Play Book Tag discussion

Shapely Ankle Preferr'd: A History of the Lonely Hearts Advertisement
This topic is about Shapely Ankle Preferr'd
Archive: Other Books > [Listopia] Shapely Ankle Preferr'd: A history of the lonely hearts advertisement – Francesca Beauman - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1152 comments Over 300 years of history depicting Lonely Hearts advertising in Britain are presented here. From the first in 1765 to the latest internet versions. Beauman presents the typical formats, the sociological reasons for the ads, the differing requirements listed in the ads over time, the fraud, scandal and pranks practiced on the requesters over the whole period. There were often periods of high activity followed by times when they almost stopped. For 50 years during Victoria's reign they nearly ended. This was very interesting as a social history.

message 2: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2666 comments Fascinating - social history is my favourite non-fiction so this is going on the TBR. Thanks so much

message 3: by Magdalena (new) - added it

Magdalena | 414 comments This sounds really interesting and entertaining. I had no idea they've been around so long. 1765 wow! I really look forward to reading this. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Def. going to look into this, how interesting!

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1152 comments If any of you want the book. I can send the copy I just finished. Just pm me with your address.