Eighteen years later, a map shows up. A map that can only have been made by Elias's father. A father who was supposedly killed at the picnic that day.

With current king Ulises, and l
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

*I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange of an honest review*

Full review originally posted on my blog: Word Wonders

TW: Death, gore, xenophobia, street harrassement, epidemic disease.

To be absolutely honest, when I first requested this book I hadn’t heard much about it (and I still don’t which is weird because I think it’s 10/10 worth the read) but the synopsis intrigued me, dead princes? Maps? A trio of friends? A treasure hunt type plotline? SIGN
The Nerd Daily
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on The Nerd Daily | Review by Holly Angus

A story filled with betrayal, suspense and lies, Isle of Blood and Stone is a new release you cannot pass up. This new young adult fantasy novel is set on the island of del Mar, where 18 years ago two young princes destined for the throne and many royal servants were killed in the forest of Javelin. A neighbouring island, Mondrago, was blamed for the murders, their king killed and their homes turned to dust all for revenge. Even 18 years
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
“Adventurer, two princes lost but not gone. Follow the path of the ancient mariners, Tramontana to Ostro. Look not to what is there, but to what is not.”

Yeah, I didn’t love this as much as I wanted which really seems to be the story of my life lately. I just know this is going to be a completely forgettable read for me. For so much of this story I just didn’t care, and I feel like a lot of it was because I wasn’t invested in the world. I feel like I didn’t know enough about the setting or t
Edna L. (thebooknymph)
3.5
Listen, island fantasy books are what I LIVE for. While I did enjoy this book quite a bit, the pacing fell flat for me. Certain parts of the book dragged on too much and I felt like this story could have been a lot more exciting than it really was.

The mc was fun at the beginning, but after a while he became pretty basic. The side characters (mainly Mercedes and Reyna) were amazing and I would love to see more of them.

I enjoyed the plot twist too, but nothing really stood out.
Andrea
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
I had my problems with this book, but I also really enjoyed it. I liked the characters and the plot/mystery pulled me in. AND THE MAPS!! I love maps!!!

Elias was a pretty easy character to like, yeah he has a temper, but it wasn't horrible. I think the main thing that annoyed me about him was his need to "protect" Mercedes and Reyna. Especially Mercedes, who is basically a spy master! SHE DOESN'T NEED TO BE CODDLED ARGH. I love fantasy books so much, but it really frustrates me that a lot of them
Carlos
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was easy to read and I think it will appeal to a more diverse audience, (people who like the fantasy, adventure, romance genre) . You get caught up in the adventure and you can't help but try to solve the puzzle with the main characters.
Katherine Moore
**Note: My full BLOG TOUR post can be found here:

When I read ‘Blood & Stone’ I felt like I was drawn onto an Mediterranean island and suddenly in the era of the great Leonardo da Vinci, when maps and exploration were paramount, and here, sea-dwelling creatures such as serpents are both feared as well as revered. There is such great imagery that is colorful and vivid; old-fashioned customs are used, such as leeches to suck out toxins from the blood (I l
Aila

Isle of Blood and Stone comes off to me as one of those quieter YA fantasies that are hidden gems. It’s not fast-paced, nor does it have tons of thrilling action. But the characterizations fuel the story as we follow on an 18-year old mystery that needs to be solved. Despite the sedate pace, I enjoyed the emphasis in the story on maps and following the political intrigue within St. John del Mar. There’s a marked focus on character relationships and heading into danger, as well as fantas
Olivia
Dec 24, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: fantasy
No-ooooooope, nopenopenope.

You lost me at "actual little girl spirits really do haunt that centuries-burned orphanage in the middle of the woods and they really do possess powers over the forest's elements and they attack the travelers because they mistook one word of their protection charm/spell thing". None of that demonic stuff in MY reading nook, thank you very much. ;-P

(Which is actually sad because I really was liking it very much up till then. Maybe I'll pick it back up at some point.)
Raquel Baggins
Feb 23, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNF @ 10% (Kindle Edition)

I wanted to give this a try since I have received an eARC copy of Song of the Abyss to review, and even though there are standalones, I prefered reading them in 'order'.

Nevertheless, the writing style and pacing weren't my cup of tea and I wasn't invested in the story at all.
Vicky Who Reads
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist

This book is just what I needed.

I know I've mentioned I've had a pretty ehh fantasy year so far and Ace of Shades was one of the first books to pull me out of that slump. But this is a book that's actually similar to all those books I've been trying (princes and mapmakers and all sorts of mystery) that is slaying!

Besides just loving the writing style--it's simple yet descriptive and makes everything clear in third person--I found it to just be really enjoyable in general to read.

The sto
Georgie
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: better-than-food
This book was such a satisfying read. It's so refreshing having a YA not solidly based on the romance between it's main characters.
Jess Crafts
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Um this book is amazing?!? Why is no one talking about it?!!

I want to start this review by saying that there is no way I am going to be able to capture just how much I loved this book. I’m going to try. Obviously. But just know that this book was even better than whatever I say, okay? Okay.

So 19 year old Elias is a mapmaker and royal Explorer and when two maps that seem to be made by his dead father appear with a riddle about the two princes who disappeared with him his best friend, the king, ta

• Songreaver (Songreaver's Tale, #3)
  • The Black Stars (The Planet Thieves, #2)
  • Nameless Queen
  • Blood and Sand (Blood and Sand, #1)
  • The Half King (Untitled, #1)
  • A Spark of White Fire (The Celestial Trilogy, #1)
  • The Deceivers (Vale Hall, #1)
  • Through the White Wood
  • Sword of Ruyn (Legends of Gilia #1)
  • Stronger Than a Bronze Dragon
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • City of Bastards (Royal Bastards, #2)
  • The Mage of Trelian
  • By a Charm and a Curse
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • Future Lost (Future Shock, #3)
  • Ride On
  • The Bird and the Blade
Makiia is the author of historical fiction and historical fantasy for young adults. She grew up on the Pacific Island of Guam (not too far from the equator), and has degrees in journalism and library science from the University of Oregon and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

Her debut novel, A Death-Struck Year, was called a "powerful and disturbing reading experience" by Publishers Weekly, an

Tower of Winds (2 books)
  • Song of the Abyss (Tower of Winds, #2)
“We humans are complicated creatures. There are so many in-betweens within us.” 4 likes
“One could fill an entire world with all the things we did not know.” 4 likes