Start by marking “Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)” as Want to Read:
Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7)

Erak's Ransom

(Ranger's Apprentice #7)

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  45,505 ratings  ·  1,382 reviews
In the wake of Araluen's uneasy truce with the raiding Skandians comes word that the Skandian leader has been captured by a dangerous desert tribe. The Rangers - and Will - are sent to free him. But the desert is like nothing these warriors have seen before. Strangers in a strange land, they are brutalized by sandstorms, beaten by the unrelenting heat, tricked by one tribe ...more
Unknown Binding, 441 pages
Published November 1st 2007 by Random House Australia (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Erak's Ransom, please sign up.
Juny Actually in an authors note, John Flanagan was almost done with book 6 when he realized that he left out an important part in Will'l life, ooops....…moreActually in an authors note, John Flanagan was almost done with book 6 when he realized that he left out an important part in Will'l life, ooops.... anyways he had already started on this adventure, sooo.... that my friend is why he went back in time :) (less)

·  45,505 ratings  ·  1,382 reviews

Ahmad Sharabiani
Erak's Ransom (Ranger's Apprentice, #7), John Flanagan
Erak's Ransom is the seventh novel in the continuing Ranger's Apprentice series by Australian author John Flanagan. The book was released in Australia on 1 November 2007 and in the United States on 5 January 2010. Erak's Ransom is set between book 4: Oakleaf Bearers and book 5: The Sorcerer of the North.
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سی ام ماه دسامبر سال 2015 میلادی
عنوان: آزادی ایراک - جنگاوران جوان کتاب هفتم؛ نویسنده: جان فلنگان؛ مترجم: فائزه اثناعشری؛
Chichipio
Jan 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
It would have worked great as a fifth book. As a seventh, however, loses major points.

First, you have to get over the fact that you won't get to know what happens after the end of book six for a while longer.

Then, once you start warming up to this story, you realize that there's no sense of urgency to it. It's not because any fault with the writing, but because you already know how things are going to turn up for the characters.

For example, at Tug's disappearance, nobody could have any doubts t
Thais
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was the first book in the series that I was disappointed in. If it had been placed in it's proper sequence according to the timeline of the other books, it would be read before book 5. Flanagan goes back in time to tell a story before Will becomes a full fledged Ranger. If it had been placed before book 5, I wouldn't have been disappointed. However, I felt that there were certain elements that would have been referred to in book 5 and 6 that couldn't because this book hadn't been written ye ...more
Kathleen
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the best in the series, set in Arabian lands called Arridin and reminiscent at times of the movie Hidalgo. It's quite heartwarming, yet also heartbreaking. Lots of action, some battle scenes with clever tactics, etc.

This book features some poignant horse scenes (Tug, Arrow, etc.). Main characters are Will, Halt, Gilan, Horace, Princess Cassandra, Erak and Svengal the Skandians, Setheren the Arridin leader (the Wakir), and Umar ib’n Talud, Aseikh of the Khoresh Bedullin tribe..

I loved thi
Cordelianne
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book can better be read before book 5, because now I already knew how the book ended. Nevertheless this book was a lot of fun and I loved that they went on a journey with all my favorite characters in a new place!
Tricia Mingerink
This is my favorite of the whole Ranger's Apprentice series. I'm not totally why. Maybe because I love the horse race part. Just awesome. :)
Polly
Will the Ranger meets Lawrence of Arabia, and a good time is had by all (well, except for a little being chained to camels and almost beheaded, etc)! No, not really Lawrence, but definitely Arabia, and the book is much the better for a little touch of exoticism and the lack of rain (I don't know why, but whenever I think of this series, I picture a guy with a longbow standing in drizzling rain). I got kind of tired of the series last year, but had a yen to pick it up again, and I'm glad I did. I ...more
Connor
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
This just needs to be read in between books 4 and 5. I'm rating this book as if I had read it in its proper place. It is exactly what I wanted. It had such a happy-sad feeling that would be a perfect transition to the books where Will is on his own. Loved it, and I am loving this series!
Dana
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well well well, that went too well. It was fantastic in fact! One of my favorites in the whole Ranger's Apprentice series <3
Erak's Ransom is:
*Cute! (Halt's wedding, sweet remarks between Halt and Lady Pauline, Horace and Gilan, Will's graduation)
*Adventurous! (I just love how the adventures take place in different landscapes and countries: Celtica, Lands of Rain and Night, Skandia, Gallia, Arrida -I'm not sure the spelling is correct. The characters have experienced the freezing climate of
Marjolein
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

It has been a year since I read the sixth book in the Ranger's Apprentice series and since I was looking for an Australian author to read for the Southern Hemisphere reading challenge, it seemed the perfect moment to pick this series up.

