What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

What Goes Up Must Come Down
This topic is about What Goes Up Must Come Down
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Middle grade book about a boy whose mother won't leave her home. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah (limit722) | 27 comments This was a book I read around 2010-2012ish. It was a middle grade novel that was around 100-200 pages. It was published sometime in the 80's or early to mid 90's, possibly earlier, but I'm pretty sure that's the correct timeframe. It was definitely before the late 90's at least. The story was about this boy who I believe was in fourth grade. His mother had decided when he was little that she wouldn't leave their home (an apartment, I believe) ever again, and she had stuck to it. I don't remember what happened to his dad, but I remember him not being around. This boy had to do everything for his mother that involved going outside. I remember one scene where the boy is sitting on or near a bridge playing cards with his (female) friend, and they accidentally dropped one into the water. Towards the end of the book, the boy goes into the library and hides in there until after they close, and after a while his mother reports him missing, and that's how he forced her to finally leave their home. Now that I think about it, I may have the gender of the MC and their friend swapped. It may have been a girl with a male friend. Either way, it was definitely a male-female friendship. If I remember anything else, I'll definitely keep it updated.

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4327 comments The Law of Gravity? It was also published as What Goes Up Must Come Down.

message 3: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah (limit722) | 27 comments I think that could be it, but I won't know for sure until I can (hopefully, if they have it) get a copy from my library.

message 4: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments Ember wrote: "I think that could be it, but I won't know for sure until I can (hopefully, if they have it) get a copy from my library."

It's available on Internet Archives. You need to be a member to read the books, but membership is free; you just need to give them your e-mail address.

message 5: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah (limit722) | 27 comments Okay, I might check it out, thanks! I'll try to update again in the next week or two, but I may no guarantees seeing as how I'll likely be very busy next week, but still, I'll try.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Still out there, Ember?

This is definitely What Goes Up Must Come Down. Everything matches. The cards falling into the water, hiding in the library overnight, the mom finally coming down from the apartment to meet the police because the MC is missing, etc.

Also, kind of a bizarre note, the author revised this book in 2014 to include updated technology like cell phones, so if you want the original, make sure to buy one of the earlier editions.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Leah, should we mark this Solved?

message 8: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah (limit722) | 27 comments Sorry! Goodreads never notified me, and I had forgotten about this post until today! Yes! you can mark it as solved!

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Awesome, thanks for the update! Glad you found your book. :)