EPBOT Readers discussion

Reading Challenges 2018 > Week 33 Check In

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 895 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

How is everyone this week?

Sorry I didn't get this posted yesterday, i got really busy!

This week I finished Kushiel's Chosen, which I'm counting for ATY's book involving a deadly sin. The main character is a courtesan, so I'm calling that "lust", plus there was treason based on pride and greed, and the wrath of a goddess so I figure it counts.

iZombie, Vol. 1: Dead to the World and iZombie, Vol. 2: uVampire which I'm read just for fun as a break in between my heavy currently reading load.

Currently reading: The Mysteries of Udolpho - ATY gothic literature, it's long and very wordy. We'll see if I can get through it.

Not That Bad: Dispatches from Rape Culture - Read Harder essay anthology. This one is hard to get through, only reading a couple stories at a time then I need a break. I feel like it's important to read though so trying to get through it.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle - audio book for ATY book that scares/intimidates you. I don't really like reading straight up horror, and I don't really have the mental bandwidth to tackle another long, dull classic right now. So I'm going for creepy instead of scary.

QOTW:

Has anyone tried a reading service, beyond the library? Such as kindle unlimited, Scribd, those reading serial aps etc. Do you like them?

I haven't tried any yet. I've considered kindle unlimited, it seems like a lot of books I check on end up being part of the program. However with reading challenges, book clubs and the like I end up looking for specific books a lot, and always have books on hold at the library. I'm always uncertain if I'd really use that particular service often enough to justify the cost. Plus I'm prone to buying humble book and comic bundles, so I have a huge pile of owned but unread books, so I feel like I should get through some of those when I have non-challenge reading come up.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 207 comments Mod
Hello everyone,

I'm a much happier reader this week, having decided to DNF the book I was reading for the "animal in the title" prompt and instead taken up reading The Essex Serpent. This is a fairly gorgeous, late Victorian tale of a recently widowed, highly intelligent woman who was horribly abused by her husband and is now learning how to find freedom and happiness again (and realizing just how distorted her relationship made her view of happiness seem). There's lots of other interesting characters along the way as well as a possible sea beast. I'm chugging through this one pretty quickly and really enjoying it.

I'm STILL listening to A Scanner Darkly--I have about 1.5 hours left in the book, so will likely finish it up this weekend. The more I listen to this book, the more I really feel a deep appreciation for how well-written it is, even if I don't always love the subject matter, and I really don't like some of the characters (but I think that's the point). Anyway, I would definitely recommend this book if you don't mind books written about the future where the future is now in the past (e.g., writing about the 1990s in the 1970s) and there are still a lot of unpleasant ideas (i.e., misogyny) kicking around. For me, the good of the book outweighs this factor. I also learned from Sheri last week that there's a pseudo-animated movie of this book, which came out in the mid-2000s and starts Keanu Reeves, Robert Downy Jr., and Wynona Rider, so I look forward to watching that when I'm done.

Speaking of watching movies, I watched Capote this week, which I've been meaning to do since I read In Cold Blood earlier in the year as my True Crime prompt. It answered a lot of questions about how the book was researched. It's hard to believe an author would get that kind of access to source information these day. It was a really fascinating movie. I remember Phillip Seymour Hoffman wining a Golden Globe or Oscar for this when the movie came out, and I can definitely see why.

QOTW: I do occasionally consider book subscription services, but mostly for audiobooks as my library has a terrible habit of getting the first book in a series and not the rest, and then I'm forced to decide whether or not to shell out the $ for the rest of the series. So far, though, I don't feel like the cost of the service is a good value for listening to only 1 audiobook a month, which is about what I average. Other than that, I feel like I have enough access to digital books through my library that I don't need to pay a for another type of service.

message 3: by Daniele (new)

Daniele Powell (danielepowell) | 170 comments Not a whole lot to report this week. Business has been booming so I haven't had much time, which is a little frustrating given I'm only five books away from completing the Popsugar challenge! Part of the problem is I've identified books for the remaining prompts, and they're all books I physically own or e-books, and lately, I've been going through a lot of audiobooks when I run or drive. Anyway, onward!

I listened to Binti for a book by an author of a different ethnicity. Enjoyed it, but it was so short! Must go looking for the next book in the series...

I restarted A Clash of Kings for a book with twins. I keep wanting to get through the books before the next season comes out, even though I know the two diverge increasingly over time. We'll see how that goes.

QOTW: I've considered Kindle Unlimited too, but between Overdrive access through my university library, BookBub, and my fondness for book fairs, I don't think I need it quite yet ;)

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan LoVerso | 322 comments This week I finished As Bright as Heaven. I enjoyed it. It is about a family that moves from rural PA to Philadelphia in the WWI era. That is the time when the Spanish flu hits hard as well and that is central to the story. Each chapter is told from the POV of one of three daughters or the mother. I am glad I read this book and it is likely not one I would have read otherwise.

QOTW: I have never used a service with the small exception of the Book Of The Month club that I received as a Christmas gift for 3 months earlier this year. The book I finished this week was one of my BOTM selections and I would not have read it otherwise but I'm very happy I did.

message 5: by Cara (new)

Cara | 4 comments This week I finished the second in the Misborn series, The Well of Ascension. I don't think it works for any of the challenges, but I finished the first one and couldn't resist reading the second right away. Then a book come up from my holds in the library, so I'm reading the next in the Ranger's Apprentice series, Erak's Ransom. Again, I don't think this will count for a challenge. It's good to have something light though, because I am T.I.R.E.D. Between my new job and school starting, I'm pretty much done by the end of the day, and I can't really handle anything terribly deep at the moment. I will probably start a book set at sea for my next one.

I've never done a reading service. I thought about Kindle Unlimited, but a lot of the books aren't the ones I want, and I've been doing pretty well with my local library.