For this book I've made the change from reading it in Dutch, to English. This caused little problems (it took me quite some time to realize that Horace is Arnaut from the Dutch books), but after
Alex
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Okay, first, this book is non-chronological with the rest of the series so-far. it doesn't offer any spoilers or anything really of value where it is in sequence (out-of-chronology), so I'd suggest reading the books in this order (so far)

1-2-3-4-7-5-6

I'll edit my book 5 review to reflect that as well..

..anyway, I really liked this book as well. As I've said on all the other ones in this series, it's candy fiction. It's not deep, but it sure is fun.

This one takes place in a north-africa-type set
Dan
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, adventure, fantasy
The best, so far, in this enjoyable series.
cindy
Well...well... looks like Will &co. were loooong way from home in this 7th book... Get trapped on sand storm, lost direction and half dead on vast dessert, wagering Tug on Bedullin tribe's race and Halt nearly beheaded? What went wrong here? Wait a minute, where were they actually?
(By the way, story wise it was between 4th and 5th book, so I read this before the 5th, but it was the 7th book of the installment)

(view spoiler)
Gillian
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Negar
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
بعله. اول اینکه بگم، بعد از اینکه اینقدری که من این کتاب رو خوندم یه کتاب رو بخونید، آخرش یه سری عیب پیدا می کنین که باعث بشه کتاب پنج کامل نشه.
ولی من اینقدر با کل این مجموعه خاطره دارم، اینقدر که تموم شخصیت هاش برام عزیزن، به جز پنج چیز دیگه ای نمی تونم بدم بهش.
اصلاً بشینم خاطره ها رو تعریف کنم یه سه چهار سالی طول می کشه. :)

این کتاب داستان ویله که سال آخر کارآموزیش رو می گذرونه. داستان ویل که پنج سال گذشته رو همراه هلت و با پشتیبانی اون گذرونده و حالا مجبوره به زمانی نزدیک بشه که مسئولیت های
Loralee
Jul 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's not To Kill a Mockingbird or Lord of the Rings. But for what this book is supposed to be, a YA fantasy novel, it's brilliantly put together. Good sound plot, memorable characters, satisfying action scenes, near-death in the desert, traitors, bargaining, horse-racing, archery, and a princess with a sharp turn for bargaining--as well as a mean slingshot. The quality of this novel is even more remarkable considering this is the seventh book in the series, although the author has wisely tackled ...more
Lila Kims
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know much I like this book butting into the series to mess up the chronology, but when I think about all the amazing, wonderful things that happen (AND THAT ENDING OHMIGOSH I LOVE!!!) I can understand it. Flanagan put a lot of thought into this special Ranger's Apprentice book, and it's totally worth the twisted chronology. Whatever you do, don't skip it!
Brianne
Feb 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the ranger's apprentice series. But for the last few books I haven't really been feeling it, where the plot was going.

This goes back in time in comparison to the last two books by being in the time period when Will is still an apprentice. I thought that this bridged the gap nicely and I am ready for the next one in the series.

The characters are much the same as they have been before, and it seems that all the actions are kind of shallow. But Will goes through some really trying times. T
Jocelin
It's a wobbly 3 stars. I was really disappointed in this entry in the series. It was based around the capture of a an old friend ( almost adversary ) Erak one of the Skandians from previous books. The problem was the focus was mainly on the rescue and then trouble that the team of heroes get into and not the captive. The one thing that did save this book for me was the horse race in the desert. It was a brief race but it was thrilling.
The author did state that this entry in the series went back
Adrielle
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Nothing but love. I adore the characters in this series. Yes this novel falls out of order but that doesn't mean it is any less meaningful. I like it as much, if not, even more than a number of the others in this series.
Rebecca
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads, fantasy
This book was a big relief! After reading the sixth and seventh in this series and being greatly disappointed I had low hopes for this one but it was totally awesome! SO exciting and funny and fast paced, it gives me hope for the rest of the series!
Maedeh
Mar 21, 2017 marked it as to-read
خوب اخرین جلدی که از این کتاب رو خوندم موقعی بود که سوم دبیرستان لودم الان خیلی گذشته و از موضوع اصلیش هم دور شدم!حالا ایشالله سر فرصت اینو میخونم!
الان عیده ترجیح میدم چیزیو بخونم که بتونم سریع باهاش ارتباط برقرار کنم نه کتابی که اسم نصف شخصیت هاشو دیگه یادم رفت!
Kimberley doruyter
i didn't enjoy it that much because i had already read books 5 and 6 so the suspence was tiresome and i already knew everything would be oke.
Irene
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Upper elementary and middle school readers; fans of fantasy
Shelves: children
Oh, I liked this book quite a bit! My 5th grader and I read it as a read-aloud, maybe that added to my enjoyment.

