The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 10.5 - Picking Up the Pen

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5366 comments Mod
10.5 - Picking Up the Pen

Read a continuation novel- a novel (FICTION) in the style of an established series, produced by a new author after the original author's death.The books are commissioned by the deceased author’s estate, written with its approval, and marketed using both author’s brand associations, such as:
Robert B. Parker's The Devil Wins by Reed Farrel Coleman
The Girl in the Spider's Web “continuing Stieg Larsson’s Millennium Series”,
The Gathering Storm “partially written by Robert Jordan before his untimely passing in 2007. Brandon Sanderson, New York Times bestselling author of the Mistborn books, and now Stormlight Archive, among others, was chosen by Jordan's editor--his wife, Harriet McDougal--to complete the final volume, later expanded to three books.”
To Protect "Authorized by the estate of Isaac Asimov"
New Hercule Poirot Mysteries "guardians of her legacy have approved.."

The continuation novel is NOT a retelling or format adaptation and it differs from fan fiction in its ‘official’ nature. It does NOT continue characters in the public domain, such as The Wizard of Oz or Sherlock Holmes, unless the work was commissioned or authorized, such as The House of Silk "For the first time in its one-hundred-and-twenty-five-year history, the Arthur Conan Doyle Estate has authorized a new Sherlock Holmes novel."

Required: The continuation should be evident on the GR book page or provide a reference.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (last edited Sep 11, 2018 01:00PM) (new)

Some ideas
Colonel Sun by Robert Markham continuation of James Bond series
Breaking Point (Tom Clancy's Net Force #4)
The Bourne Enigma "With permission from the estate of Robert Ludlum, Lustbader has continued writing Jason Bourne novels from where Ludlum left off in The Bourne Ultimatum."
Sidney Sheldon's After the Darkness by Tilly Bagshawe For the past six years Bagshawe, contracted by the estate, has carried on his [Sidney Sheldon] well developed characters and writing style.

Books in the Pern series written solely by Todd McCaffrey would work:
Dragonsblood "Now, for the first time, Todd McCaffrey flies alone. And Dragonsblood is proof that the future of Pern is in good hands."
Dragonheart
Dragongirl

Dracula the Un-Dead - "Bram Stoker's relative Dacre writes first authorised prequel to Dracula"

Hunters of Dune Frank Herbert's son, Brian Herbert, writing with Kevin J. Anderson, is continuing to establish the canon of the DUNE universe. This is being done with the full approval of the owner of the DUNE copyright, the Herbert Limited Partnership.

Before Green Gables authorized by L.M. Montgomery's heirs

SilverFin Between 2005 and 2008, Ian Fleming Publications has supported the publication of Charlie Higson's five Young Bond novels telling the adventures of a teenage James Bond in the 1930s.

Moriarty A sequel authorised by the Conan Doyle estate

Jeeves and the Wedding Bells Birdsong author to publish first ever authorised follow-up to beloved Bertie Wooster novels

And Another Thing... "Children's author Eoin Colfer has been commissioned to write a sixth instalment of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series."

Spider Woman's Daughter Tony Hillerman --> Anne Hillerman authorized by the estate

message 3: by SRC Moderator (last edited Aug 21, 2018 03:58AM) (new)

Ghost writers using the original author's name do not work- V.C. Andrews

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 717 comments Colonel Sun by Robert Markham will work? continuation of James Bond series?

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 1074 comments With Tom Clancy's passing, several authors have "picked up" his Jack Ryan series-will this work?

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18269 comments Mod
Ed wrote: "Colonel Sun by Robert Markham will work? continuation of James Bond series?"

Yes, that works.

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Joanne wrote: "With Tom Clancy's passing, several authors have "picked up" his Jack Ryan series-will this work?"

