Horror Aficionados discussion

The Bone Clocks
This topic is about The Bone Clocks
Buddy Reads > The Bone Clock by David Mitchell

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Hello fellow HA readers :)

Kimberly and I are going to read The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell in August (starting in the next few days, although I will maybe only be able to start properly next Monday).
It is connected to the book Slade House which was really great. You can read both books as a stand alone but if you are unsure, Slade House came out after The bone clocks so that's definitely a good starting point.
If you are interested in reading this with us feel free to join us :)

Greetings, Feli

Latasha (latasha513) | 10683 comments Mod
my library has this so I'd like to join. i already borrowed it sooo plzz!

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5734 comments Mod
I have my copy and think I'll be putting some other books aside to start this one. :)

Bryndís | 429 comments one of my favourite books! I have a lot of others to read, so I won't be joining in, but have fun =D

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Welcome Latasha :)

Sounds great, Kimberly. I haven't managed to finish all books in time but I will definitely start tomorrow evening after work. A few pages should be manageable :)

Did anyone of you read another David Mitchell book besides Slade House?
I just saw the movie Cloud Atlas and although it was interesting I had my problems because it was soooo long.. but I get easily bored with movies and distract myself all the time 😅 I heard the book is much better but not for everyone.
I really loved Slade House, so I hope The Bone Clocks will be great too :)

I’ve only read Slade House and liked it.

Slade House was my first, but it was so unique I *had* to check out something else from him.

How is everyone else doing on this one?

I’ve read a little but not much yet.

message 10: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments I just started. Sorry, there was so much work to do *sigh*
+ GR isn't giving me ANY updates... Not from this thread or anything else...
I just saw your review, Kimberly, while updating my own status update.
wow, you were SO fast! Unbelievable. I am scared I won't be able to finish this till the end of August because I am such a low reader 😅

Your already done Kimberly?

Latasha wrote: "Your already done Kimberly?"

I have my youngest home now from summer school, so with all his "special needs", I stay home most of the time. Took it with me wherever he went yesterday. LOL! It really was one of those that I *needed* to know what happens next in! Paul Tremblay's The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay was the last book that had me doing that. Sadly, it is going to be a LOOOONG way until after Labor Day for me.... :(

Oh poor Holly. I'm sure we've all been there and I just wish she knew she could go home again. I'm at the part were she's talking about the first time she saw Jacko.

I'm up to "myrrh is mine, 1991". I hope no one is waiting on this book at the library cause if they are I won't be able to renew it.

message 15: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Latasha wrote: "I'm up to "myrrh is mine, 1991". I hope no one is waiting on this book at the library cause if they are I won't be able to renew it."

Fingers crossed that you can keep the book a while 🤞🏻 :)

I've just finished the first chapter (Holly) and will have time to continue reading tomorrow.
Will write some thoughts tonight after work, but I really liked that first chapter and the characters!

Feli wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I'm up to "myrrh is mine, 1991". I hope no one is waiting on this book at the library cause if they are I won't be able to renew it."

Fingers crossed that you can keep the book a w..."

I loved that first chapter! There was so much in the character development. :D

I did too. I like Holly.

message 18: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Ahh, sorry. I still have to catch up. It's more work than I thought it would be this week... (still working and it's after midnight :-/). I will definitely catch up tomorrow and Thursday. So, so sorry!! Love the book and can't wait to read more :)

message 19: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Latasha wrote: "I'm up to "myrrh is mine, 1991". I hope no one is waiting on this book at the library cause if they are I won't be able to renew it."

I am starting this chapter this evening.

So, the first chapter was really good and interesting, I was just a bit confused by all the names and stuff that happened at the bungalow.
I also kind of like Brubrick (was that his name?). He seems to be one of the good ones.

I'm not enjoying chapter 2 as much. I can't keep the guys straight and they all seem like assholes.

Latasha wrote: "I'm not enjoying chapter 2 as much. I can't keep the guys straight and they all seem like assholes."

LOL! That was the same problem I had with some of the chapters! Some made much more sense to me than others....

does it get better? I'm about ready to give up on it.

Latasha wrote: "does it get better? I'm about ready to give up on it."

I'm not the right person to ask--I reviewed it, but only liked "some" chapters, and found others too confusing to keep track of.

of coarse you are! well....Slade House was definitely better.

Latasha wrote: "of coarse you are! well....Slade House was definitely better."
:) That was my opinion of the two books, as well. ;)

message 26: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Latasha wrote: "I'm not enjoying chapter 2 as much. I can't keep the guys straight and they all seem like assholes."

Thought the same! This chapter didn't start so well... But it got slightly better at the end. But most of it wasn't that great. I really didn't like those characters.

Started Chapter 3 and am hoping this chapter also will be better later on.

I don't think I'm going to finish this one. my loan expires in 2 days and I don't think I can renew it. I did not see that option so I think that means there is people waiting on it.

message 28: by Feli (new) - rated it 4 stars

Feli (felifirefly) | 484 comments Latasha wrote: "I don't think I'm going to finish this one. my loan expires in 2 days and I don't think I can renew it. I did not see that option so I think that means there is people waiting on it."

Oh, that's not good. One reason I don't like borrowing books.. I am a slow reader and this would happen to me all the time..

But if you didn't loved the book by now, maybe it's okay if you don't finish it. Or you can pick it up later again some day.

I think it's good so far, but don't love it as much as Slade House. I like books that are more on the 'fantasy'-grenre, but am not sure if I will like all of it. Chapters 2 and 3 started very low, and I just hope this won't be the case with every upcoming chapter.
I will finish the book, though. It may take some time ^^

message 29: by Sonya (new) - added it

Sonya marie madden | 756 comments I'm also a slow reader. So don't feel bad

For me it definitely depends on the book. If it’s grabs me, I won’t put it down.