What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Tempting Fate (Providence, #2)
This topic is about Tempting Fate
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Historical romance in which hero and heroine are childhood enemies and later they fall in love. There's also a ghost in the story. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Hey everyone I am looking for a historical romance book which I read about 1year ago. I neither can remember it's title nor the author. Please help me find this book.
So the story is :
Hero and heroine are childhood neighbours and enemies. They always try to prank each other and create trouble for the each other.
Heroine doesn't have a family but has a uncle who is cruel to her .
Heroine resides with the hero's family now but has to go the uncle's home in another place for some kind of party or gathering where everyone is rude to her and treats her as servant and also this party takes place every year or something.
So when heroine arrives at uncle's house she comes to hero has also come for the gathering on invitation.
In the uncle's house they start to get closer and fall in love.
In the house they comes to know that there's a ghost of a woman or maid who was wronged and died there.
So they investigate about it later come to know that heroine's uncle and his friends are responsible for her death.
Heroine's uncle dies just like the woman at last.

message 2: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Bump bump

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
Please note that you can bump your thread every 30 days, because the group is so large.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
Zoe, what's the time period and location - country, region, big city/small town?

message 5: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Kris wrote: "Zoe, what's the time period and location - country, region, big city/small town?"

I can't exactly remember the time but I think it was country (small town) . I think it was the time period dukes and earls.

message 6: by Kris (new)

Does anyone see the ghost of the woman/maid who was wronged? Or is she just mentioned (i.e., it's not a fantasy novel)?

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 5 comments The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson. Does that ring a bell?

message 8: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Elizabeth wrote: "The Black Arrow by Robert Louis Stevenson. Does that ring a bell?"

No, it's not the book I want.
Sorry!!!

message 9: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Kris wrote: "Does anyone see the ghost of the woman/maid who was wronged? Or is she just mentioned (i.e., it's not a fantasy novel)?"

Yeah they see or I think they feel her presence during the book and during the climax of book.
No its not fantasy book.

message 10: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 11: by Kris (new)

Does she go to live in England or Scotland? In her uncle's castle?

How old was the heroine when her parents died? How did they die? Were they rich/titled/poor?

message 12: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Kris wrote: "Does she go to live in England or Scotland? In her uncle's castle?

How old was the heroine when her parents died? How did they die? Were they rich/titled/poor?"

I think they live in England. Heroine is living in the hero's house as a guest or ward. Her uncle's castle or house is where the party is which is in country.
I think they were rich and had some title which was then inherited by the uncle. I can't remember other things.

message 13: by Kell I Am (new)

Kell I Am | 187 comments I don't recognize you description, but is it possibly something by Lynn Kurland? She has a lot of books that start with the MCs as kids, and a lot of books that have ghosts.

Hope this helps!

message 14: by Amber (Daisymau) (new)

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1437 comments I did a keyword search for uncle and ghost and found this book.

For Love's Sake Only by Laura Parker

I'm not sure who the ghosts are, but everything else matches.

message 15: by Zoe (last edited Nov 20, 2018 05:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments kelgar01 wrote: "I don't recognize you description, but is it possibly something by Lynn Kurland? She has a lot of books that start with the MCs as kids, and a lot of books that have ghosts.

Hope th..."

No she is also not the author whose book I was looking for.

message 16: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Amber (Daisymau) wrote: "I did a keyword search for uncle and ghost and found this book.

For Love's Sake Only by Laura Parker

I'm not sure who the ghosts are, but everything else matches."

Sorry but this is not the book I was looking for.

message 17: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Bump bump bump!!!

message 18: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 19: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 20: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 21: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 22: by Kris (new)

Do you think this book was published in the past few years (e.g., My Lady, My Lord by Katharine Ashe)?

message 23: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Kris wrote: "Do you think this book was published in the past few years (e.g., My Lady, My Lord by Katharine Ashe)?"

May be i am not sure when it was published. It's not
My Lady, My Lord by Katharine Ashe.
In the first chapter the hero and heroine are shown fighting each other and playing tricks on each other near hero's house.

message 24: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 25: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 26: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Bump bump bump

message 27: by Sycorax (new)

Sycorax | 87 comments A suggestion - if you go to the site Smart Bitches Trashy Books you can send them your description and they'll post it. it's a romance site and things tend to get identified quickly.

message 28: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Sycorax wrote: "A suggestion - if you go to the site Smart Bitches Trashy Books you can send them your description and they'll post it. it's a romance site and things tend to get identified quickly."
Thank you for your suggestion

message 29: by Kris (new)

What's the tone - romantic, angsty, steamy/clean, dark/gothic, sad/somber, funny at times, etc.?

Does anything in the Enemies in Love list look familiar?

message 30: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Kris wrote: "What's the tone - romantic, angsty, steamy/clean, dark/gothic, sad/somber, funny at times, etc.?

Does anything in the Enemies in Love list look familiar?"

Thank you for your suggestion.
The tone is funny, romantic and suspense.

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (innocent_sweetiepie) | 52 comments only thing semi close to that that I know of is to do with the highlands so it's prob not this book but you might enjoy this series' it's one of my favorites and I have re-read them lots of times it's called The Return of the Highlanders by Margaret Mallory....the first book in the series' called The Guardian is semi close to your description even the ghost part yet a little different...

message 32: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Nicole wrote: "only thing semi close to that that I know of is to do with the highlands so it's prob not this book but you might enjoy this series' it's one of my favorites and I have re-read them lots of times i..."

I'll surely read them.

message 33: by Brenna (last edited Oct 28, 2019 08:01AM) (new) - added it

Brenna | 564 comments Tempting Fate by Alissa Johnson? Unfortunately, I don't remember anything about a ghost or a party/gathering where her uncle's guests are rude to her.

I've copied and pasted parts of a review made by a person named Dina:

"When Mira was only 7 years old, her parents died in an outbreak of influenza and she was left in the guard of Lord Eppersly, an uncle she barely knew. It didn't take long until she realized that her guardian was a dissolute, debauched gentleman she should avoid at all cost. Luckily for her, Lady Thurston, one of her uncle's neighbors, decided to take Mira under her wings and basically raised her like she was one of her children. And that's how Mira became an honorary member of the Cole family... and a thorn on Whit's side.

No one knows exactly when Whit and Mira became "enemies for life" - and no one really cares, LOL - but their constant verbal sparring is a source of amusement for his family and friends......But danger lurks around when William Fletcher, the head of England's War Department and a friend of the Cole family, tells Whit he suspects that Lord Eppersly is involved in forgery and asks him to spy on Mira's uncle. Eventually, Mira joins Whit on that mission....."

message 34: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Brenna wrote: "Tempting Fate by Alissa Johnson? Unfortunately, I don't remember anything about a ghost or a party/gathering where her uncle's guests are rude to her.

I've copied and pasted parts..."

I think its the book I was searching for.

message 35: by Kris (new)

Here's the Amazon "Look Inside" preview of Tempting Fate by Alissa Johnson - Brenna's suggestion:

https://www.amazon.com/Tempting-Fate-... There are different cover images.

Should we mark your request as Solved?

message 36: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe | 61 comments Kris wrote: "Here's the Amazon "Look Inside" preview of Tempting Fate by Alissa Johnson - Brenna's suggestion:

https://www.amazon.com/Tempting-Fate-......"

Yes, please mark my request as solved.