Yes, Breaking Point (Tom Clancy's Net Force #4)

message 9: by Bea (last edited Aug 19, 2018 04:34AM) (new)

Bea | 4265 comments Not sure what I will read, but I have The Bourne Enigma on my house shelf. Unlike GR listing, the cover title is actually Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Enigma, which can be seen on GR if the cover is enlarged.

Since Eric Van Lustbader is continuing the Robert Ludlum character, I think this would count. Would I need to correct the GR title, though?

message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4265 comments Another option on my house shelf is Sidney Sheldon's After the Darkness.

message 11: by Dlmrose (new)

Bea wrote: "Not sure what I will read, but I have The Bourne Enigma on my house shelf. Unlike GR listing, the cover title is actually Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Enigma, which can be seen on GR ..."

It works as is.
"With permission from the estate of Robert Ludlum, Lustbader has continued writing Jason Bourne novels from where Ludlum left off in The Bourne Ultimatum."

message 12: by SRC Moderator (new)

Bea wrote: "Another option on my house shelf is Sidney Sheldon's After the Darkness."

The works
For the past six years Bagshawe, contracted by the estate, has carried on his [Sidney Sheldon] well developed characters and writing style.

message 13: by Brooke (new)

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Brooke wrote: "The Girl in the Spider's Web works, right?"

It is an example in the task description

message 15: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1857 comments Can I check if a book in the Pern series by
Todd McCaffrey would work? He continued the series started by his mother.
Thanks

message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

Meg wrote: "Can I check if a book in the Pern series by
Todd McCaffrey would work? He continued the series started by his mother.
Thanks"

Some books in that series work. Books co-authored with Anne McCaffrey would NOT work. Sky Dragons

Books in the series written solely by Todd McCaffrey would:
Dragonsblood "Now, for the first time, Todd McCaffrey flies alone. And Dragonsblood is proof that the future of Pern is in good hands."
Dragonheart
Dragongirl

message 17: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments The Mystery of Three Quarters continuation of Poirot?

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Marie (UK) wrote: "The Mystery of Three Quarters continuation of Poirot?"

In the task description as an example

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim | 694 comments Will Dracula the Un-Dead qualify? It was written by a direct descendant of Bram Stoker, based on his hand-written notes.

Thank you.

message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Kim wrote: "Will Dracula the Un-Dead qualify? It was written by a direct descendant of Bram Stoker, based on his hand-written notes.

Thank you."

Yes,
"Bram Stoker's relative Dacre writes first authorised prequel to Dracula"

message 21: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 990 comments I am wondering about any of the V.C. Andrewsbooks published after her death that were ghost written by Andrew Niederman. These are entire new series, authorized by her estate.

message 22: by Diana (new)

Diana Keener | 799 comments I am wondering about the upcoming book Marilla of Green Gables. It's actually a prequel to the Anne of Green Gables series.

message 23: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3044 comments Does The House of Silk count? The summary says it has the main characters

message 24: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) How about the continuation of the Dune series starting with #7 Hunters of Dune, written by the author's son Brian Herbert and Kevin Sanderson? I had read that they used the author's notes to create the stories. For book #8, the GR metadata states "Based directly on Frank Herbert's final outline, which lay hidden in two safe-deposit boxes for a decade."

message 25: by Dlmrose (new)

Heather(Gibby) wrote: "I am wondering about any of the V.C. Andrewsbooks published after her death that were ghost written by Andrew Niederman. These are entire new series, authorized by her estate."

No a ghost writer will not work. They do not use the continuing author's name.

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

Diana wrote: "I am wondering about the upcoming book Marilla of Green Gables. It's actually a prequel to the Anne of Green Gables series."

I can't find any records of the novel being an authorized continuation. If you can find something, let me know.

But Before Green Gables - the prequel to the classic Anne of Green Gables was specially authorized by L.M. Montgomery's heirs to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the publication of the original novel.

message 27: by Dlmrose (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Does The House of Silk count? The summary says it has the main characters"

it is an example in the task description

message 28: by Dlmrose (new)

Pam wrote: "How about the continuation of the Dune series starting with #7 Hunters of Dune, written by the author's son Brian Herbert and Kevin Sanderson? I had read that they used the author's no..."

