Start by marking “The Cabin at the End of the World” as Want to Read:
The Cabin at the End of the World

The Cabin at the End of the World

3.32  ·  Rating details ·  17,789 ratings  ·  3,325 reviews
The Bram Stoker Award-winning author of A Head Full of Ghosts adds an inventive twist to the home invasion horror story in a heart-palpitating novel of psychological suspense that recalls Stephen King’s Misery, Ruth Ware’s In a Dark, Dark Wood, and Jack Ketchum’s cult hit The Girl Next Door.

Seven-year-old Wen and her parents, Eric and Andrew, are vacationing at a remote ca
Audiobook, Unabridged/eAudiobook, 10 pages
Published June 26th 2018 by HarperAudio

To ask other readers questions about The Cabin at the End of the World, please sign up.
Patricia Listen to the reviewers who said this book is awful. It isn't just the narrator. The premise is absurd, the characters are thin and unbelievable, the…moreListen to the reviewers who said this book is awful. It isn't just the narrator. The premise is absurd, the characters are thin and unbelievable, the plot is confused and unclear, the violence unmotivated and unjustified, and worst of all, it is boring and repetitious. (less)

·  17,789 ratings  ·  3,325 reviews

karen
oooh, goodreads choice awards semifinalist for best horror 2018! what will happen?

what. the. fuck. was. that?

here’s the thing, ever since paul tremblay wrote A Head Full of Ghosts and slipped in a character named “karen brissette” whose voice sounded an awful lot like the inside of my own (ghostless) head, i’ve been pestering him with, “am i gonna be in the next book, huh?? huh?? huh?? am i??"

but i am so glad to not be in this one because YEESH.

i don’t even know how to review it.

it’s pretty te
Will Byrnes
When the end is near will you know it? Will signs appear to show it? And what sort of end will it be? Ice or fire? Conflagration? Land consumed by an angry sea? And what if there’s uncertainty? What if this is not the result of that, but just the way things are, under no one’s control to cause or prevent? And if there is no control, what is the role of those who speak on behalf of an unseen power? Do they suffer from confusion, perhaps delusion? Can we take them at their word? What if they insis ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(2.5) The book started great but it quickly fell flat. It probably would have made a better short story.
Don't recommend the audiobook as some characters sounded quite robotic and it took me out of the story.

Overall it left me wanting to find more books with a similar premise since it didn't give me what I want.

Any recommendation of books where you don't know who's crazy/telling the truth?
Chelsea Humphrey
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
Shelves: from-publisher
3.5 STARS

"Your dads won't let us in, Wen. But they have to. Tell them they have to. We are not here to hurt you. We need your help to save the world. Please."

I love that, when you pick up a Paul Tremblay novel, you never know exactly what you're getting yourself into until you finish the book. Each one of his novels are widely different in plot, but also wholly similar in their unsettling and deliciously compulsive nature. Each of his fans have their own personal favorite; for me, that's A Head
Debra
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edelweiss

When I first started reading this book, I thought if the horror films "The Strangers" and "The Cabin in the woods" had a baby - it would be this book! Of course, there are major differences (and plots) but still....

A getaway to a cabin sounds like a perfect time away for Wen and her two dads. They are going to relax, she wants to catch some grasshoppers and they plan to enjoy the lake. But one day a man approaches Wen while she is busy catching her grasshoppers and tells her "None of wh
Char
THE CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD takes a look at an American family and asks what are you willing to do to protect them? But this book asks that question in an unique way- right before it rips your heart out and stomps all over it!

Eric and Andrew take their daughter Wen on vacation to a remote cabin located on a lake in the woods of New Hampshire. It's been deliberately chosen because it has no cell service, no internet, no nothing. They want to spend this time together, uninterrupted as a fami
Johann (jobis89)
"Too many people have smiles that don't mean what a smile is supposed to mean."

Eric and Andrew are staying in a remote cabin on a New Hampshire lake with their seven-year-old child, Wen, who is catching grasshoppers in the garden when a large man appears. He is friendly at first and is starting to win Wen over when he abruptly says, "None of what is going to happen is your fault." Three more strangers then appear in the driveway holding deadly weapons...

This has probably been my most disappointi
Carol
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DARK. VERY DARK.

Can see why Stephen King endorsed this gripping and horrifying tale....Yikes!

The creepy, unsettling start - - A sweet, but cautious seven-year-old Wen knows very well she shouldn't talk to strangers, but this BIG guy is so nice and is helping her catch grasshoppers after all so everything is copacetic until his repeated requests for her help become frightening.

Run to the cabin she does to warn daddy Eric and daddy Andrew. The cabin doors are bolted....the man as BIG as a bou

Michelle
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did you ever finish a book then realize you have absolutely no idea how to review it? Well, that is this book for me. I'm afraid of saying anything about the plot because of spoilers. I really think this is a book that is best to go into blind.