I was tipped off by other readers that this book - Book 7 - actually chronologically follows Book 4. It says as much in the Author's Note, but you'd never know if you were just reading them in order!

Well, not to give anything away, but I loved the beginning, which delved into the personal developments in the lives of some of the main characters. The overarching theme is that Will is
Chrissy
My only complaint about this book is that it was published out of order - this should actually be book five. But other than that, this is still a great story and a fun entry in the Ranger's Apprentice series.

Will and Halt are sent on a mission to deliver Princess Cassandra (Evanlyn) to ransom Erak, the leader of Skandia, ally to Araluen. But everything goes pear-shaped when the Arridi kingdom reveals that Erak isn't in the city and they have to go find him and... yeah, I said pear-shaped, right?
Nina Carlsen
I read the first half of this series several years ago and I remember that I really liked, so when I was reminded of it by chance a few days ago I thought I would take it up again. This book had a lot of nostalgia helping it along for me, but I still believe that this is a very enjoyable read. The adventure and the characters are fun and it was nice to read about Will and the others after 8 or 9 years. That being said, I obviously would have enjoyed it more eight years ago. But all in all I thin ...more
S Reeb
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a fun fast pace adventure with Will! Seriously though you have to read this before book five so it makes sense.
Sydney Kirsch
"...if you wait till you think you are ready, you'll wait all your life."
Kim Bahr
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely love the Ranger's Apprentice series! Being back with Will, Halt, Horace, and Evanlyn is like being back with good friends! Can't wait to read on in the series.
Trevor Pence
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. If I had one complaint it was the fact that book 5 talked about Tug. It sort of gave away the ending of the whole "Will lost Tug" section. I knew that Tug wasn't dead because Will still had him in book 5 and book 6
Vampires, Weres a...: The Rangers Apprentice Month Five 25 13 May 29, 2018 12:57AM
Oakleaf Bearers: Erak's Ransom 1 1 Oct 20, 2016 04:28PM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Albrek's Tomb (Adventurers Wanted, #3)
  • Dragon Games (The Books of Umber, #2)
  • The Squire's Quest (The Squire's Tales, #9)
  • Player's Ruse (Knight and Rogue, #3)
  • Rage of Lions (Wereworld, #2)
  • The Thief Queen's Daughter (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme, #2)
  • Silvertongue (Stoneheart Trilogy, #3)
  • The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #5)
  • The Way of the Dragon (Young Samurai, #3)
  • Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3)
  • Trail of Fate (The Youngest Templar, #2)
  • DragonLight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #5)
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • The Soldiers of Halla (Pendragon, #10)
  • The Valley of the Lost (Deltora Quest, #7)
  • Darke (Septimus Heap, #6)
  • Apartment 255

For mysteries by this same author, see John A. Flanagan.

John Flanagan grew up in Sydney, Australia, hoping to be a writer. It wasn't until he wrote a highly uncomplimentary poem about a senior executive at the agency where he worked, however, that his talent was revealed. It

Ranger's Apprentice (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • The Burning Bridge (Ranger's Apprentice, #2)
  • The Icebound Land (Ranger's Apprentice, #3)
  • The Battle for Skandia (Ranger's Apprentice, #4)
  • The Sorcerer in the North (Ranger's Apprentice, #5)
  • The Siege of Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice, #6)
  • The Kings of Clonmel (Ranger's Apprentice, #8)
  • Halt's Peril (Ranger's Apprentice, #9)
  • The Emperor of Nihon-Ja (Ranger's Apprentice, #10)
  • The Lost Stories (Ranger's Apprentice, #11)
“But what if I make a mistake?' Will asked.

Gilan threw back his head and laughed. 'A mistake? One mistake? You should be so lucky. You'll make dozens! I made four or five on my first day alone! Of course you'll make mistakes. Just don't make any of them twice. If you do mess things up, don't try to hide it. Don't try to rationalize it. Recognize it and admit it and learn from it. We never stop learning, none of us.”
636 likes
“Always expect something to go wrong," he told him. "Believe me, if you're wrong, you're not dissapointed. If you're right, you're ready for it.” 273 likes