Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > What is a book

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Epper (new)

Epper Marshall (depperm) | 9 comments When you request to add a new book to good reads you are asked to provide:
* Title
* Author(s) name(s)
* ISBN (or ASIN)
* Publisher
* Publication date
* Format
* Description
* Page count
* Link to book page which includes the cover on a NON-BOOKSELLER site, such as a publisher site, an author site, etc. If linking to a site such as Imgur, Dropbox, etc. please state the original source of the image. No B&N or other bookseller links can be used as sources for covers or other book data, with the exception of Amazon and its subsidiaries.

So a while back I asked a question about the Wandering Inn web novel (at the time it had 3 entries for the 3 volumes it had...again at the time, they seem to have been removed), to add volume 4 and the ongoing volume 5 (see here and here). A mod said about these requests:
This does not appear to meet Goodreads standards for a published book...Ongoing web serials do not meet Goodreads standards for publications. Some are then also released more formally -- not necessarily with ISBNs, but in distinct units -- which may meet Goodreads standards.

As you can see from the Wandering Inn link now it links to the ebook and it contains 1,158 pages (and it isn't clear if it is just volumes 1-3 or 1-4; it is still available online free). For me, 300 pages is considered an average book size but goodreads also has short stories, limited edition/out of print books, and children's books. So I have a multipart question.

1. What is the official definition of a book as defined by goodreads, or what are the exact requirements a writing has to be considered a book by goodreads?
2. Why are some web novels ok and others not? It seems Mother of Learning has been removed too (possibly others), but others exist see Worm (and I'm not trying to attack/remove this book, I'm reading it and enjoying it) The moderator mentioned that web serials released more formally may meet goodread standards but I don't know what those standards are.

I'll ask my other questions later based on answers to these.

message 2: by Epper (new)

Epper Marshall (depperm) | 9 comments As an update I found the librarian guide and it says:

Goodreads considers the following to be valid book records:
* book-length fanfiction which is complete (no WIPs, please), and self-published. Note that we do remove fanfiction at the author's request.
* forthcoming books with only partial information
* books withdrawn from publishing if enough information was ever provided to make a book record a useful resource
* periodicals and bound comic books with ISBNs
* periodicals without ISBNs but substantially similar to books (e.g., perfectbound literary magazines), although they should be typed as "periodical" in the work: media type field
* serialized, web-only editions that have been subsequently published as completed works

I feel like web novels even if they aren't published can be considered book-length fanfiction and self-published or forthcoming book with only partial information.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Worm (other topics)