TASK HELP: Fall Challenge 2018 > 10.1 - These ARE the Droids You're Looking For

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 5349 comments Mod
10.1 - These ARE the Droids You're Looking For

Read a nonfiction book about robotics.
OR
Read a FICTION book with a robot, android or cyborg as an important character.
For this task:
> A robot is a machine capable of moving independently (as by walking or rolling on wheels).
> An android is robot designed to resemble a human.
> A cyborg (cybernetic organism) is an entity with embedded organic and mechanical parts, so human/mechanical hybrids such as Helva in The Ship Who Sang work.
ex. The Robots of Gotham, Head On, Your Robot Dog Will Die, Defy the Worlds
Required: If the robot/android/cyborg is not identified in the book description include a reference when you post.

message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Book Concierge (last edited Aug 18, 2018 07:51PM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3975 comments Does Asimov's work qualify?
I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) by Isaac Asimov
From description it's a collection of short stories ... here's the last paragraph:
Here are stories of robots gone mad, of mind-read robots, and robots with a sense of humor. Of robot politicians, and robots who secretly run the world--all told with the dramatic blend of science fact and science fiction that has become Asimov's trademark

message 6: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18251 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Does Asimov's work qualify?
I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) by Isaac Asimov
From description it's a collection of short stories ... here's the last paragraph:
Here are stories of robots gone mad, of mind-read robots, ..."

Yes, that works

message 7: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1695 comments Would this graphic novel be acceptable?

The Terminator: 2029-1984

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Wanda wrote: "Would this graphic novel be acceptable?

The Terminator: 2029-1984"

yes

message 9: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2747 comments would The Windup Girl work

message 10: by Dlmrose (new)

Marie (UK) wrote: "would The Windup Girl work"

From the description of a "windup" as a genetically modified human, it might not work. Do the modifications include mechanical parts?

message 11: by Marie (UK) (new)

Marie (UK) (mazza1) | 2747 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Marie (UK) wrote: "would The Windup Girl work"

From the description of a "windup" as a genetically modified human, it might not work. Do the modifications include mechanical parts?"

i don't know it was one i saw on a robots list and it is in the library - I might just read it and use for something else if it doesn't fit here

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2570 comments Can I recommend the Murderbot stories here! (All Systems Red, / Artificial Condition / Rogue Protocol)
very very good!

message 14: by Dlmrose (new)

Jamie wrote: "Will this work for the nonfiction book? Thanks.

The New Cool: A Visionary Teacher, His FIRST Robotics Team, and the Ultimate Battle of Smarts"

yes

message 15: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1430 comments Will this work? The main character is AI, but it sounds like he engineers a robot rebellion.

Robopocalypse

message 16: by Dlmrose (new)

Amy wrote: "Will this work? The main character is AI, but it sounds like he engineers a robot rebellion.

Robopocalypse"

That would work

message 17: by Bridgit (last edited Aug 25, 2018 02:41PM) (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments Does Altered Carbon work? Peoples consciousnesses are downloaded into a 'sleeve' body? or We Are Legion (We Are Bob) - where a guys consciousness is uploaded into an AI on a spaceship.

message 18: by Dlmrose (new)

Bridgit wrote: "Does Altered Carbon work? Peoples consciousnesses are downloaded into a 'sleeve' body? or We Are Legion (We Are Bob) - where a guys consciousness is uploaded into an..."

Does Altered Carbon work? Peoples consciousnesses are downloaded into a 'sleeve' body?

Are the "sleeve-bodies" mechanical? From the reviews it does not appear so.

We Are Legion (We Are Bob) looks to be a human/machine hybrid, if so, it works.

message 19: by Foxy Grandma (new)

Foxy Grandma (foxygrandma) | 1017 comments Will Scarlet work?

message 20: by Dlmrose (new)

Foxy Grandma wrote: "Will Scarlet work?"

yes

message 21: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2162 comments Would Silently and Very Fast work? The description says A mysterious machine entity called Elefsis ..... Scrolling through the goodreads users reviews, like Lyn's, one sees comments stating: Featuring an artificial intelligence’s recollections of living with and being a part of a multi-generational family..... I am currently reading this short novel and I agree with Lyn's comment. Thanks for checking!

message 22: by Dlmrose (new)

Deedee wrote: "Would Silently and Very Fast work? The description says A mysterious machine entity called Elefsis ..... Scrolling through the goodreads users reviews, like Lyn's, one sees comments..."

Does the AI fit one of the definitions? If is is mechanical it would need to fit the robot or android definition: "capable of moving independently (as by walking or rolling on wheels).

message 24: by Dlmrose (new)

Marie (UK) wrote: "would Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? work"

yes

message 25: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Oct 03, 2018 08:03AM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 244 comments Would Stars Above work?
I'm mostly checking because it's collection of short stories and not all of them have cyborg or android.

message 26: by Dlmrose (new)

❀Tea❀ wrote: "Would Stars Above work?
I'm mostly checking because it's collection of short stories and not all of them have cyborg or android."

If several of the stories have a robotic character it would work

message 27: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 244 comments Great. Thanks.
I think it's half of them that have them in.

message 28: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1698 comments Will Wildcard (Warcross #2) work?

I've read it and it's a BIG (view spoiler)

message 29: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 14, 2018 04:23AM) (new)

Tien wrote: "Will Wildcard (Warcross #2) work?

I've read it and it's a BIG

..."

It sounds like it might work. You'll need to include a reference when you post since the connection isn't in the description.

message 30: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 1698 comments Thanks, Dlmrose.

Um, you've accidentally showed the spoiler in your reply... you may wish to remove it? :)

message 31: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1833 comments Hi, would Sleeping Giants work? The robot is not really a character (at least not yet), but the book centres around finding and putting together a robot.

message 32: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 28, 2018 04:37AM) (new)

Meg wrote: "Hi, would Sleeping Giants work? The robot is not really a character (at least not yet), but the book centres around finding and putting together a robot."

Does the "robot" fit the definition? " A robot is a machine capable of moving independently" From the description:"the mystery of the bizarre artifact remains unsolved - the object's origins, architects, and purpose unknown." If it isn't assembled/able to move then it doesn't work.
If it is still an "object" then it isn't a robot.

message 33: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1833 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Meg wrote: "Hi, would Sleeping Giants work? The robot is not really a character (at least not yet), but the book centres around finding and putting together a robot."

Does the "rob..."

I can't tell from the couple of chapters I've read so far. I better not risk it this close to the end of the season!