First and foremost Paul Tremblay gave us characters that you immediately care for. Eric, Andrew, and their adopted daughter Wen are such a breath of fresh air. They feel so real and their interactions with one another were so natural and fluid. That's how
Zoeytron
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: public-library
A little girl chasing and catching grasshoppers runs into a gentle giant who wants to be her friend, offering to help her catch more of the insects.  That seems okay to her at first, but then he starts bugging her to let him inside the cabin to talk with her dads, assuring her that none of what is going to happen will be her fault.

I almost got a tension neck reading this with my shoulders all scrunched up like an old crone.  I'm not kidding.  I liked this author's A Head Full of G
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
um. whAT THE FUCK WAS THAT??!!!

WTF.

I’m just— what the actually....

*Glares intensifies at book sitting on the table*

“GAH YOU’RE SO POINTLESS!!!” I scream.

OK. Great premise. I can understand the obscurity and redundancy of it— the ‘Unknown’. Writing was decent. Very engaging. But the pacing. THE PACING. Oh god, THE FUCKING PACING . I’m done.

D O N E.

How—
What in the world was this mess. Too much repetition that tried hard to give these characters back stories but instead, fucking backfired in a
Tobin Elliott
Jul 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
And I'm done. This book felt like it took forever to get through, but that was mostly due to all the goddamn padding of story that went nowhere.

And speaking of stories that go nowhere, at no point did any of the four just stop, take five minutes, and explain what it was specifically that not only initially convinced them to risk their lives to come to this spot, but also why they believe what they believe. At no point did Tremblay provide any motivation beyond, "I believe it." Lame.

The narrative
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Review first appeared in the September/October 2018 issue of Scream Magazine!
UPDATE: July 2nd, 2019 Congratulations to Paul for winning the Locus Award and the Stoker Award for achievement in a novel.

So this book, The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay is going to be my new ‘go-to’ recommendation for any reader that still thinks horror is only “blood & guts and scary stuff”. But hang in there with me
megs_bookrack

What are words?
What does anything mean?
Did I just read this?
What did I just read?
Is there anybody out there?
Are you there God, it's me Meg?

Wen and her Daddies, Andrew and Eric, head off on a family vacation to a little cabin in the woods of New Hampshire to unplug from the world for a while. The cutest little family ever to family. I fell in love with them from the very first chapter and knew immediately
Carrie
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay is a tale of horror that doesn’t involve things like ghosts or demons but uses tension and suspense to keep a reader on the edge just waiting to see what will happen. With the threat of an apocalypse and intense need to protect family the fear and anticipation was oozing from the pages.

The story begins with seven year old Wen out in front of the cabin that she is staying in with her two dads, Eric and Andrew, just doing what kids should do playi
Carol (Bookaria)
This is a horror novel and explores what happens to a family when strangers forcefully visit the remote cabin where they are vacationing.

As you read the novel, you will go on a gripping journey with the family that has been invaded and will be asking yourself many questions, who are these strangers? What do they want? Should you believe what they say?

The novel is engaging and I found myself caring about the characters and their fates. The plot moved at a moderate pace and the author did a great
Beverly
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jessica Woodbury
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, horror
I read a book in one sitting every now and then when the book is short and the circumstances are just right. This book is not that short and the circumstances were not ideal but I could not stop reading it. So be careful when you start this book. If it is night time and you are in bed, when you finally finish it you're going to have a hard time getting to sleep even if you've stayed up to the wee hours.

Horror novels and thrillers should, in my opinion, mainly be exercises in creating feelings or
Gabby
I don't think I've ever had so much anxiety while reading a book before. I read this book late at night and it gave me so much anxiety I literally jumped all the smallest sound off i the distance. This is a horror/thriller novel about this family who gets attacked in their home. It follows a gay couple Eric and Andrew and their daughter Wen. I loved reading about a LGBT characters in a thriller, because they are so underrepresented in thrillers, and it's amazing to see it being normalized like t ...more
Peter Monn
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sooo good. Not what I expected at all. A true thriller. My full review will be up on my booktube channel at http://YouTube.com/peterlikesbooks
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
I typically write my reviews as soon as I'm done reading the book so my thoughts are fresh and I say exactly how I felt as I turned that last page. With this one, I'm glad I took the night to mull my thoughts over. Tremblay has outdone himself with this book. The blurb on the back cover sums it up perfectly: a "...gripping tale of paranoia, sacrifice, apocalypse and survival..." You really don't need to know anything more than that before going in.

