2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Eleanor Oliphant is Completely FIne

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Sep 09, 2018 08:11AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Gail Honeyman‘s book, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine.

Pages: 327

Length: 1 month

Participants: Ilona, Eirelyn, Susy, Shelia, Kaylee, Kayla, Joan, Dyln, Consuelo, Jen from Quebec, Kristin, Audrey, Aqsa, Binaifer, Erica

Everyone reads at their own pace during a Buddy Read. Because participants can be at different parts of the book at different times, it is extremely important to mark spoilers so that the book is not ruined for someone who is not as far along as others!!!

Mark spoilers by placing {spoiler} before the text and {/spoiler} after the text but use the < and > instead of the { and }.

Check out the introduction post (here) for more information about Buddy Reads!

You might also want to check out what other Buddy Reads are scheduled for 2018 here!.

Happy Buddy Reading!

message 2: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn | 297 comments So excited for this. My copy is right beside me waiting to start in a day or so.

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments I have it on hold, but I'm next in line, so I should (hopefully) have it soon! :D

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I'm starting this one today. I'm thinking it is going to be a fast read. I have high hopes since it seems like a lot of people liked it.

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I'm 44 pages in. Her character is definitely cute. I'd be further in if I wasn't so tired today. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow.

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I love the writing in this book. There is a lot of dimension to Eleanor's character. I'm so glad I'm finally reading this!

message 7: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 4241 comments I am planning to start somewhere this week!

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I'm probably going to finish this today or tomorrow. I'm finding it really good. I love the vocabulary in it. Eleanor's character is pretty good.

Consuelo | 190 comments I want to participate in this buddy read. I'm going to start this book today and I've big expectations.

message 10: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Still waiting for my copy....

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 24 comments I will be reading this one, also. (FINALLY--- I feel like this one has been 'on my radar' for a really long time). ---Jen from Quebec :0)

Consuelo | 190 comments I just finished the chapter 25 and the first part of the book. (view spoiler)

Audrey (audjvoss12) | 114 comments I am so many physical and e-books going right now, but I am pretty exclusively listening to this one. I am really enjoying the beginning so far. It's quirky and charming in its own way.

message 14: by Aqsa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments I'd like to participate in this one!

Audrey (audjvoss12) | 114 comments me too I forgot to say oops =]

message 16: by Binaifer (new) - added it

Binaifer | 10 comments I'd love to join this buddy read too!!

message 17: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Still waiting for my copy from the library....

Erica (ericareadslibros) Is this for the month of September? I just read this book in July. Could I still participate in the book discussion?

Audrey (audjvoss12) | 114 comments Spoilers if you're not up to chapter 8:

the fact that she had to restrain herself from drinking the hand sanitizer made me laugh out loud.
As a psych major who is interested in social work, I loved the part where the social worker visited her home and the dynamic of the foster care system and find her mom fascinating. I cannot wait to learn more about some of the details of that scene and about the accident/incident that left her with scars.
It's also really unique to get the humorous first-person perspective of a stalker...

message 20: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Erica wrote: "Is this for the month of September? I just read this book in July. Could I still participate in the book discussion?"

Of course Erica, the more the merrier! :)

message 21: by Susy (last edited Sep 08, 2018 12:37AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Audrey wrote: "Spoilers if you're not up to chapter 8:.."

Hi Audrey, glad you mentioned there would be spoilers, but please mark spoilers as instructed in the intro:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

My eyes keep glancing towards your post, and I'm trying hard not to read it lol

Audrey (audjvoss12) | 114 comments Oh, sorry! They’re like the vaguest, tiniest spoilers, so if you read it, it really won’t ruin anything. Lol

Audrey (audjvoss12) | 114 comments But will do in the future!

message 24: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I finished this one on Monday. I enjoyed it a lot. It will probably remain one of my favorites for awhile. I adored the vocabulary that was used in it. I had to look up several words which I find fun.

(view spoiler)

message 25: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 4241 comments I've just read the first 8 chapters and did book might just be the right one to get me out of my reading slump!

