What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Some of the Kinder Planets: Stories
This topic is about Some of the Kinder Planets
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA compilation of short stories read circa 1998. Title along the lines of "Somewhere on a Cleaner Planet". Included the story "What do Fish Have to do With Anything?" by Avi. [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian P | 5 comments One story involved a (Japanese?) family who lived in a biodome receiving a lost traveler, and another took place in Billings, MT, USA.

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy (northernsunshine) | 28 comments What Do Fish Have to Do with Anything?: And Other StoriesWhat Do Fish Have to Do with Anything?: And Other Stories

or Talk to Me and Other Stories

message 3: by bookel (last edited Aug 20, 2018 11:39PM) (new)

bookel | 2516 comments Searching the Avi story on worldcat.org brings up the list of contents.
It is the same book.

Talk to me
Originally published as: What do fish have to do with anything? Cambridge, Mass. : Candlewick, 1997.
Description: 149 pages ; 20 cm
Contents:
What do fish have to do with anything? --
The goodness of Matt Kaizer --
Talk to me --
Teacher tamer --
Pets --
What's inside --
Fortune cookie.

http://www.worldcat.org/search?q=kw%3...

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
Ian, this sounds like a likely solution. Is it your book? We love to have confirmation from the OP. Thanks!

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian P | 5 comments Forgot about my search for this book until my mother mentioned it in conversation earlier today: In particular she was thinking of the same short story I brought up regarding a family living in a secluded dome house. They take in some lost traveler or fugitive and serve him a dish of spicy Japanese pancakes which give him an upset stomach.
I'm nearly certain the anthology I'm thinking of did have the story "What do fish have to do with anything?" by Avi, but none of the other stories from his compilation of that name seem to fit what I remember. Avi's website mentions that he has contributed to various youth/YA short story collections but doesn't name them.
I do also remember the stories in my book having been written by different authors.

message 6: by Ian (new)

Ian P | 5 comments The traveler is wounded, fatigued or otherwise in a state of reduced mental capacity, and at some point the exotic food and the unfamiliar design of the house lead him to believe he's been abducted by aliens.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Some of the Kinder Planets kinda matches in terms of the title, but it doesn't seem to contain the Avi story.

Any chance you're mixing together two different books?

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian P | 5 comments Sounds like I did get these two books cross-threaded - I'll be checking out a copy of Some of the Kinder Planets as soon as my library opens on Monday to confirm. Thank you so much!

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36561 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of Some of the Kinder Planets: Stories by Tim Wynne-Jones - Rainbowheart's suggestion:

https://books.google.com/books?id=TQF...

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian P | 5 comments This is indeed the collection I was looking for, thanks all for helping to put this decades-old search to rest.

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Awesome news, glad to help out!