Yes, Hunters of Dune - Frank Herbert's son, Brian Herbert, writing with Kevin J. Anderson, is continuing to establish the canon of the DUNE universe. This is being done with the full approval of the owner of the DUNE copyright, the Herbert Limited Partnership.

message 29: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2749 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "The Mystery of Three Quarters continuation of Poirot?"

In the task description as an example"

OMG i get worse i missed that entirely - i AM going to get my brain out of the wardrobe before asking questions one of these days

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1437 comments How about SilverFin which is the first of the young James Bond series written by Charlie Higson? Here is what it says on Wiki:

Between 2005 and 2008, Ian Fleming Publications has supported the publication of Charlie Higson's five Young Bond novels telling the adventures of a teenage James Bond in the 1930s.

message 31: by Dlmrose (new)

Amy wrote: "How about SilverFin which is the first of the young James Bond series written by Charlie Higson? Here is what it says on Wiki:

Between 2005 and 2008, Ian Fleming Publications has sup..."

That works

message 32: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2168 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Does The House of Silk count? The summary says it has the main characters"

it is an example in the task description"

Am I right to assume that The House of Silk 's sequel, Moriarty, also works for this task?? Thanks

message 33: by Dlmrose (new)

Deedee wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Does The House of Silk count? The summary says it has the main characters"

it is an example in the task description"
Am I right to a..."

Yes, Moriarty A sequel authorised by the Conan Doyle estate

message 35: by Dlmrose (new)

Christi wrote: "how about Jeeves and the Wedding Bells?

Jeeves carries on in Sebastian Faulks's Wodehouse sequel
Birdsong author to publish first ever authorised follow-up to beloved Bertie Woost..."

yes, that works

message 36: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments To clarify, The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew don't work because their writers are a company pseudonym correct?

message 37: by Dlmrose (new)

Celeste wrote: "To clarify, The Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew don't work because their writers are a company pseudonym correct?"

correct

message 38: by Dlmrose (new)

Wayne wrote: "Would And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer work? Apparently, it was authorized by Douglas Adams' wife, but in reading the reviews, most people think it's little better ..."

Yes, And Another Thing... "Children's author Eoin Colfer has been commissioned to write a sixth instalment of the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy series."

message 39: by Laura (new)

Laura Fazekas | 171 comments Hello, would Spider Woman's Daughter work? "The novel continues her father Tony Hillerman's popular Jim Chee/Joe Leaphorn series. " From some of the other answers, it sounds like continuations by family members/descendants would count, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

message 40: by Dlmrose (new)

Laura wrote: "Hello, would Spider Woman's Daughter work? "The novel continues her father Tony Hillerman's popular Jim Chee/Joe Leaphorn series. " From some of the other answers, it sounds like co..."

Spider Woman's Daughter yes, authorized by the estate

message 41: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (celesteryr) | 373 comments Question? I already know that the continuations stated above must be for someone who has died. But I'm wondering if just for continuation novels, by a different author that was approved by the first author if this would work, in case you have something like this again. IDK for novels, but graphic novels and manga do have this sort of "living continuance" approval for certain doujinshi etc.
Tired of Waiting For Love is a related(#2) novel to It's Only Love (#1) which was originally by Saki Aida.

message 42: by Dlmrose (new)

Celeste wrote: "Question? I already know that the continuations stated above must be for someone who has died. But I'm wondering if just for continuation novels, by a different author that was approved by the firs..."

That won't work for this task.

message 43: by Kayla (new)

Kayla Calhoun | 211 comments Would I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara work? The author died and the book was completed and published by her husband.

message 44: by Dlmrose (new)

Kayla wrote: "Would I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara work? The author died and the book was completed and ..."

No, a continuation novel must be fiction.