I am really enjoying Eleanor as a character and can't wait to find out more about her past.

message 26: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Ilona wrote: "I've just read the first 8 chapters and did book might just be the right one to get me out of my reading slump!
..."

I hope it will do that for me too! The Iliad has made me lose my reading mojo...

Audrey (audjvoss12) | 114 comments Ilona, we are in the exact same place!

message 28: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Consuelo wrote: "I want to participate in this buddy read. I'm going to start this book today and I've big expectations."

I have added you to the list!

message 29: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Jen from Quebec :0) wrote: "I will be reading this one, also. (FINALLY--- I feel like this one has been 'on my radar' for a really long time). ---Jen from Quebec :0)"

I have added you to the list!

message 30: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Kristin, Audrey, Aqsa, Binaifer, Erica - I have added all of you to the list of participants! Enjoy!

message 31: by Mary Pat (last edited Sep 09, 2018 08:14AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Audrey wrote: "Spoilers if you're not up to chapter 8:

the fact that she had to restrain herself from drinking the hand sanitizer made me laugh out loud.
As a psych major who is interested in social work, I love..."

Audrey, please be sure to mark spoilers! There are instructions in the first post of this thread. Everyone reads at a different pace so it is important to mark spoilers so the story is not given away for other readers! Thanks!

P.S. Read and replied to this post before I saw the posts between Susy and you! :)

message 32: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 4241 comments I finished it! I liked it, but found that it was a bit repetitive at some point. (view spoiler)

Hannah Cooper (hcooper) Hello everyone! I hope I am not too late to join in. I just started reading and so far I love it!

message 34: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Hannah wrote: "Hello everyone! I hope I am not too late to join in. I just started reading and so far I love it!"

Ah, I see you'd already found the thread :)
It's never too late to join! Welcome!

message 35: by Eirelyn (last edited Sep 13, 2018 03:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments I'm in the middle of chapter 8.

Eleanor's character is rather off-putting to me.

Her behavior during that whole scene where (view spoiler)

Also, when the old man (view spoiler)

I'd read that the author didn't want her to be portrayed as (view spoiler), but that doesn't mean you have to go the completely opposite route and give her such an unlikable, nasty personality.

I'm starting to feel a bit sorry for every single person she comes into contact with. I hope things start to change a bit because she's becoming a little difficult to read about.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 24 comments Eirelyn wrote: "I'm in the middle of chapter 8.

Her behavior during that whole scene where [spoilers removed]

Also, when the old man [spoilers removed]

I'd read..."

The character of Eleanor IS a unique one, definitely. She might be borderline asperger's or on the autism spectrum the way she acts/interacts socially with people. (Or rather, DOESN'T interact most often!) ---Jen from Quebec :0)
(PS) One thing I DO love about Eleanor, though, is her LOVE OF WORDS. She's forever doing crosswords and has a vast vocabulary and abhors 'internet speak' and misspelling on purpose online....I like a character that likes WORDS.

Plus, I find that because of this quirk of Eleanor's, that I as a reader am now paying more attention to the WORD CHOICES of the author in the writing, you know? :0)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Jen, I do agree about the vocabulary. I enjoy when an author is not afraid of using a vast lexicon. I'm reminded of an interview with the writer of Gilmore Girls, who was asked about the usage of such "big words" by her characters, and she said something to the effect of it being important to not "dumb down" the story for the audience because they're generally smarter than what most writers give credit for -- and anything they don't know, most will be curious enough to look up, and thus learn something new!

message 38: by Aqsa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments I'm 10 chapters in.
My thoughts:
(view spoiler)

Hannah Cooper (hcooper) Eirelyn wrote: "I'm in the middle of chapter 8.

I'd read..."

That's funny because I found her so hilarious and kind of fell in love with her. Her social cluelessness and the candid remarks she came out with that accompanied this trait were at most times so funny but often I even related to them.

