What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Light of the Oracle
This topic is about The Light of the Oracle
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Fantasy: Children in a school get told their magical abilities by being visited by a specific animal. Early 2000’s. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Greenhalgh | 2 comments So I read this book when I was between 8 and 11, I really don’t remember when specifically, which would have been around 2003-06 sometime? My reading was well ahead for my age hence putting this in Young Adult as I don’t remember it feeling like a young children’s book. I only know I loaned it from my local library in Trafford, Manchester and never finished it, but they had plenty of older books in there.

The details I remember for certain are that the protagonist is a young girl, and she’s at a school for people with magical abilities, and once a year before the big solstice dance (I’m not sure which) animals come and visit the first years, the animal that visits tells you what kind of powers you have, if none come, you wait for next year.
There was a stable boy she spoke to and every year a black swan would visit, which means he can communicate with animals (hence working in the stable) but every year he sends it away using this gift before it arrives because he likes working there.
I also remember there being another girl, a friend or room mate? Who’s gift is astrology, and she’s crazy good at it.

Now the details I’m sketchy on/might be mixing with another book. I’m sure she starts off in a boarding school but they notice she’s a little odd, it might start off with her chasing a butterfly? And I’m sure I remember there being either an opal on the cover or maybe in the name? But that could be another book entirely!

Really hoping this is enough info for someone to help, I’ve been looking for this book for years and years!!

message 2: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4323 comments The Light of the Oracle? Some reviewers mention Kiran, a swan-chosen stable boy who can speak to animals.

message 3: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Greenhalgh | 2 comments Oh my goodness that’s it! Thank you so much!