The beginning starts off innocently enough as we
LeAnne: GeezerMom
This had an interesting, meaty premise that would have worked very well for a short story or novella. Unfortunately, the author stretched that premise so hard that it was more like the thinned skin of a balloon that really ought not to be filled with that much hot air.

(view spoiler)
Krystal
I don't even know what I just read but I LOVED IT.

This is more suspense/thriller than outright horror but it is 100% DISTURBING. I spent the entire novel trying to figure out what was going on and just had to let it all unfold in front of me. No guessing was ever going to help with this story.

I don't want to talk too much about the plot as part of the fun comes from having no clue what's happening, or why, but I did really enjoy the - excuse my language - absolute mindfuck of trying to work out
Justin
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Well, friends, I hate to say it, but Paul Tremblay is a one hit wonder.

I loved A Head Full of Ghosts. It was a fantastic new ghost story that felt fresh and gothic all at the same time. It was well-written, suspenseful, creepy...

His next book was a huge letdown for me. Suddenly, with Devil’s Rock, Tremblay thinks he is Charles Dickens and writes in a completely different tone. Nothing about that book really worked for me at all.

And now, here we are with a cabin somewhere off at the end of the
Ron
I like Tremblay for his ability to take a typical horror concept and create something atypical. Possession, a lost child mystery, an apocalypse. He has put a new spin on each of those. The same attribute sets The Cabin at the End of the World apart from its predecessors. If there's a problem for me, it came in the execution. The scope feels small. A microcosm within a big picture kind of story, with an ending that didn't say enough. Not a bad read overall. Right in the middle somewhere.
Tammy
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: release-2018
What can I say but that Paul Tremblay is brilliant! Full of dark suspense, paranoia and fear.. this story will definitely blow your mind!!! Crazy intense to the end (which left me wanting more), a solid 5 heart-stopping ☆ read for me. No second guessing to adding A Head Full of Ghosts to my tbr!
Schizanthus
Trigger warnings for gory violence, home invasion, flashbacks and discussion of a homophobic hate crime, and scenes that may cause your blood pressure to rise.

This is one of those books where you’re certain going into it that you know what you’re getting yourself into, but then you learn you had no idea. An isolated cabin in the woods inhabited by a family whose respite is interrupted by a group of strangers with possible mayhem in mind. That’s been done before, right? I’ve seen the movies.

What
The Grim Reader
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
For me personally, It’s been a bumpy old road reading Paul Tremblay. I enjoyed A Head Full of Ghosts but failed to finish Disappearance at Devil’s Rock. The reason for me failing to finish it was largely down to the way in which everything was described in excruciating detail…and I mean everything! Unfortunately, The Cabin at the End of the World suffers the same fate. And this is just one of the problems I had with the book.

To start off, I read this book on Kindle and I really enjoyed the first
Marialyce
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
3.5 scare the wits out of you stars

"You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end. "For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes.

A young child, Wen, is playing outside a isolated cabin when a man approaches her. She is drawn to him with his friendly smile and his way of talking and yet after a bit of time she becomes a
Mindi
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC in a giveaway from the author.

I'm going to hide any major spoilers in this review, but I am including a short synopsis, so if you want to go into this book knowing nothing you should stop right here.

Seven-year-old Wen and her dads Eric and Andrew take a vacation to a remote cabin on a lake in New Hampshire. Wen is catching grasshoppers in the front yard when a large man approaches her and tries to befriend her. She's initially hesitant and considers getting her dads, but Leon

• Kill Creek
  • The Valancourt Book of Horror Stories: Volume One
  • Elizabeth
  • No One Gets Out Alive
  • The Chosen Seed (The Dog-Faced Gods, #3)
  • We Sold Our Souls
  • Blood Standard (Isaiah Coleridge, #1)
  • The Hunger
  • The Devil and the Deep
  • The Complex
  • The Summer is Ended and We Are Not Yet Saved
  • House of Windows
Paul Tremblay is the author of DISAPPEARANCE AT DEVIL'S ROCK and the award-winning A HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS. His other novels include THE LITTLE SLEEP (Henry Holt), NO SLEEP TILL WONDERLAND (Henry Holt), SWALLOWING A DONKEY'S EYE (Chizine Publications), and the YA novel FLOATING BOY AND THE GIRL WHO COULDN'T FLY (co-written with Stephen Graham Jones, as P. T. Jones).

He is the author of the short sto
“Andrew is not good at mollifying, at saying what people want to hear. He excels at saying what he wants people to hear. That is not the same as telling-it-like-it-is, a folksy descriptor that is spin for being an entitled asshole.” 3 likes
“He’d irrationally hoped he could somehow put off indefinitely the future day on which she would recognize cruelty, ignorance, and injustice were the struts and pillars of the social order, as unavoidable and inevitable as the weather.” 1 likes