I'm not positive where you are up to now but when she talks about (view spoiler)

message 40: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments Eirelyn wrote: "Jen, I do agree about the vocabulary. I enjoy when an author is not afraid of using a vast lexicon. I'm reminded of an interview with the writer of Gilmore Girls, who was asked about the usage of s..."

How are you doing with it now? I think this book will remain one of my favorites. I'm trying to read books after it but nothing is living up to my expectation so I went back to Harry Potter to finish reading the series. I've been in a bit of a book slump after Eleanor since I like it so much. Thankfully HP is bringing me out of it.

Rachelnyc | 170 comments This was the first book I read in 2018 and remains a favorite. I too lived the vocabulary and writing and thought Eleanor's character and backstory evolved beautifully.

I was a little put off by Eleanor in the very beginning and I was very glad she didn't end up being just another quirky character for the sake of quirkiness, if that makes sense. Not really a spoiler but (view spoiler) I still can't believe this is a debut novel and will definitely be looking out for this author in the future.

message 42: by Aqsa (last edited Sep 16, 2018 05:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments I finished it!
Here's what I thought!

Chapters 11-21
(view spoiler)

Chapters 21-30
(view spoiler)

Chapters 31-41
(view spoiler)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Kristin wrote: "The first 8 to 10 chapters in, I felt like Eleanor was so unlikeable I wasn't sure I wanted to continue on. Thankfully, this group and Rachelnyc in particular, encouraged me to keep going and I am ..."

Kristin, I am so happy you kept reading and are enjoying Eleanor more! I try not to overhype books to people, but I felt the same way you did about Eleanor early on so I got the sense you would appreciate her as you learned more about her.

Ugh, her co-workers! (view spoiler)

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Kristin, I was in the exact same boat. I was not enjoying the book very much for the first 10 chapters or so. Eleanor was incredibly irksome, and I simply didn't care to read about her at all. But there were so many great reviews & things said in here about the book that I decided to trudge on, with the hope that it would get better. I was not disappointed!

I don't know why I had initially expected this book to be (view spoiler) But then someone made a comment about how the book (view spoiler) so I kept reading. And I'm glad I did.

I was glad to finally see Eleanor start to (view spoiler) And I absolutely loved the (view spoiler)

In the end, (view spoiler)

message 45: by Susy (last edited Sep 23, 2018 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Eirelyn wrote: "I'm in the middle of chapter 8.

I'd read..."

Hahaha, I get what you mean, but that's what happens when a person has a completely different way of thinking/reasoning, it doesn't have to mean they have a nasty personality. I know it can be confusing as well as frustrating and irritating for the person she interacts with (as well as for herself, often not understanding other people and not being understood by others as well), but I'm loving to hear her thoughts (and find myself smiling quite often)!

message 46: by Joan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joan Barnett | 888 comments I thought this book had a lot of dimension to it. I wasn't originally interested in reading it because I thought it was a chick-lit book and I tend to not like them. Although I have thought about giving this genre a chance lately. I feel like my other genres are getting a little stale.

message 47: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Read the first 20 chapters today. It's going to be a fast read (though I have to look up quite a few of the words lol). Eleanor's thoughts often make me laugh, but there are quite some moments of sadness too... :'(

message 48: by Susy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susy (susysstories) Ok, so I read chapters 20-30 and found I had some difficulties with some of the details...:
(view spoiler)

I really do feel for Eleanor. We don't know the details yet, but (view spoiler) :'(

Eirelyn (ladyeirelyn) | 1244 comments Susy, I agree about the abruptness with which (view spoiler)

The end of that session had me (view spoiler)

I was thinking that Mummy did ask (view spoiler)

message 50: by Aqsa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aqsa (her_747) | 33 comments Kristin wrote: "I finished the book a few days ago. I ended up really liking it and am glad I persisted. I actually wrote something once I finished it, but sadly lost it. Note to self: never write a lengthy commen..."

Sorry you lost it. If you write anything lengthy even on the site, you could copy the text before hitting save. Happened to me several times.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.